Frost Dagon Guides

ghjkl

Frost dragons were released on July 19th, with surface dungeons and some dungeoneering improvements. They are recognized as an extremely good source of both experience and money, if using the right methods. With their bones giving 180 exp each, 2.5x the exp of dragon bones, they will remain a good source of money for a long time. They can be found in the resource dungeon in the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon, right before you reach ice giants and ice warriors.

[hide=Requirements and Recommendations]

85+ dungeoneering to access them

Started Fairy Tale Part II for fairy rings

90+ melees recommended for meleeing

85+ range recommended for ranging

89+ mage recommended for maging

96+ summoning recommended to use a pack yak

89+ herblore recommended for extreme potions

95+ prayer to use turmoil if meleeing

[/hide]

[hide=Meleeing]

Pros:

Fastest method by far

Most profit

Cons:

Need food

Takes much more attention

Requires high levels

Gear:

frostmelee.png

You should summon a pack yak with 27 monkfish in it, for healing purposes. I recommend using a cannon because really speeds up the kills, and since the bones are worth around 20k, adds a lot more profit. If you aren't using a cannon, you can bring a extra extreme set and put in 5 more prayer potions in your yak. If you are using a cannon, you should use this spot:

frostdrag.png

Here you should have 4 dragons next to each other, with the cannon hitting them at least 2 times every round. If not, you can just use any spot with 3 dragons close by and no one else there. You should always pray mage and turmoil/piety, and use monkfish to heal from their melee hits. If you can't bank with a yak anymore due to running out of special points, you can just deposit the bones directly into it. With extremes, turmoil, and a cannon, you can get around 140 bones per 50 minute trip. Without a cannon, you can get around 140 bones in a 65 minute trip.

[/hide]

[hide=Ranging]

Pros:

Still decent money

Lower requirements

Doesn't take that much attention

Cons:

Not as fast as meleeing

Might be boring

Gear:

frostrange.png

You should summon a pack yak with 10 prayer potions and some emergency food if you want. A rune crossbow with a antidragon shield is a decent alternative if you don't have extremes. Always keep mage protection and leech range/eagle eye on. Obviously drink 2 doses of ranging potion every 3 doses of antifire. If you pray mage and stand far away, you shouldn't get damaged at all. This method can give 120-130 kills every 90 minute trip.

[/hide]

[hide=Maging]

Pros:

Good mage exp

Doesn't take too much attention

Cons:

Slowest of all the methods

Does not profit very much

Needs 89+ mage to use fire surge

Gear:

frostmage.png

Maging frost dragons is a relaxing way to gain magic experience, aswell as profit a bit. Again, praying mage with an antifire potion should prevent you from getting damaged, as long as you stand far away. I don't find mystic might/leech mage to be very helpful, but you can use it and bring more prayer potions if you find you aren't hitting very often. 89+ mage is needed to cast fire surge, as the overload potion will give you a +7 boost to 96 mage. If you don't want to use overloads, but have 93+ mage, you can use extreme magics and repot every 5 minutes also. Drink a dose of antifire every time you drink a dose of overload/extreme magic. This setup should next around 70 kills a 60 minute trip.

[/hide]

A quick correction - In your comments about Maging the Frost Dragons, you said -

Maging frost dragons is a relaxing and profitable way to gain magic experience, aswell as profit a bit.

You don't need to tell us we can profit twice in the same sentence. ;)

Other than that, good guide. Wish I had 85 Dungeoneering.

You could also state the equipment used for each. For some reason, someone may not know what Bandos is. Just a friendly suggestion, other than that, good job. :thumbsup:

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

I'm giving this guide a 4/10, and there's 1 biiig reason why. In my opinion, this guide won't be too profitable for long. Many people are getting high dungeoneering, and while the odds of someone having all req's to kill these is low, in the next few weeks, I expect these bones to be just like the nomad quest: shaky, and veeeery unpredictable while still skrewing over the banks.

div>

I'm giving this guide a 4/10, and there's 1 biiig reason why. In my opinion, this guide won't be too profitable for long. Many people are getting high dungeoneering, and while the odds of someone having all req's to kill these is low, in the next few weeks, I expect these bones to be just like the nomad quest: shaky, and veeeery unpredictable while still skrewing over the banks.

The lowest these bones could ever go (considering the dragon bone prices before the update) is probably 15k or something. With a cannon that's still 2.5m in bones per hour, I wouldn't complain. I also dont get the comparison with nomad, he doesnt even drop anything lol.

Nice guide I was wondering what the area looked like and where to set up cannon, I really have to get 85 now

2dvjurb.png

While you are right that these bones have crashed, I predict that they will stabilize at 18k each. This is because unlike crowns, they actually have a use. They give 180 prayer exp, which is 2.5x the exp of dragon bones. Assuming dagannoth bones are 12k each, it is reasonable for frost dragon bones to be 18k each since they give 180 exp vs 125 exp.

Surprising guide to me, as all the methods but for mage are lacking in ambition. I wouldn't really bother using ardy cape since you need to constantly use prayer and need the defense, so sw is almost certainly better. Cannoning should surely be more brought out, particularly for maging or raging as even with melee, the cannon does around half of the total damage(if you don't believe me, look at my runetracker xp logs, i've only been down there this week) so even maging and ranging can be very profitable. Also for armor, even though i use bandos, veracs skirt should be better as again, prayer bonus is very helpful as well as extra defense. You should look more into making lengthier trips- my 100-105 minute trips(5 overloads, 2 yaks) usually result in 318-338 bones banked. Another little bonus that should surely be mentioned is effigies, which they drop more often than any other monster(hourly rate) at around 1/320 kills(on a sample of ~15 effigies).

Edit: Oh, and if you are good at soul split switching, it will be very nice to use here, i only bring 2 tuna potatos and a 4 dose sara brew to my trips, the shark drops and the amount healed by sou split easily cover all the melee damage.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Using void range + Karil's x-bow is a waste of time and takes too long. It's better to just use a helm of Neitz + Karil's top and bottom with a rune x-bow and rune bolts. A little more expensive, but faster on the kills. And killing frost dragons with mage is a tremendous waste of time. You're better off maging abbies or something. As it is, people are still killing frosts? I figured they would have stopped since the price of bones are plummeting and don't seem to be letting up any time soon. Considering how pitiful frost dragons non-dragon bone drops are, and the fact that you need to spend prayer pots, at the very least, killing them, I really don't see people taking the time to go out of their way to kill them if their prices fall below 20K (which looks like it might happen).

I find crossbow to be faster, and since they drop so much loot, the extra kills will offset the cost. As for maging, these are basically the same money/hr as abyssal demons, but bones are guaranteed unlike whips, and you always break even.

I'll try the 5 ovl method later and see how it works, but I really can't imagine staying that long without getting bored lol.

Yes cannon still does profit, if it takes less than 40 cannonballs to kill a frost dragon at bones being 14k, then it is completely worth it.

Sorry I haven't been updating this, busy dungeoneering but I may try out new methods next week.

Yes cannon still does profit, if it takes less than 40 cannonballs to kill a frost dragon at bones being 14k, then it is completely worth it.

Sorry I haven't been updating this, busy dungeoneering but I may try out new methods next week.

I know it would profit, but does it increase your speed enough to increase your profit/hour? Especially if you dont have yak and winter storage scrolls.

superway26.png

I know it would profit, but does it increase your speed enough to increase your profit/hour? Especially if you dont have yak and winter storage scrolls.

Frost dragons are not worth killing if you don't have pack yak- banking for ~4 minutes every 40 kills just isn't the same thing as banking for 7 mintes every 330 kills, and cannoning without yak is even more terrible. As for cannon being useful, the maximum number of kills an hour with melee only is 140, 210 with cannonballs using around 2.7k cannonballs, so at those numbers, cannon is borderline useful if you don't account for the xp, effigies and other drops at 14k per bone(which is much lower than they will go atleast in the next 2 months).

Your melee gear is lacking.

Loose defender get dfs. Making super antifires is a waste of time nowdays unless you don't have a cls or a cr.

Loose neitz helm get cw halo if your going to piety/turmoil.

Verac top bottom over bandos unless you don't mind chugging prayer pots every other dragon.

Loose claws lol its not pking or FOG and as above carrying super antifires is a drag.

Also, no food? Does that really work? I doubt it. Soul split with never keep up with 200+ magic hits every round.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Your melee gear is lacking.

Loose defender get dfs. Making super antifires is a waste of time nowdays unless you don't have a cls or a cr.

Loose neitz helm get cw halo if your going to piety/turmoil.

Verac top bottom over bandos unless you don't mind chugging prayer pots every other dragon.

Loose claws lol its not pking or FOG and as above carrying super antifires is a drag.

Also, no food? Does that really work? I doubt it. Soul split with never keep up with 200+ magic hits every round.

I hope you ever slay these drags and find out how funny your post actually is. Other than that, he is spot on with the equipment other than the ardy cape, but that is just preference. I don't bring any special weapons on my trips, but that's just because i can't be bothered to spec while i'm busy doing a load of other things, but they will get you 4-8 more kills an hour possibly(with a few spec restores).

Other than that, dfs is for newbs, halos are for newbs, veracs is for newbs etc etc, prayer points don't cost 10k each as you make them up to be. And well, he did say he brings a yak full of monks, but i evidently you didn't manage to catch that, but really, no food is completely fine if you are any good at all. Assuming you get 10 less kills an hour(which is very realistic, as you lose claws, 7 str and 19 stab) you make 200k less an hour, enough for 80 doses of prayer, many more than you'll actually use in that hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Frost dragons are not worth killing if you don't have pack yak- banking for ~4 minutes every 40 kills just isn't the same thing as banking for 7 mintes every 330 kills, and cannoning without yak is even more terrible. As for cannon being useful, the maximum number of kills an hour with melee only is 140, 210 with cannonballs using around 2.7k cannonballs, so at those numbers, cannon is borderline useful if you don't account for the xp, effigies and other drops at 14k per bone(which is much lower than they will go atleast in the next 2 months).

I get 120 kills per hour using range + war tortoise and banking. You are completely wrong about saying it's not worth it as I can make 2.7m per hour using this. I spend much less on potions as I take 4 Prayer potions and 1 range + anti fire per trip.

I'll post my setup if you want it for your guide losing.

C1Geq.png

I get 120 kills per hour using range + war tortoise and banking. You are completely wrong about saying it's not worth it as I can make 2.7m per hour using this. I spend much less on potions as I take 4 Prayer potions and 1 range + anti fire per trip.

160 kills an hour is possible if done right, but for efficiency, it is NOT worth it, as in, you make 75% of the money and have to work harder for it while your other skills are already very high. I have no idea why anyone with 85 dungeoneering, maxed melee wouldn't get 99 slayer/summoning, but if people want to cripple themselves on purpose, i'm still not going to recommend it.

160 kills an hour is possible if done right, but for efficiency, it is NOT worth it, as in, you make 75% of the money and have to work harder for it while your other skills are already very high. I have no idea why anyone with 85 dungeoneering, maxed melee wouldn't get 99 slayer/summoning, but if people want to cripple themselves on purpose, i'm still not going to recommend it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by crippling. I'm FAR from maxed melees and I can get 70% of what a person with maxed melees can get in an hour, which would be hard to get any other way in runescape. (Guaranteed profit, not chance profit like bosshunting). This is a great way of making money if you feel you have bad luck with bosshunting and aren't up for the challange. It isn't too intensive either.. I get to watch tv shows, movies and other things while I kill frosties.

C1Geq.png

This is my setup and what I do, if you want to put it into your guide or use it to make your own setup.

frostdragonsguide.png

Soul wars cape could be changed to avas accumulator, but I like the prayer bonus of the cape.

I teleport to the grand exchange, and go outside on the west side and use the fairy ring there (also, use the summoning obelisk on the bridge if my points are low)

frostdragonsguide1.png

This is the fairy ring code for just south of the entrance to the ice dungeon. Go north and go into the dungeon.

I setup my cannon around here, and start slaying. Once my inventory is full of bones I summon a war tortoise and put the bones into it. This allows me to use the war tortoise for 2 trips in a row rather than having to dismiss him and summon a new one at the bank.

frostdragonsguide2.png

Something to note is that if there is a dragon in front of your cannon, and you're trying to kill a dragon behind that dragon, the cannon won't attack it. To fix this I simply run away from the dragon so that it moves by chasing after me.

It takes 20 minutes, give or take 3 minutes, for a trip. This results in 129 bones per hour including banking time.

C1Geq.png