Minecraft General

demby123

My largest underground fortress has a part that runs over one of these, except the bottom of it is all lava. I discovered it while adding a lower floor beneath a hallway, and had to install a new floor over a small section to make it work. I think at that point it would have to be about 45 blocks deep.

I think if I ever build another tower (I'm sure it will happen someday), I might stick it over one of these and leave it largely hollow, so that I can look down from the top of the world, and see the bottom. I think that would be kind of neat, especially since they made the world taller at some point. Of course, I had a hard enough time building a tower to the old height. Something twice as tall will need some planning.

On that note, on the very same world, sheep seem to be extinct. It's rather irritating, as about 20 minecraft days in and we still have 1 bed. ¬_¬

Almost all my buildings contain wool and stone slab floors so it's pretty annoying for me too. There's a bug involving passive mob spawns: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1523661-mcxbla-official-known-bugs-list-updated-for-182/

A fix for all the issues in the 1.8.2. update is being made now. They said, one week ago today, it would be released "soon".

Same! I found a massive ravine in the middle of this huge abandoned mineshaft. It's mind blowing.

On that note, on the very same world, sheep seem to be extinct. It's rather irritating, as about 20 minecraft days in and we still have 1 bed. ¬_¬

Villages generally have a wool piece for street lamps, and then you can also make 4 strings into one block. That's what I had to do...

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

My interest in Minecraft had pretty much dropped to just faffing about expanding/connecting the structures I built in creative mode, but today I downloaded the Tekkit (Technic?) pack and it's made me enjoy survival mode again. They aren't lying when they say that it will make you feel like you're playing Minecraft for the first time again. I have no idea what anything does but it's still pretty great.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Tekkit mod pack sounds interesting. I've noticed it has Balkon's weapon mod, that was one of my favorite mods. Shame lots of modders feel the need to make several recipes unnessesarily complex. Balkon's was simple, Minecraft style.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Diamondseekers.dyndns.org is now up and running as a survival server if any of you guys want to play.

EDIT: If the ip isn't working message me for the external ip and i'll message it to you, my router is giving me fits at the moment due to my ip being dynamic rather than static.

Low_C.png

• 1 month later...

Long story short, I recently stumbled across the yogscast channels, and in particular their tekkit series' (mostly been watching Lewis & Simon and Duncan, which are both in the same world once your at the 17th video for Duncan). The mod pack looks like a rediculous ammount of fun, though I must admit it took me about 10 minutes to realize I could cheat in survival mode using it, and another 5 for my willpower to disolve in an attempt to avoid doing work.

I've decided to try technic again, but this time I am just going to accept that I am using creative mode, and have no interest in building my way up to the higher tier of play while playing solo (as a team effort, I think it would actually be really fun). I want to design some intricate system using either using the redstones computer (which seems like it would be the easiest to get going with), or possibly computer craft itself, which I think is more versatile in what it can do.

I've also decided I could really go for a texture pack. Watching a series that uses one, and then trying to use technic without one is actually a pretty jarring experience, and also a bit confusing on many of the Industrial Craft parts (to this end I'll be using the same one they use, because I'm used to it by now).

I don't know about what you guys, but watching Duncan's latest video (part 64) kind of makes me feel like getting on a tekkit server to try it out :P .

Also, can somebody tell me what problem is I'm having with Sphax PureBDCraft? Fire moving water have no texture, yet stone and something else (can't remember what it was) have little portal/water/fire textures at one corner.

22031_s.gif

There are unfortunately 3 weaknesses to the forcefeild he used, I think.

The first is that several of the magic exchange items don't interact properly (he actually showed it during the vid where the red tool was destroying blocks through the field). A destruction catalyst would be too the point, being able to remove the generation and all the nukes in one go.

He also didn't clear out every block where the forcefeild would spawn blocks. The blocks don't spawn per tick. If destroyed, they can take up to a second to regereate depending on exactly when they are over powered. By not filling out the entire field, it is vulnerable to explosives which could get their explosive force inside the field before it can seal itself. The risk would be setting off the nukes and taking out the generator at the same time (if you could just detonate them, the force field can contain an infinite number of nukes as long as they all go off at exactly the same time).

Thirdly, the force field can be over overpowered, if only for a very short while (with continuous power, it should be able to restore itself nearly instantly). I was reading about them last night, and it would be something around 7-9 sequential nuclear detonations would deplete the field generator and cause the field to fail until it could build up enough to regenerate the field (which should be instantaneously with 4 generators backing it). During that gap though, explovies would be able to get inside the protected zone.

If I were trying to disable it, without bug exploits (red power stuff isn't supposed to be able to go through it), I would definately set up a second containment field (which would actually solves the issue anyway, as it would contain Duncan's nukes). Rythian probably doesn't have acceess to that though.

For him, the safest bet is probably to exploit a part of the back where Duncan didn't expose field, and use explosives to destroy the generators. The field will fail eventually without the power supply. Given that the field generator can maintain a field of that size for just over 6 days from full charge (if I did the math right), I would also attack it with some explosives. Maybe some nova catalyst. Just as it can contain infinite power if it all hits at once, one ridiculous explosion from the outside should be safe even if it overpowers the field. I'd definitely create a reinforced glass shield though, just in case.

After watching Duncan's videos, I really want my own castle to work on. Problem is, by and large I don't enjoy building, and with a repetative strain injury that will come back with overuse, I'd rather not get into something really large. I also still have my castle island, the original source of the RSI, which I never actually used. Couldn't think of anything to do with it. So I went and got a new version of MC edit, which still can't recognize a lot of stuff in tekkit/this version of minecraft, such as the entire volcano my island is now next to, but it can open the anvil maps, so all good.

I tried to actually recreate the original world the castle was built in (which in turn is a duplicate of my very first world). Unfortunately, at some point between that first world, and whatever version tekkit is using (swapped to tekkit since I have a friend who would like to help, and I'm guessing opening up a technic world to other people will cause problems), the world generator changed or something and the seed did not create a new world. Though, oddly enough, once I managed to match my position to where the island should be, it does have some broad similarities, though it managed to put an entire ocean where the island is supposed to be (which is actually perfect), and I think at least some of the biomes are correct. Probably coincidence though.

After spawning the isnland in, there are two problems. The first is that since I put it in a lake, it's now a floating island. Not sure how I feel about this, and I might be grabbing some land and building a landmass for my island to sit on. Or I might leave it this way because a floating island presents interesting opportunities such as my escape tunnel (which wasn't copied, just the entrance to it) now being a secret underwater entrance you could probably swim to, and I think I can entirely surround my island in a massive collection of force fields without needing to dig out blocks to prevent vulnerabilities (I assume it can form through water).

Another problem is that when I copied that orignal world to the server, I started using creative mode when it came out, and I had all the mobs turned off. The entire interior of the outer wall, and the castle throne room are both safe, being well lit so mobs can't spawn. But most of the island is dark, and it's reasonably big. Rather than bathe the entire island in interdiction torches, I'll probably just use them to defend structures and pathways so that I don't have creepers blowing stuff up (since it's now on a survival world), and I don't die. I do still plan on a lot of tesla coils, and of course my force fields of insanity. My basic concept right now is to set everything up in creative mode, because I enjoy desin more than any other part of the game, and then drop into survival again and I guess laugh at all the puny mobs trying to assail me in my fortress.

I'm also going to have to work out something for quarryies. I guess I could probably spawn some land under my island to build an op's room, and then have them go down into the seabed bellow my floating island.

I'd like to host a server with my minecraft mod on it, but obviously do not want to give out my ip to anyone...

How do people host servers?

You could purchase a server from a site like fluctis (https://fluctishosting.com/) or multiplay (http://betaforge.multiplay.co.uk/).

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

My internet possibly still has enough juice (specifically some measure of stability and an upload speed above nothing) to support a friend, maybe two, playing on a server hosted by my computer (before you could just let people into your world, I just hosted right on the PC I was playing on. Awesome lack of latency). But the same deal, there are only certain people I am willing to hand over an IP address to.

And progress is being made. Having some fights with FORTH of the RPC mod. To be expected I think. Still, I've been looking at comparisons between RPC and Computer Craft, and I like how Red power computers work better (an actual emulated computer), particularly the save state as well since I have a feeling I am going to have a few computers running passowrd programs at various gates.

Right now I am working on computer infrastructure. I am loving red power and covers. Been able to stuff a lot of stuff into my walls and floors and keep the floors your supposed to be able to access to literally no showing wires at all. I have a computer setup and plugged into my primary power storage system, and an automated program to manage powerreserves and bring them online as needed, giving it an automated control of 75% of the current power supply (the other 25% has to be released manually). The main power array is 4x8 HV solar arrays feeding 4 pairs of MFSU's for 80 million EU on hand and enough solar power to recharge them in a couple minutes with a nice sun. The real question will be if I ever manage to drain them without trying to (like hooking up a bunch of mass fabricators and running them all night).

The front gate is technically working, though the computer control still needs work. Really wish I could edit a FORTH program.

Next up I think will be the shield network. I want to find out sooner rather than later if my field core can even raise a shield this big. If I am right, it should only drain just over half a normal field core, which would be about 30% of mine. I also need to know that it can still recharge with a 55,000 energy cost per second and that the massive reserves aren't just to withstand massive attacks. If it can't sustain it to my satisfaction, I'll need to create a new sheild facility and house the cores there, since the tower really can't hold another one. The one in the tower will be re-purposed to solely shielding the castle itself.

When I'm done I plan on duplicating the world, turning all the defense on, and then seeing if I can crack it. Or getting a friend to try while I defend it myself, if my internet doesn't roll over and die trying to handle it. Knowing him he'd proabably blow a hole strait to bedrock in the first 10 seconds. I know some of the more refined techniques for blowing through a shield, and am trying to configure my base to counter as many as possible, or at least make it so that you'll need nano armour to not die instantly using say the one where you just move it with a frame. I want to be able to turn the entire island into an overzealous Tesla coil network as one of my last projects. Ideally, I want enough automated firepower so that someone blowing through the font gate and running to the castle in fully charged quantum armour would be dead before they got there. Thinking NUCLEAR LANDMINES bwahaha. Oh wow, that could maybe work. I'll have to test the design and make sure I can direct the explosion and won't just flatten my island.

EDIT: preliminary tests show that I can set a nuke that will hit people close to it without touching the landscape. More advanced tests will be needed to see how close I could stick these to a structure. I might righ up sheild traps for these mines, to hold the player, and have a reseve option for mass blasting to fend off an arial foe (also need to test to see what sort of vertical range I can achieve with various bomb densities. Also considering the idea of nuclear powered flack cannons (probably nova catalyst flak).

Seems like there's a bug where I can't use my redstone engines with my quarry. Think it started hapening after redstone engines became incompatible with wooden conductive pipes, which seems to have broken refineries and quarries (unless it's intentional).

22031_s.gif

I'd like to host a server with my minecraft mod on it, but obviously do not want to give out my ip to anyone...

You could purchase a server from a site like fluctis (https://fluctishosting.com/) or multiplay (http://betaforge.multiplay.co.uk/).

Hmm, this is something I'm definitely interested in. So by purchasing a server does that mean there's no strain on your pc and you're considerably more safer? I, too, am reluctant to hand out my IP and I can't get on my main comp all the time to host a server so it would be easier if I could log onto one with my laptop.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Hmm, this is something I'm definitely interested in. So by purchasing a server does that mean there's no strain on your pc and you're considerably more safer? I, too, am reluctant to hand out my IP and I can't get on my main comp all the time to host a server so it would be easier if I could log onto one with my laptop.

Yep everything is hosted on a server provided by the company you chose, and it'll have it's own ip address.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

• 2 weeks later...

After being given a great sales pitch for Thaumcraft, and realizing that if I continue with my castle as is I'll still never use it, I think I am going to copy the original (again) and put it in a technic world instead of tekkit (and maybe technic will be MP someday). I'm going to scale back the tech a bit, and spend some time with world edit making the castle less 'oddly shaped box next to tower'. For now, the shields will have to go. I am going to keep eqipment exchange around a bit though, at least in terms of the condensor.

The new idea would be more to install the technological infrastructure in the castle and around the island, and do the work to make it less full of monsters, and some building ahead of time. I'll also be setting up things like the power plant and the quarries, to get me over the starting hump a bit. After that, I would like to go back into normal mode and stop spawning things, and actually work on Thumcraft, and maybe work a bit on some of the tech mods.

They also released a voltz mod, and maybe I'll look into that, though I was looking forward to my multi type power plants.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing a bit of Minecraft again these past days, but I'm hitting the same problems as before. I don't have enough patience to really build something big and awesome, and survival mode doesn't really interest me that much.

Also, when I'm building something, it's usually with a lot of redstone/piston mechanics and I get very quickly annoyed by the restrictions this has in minecraft.

I can think of several things that would be *really useful for me*

1.When you move a block with doors, redstone, torches, whatever attached to it with a piston, the attachment should move with the block

2.You should be able to connect as many blocks as you want with slime, so you can pull more than one block

3. A way to avoid connecting parallel lines of redstone

4. being able to lay redstone veritcally

5. being able to compress logic gates somehow

6. Having blocks to be able to wire inside walls or directly under the floor without anything being visible.

I'm currently looking for mods that might at least make some of these possible...

Jonanananas, you should really try the RedPower mod, or a mod pack that includes it such as tekkit/technic or feed the beast (FTB), both of which have their own launchers so that you don't have to babysit the mods and keep them up to date (which is a royal pain when dealing with 57 mods in the case of FTB).

I'll just pair it up against your needs to see if it catches your eye:

1 & 2 - This would be frames. RedPower has what is called a support frame, which is moved by a motor block. The frame will drag any blocks touching it with it, and while it still has the one block per surface restriction, you can create an entire structure that will move as one. A basic usage would be a massive door of whatever dimensions you like. A really complex implementation using the potential of the entire mod would be a self propelled, flying, drilling platform which can drill down into the world and collect the blocks it breaks (I've seen one in action. It doesn't fly very fast, but it can drill down a 3x4 hole to the bottom in only a couple minutes, storing it all in chests on board). I'm not sure of the exact extent to what blocks the frame can actually move, but it should be able to deal with just about anything from the redpower and vanilla item selection.

And frames have a piece that can be added to keep that surface from grabbing things, otherwise it would be very awkward.

3 & 4 - This is certainly addressed, and to absolute perfection, with these 3 item types:

Red Alloy Wires. Like red stone wires, but on steroids. Transmit distance is I think 200 something meters long, so you wont need an army of repeaters. It can also climb walls, being placeable on any of the 6 faces of a standard block, crawling up walls and along the ceiling.

Insulated red alloy wires - much the same thing, having all the same advantages as the red alloy wire, except it comes in 16 colors, and they will only connect to their own colour, standard red alloy wire, and your vanilla redstone wire. They also connect to...

Bundled cable - this comes in I think 9 varieties. Normal and coloured, which like the insulated is used to run multiple lines of the stuff in adjacent fashion without it joining together. Any bundled cable carries signals from all colours of insulated red alloy wire along one wire, so that you can essentially run this wire, and then branch out from it as needed.

5 - The mod includes your logic gates, and RS Latch, a toggle latch, a timer (cutomizeable timing, pulse output), an inverted, and probably a couple things I am forgetting, and they all fit on a single tile. Very awesome.

6 - Redpower includes what are called pannels and covers, which are normal blocks cut in half twice, to quarters (these are covers), and if cut again down to eights you get pannels. Covers and pannels are used with frames to keep them from grabbing things they shouldn't be grabbing, and panels can be used to run wires inside walls. You can't run a wire on the interior side of a panel, but wires can fit through the parts of the empty space that aren't occupied by one.

Basically, you could run the wire on top of the blocks of the ceiling from the floor bellow, and convert it into a floor space by then building the next floor out of panels over the wires.

As an additional, if you get really keen. Redpower also includes an emulated microprocessor (which is only really important insofar as if the game lags, it is tied to the ticks so the timing will always be spot on). It includes a FORTH boot disc in the mod, but you can create your own OS in assembly on your own disk if your really into computers (or download a different OS from the net. I know someone wrote a BASIC OS for it at the very least). The computer can be connected to those bundled cables for input/output to interact with the world. KevinGregull did an excellent tutorial if you want to get into it and have a couple hours to burn (there is an hour and a half tutorial, which also shows off his drilling platform, and a half hour followup). It teaches you everything you need to know to use the computer in game.

Now...

Today I have decided to give Feed the Beast a try. It has all the main mods I use, but everything is a later version, and I find it works a bit nicer, though I do have to admit, I am going to miss equivalent exchange, or more importantly, the all powerful and glorious energy condenser. So now I'll need to actually get the materials I need in survival, rather than turning all my useless stuff into useful stuff. I'm also kind of sore about losing the destruction catalyst. That said, it was a poorly balanced mod in concert with the others, stealing a lot of thunder.

In Feed the Beast I will be attempting to create a totally concealed underground bunker. Much to my dismay, the wireless remote is missing (its there but not...) which means I had to create an actual system for entry. Taking inspiration from the dilapidated bunker spawned in the Yogs Voltz series, I created a 'weathered' observation post, and there is a system where you have to push the button at a certain time to get a secret door to open. Because building underground is a massive pain, I have decided to make extensive use of build craft to build things for me. Not sure if it's actually faster (probably is), but it's a lot less work for things like hollowing out a room or building a hallway through rock. Would have liked the destruction catalyst for some of this, but buildcraft is doing a terrific job. I build the pieces on the surface I want to build the base from, blueprint them, then send them down and have the builders go at it.

Also, I use the T42 texture pack, which aside from being 85% complete, was designed for tekkit, not FTB, and is therefore missing entire mods. Still, I really like it, so I also got the Soartex pack for FTB, and I've combined them into a sort of combo pack where I could (mostly adding the missing mods, and some items from the less complete sections). It's quite nice, though I can't help but feel the authors would probably hate me just for combining texture packs.

Oh, and I expect any upcoming redstone updates will probably be making some of the red power inovations official, which would be nice, though it's quite stable, except for the frames which are hit or miss when dealing with other mods. As a general rule, don't be doing that.