The best skill in the game

elucin8er

Slayer tops every other skill by far, with ease.

Do all the dungeoneering fans... You probably don't care about my opinion on this so called skill, but I am going to say it anyway:

I would rather continuously stab myself in the eyeball with a fork for several hours, than actually train that skill.

Not saying it hasn't got some great rewards, but I don't care. Dungeoneering is like a big pile of dung, and Jagex is comparable to a fly, which doesn't stop circling around it.

Everything is about that now, if you hate that skill, you are not the most efficient person on RS. I [bleep]ING HATE THAT [bleep]ING SKILL, IT SHOULD BE DELETED! :)

And again...

eyeball.jpg

fork1.jpg

Margus.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like slayer, but I have loved fishing for years. I don't know why but I always fished for cash back before I got stats for monster hunting and I enjoyed it because I could watch T.V. or browse the forums as I fished and relax.

Low_C.png

Id have to go with magic. I love the skill so much, and as someone posted a few pages back;

It has to deal with combat and non-combat aspects of the game. Fighting monsters and other people with the normal and ancient magics. Teleports with all spell books and then non combat type skills with lunar.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Elucin8er, I think I met you on task yesterday! :thumbsup:

Slayer is my fav. skill by far! :razz:

You sure did, hi there :thumbsup: Hope to meet you on future tasks hehe.

Lol at eyeball post, I haven't enjoyed dung much myself yet, although I'm yet to do proper floors with my friends.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

if you don't enjoy dung, don't do it. jagex intend it to be one of the major "fun" things in the game that is how the skill must be judged: not as ways to and end, but as an end.

You say you train dungeoneering while having fun.

Is there any reason i cant train combat while having fun? I have fun in soul wars, i can train combat via soul wars. Thats "fun" to me.

I can train combat with stealing creation, thats "fun" to me.

And if i dont like either of those, i can train it how i want, be it through PC, slayer, FOG, etc.

By comparison dungeoneering only has one way to train it, and thats with a minigame that personally, i don't even like.

Its like making it so you can only train magic by playing FOG, SW, or another minigame, and then pulling the fun card out of your ass and hailing it as the best skill since dungeoneering because your forced to train it with a "fun" minigame!!! And while sure, FOG is quite a fun game, everyone would know the skill was so much better when you could train how you wanted to train.

That bullet looks tasty, I'll think I'll bite it. What's wrong with it being a minigame? It's the most glorified and complex piece of content we've seen so far, and being level 67 at the time of typing, I still haven't got bored with it. It's likely that the Occult floors will be released at around the same time as I can open the first one, so the new content doesn't stop. Also having level 67 Slayer at the time of typing, I have got bored with that skill already. It's only interesting some of the time, but when I have to train on a vanilla monster like fire giants in a non-descript cave for hours, I just get bored out of my skull.

EDIT: In short, Dungeoneering is my favourite skill. However, I wish Hunter got a bit more love from Jagex, it's got a lot of untapped potential.

Theres nothing wrong with a minigame. But thats all dungeoneering is... A minigame.

If i don't like that minigame, too bad, its the only way to train the skill.

By comparison, i can train most combat skills however i feel like it. I could AFK train if i was lazy, i could slay, i could PC, i could PK, i could SW. I could even dungeoneer for combat XP (Slow XP, but still).

How is forcing you into one minigame to train a skill, any more preferable than giving you a skill that you can train with minigames, monsters, other skills, afk train, whatever you want. I know i would prefer the skill with a little choice.

You say 'one minigame' as if all minigames are equal. The Dungeons of Daemonheim is a superior 'minigame' to any other combat training method. It's one of the few parts of Runescape that requires the brain of the player to pull off. Choice is good, but only if the choices are good.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

In terms of usefulness for the other skills - Summoning > Herblore > Magic

In terms of being good itself - Dungeoneering (And yes, it is a skill because Jagex says so, and since they decide what is a skill and what's not ...)

if you don't enjoy dung, don't do it. jagex intend it to be one of the major "fun" things in the game that is how the skill must be judged: not as ways to and end, but as an end.

You say you train dungeoneering while having fun.

Is there any reason i cant train combat while having fun? I have fun in soul wars, i can train combat via soul wars. Thats "fun" to me.

I can train combat with stealing creation, thats "fun" to me.

And if i dont like either of those, i can train it how i want, be it through PC, slayer, FOG, etc.

By comparison dungeoneering only has one way to train it, and thats with a minigame that personally, i don't even like.

Its like making it so you can only train magic by playing FOG, SW, or another minigame, and then pulling the fun card out of your ass and hailing it as the best skill since dungeoneering because your forced to train it with a "fun" minigame!!! And while sure, FOG is quite a fun game, everyone would know the skill was so much better when you could train how you wanted to train.

Ah. i think you may have missed the main argument in my post: skills aren't meant to be "trained" they are meant to level while you enjoy every second of playing runescape. Grinding is a sign that gameplay is bad because it shows that you're doing an activity for the sake of exp, NOT because the activity itself is entertaining.

you are NOT supposed to "train" combat or slayer or ranged or whatever you're supposed to enjoy the activities and gain exp and levels in turn. Levels in any game are there to enhance gameplay; as you become more proficient in an activity you can do it faster, or access more complicated activities. playing for levels, ranks, highscores, goals doesn't show good gameplay. Those things can only ever manifest themselves as self-realization being fulfilling, even if you let an avatar empathetically realize itself.

when you use your skills in good gameplay you are fighting because fighting is fun, you just happen to gain exp etc. to let you fight in new ways down the line.

Therefore: if you don't enjoy dungeoneering don't play the "minigame". If you don't enjoy merchanting, don't do it. Dungeoneering isn't a skill meant to be "trained" it's a skill where your previous training in different skills is supposed to come together so you have fun.

"playing the fun card?" You outline how combat shows versatility, therefore being more enjoyable to many people. you examine dungeoneering simply as a "minigame". in your terms: you played the "minigame card". you ignored all the different options you can choose while dungeoneering that minigames don't provide: 3 sizes, 1-5 players, going with friends or making new friends, going with people your combat significantly higher combat or significantly lower combat, ranging, meleeing, maging, "skilling", "gathering" , running keys, hunting for drops, basing items / being a support player, rushing dungeons as fast as possible, killing everything, opening spare doors, trying to find the boss as fast as possible to kill it, complexity 1-6 depending on what puzzels you want, self-imposed rules such as "you can only use what you can pick up", diy, team diy where you exchange goods, sharing or every man for himself, integrating player creativity (most other skills force you to play the content a certain way) etc. etc. etc....

and that's ignoring internal variation in different maps (think of pyramid plunder, clan wars, castle wars, mobilising armies), different monsters, different puzzles and so forth.

now if you don't enjoy any of those, another strength of dungeoneering as a skill is that you can completely ignore it without being penalized for it (like summoning, slayer most grindeable skills. you NEED combat for quests and other activities, you require magic for transportation, you can't go without making thousands of useless chairs you just destroy if all you want to do is design a cool, personal dungeon to show off in your house.

based on their merit as varied, fun activities that a large proportion of the community will enjoy, skill integration, development of runescape as a game, playability, accessability without inane amounts of grinding, gameplay time dungeoneering excels compared to all the other skills.

now if quests were a "skill" that would obviously rank ahead (MMORPG = roleplaying game after all), but like dungeoneering quests aren't a minigame although it's minigame-esque: try giga-game, or "able-to-sell-as-its-own-game game"

Cooking, you can afk.

That's a paradox.

You are saying you like the skill because you because you can actually do is if you aren't training it: watching youtube, forums, ... Now tell me, what is fun? the clicking make x every 2 minutes, or the talking, youtubing, forum watching?

I have to say Magic is the best skill for these various reasons:

• It can be used for so many things, both combat and non-combat
  • It's more fun casting spells than it is smacking with a whip repeatedly, imo
  • There are ways to make money with it (humidify/alching)
  • There's a huge variety of spells
  • It's just *the* most fun way to play in any minigame
  • It's almost essential in travelling Runescape fast, with the three spellbooks you've got teleports going all over
  • The armour you wear using it is SO sexy! Water Infinity ftw <3
  • You couldn't go a day in Runescape without using magic (eg teleports)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Cooking, you can afk.

If the best skill in the game is an afk skill, Runescape would become even more boring than it is now.

I'd rather more skills be trained in ways like Summoning, Runecrafting, and Farming. They actually require you to pay attention to what's going on, or you'll lose out on a lot of experience or money potential.

Of course, MHing and dungeoneering are basically more advanced versions of that. But they involve combat skills, which require attention for max efficiency anyway.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Cooking, you can afk.

If the best skill in the game is an afk skill, Runescape would become even more boring than it is now.

I'd rather more skills be trained in ways like Summoning, Runecrafting, and Farming. They actually require you to pay attention to what's going on, or you'll lose out on a lot of experience or money potential.

Of course, MHing and dungeoneering are basically more advanced versions of that. But they involve combat skills, which require attention for max efficiency anyway.

Farming requires less attention than any other skill. :blink:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

My guess is that if you don't go on a farming run often, things are gonna die.

But I don't know [cabbage] about farming so...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

My guess is that if you don't go on a farming run often, things are gonna die.

But I don't know [cabbage] about farming so...

No. Lol.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

What's the best skill in the game? Don't give me, it's a matter of personal preference, depends on your mood etc etc. At the end of the day, Runescape is a game, and if you play it as such there has to be THE best skill.

I think I just raged slightly.

if53pv.png

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Summoning helps you do almost every other skill faster (construction and herblore are the only two off the top of my head I can think of that it doesn't help)

Dungeoneering includes all the other skills, and even makes skills like Firemaking and construction more useful. It's also a lot of fun and has good rewards

My favorite skill is slayer, but I wouldn't say it's the "best", since it really only involves combat, and doesn't help other non-combat skills

You can use spiders to get red spider eggs, and beasts of burden can carry things when you are gathering resources... If that counts towards helping the skill.

I think Slayer is probably the best skill. Dungeoneering is there as well, but its all the skills... meh

35b9enp.jpg

My favorite three skills are probably (in no order) Slayer, Construction and Dungeoneering.

I think the reason I'm drawn to Slayer besides the money from drops and clues is simply that fact that I'm able to kill things that the average player can't. Besides that, it's not really that much more fun to kill things because someone told you to.

Construction has sort of two sides to it. The actual training of the skill (flatpacks, dungeon doors etc.) isn't particularly fun at all. As a matter of fact, it sucks because it's incredibly repetitive, boring and was specifically meant to drain money. However, designing and building a cool house and dungeon is incredibly fun and I find it very enjoyable, save for the fact that I'm losing tons of money whenever I do it.

Dungeoneering is just good fun all around. Finding a good, competent team and the high percentage loss from deaths are just about my only complaints at this point. Oh yeah, and the extreme rarity of slayer monsters. -.- But besides that, who cares if it plays like a minigame, raiding a dungeon and killing cool bosses is great fun. Another point that I don't think many people think about is that the music in the dungeons is actually very good. The boss themes are some of the best in the entire game imo. If you've never bothered to listen to the in-game music before, take a listen to some of the boss themes. :thumbup:

Eternis.png

Magic :ph34r:

FEEL THE WRATH OF MY f2p TB!!!!1

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Another point that I don't think many people think about is that the music in the dungeons is actually very good. The boss themes are some of the best in the entire game imo. If you've never bothered to listen to the in-game music before, take a listen to some of the boss themes. :thumbup:

Saggittare ftw!!

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png