The best skill in the game

elucin8er

What's the best skill in the game? Don't give me, it's a matter of personal preference, depends on your mood etc etc. At the end of the day, Runescape is a game, and if you play it as such there has to be THE best skill.

Sure, there are plenty of nice achievements such as reaching 99 firemaking, its a cool 99 at the end, it's an achievement to have, but during it - surely it's not enjoyable!

ALSO, i understand people enjoy the afk side of things, such as woodcutting ivys and such while chatting to friends, browsing forums etc - myself included. This is a nice social aspect to the game, and is what makes RS great.

BUT! If we just focus on the GAME side of things, as if you were to be entertained the entire time solo, but also chatting and browsing, what is the defining skill. For me there is only 1 answer, Slayer.

Slayer gives you an array of monsters to kill, using all methods avaliable.

If provides you with cash

Has nice even milestones to reach

Can be afkable or requiring focus

Gives you something to pour that newfound cash into to make the skill go even faster

Provides you with charms to use at a later date to assist in slayer moreso

Isn't a rush skill

Very big achievement by the end

Gives you very nice D&D activities to divide your slaying time ( clue scrolls )

There are many more, but that's it for now. I can't see ( following my premise ) many other skills coming close. The one im watching out for is dungeoneering as I'm quite new to it and not even on the hiscores. Remember, think about this from a gaming point of view, and having said that ---:

Yes, I enjoy clue scrolls

I enjoy killing monsters while chatting

I enjoy most parts of slayer except for doing tasks I don't enjoy but kind of have to.

Post away, I'm VERY interested in hearing your thoughts and am open for criticism regarding other skills not being enjoyable.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^Lol

Without editing the main post, I just thought of something. It seems unfair to say the best skill in the game and include all the other things that go with it. So I GUESS if you said combat then you relate that to Monster hunting, which is more than likely one of the most enjoyable aspects of Runescape for most people. I spose we can include that and discuss ..

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Dungeoneering, no question.

- Because of it's minigame-esque background, it requires more skill than other skills.

- You can either train it yourself or with friends.

- Everything is instanced.

- You stay concentrated. (AFK skills are out of my league, imo)

- Many new monsters and bosses that actually require strategy to kill.

- Fun puzzles.

- DIY plays a big role here.

- Of course, rushing is always possible and has been done a lot.

- Favors end-game players (which brings back to my first point).

- Awesome rewards, both via trading and resource dungeons.

- Overall, dungeoneering has places for everybody in the game.

I just can't give up that awesome skill. ^^

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Sometimes i think my favorite skill is X, but then I realize it's not, I just say it is as an excuse to get a cape. I hate all runescape skills. I only skill because I dc/lag to bad to mh. And I just play rs to pass the time.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Summoning helps you do almost every other skill faster (construction and herblore are the only two off the top of my head I can think of that it doesn't help)

Dungeoneering includes all the other skills, and even makes skills like Firemaking and construction more useful. It's also a lot of fun and has good rewards

My favorite skill is slayer, but I wouldn't say it's the "best", since it really only involves combat, and doesn't help other non-combat skills

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Magic's always been, by far, my favorite skill. Tons of things to do with it, three different spell books, great for combat and skilling. Probably the most advanced skill for the longest time.

I'd say magic, summoning, construction, and dungeoneering (when it's finally "complete") are probably the "best" skills in the game. They seem to be the most maturely-developed skills compared to all the others-- lots of depth, complexity, and creativity in all of them.

Slayer sucks in my opinion >_> lol that skill feels like such a waste of time to me. But then again, so do so many other skills nowadays.

77yLQy8.png

Slayer for me, because it provides variety, it's my main money maker, it gives a ton of combat exp (or whatever part of the combat triangle you use), the red+black 99 cape is just epic because there aren't any 99 capes that are remotely similar in terms of colour, and, well, I could go on but I'll just stop there.

I think the best skill would "probably" be dungeoneering, only because it combines all the skills, but because I don't find it fun whatsoever, I would still say the best skill is Slayer, for me at least.

2vuhgcn.png

Summonayering.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

dungeoneering is by far the best and most advanced skill in a gaming perspective. it is the only skill that requires skill and strategy more than it requires grinding (here personified by gaining abilities due only to increases in level in all other skills).

I like dungeoneering because i enjoy other games where grinding and levels doesn't exist, everyone is on an equal footing, the only experience-advantage you have from playing the game previously manifests itself inside your head. this annoys a lot of runescapians to no end, because they themselves limit their prowess: if you're slow at keying in dung you and your connection are to blame, not your levels.

it is therefore there was such a massive barrage of complaints with strykewyrms requiring a firecape. it is therefore so many players hate team activities and pking.

It's though when the answer to the question "why are you so slow" is that you simply aren't any better at runescape just as you aren't any better at playing the piano.

and therein lies almost all the criticism of dungeoneering as a skill in its current form. objectively, dungeoneering is quite simply extraordinary in its functionality, random nature, variation in functional teamwork and vast array of efficient strategies within certain boundries.

i don't think you can provide a serious (read: academic) argument for any other skill, only the subjective "more players like this skill instead"

dungeoneering is by far the best and most advanced skill in a gaming perspective

Dungeoneering is pretty much a glorified minigame.

Magic, and combat in general, can be used in other minigames like SC, Clan wars, Castle wars, PVP, etc. And while the actual training of the skill is generally more grindy than dungeoneering, i for one think its much more fun for the skill, not the training of the skill.

5 Minigames > 1 Minigame :shades:

O.O

I guess this should be on questionaries, but oh well.

Summoning is hands down the single most usefull skill in the game. We can all picture ourselves before dungeoneering and slayer, but before summoning? No chance.

Construction

I like how I can make my own unique house. Every level offers a wide variety of new furniture and it is very fast to level. Not to mention the benefits it brings.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I guess this should be on questionaries, but oh well.

Summoning is hands down the single most usefull skill in the game. We can all picture ourselves before dungeoneering and slayer, but before summoning? No chance.

How do you mean picture ourselves before summoning? I can remember the days before all of those skills and it would now feel weirdest without Slayer, probably still training at axe hut / Bandits for no apparent reason. I can see myself without familiars.

Interesting take on utilising the skills, as yes constructing houses is quite fun, but I think at a point it does become just another grind to level.

Dungeoneering doing well as I imagined, everyone seems to enjoy it.

Magic was unexpected, but definetly has a good case for it, within mini games, pking, casting, uses etc. Magic is a very nice one to add.

I suppose slayer is somewhat biased as it can feature all things combat related INCLUDING magic, but that's what make the skill so diverse and FUN. This is why I have to still pick it over magic only because it utilises it. Although the uses for magic away from PVE is very interesting indeed, and can definetly understand why people still prefer it. Very good addition guys :thumbsup:

I really cant agree with summoning at all, sure the familiars have their uses, but I can't really see how it can outcompete Slayer magic and Dungeoneering when refering to FUN. Really, what side of summoning itself is fun? I think some people need to re-read this properly.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Construction

I like how I can make my own unique house. Every level offers a wide variety of new furniture and it is very fast to level. Not to mention the benefits it brings.

ya i like construction, but its a real money drainer

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

I really cant agree with summoning at all, sure the familiars have their uses, but I can't really see how it can outcompete Slayer magic and Dungeoneering when refering to FUN. Really, what side of summoning itself is fun? I think some people need to re-read this properly.

When you are refering to the best, fun factor isn't all to it. Summoning has immense uses, it's hard to train, boost every other skill significantly and is overall very well designed.

Dungeoneering would be a minigame that you can get experience with it. It has almost no use out of Daemonheim that couldn't be implemented in other way and it's repetitive. Yeah, the first few levels are great, but then it becomes all the same like all the other skills.

Magic i agree, very usefull and well designed, kinda frail in pvp (which leads to another thread) but oh well.

Slayer is the same thing as dungeoneering. You could implement those monsters in other way and no one would have complained. And if you argue with the "Oh, if it asnt slayer i would still be at the axe hut", no one is forcing you there. Greater demons, black demons, hell hounds and whatnot existed before slayer. People just didn't go there.

dungeoneering is by far the best and most advanced skill in a gaming perspective

Dungeoneering is pretty much a glorified minigame.

Magic, and combat in general, can be used in other minigames like SC, Clan wars, Castle wars, PVP, etc. And while the actual training of the skill is generally more grindy than dungeoneering, i for one think its much more fun for the skill, not the training of the skill.

5 Minigames > 1 Minigame :shades:

good skills are skills where you don't do the activity for the exp, you play for fun

by your definition of minigame:

grinding is content i rate less playable than a minigame in your gameplay terms

no extra functionality means the gameplay impact is minimal in today's runescape where people pay for exp for the sake of exp, not to produce equipment or suplies or perform activities within the game

i do not consider quest requirements because the quests provide their own content, not the requirements

melee skills: lot of minigames, bosshunting, playable content etc.

range: sidekick of melee

mage: sidekick of melee, transportation, some extra skill functionality

slayer: task minigame for combats

prayer: grinding, extra combat functionality

herblore: grinding, extra combat functionality, extra skill access

summoning: grinding, extra combat functionality, quicker skill grinding

construction: grinding, some extra functionality at lower levels

grinding, no extra functionality: agility, runecrafting, thieving, fletching, hunter, mining, fishing, crafting, smithing, cooking, firemaking, woodcutting, farming

this examination leads to some very obvious conclusions:

1. runescape consists of a lot of menial grinding.

2. it serves no purpose training 13 of the skills in the game in terms of gameplay

3. few skills have the gameplay for you to play the "grinding content" if there were no levels / ranks /highscores for them.

4. runescape has become exceedingly combat based. with high combat, range, mage, summoning and herblore you reach endgame because you can perform such a huge proportion of gamplay, without really touching many of the other skills.

conclusions:

a) on paper runescape is a very boring game because a huge amount of time is spent grinding for no apparent reason other than levels / ranks / highscores

b) a huge proportion of the game is endgame, if you train combat first, and skills later

And in this light, dungeoneering is not a minigame ( stealing creations) but a Gigantic part of eerily lacking runscapian endgame. endgame in turn brings more and more menial skills into play (for bosses, quests, being best at minigames, requirements of all sorts and dungeoneering). dungeoneering is the fun, endgame skill where you use your skills to play a mini-version of runescape however you like, lasting from 2 minutes (rush c1ing) to 2 hours (doing everything in a dungeon, leisurely), alone or with friends, with strangers or clans. along with other activities you find inherently fun for their own sake and quests, dungeoneering is one of jagex' main "point of the game" activities they intend you play for fun in your own spare time.

if you don't enjoy dung, don't do it. jagex intend it to be one of the major "fun" things in the game that is how the skill must be judged: not as ways to and end, but as an end.