Magic is overpowered

howbadisbad

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Son, if a 48-48 Dbow special isn't end-game to you, then gf.

It isn't

So gf?

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

It isn't

So gf?

It is

so gf?

See what I did there? I didn't provide an argument, I just said "yer rong lolol."

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

mage is probable the 1 skill id love to see go to 120 with some new spells, spells above barrage and spells above surge would be so sweet

but before you jump to saying that would runin everything, with 120 str ud hit just as high or higher, 120 range is about same, and 120 hp max makes anti-ko

also like 20 people would have that anyways so it woudlnt be too op

i think mage needs a prayer that boosts dmg, range has one, melee has one, mage only boosts accuracy not dmg

melee and range still dominate mage in pvm so not realy valid to say mage is op in my book because freezing a guy at mage bank doesnt apply to me or someone else who only bosses and slays

a_final_name.png

It isn't

So gf?

It is

so gf?

See what I did there? I didn't provide an argument, I just said "yer rong lolol."

I don't need to post an argument because this person obviously is just stating max hits for the lulz and has no idea what he is talking about, he has no idea that in pvp the chances of hitting max with a dbow, or even high at that, are extremely small.

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

I don't need to post an argument because this person obviously is just stating max hits for the lulz and has no idea what he is talking about, he has no idea that in pvp the chances of hitting max with a dbow, or even high at that, are extremely small.

So what, hitting 600's with ancients is pretty dam ducking hard as well.

As a KO weapon, dark bow is definately up there, and while not exactly in the consistent damage department, crossbow more than fills that niche.

I mean, even those ancient mage hybriders used melee and ranged for there KO's, this is despite risking arcane streams and other crazy shet, because mage ko potential is small in comparison to melee and ranges.

O.O

i think that this kind of evens out the combat triangle...jagex keeps powering up each different attack style one at a time. at this rate we will be 1 hit k0ing people b4 we know it.

i think that this kind of evens out the combat triangle...jagex keeps powering up each different attack style one at a time. at this rate we will be 1 hit k0ing people b4 we know it.

This is lame as well, random insta deaths are stupid.

But then again, safing is a little less stupid in P2p. Even if they safe like nutjobs you still have a fighting chance at a KO.

O.O

But then again, safing is a little less stupid in P2p. Even if they safe like nutjobs you still have a fighting chance at a KO.

i see much more damage reducing armor in the future

a_final_name.png

i see much more damage reducing armor in the future

And I see more powerfull weapons in the future. Same jagex cycle.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

Magic is by far the most costly combat skill, and thus it should be overpowered in comparison. On a cost-damage basis, the combat triangle is pretty damn even.

[2010] Proud Member of Downfall

[2004-2005] Former Leader of The Unbreakables, Former Member of Corruption, Former Member of 'The' Clan

(...and Anarchy for a few weeks... shhh...)

So what, hitting 600's with ancients is pretty dam ducking hard as well.

As a KO weapon, dark bow is definately up there, and while not exactly in the consistent damage department, crossbow more than fills that niche.

I mean, even those ancient mage hybriders used melee and ranged for there KO's, this is despite risking arcane streams and other crazy shet, because mage ko potential is small in comparison to melee and ranges.

Magic maxes out around 50 not 60 lulz. I almost have an arcane stream so I will test out the accuracy of hits myself.

Range hits less than mage excluding its one weapon that has 1 special and probably won't hit high unless your in void and the opponent is in rune or less.

arcane_stew.png

I don't really think the dungeoneering req will be for the dragon defender... Jagex stated they are still working on the defender and are figuring a place to put it in the game. With Batch 2 for dung just around the corner, doesn't it sound reasonable that Jagex would have figured out a dung req was the best? It doesn't sound like them to wait till the 11th hour in editing an update for more content. The dragon defender is a big and highly anticipated item. I think it requires more planning than "throw a dung req on it" right before batch 2 is released. I predict quest reward involving the warriors guild, because it seems too simple to just throw it in as a cyclops drop and let the warrior guild overflow. At the same time, the quest would have to involve the warrior's guild (and have a rune def req) or else people could skip bronze-rune defenders and go for dragon.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Range hits less than mage excluding its one weapon that has 1 special and probably won't hit high unless your in void and the opponent is in rune or less.

Range is not meant to be good against melee d'oh.

1 weapon?

dark bow

hand cannon

morrigans jav

oh looky i see 3

a_final_name.png

Magic is nowhere near overpowered. The fact is that all the powerful "end-game" weapons are all ridiculously powerful, some belonging to melee, others to ranged. range has no endgame weapons, lul.The fact that Magic seemingly got "overpowered"with the Arcane Stream necklace, despite the only way to use it at its best is to go absolutely all out with 99 Magic and one of the best Magic offensive bonuses possible, actually means Magic is much closer to being balanced in power then being overpowered. Magic is once again close to where it should be in the combat triangle.

To help you understand, nuclear weapons are overpowered. One country can have 5 nuclear warheads. Another has 5. The third country has 2 or 3 nuclear weapons, meaning there's no balance of power between those three countries. Said country builds 3 more nuclear warheads to keep up the balance of power between them. Since this doesn't make sense

Magic may be "overpowered" on the surface, but it's actually a balance of power in respect to the damage melee and ranged can do (which were superior to magic before this update). Not to mention you have to go 100% all out w/stream Necklace and the best Magic boosting gear to even match the brokeness you can inflict with Ranged and Melee w/o even trying. which means Magic is actually barely balanced with Ranged and Melee now.Magic has the highest DPS in the game. l2pk

A player with level 86 strength with a 148 Strength Bonus (Armadyl Godsword, Dragon Gauntlets, Dragon Boots, Helm of Neitiznot, Amulet of Glory) with Ultimate Strength prayer, Super Strength Potion and AGS special can potentially inflict 580 damage. someone with 94 mage can hit nearly as high with much more accuracy and speed

99 Magic, which is a lot longer to get, with Arcane Stream necklace and the best offensive Magic bonus possible, can hit over 600 with Ice Barrage. The player with the same strength-boosting gear but with 99 strength can hit 676...which is about the absolute maximum Magic can hit with one attack. Melee can hit even higher with a maximum +205 strength bonus and 99 strength, inflicting over 900 damage, with a single AGS special. Ranged can two hit someone with over 900 hp in a single special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpanCqXuL4 (old HP system). CAN is the keyword here.

You think Magic is overpowered? Not by a longshot. lawl you have no idea what you are talking about

and lol@people saying Ranged is underpowered. Ranged generally dominates melee in the PvP triangle and can freakin' 2 hit people with 1 DarkBow special.

That is not right. Wow you have obviously never pked before or have had almost no experience with it, I can tell just by this statement.

This is coming form a guy with 58 mage and 65 range. Nice.

1) You clearly don't understand the nuclear analogy. It's really not hard to understand at all. Melee and Ranged are far more powerful then Mage in comparison. Magic got a boost to match their level of brokeness, hence the adding of two "nuclear warheads" to "magic".

2) One of the highest. Ranged and Melee can easily match Magic DPS with a combo. You also clearly haven't seen D Claws in action or a Dark Bow if you think Magic has the highest DPS in the game...rofl. D Claws can hit over 930 damage in one special that takes about a second....Magic just matches that. Not to mention even if it doesn't max out damage, it inflicts high damage consistently none the less. Both the AGS and D Claws special have been acclaimed for their incredibly high accuracy - the same you cite for Magic. It is not more nor less accurate than Magic attacks with an Arcane Stream Necklace - it is the same. Not to mention the EXTREMELY HIGH risk you carry when you even PK to get that kind of accuracy with Magic. Pkers would need to risk tens of millions to hundreds of millions if considering to pk with Magic to get the consistency and damage you claim. Ranged and Melee have the same consistency for much, much less of a risk financially. Dark Bow can two hit people with it's special for about 900 damage a special which also takes about a second in the video I linked to. Again, Magic is balanced with Ranged.

3)AGS special is one of the most accurate attacks in the entire game....Magic is balanced with that. If someone worked to 94 mage, a feat in itself, it deserves to have that accuracy.

4) Melee and Ranged can hit consistently as high as Magic considering you need all three of them to go all out to even reach about the same DPS...so no.

5) The funny thing is, you have 90+ Magic and Ranged and you have no idea what you're talking about.

From the second you make the statement that Magic is overpowered, anyone can tell you've never PK'ed before, or even PK'ed with Magic, because if you had fought long enough to see what Melee and Ranged can do, you would come to the correct conclusion that the combat triangle is finally balanced.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

As far as mage goes, I want two things:

1.) More rune saving items or, at the very least, I want it so that you can pay cash to have battle robes recharged instead of having to play more games of Fist of Guthix (Which, for the record, I can't stand). Well, either that, or I'd like it so that the higher your magic level, the greater the chance of casting a spell without using the requisite runes.

2.) A spell which is on par damage wise with dragon bolts/dark bow/chaotic weapons.

I don't have much problem with mage right now.

...Oh, but I do have a problem with the chaotic x-bow and the chaotic staff. Those are completely and utterly useless, and I can't imagine why anyone would waste money on them. The chaotic x-bow, especially, is a waste of money, as it only has +10 range attack on the rune x-bow.

It's about time the combat triangle actually worked. Most people melee in pvp, and magic beats melee. Nothing overpowered there.

Yet magic completely destroys range, obviously a problem there.

Range is underpowered HUGELY. I agree. It wouldn't hurt jagex to add a new super powerful range weapon, like a gun or something, range would own magic if it had an ak-47.

Mm.

Melee=knife

Ranged=gun

gun>knife

ranged>melee, tbh

Oh, but yeah, is Ranged "underpowered" when compared to Magic? Possibly. By that much? Depends on the gear. I'm sure with the right Ranged set up you can dominate even a Mager who has the Arcane Stream necklace.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

It's about time the combat triangle actually worked. Most people melee in pvp, and magic beats melee. Nothing overpowered there.

Yet magic completely destroys range, obviously a problem there.

Range is underpowered HUGELY. I agree. It wouldn't hurt jagex to add a new super powerful range weapon, like a gun or something, range would own magic if it had an ak-47.

Let's be realistic, shall we? If anything, it'd be an Armadyl Crossbow.

A guy with armadyl, d bolts, dbow for spec, and spectral or dfs will rip apart a mager with sol, arcane stream, arcane ss, and ahrims. Its not even a contest. The person with mage must have a melee weapon to hybrid with to have a chance. He cannot do it with just spells.

pere_grin.png

A guy with armadyl, d bolts, dbow for spec, and spectral or dfs will rip apart a mager with sol, arcane stream, arcane ss, and ahrims. Its not even a contest. The person with mage must have a melee weapon to hybrid with to have a chance. He cannot do it with just spells.

Yeah, a mage can. Drink an antifire, leech their special attack, use Miasmic and farcast their crossbow.

2) One of the highest. Ranged and Melee can easily match Magic DPS with a combo. You also clearly haven't seen D Claws in action or a Dark Bow if you think Magic has the highest DPS in the game...rofl. D Claws can hit over 930 damage in one special that takes about a second....Magic just matches that. Not to mention even if it doesn't max out damage, it inflicts high damage consistently none the less. Both the AGS and D Claws special have been acclaimed for their incredibly high accuracy - the same you cite for Magic. It is not more nor less accurate than Magic attacks with an Arcane Stream Necklace - it is the same. Not to mention the EXTREMELY HIGH risk you carry when you even PK to get that kind of accuracy with Magic. Pkers would need to risk tens of millions to hundreds of millions if considering to pk with Magic to get the consistency and damage you claim. Ranged and Melee have the same consistency for much, much less of a risk financially. Dark Bow can two hit people with it's special for about 900 damage a special which also takes about a second in the video I linked to. Again, Magic is balanced with Ranged.

A couple things I would like to say about this, not necessarily all in disagreement.

1) Saying the dark bow is the "end all" ranged weapon is more of a slanted view. While the dark bow can hit high, it has alot of downfalls to it. One downfall is that it is EXTREMELY slow. Firing at only a 2 block speed, if the special does not KO the enemy they can eat almost 3 times before you can hit again with any weapon. Another downfall is that once you get past around 90+ defense the dark bow shots begin to lose accuracy dramatically. A third downfall is that it requires over 50% special, so once it is fired once you have to wait quite some time to fire it again. A fourth downfall is it is a very large weapon so it is easy to see when an opponent is switching to it.

Most times when you search for a video to watch dark bows you see pures firing them. The bow always seams to hit (and hit hard), not because the bow is super accurate, but because the person getting hit has low defense. Also people only tend to video the "good hits", and don't mention the hundreds of hits that never make it.

Melee has a much higher DPS than range, so the only way a ranger can beat a meleer is if he/she has not defense or the ranger hybrids.

2) Magic has special holding effects for a reason. Comparing the DPS of magic and the DPS of melee is a unfair comparison because magic is designed to negate melee DPS by holding them. Melee does have the highest damage potential with weapons like dragon claws, and AGS, but a part of being a mage is to prevent those attacks from ever reaching you. The only reason Melee could overpower magic is if magic was not making an effort to hold their opponent. Magic can hit well enough through black dragonhide to keep meleers away at least a short deal of the time. Mages are supposed to farcast. If you don't farcast, your not using magic as it was intended and you will lose.

Also on the topic of dragonhide. A meleer using dragonhide is no longer a melee class, but a hybrid class. A hybrid class will ALWAYS have an advantage on a single class no matter what is is. If your opponent is a hybrid and you are not, you will likley lose unless you hybrid as well. If your opponent puts on dragonhide, you need put melee armor on and melee them. If they switch back to melee armor, you mage them. You cannot expect a single class to be all powerful and take out hybrids, it just doesn't work like that.

All in all I think the classes are quite balanced now. The only thing I can think of that Jagex should add to magic now is more exclusivity to magics holding spells. What I mean by that is increasing holding spells by +10 seconds, but a limited effect so that if you unequipped your staff your opponent is no longer being held. This way you cant just freeze your opponent and switch to another combat style. You cant BGS spec with a rune crossbow, so why can you hold your opponent for 20 seconds with a dds.

Some classes have higher DPS or accuracy than others, but it is supposed to be that way. Combined with their specials the balance of the three is quite equal. Comparing hybrids? Now that just another story.

Yeah, a mage can. Drink an antifire, leech their special attack, use Miasmic and farcast their crossbow.

And if you can avoid the constant splashing, in addition sucessfully doing everything you just said, then maybe. But we are talking about maxed combat here, not some 99 ranger with magec level 1. Also, if you walk one square too far, they are unfrozen, and one square too close and they can still hit you. Unlike the rangers armor, the mage has next to nothing in the range def bonuses. Even with antifire pot, the d bolts are still gonna hit 30+ regularly, without the special. Good luck leeching special enough to actually get it below the d bow spec usage, since it doesn't even use close to the full bar.

pere_grin.png