Rune crossbow, really the best?

bedman

Yes, that would be more accurate. Unfortunately, it's also significantly more work -- more than I'm willing to do, personally.

really? i'd find the pressure of having to time the start and ends of kills to be a little much

Easily done with a sports timer. Having to count individual hits would require either videoing or extraordinary concentration, IMO.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right that more tests should be done, and also outside kuradal's dungeon. Diamond (e)'s are nice, but I was more testing for every day training ammo, not the boss hunting ammo, even though even there crystal bow might be quite good. That's why karil's crossbow isn't an option either (would cost too much) for normal training. I'm also pretty sure that sighted longbow is gonna be trash. Crystal bow and broad bolts were already insanely accurate. Even darts were very accurate actually. But who knows, on mith drags or something perhaps...

crystal bow trick: It degraded about every 10 min, so it's easy to time, especially if you use overloads.

Yet you tested with rune arrows and darts, which frankly are not the best for every-day use. Try either adamant arrows/darts or rune bolts.

I bought 6k rune darts when they were 160 gp each. At that price, they are very reasonable for every day use. Rune arrows have been in my bank for ages. Was surprised they were 400 gp each. I thought it would be more like 250. You are right though, at current prices, rune arrows aren't very economical, nor are darts.

you get the option of a shield slot with rune crossbow.. and there was literally almost 2 years between smoking kills and the crossbow update.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

you get the option of a shield slot with rune crossbow.. and there was literally almost 2 years between smoking kills and the crossbow update.

That's useful for boss monsters, but not as much for training. Zammy book is nice, especially the prayer bonus, but I prefer crystal bow + SW cape for more prayer bonus, and only 2 less accuracy.

The whole "story" in the beginning was just to put the whole thing in some sort of context. I went by my memory, but of course I'm probably wrong indeed at some places. Thing is, it's not that important, it's just a filler :-)

Btw, I just did a very short (5 min) test on dark beasts with crystal bow vs. broad bolts. It was not very accurate because I'm not used to play on this computer (missed quite a few attack turns here and there). This time broad bolts came out slightly better, so yeah, more tests need to be done.

Still seems strange to me to see people discussing using ranged for "normal" killing. Think I'm still stuck in the mindset of ranged is only useful for bosses and killing things in cages :P.

It pretty much still is. Melee still kicks the butt of any of these methods. Even with the ferocious ring.

For example...

I did a quick test on dark beasts in Kuradal's dungeon. (Ididn't record all the parameters, which is why I haven't published this as a formal test).

Results:

Addy knives: 25:05 for 40 kills

Rune knives: 21:59 for 40 kills

Rune darts (p): 24:49 for 40 kills

Whip+defender: 19:25 for 40 kills

BTW, if there's a ranged weapon that's underrated, it's the hunter crossbow.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It's a low level bow for low level rangers. The bolts are a pain to collect in masses making it much easier to use traditional bows and crossbows.

Does anyone use bone crossbows anymore?

It's a low level bow for low level rangers. The bolts are a pain to collect in masses making it much easier to use traditional bows and crossbows.

Does anyone use bone crossbows anymore?

aside from a book slot, a magic shortbow + rune arrows are better than a hunter crossbow + long kebbit bolts in every way

and bone crossbows are kinda pointless now that they've been nerfed, that and u cant buy bone bolts in bulk anymore.

Naaxi.png

There is no one all powerfull best ranged weapon. You can't test ranged options in just one setting, and assume it applies everywhere :shame:

I would love to see you get the same results on something like a Black Dragon, which has a much higher defense then Gargoyles, and is also not in Kuradal's Dungeon.

Also take into consideration people training while NOT on a slayer task, what's best for them then? Does it change? Does it stay the same?

There are way too many variables in play with ranged to say that one ranged weapon is the best. If the monster has low def, and you're in a place like Kuradal's, then something like darts/knives is easily better, on monsters with A LOT of defense and high Hp, you want an accurate and strong weapon, such as the crossbow.

I would be interested to see some real extended testing done with ranged, figure which monsters it's better to use certain forms of ranged and such. But that would take forever to test all the ranged methods on all the popular monsters :blink:

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

There is no one all powerfull best ranged weapon. You can't test ranged options in just one setting, and assume it applies everywhere :shame:

I would love to see you get the same results on something like a Black Dragon, which has a much higher defense then Gargoyles, and is also not in Kuradal's Dungeon.

Also take into consideration people training while NOT on a slayer task, what's best for them then? Does it change? Does it stay the same?

There are way too many variables in play with ranged to say that one ranged weapon is the best. If the monster has low def, and you're in a place like Kuradal's, then something like darts/knives is easily better, on monsters with A LOT of defense and high Hp, you want an accurate and strong weapon, such as the crossbow.

I would be interested to see some real extended testing done with ranged, figure which monsters it's better to use certain forms of ranged and such. But that would take forever to test all the ranged methods on all the popular monsters :blink:

Some valid points. For me personally, these tests were interesting because of the results with the crystal bow. I mainly did it to see how well it performed against all those new weapons. Conclusion is that it's actually still pretty damn good, and I love the fact that you don't have to worry about ammo on the floor (some safespots dont work with ava's accumulator for instance). Also, it has the same accuracy as the rune crossbow, so unless bolts somehow add accuracy, it will perform just as well on high def monsters. So "an accurate and strong weapon" like you said, might as well be the crystal bow.

I know darts and knives are awesome for raw xp/h at low def monsters (and moreso in kuradal's dungeon), no surprises there. However, I liked using the crystal bow much more due to no ammo on the floor.

I dunno. I think I'd rather pick up ammo off the floor occasionally than have to constantly count how many shots I've taken to swap the bow to avoid it degrading. That sounds like a real hassle.

Rune crossbows hit much harder than the crystal bow if you are using broad or better bolts.

In the tests I have done so far, darts and knives are not appreciably faster even on low-def monsters, even in Kuradal's. They *are* more expensive (though many people have unsellable rune darts rotting in the bank anyway). Now that my Dungeoneering marathon is over I'll consider looking at that again.

The hunter crossbow's attraction is cheap ammo and fast shooting speed. It is *far* superior to the bone crossbow.

signew2.png

I love the fact that you don't have to worry about ammo on the floor (some safespots dont work with ava's accumulator for instance). Also, it has the same accuracy as the rune crossbow

However, I liked using the crystal bow much more due to no ammo on the floor.

thar's a silly excuse, shooting a rune crossbow without an accumulator, for an hour, costs 144k, a crystal bow costs 108k, is that really a substantial difference?

Honestly I use a soul wars cape instead of an accumulator with rune crossbows now.

and I still don't bother looting the ammo.

you really should never ever loot the ammo you fire, unless you're using dragon arrows or something.

Naaxi.png

I love the fact that you don't have to worry about ammo on the floor (some safespots dont work with ava's accumulator for instance). Also, it has the same accuracy as the rune crossbow

thar's a silly excuse, shooting a rune crossbow without an accumulator, for an hour, costs 144k, a crystal bow costs 108k, is that really a substantial difference?

Honestly I use a soul wars cape instead of an accumulator with rune crossbows now.

you really should never ever loot the ammo you fire, unless you're using dragon arrows or something.

not even diamond (e)'s? :blink:

i think for me it's just the issue that i feel like i'm wasting something if i don't loot my bolts. i pick up even by broads. granted, they're always in piles of 20 or so cause the only time i use range is for td's and prime.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

not even diamond (e)'s? :blink:

i think for me it's just the issue that i feel like i'm wasting something if i don't loot my bolts. i pick up even by broads. granted, they're always in piles of 20 or so cause the only time i use range is for td's and prime.

Touche :P

Naaxi.png

Okay, poitn taken.

Hmm, seems that all in all, broads are indeed one of the best, and for sure the most versatile.

I never understood the fascination with abandoning accumulators with the crystal bow. The arrows are what 70 each? And there is no way to change that, while with broads at 90 or so each you have the option to let them fall on the ground in the same way or pick them up/use accumulator and decrease their cost.

Besides having a more aesthetically pleasing runescape world I don't see how using a cape with the crystal bow is better than with collectable ammo.

Also, if it weren't for the arrow counting annoyance I'm sure that several more people(myself included) would use crystal bows, but I personally find it annoying as hell to even recharge barrows and the only piece that I ever use is a v helm...not looking forward to chaotic weapons...

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I still prefer to use Crystal Bow for DK's and things that I want to range on a slayer task. Although I can honestly say that I'm not too surprised with the Crystal Bow being as good as it shows. Broad Bolts are simply just cheaper to use, and are a versitile option as compared to a Magic Bow or Crystal bow because you can use a Zammy Book, or Shield, or whatever.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

Yet you tested with rune arrows and darts, which frankly are not the best for every-day use. Try either adamant arrows/darts or rune bolts.

I bought 6k rune darts when they were 160 gp each. At that price, they are very reasonable for every day use. Rune arrows have been in my bank for ages. Was surprised they were 400 gp each. I thought it would be more like 250. You are right though, at current prices, rune arrows aren't very economical, nor are darts.

Not only that, I also were implying that you're using bolts equivalent to adamant and darts/arrows equivalent to rune. It is also (or were) a common knowledge that crystal bow's strenght is equivalent to rune. So for appropriate tests you'd have to do rune bolts, which would then prove that they're the best (seeing as how little difference there is between broad and others).

Profins.png

specty.png

I knew about the xp rate with crystal; I trained 80-99 range with it at fire giants in 2005-2006 (before crossbows/armadyl/void range/eagle eye etc..) I used to get 65-70k xp per hour using ranging potions and max range bonus (Ranger set + black d hides + fury + archer ring).

For Dag Kings crystal bow is king; The additional range means that you can stand way back and not have to worry about attracting the attention of supreme like you do with the rune crossbow and karil's crossbow.

The additional prayer bonus from using a soul wars cape makes a big difference to the length of the trip too, especially if you use overloads. if you're using a unicorn you don't need a shield. If you use yak it doesn't matter so much as you have 30+ brews anyway.

Crystal bow with overload and eagle eye is very fast on prime, surpassed in speed only by Karil's crossbow (which is 4x more expensive and has a much shorter range).

If solo tribriding, you can also kill prime on rapid while rex is lured to you (Best way to solo tribrid: get prime to 10hp, kill rex, kill prime, kill supreme, lure rex, get prime to 10 hp, kill prime, kill rex etc etc..)