Minecraft General

demby123

That's Misa's Realistic Texture Pack, unsure if you still need to use MCPatcher for it to work properly, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

You need MCPatcher or optifine for any HD texture pack (32x or above) or the textures wont display properly. I recommend optifine because it's an FPS booster too and gives you the zoom, which is nice to have.
  • Like 1

I just wish instead of making it harder to start, they made the end game harder. Once you have full diamond armor, enchanted or not, nothing really poses a threat to you anymore.

I'd like some middle ground between "no enemies at all, even though you need their drops" peaceful mode and "It's literally raining zombies" on anything higher, personally.

I just wish your base could come under assault. More than difficulty increases, this is what would make the game. I spent a lot of time on a fortress that's only accessible by bridge, has cobblestone walls several blocks thick, multiple indoor farms, and a bunker that can be sealed off by multiple iron doors and piston walls.

None of it has ever come in handy.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I think that might've been some of the thought behind the new zombie mechanics, for assaulting secure areas.

Problem is, zombies can't break wooden doors on 2/3rds of the available difficulty settings. Even if they could, nothing breaks blocks so just dirt would be an acceptable replacement for any sort of door. So even though they could do these things, it doesn't really make any sort of difference and just makes the new mechanics a mild annoyance.

hzvjpwS.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I can't say I am super into this game anymore, if the zombie hordes are finally here, I might have a reason to build that tiered fortress I've been thinking about. Won't need to build a zombie farm.

If you wanted a harder end game and don't mind a mod, the Twilight Forest has some bosses that are a fair bit stronger than anything in vanilla, and the world itself is in general substantially more hostile. I don't think it comes with any uber armour or anything, but still has some stuff that would make it worth exploring to an otherwise vanilla game if I recall correctly (I think it's the mod with the divining rod for mining).

Shameless plug.

http://www.minecraft...e/page__st__440

The Scapecraft mod I and a few others have been working on is now significantly harder than vanilla, collecting stuff like a full godsword or dragon, or even surviving with no back up from friendly npcs is pretty tough.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

As cool as the mod looks, not sure it's quite I am looking for. To me, there is a very clear distinction between hard to survive, and the zombie horde, even if the latter can cause the former. There is an...image in my head, and I am waiting for a game that can make it a reality. If I can make a shameless plug of my own of sorts, I described the game I want here (in just over 2800 words!).

I do think I could polish the idea still, but you get the idea of what I want. I want to build the base, in a combination of risk taking and relative safety, then I want the big theatrical guns blazing zombie attack, and then I want to defend my base as it gets invaded.

I think it's telling that that's probably one of the longest pieces I have ever written on the subject of anything, and that I don't require there to be an actual victory condition. I am trying to replicate that feel of the L4D horde rushing down on you, crossed with base defense. When that horde first comes, you pump bullets into it, and they fall, and all is awesome. But then they overwhelm your bullets, and get all up close, and it's suddenly more like "omg omg there are a dozen zombies manhandling me omg omg".

I'm not sure if a game like this will ever exist. If my head were a little more accommodating, this is what all my dreams would be.

• Like 1

Scapecraft mod now has a proper server, it is survival with bukkit plugins like factions to protect any areas you want from greifers, and pvp is restricted to the duel arena.

:D.

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

• 2 weeks later...

That looks incredible. I feel slightly embarrassed about posting now. :unsure:

Originally, I made a world with outdoor buildings and an underground base containing all farms (since they tend to look a bit... ugly).

[hide]fuq1.png[/hide]

Although it looks very pretty, and I'm proud of it, it had two main problems. Firstly: Mobs... there was no end to them. I got fed up of having to scout around for loose Creepers before they followed me and blew up something important. Secondly: Hills. I never really got to grips with how to build into them/around them and keep it all looking "natural". So I didn't bother any more, and went underground.

At first it was OK. I was partly inspired by Ethos, and spreading light, water and grass underground does give an amazing feeling, almost as if you were literally resurrecting the place. But ultimately, it's a cave, and that left very little room to expand. Furthermore, if you did expand manually, you were always prone to breaking into an adjacent dark cave, which rendered the whole base unsafe to Creepers. Any future projects would have to be outdoors; even the bigger caves weren't big enough to house the bigger projects I had in mind.

Then I had a brainwave while messing around with some ladders. The one difference in movement between yourself and mobs is jumping, and if you jump onto a ladder two spaces off the ground, you can still climb it. And so, I set out making the entrance:

[hide]6ejv.png[/hide]

Literally no mob, except for spiders of course, can climb it, including Child Zombies. I was safe, barring an errant lightning bolt or flint and steel. So I carried on expanding the platform according to what material I needed more of at that moment in time. I've finished the first level, which contains all the basic resources needed to build stuff (wood, stone, charcoal, pumpkins):

[hide]1tf6.png[/hide]

The best thing is, I've not really started. This level only contains one farm for each of the three common tree types, one wheat farm, one pumpkin farm(for the Jack O'Lanterns acting as floor lighting), one sugar cane farm, one Nether Portal room, and an access ladder which goes down to the lava level. The room with the open ceiling in the middle will be an access ladder to the second level. There's no wool farm, no steak farm, no enchanting room, no brewing room... there's nowhere to even sleep at the moment, except for that bed in the middle which really needs a house. I'm going to build some homes and towers around the base just so it fits into the scenery a bit more. There's so much potential.

I just need to work out a way of building a second tier on top of the first and still keep it looking as tough the whole thing wouldn't collapse on itself. I know it's Minecraft and physics don't count but I still want it looking as though it could be real.

I'm just enjoying the fact that you're a ginger in minecraft, in all honesty.

Beyond that I think I've quit. The server I played on is still active and running but I have no interest to go there. They're always looking for new people though and have a bevy of user-friendly bukkit plugins so let me know if anyone wants the IP. But yeah, I have no real interest anymore.

hzvjpwS.gif

You know, on one exceptionally boring evening, I took the Steve skin and spent a good half hour picking out the exact shade of ginger too. Not even an exaggeration!

Sometimes the aimless-ness of Minecraft does bother me. It's starting to bother me now on my new world and it's only a couple of days old. When all things are said and done, Minecraft is largely a sandbox-style game. The Adventure Mode offers no real challenge outside of a very few small obstacles (food meter, weakly-AI'd mobs). Usually if something doesn't have a challenge, it tends to lose my interest quite quickly.

I don't think anyone from tipit has actually visited the server I run, it mostly seem to be people from my youtube channel, and people who have googled runescape minecraft mod.

Interested in why, would have thought a runescape fansite would have been the best place to post!

Had some people say it is too hard to install, have put videos up and it shouldn't take over a minute, are people still struggling?

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Cause I really can't stand the idea of Runescape in minecraft and I find the continual push for it more than a little obnoxious. At the same time I can appreciate the work you've put into it and I wish you the best. It is impressive even if it's not my cup of tea.

hzvjpwS.gif

I run a server these days with a friend, though its mostly dutch, ill post the IP if anyone wants the city in the image i posted is located there :)

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

Cause I really can't stand the idea of Runescape in minecraft and I find the continual push for it more than a little obnoxious. At the same time I can appreciate the work you've put into it and I wish you the best. It is impressive even if it's not my cup of tea.

I am not trying to push it here, not in desperate need of people to download it (hit 15,000 downloads recently actually, compared to maybe 100 people who might read this post :P).

It is a massive amount of work though and generally get positive feedback on it, so I like to share it here as it is relevant.

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I can't tell if that is sarcasm but the sections on the minecraft forum which I post literally are designed for that purpose, advertising and hosting your mod...

On reddit I like karma, people always ask me to post more so I do.

The biggest sources of traffic are youtube videos and people hosting my mod on their websites.

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

• 1 month later...

Guess I'll help.

Been working on a creepy-themed map that's meant to be explorable. Has a small set of stores, a library, a residential area with 6 houses (one burned out), and a tunnel leading to a graveyard. Unfortunately, that gaping hole you see in the church is what has halted progress. For some reason nothing I do on that chunk saves, even in MCEdit.

Residential.

uQZVzNE.png

K8Hr9Zo.png

Tunnel to graveyard. All graves have names and go down 3 blocks to a double-chest containing bones and items related to the individual. The lights in the tunnel turn on at night automatically.

jKbCx2r.png

U7z4fCO.png

Shopping center, library, and church. Don't have pics of the interior atm, but the library is currently home to the biggest easter egg on a map based around easter eggs.

zIQ0IWV.png

azYfKQ2.png

Anyone happen to know how to fix the glitched chunk at the church? It would be very much appreciated.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

The Yogscast are starting up a Galacticraft series by the looks of it, to act in the stead of the old tekkit one. Actually really looking forward to it, and also started watching Duncan do Hexit. Half tempted to get back into the game. If I did, I think I would create a little village over some underground tunnels, modeled after a sort of bomb shelter or something. I am oddly excited for this.

I am liking your village Dizzle.

Master plan failed. Tried four times to regenerate the world from the seed, and every time it generated something completely random. Most of the time the co-ordinates brought me to the middle of the ocean.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png