Minecraft General

demby123

How many of you guys still play here? Diamondseekers used to keep this thread pretty active, but now it's a ghost town.

In case you've been living under a rock keeping away from /r/minecraft, 1.3 release has been given a firm date of August 1st and is bringing in TONS of new things. I'm especially excited for server-side optimization, tripwires, and the enchantment rework.

hzvjpwS.gif

The enchantment rework is probably going to either make Super Hostile maps really, really easy, or really, really hard, depending on if we can get book(shelves) or not - the leather requirement for creating books seems like it'll balance things out a fair amount.

Of course, then there's also the spawner code... additions, that Vechs talked to Dinnerbone about implementing. This includes... spawning mobs with potion effects already active, changing health of mobs (higher or lower) when they spawn, charged creeper spawners, allowing mobs to stack on each other when spawning (blaze tower turrets, but they break if you save and quit, and reload)...

Oh, and change how many mobs spawn each time the spawner activates, and how often it activates. Also, silverfish now apparently do the "call for help" thing for every tick of damage they take, including poison potions.

So yeah... future Super Hostile map players are probably screwed. The entire spawner code change won't do much of anything for those playing in vanilla Minecraft :P

A lot of builders (particularly on the Mindcrack server - specifically Zisteau, who's videos I watch religiously) are also waiting for the new wooden slab colors, wooden stairs, etc.

There's probably a ton of other stuff I completely forgot is going to be included in 1.3, since there have been so many snapshots between 1.2.5 and it, lol.

• Like 1
Link_Olaran.png

A fellow mindcrack viewer, always nice to see. I still remember when Oreo(numbers) posted one of Guude's earliest videos on this thread, and I've been watching ever since.

I've never personally played a Super Hostile map, mostly due to the fact that the hardware I have couldn't handle the things Vechs throws into his maps, but I have always enjoyed watching them played. Maybe if and when I upgrade my hardware to something less... shitty than my 4 year old laptop I'll be able to do more things with the game. Personally, I still enjoy playing vanilla Minecraft. In fact, I've never really liked the idea of modding the game. But that's just me.

What I'd really like is a server to play on. Diamond seekers was fun, for about two days. The fact that it wasn't totally vanilla and legit kind of took the fun out of it for me. Plus all the arguing. So I'll probably be sticking to single player for the time being, until someone invites me to a server or I set up one of my own.

Anyways, it's good to see that there's a little bit more activity here. Hopefully it continues and increases.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I'm pretty much waiting for vastly improved AI, and maybe that has finally arrrived. I know what I needed was in the works at some point. Problem is that the game consumes a lot of time, and I need to be in the right mood for several consecutive days or nothing gets done. Pretty much all I am doing right now is building resident evil esqe fortresses, but I run into the problem where the fun (for me) is really only in the thinking up security features and testing things. I don't actually enjoy hollowing out my facility, and at times, I don't enjoy building the curcuits either because the way you lay redstone is super annoying. I need wires that don't try to auto connect to everthing around them so that I can shrink my circuits, and ideally I want some printed cuircuit boards that I can build and place to shrink things even further. Literally half the time I spend in game is just trying to get everything laid out to accodate multiple circuits in close corners, and the other half is constructing rooms. I get so bored that by the time I get to the good stuff, I half ass it and it doesn't work right.

Someday I will have my base though. Someday.

Most of my friends and I were first introduced to MC through the 360 version, so we're still feeling our way around. The piston update and especially the Adventure update can't come soon enough though because, as things stand right now, it's too basic a game to do anything except build stuff and look for diamonds. I mean, don't get me wrong. I've got quite a few diamonds, I've built some houses I'm really proud of, I've eventually wrapped my head round logic gates and I can definitely see myself "progressing" but... building stuff requires resource gathering and it gets tedious after a while, especially on single player.

It would be nice if they made the 360 version more communal. At least allow multiple people to "own" the same world so one specific person doesn't have to be online for everyone else to play.

Most of my friends and I were first introduced to MC through the 360 version, so we're still feeling our way around. The piston update and especially the Adventure update can't come soon enough though because, as things stand right now, it's too basic a game to do anything except build stuff and look for diamonds. I mean, don't get me wrong. I've got quite a few diamonds, I've built some houses I'm really proud of, I've eventually wrapped my head round logic gates and I can definitely see myself "progressing" but... building stuff requires resource gathering and it gets tedious after a while, especially on single player.

It would be nice if they made the 360 version more communal. At least allow multiple people to "own" the same world so one specific person doesn't have to be online for everyone else to play.

I didn't realize that the "host" had to be online for a 360 world to be playable. That's kind of a pain in the ass. I've never played the Xbox version, but I saw a couple of videos of it when it first came out, and it seemed like a strange mix of different PC versions. The old style of health being used threw me the most, it feels like forever since hunger was added to the game. I liked the idea behind how crafting was implemented, although I've never tried it so I don't know how it would feel.

My main problem with the Xbox version is the limited world size. Or rather, how small it was limited to. 1k x 1k seems far to small for any world, especially a multiplayer one. I would want more like a 5k x 5k world at the least.

Strangely, I find the more tedious parts of Minecraft to be very fun. I think it has to do with my roots in playing Runescape, or maybe because I'm not a very good builder. I really need to do something about that, which probably means messing around in a creative world. Most of my builds are just underground bases, a bunch of rectangles attached to each other, or are purely functional. Aesthetics are... lacking in my worlds to say the least. I also have a bunch of half finished builds that I gave up on for some reason or another.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Although not confirmed, it's highly anticipated that they will increase the X360 world size limit, probably in line with future update releases. That said, there's been no such talk for the 1.7.3 patch, and that's due this Friday at the latest. Their plan for bringing the X360 edition up-to-date is to release 1.8.2 of the Beta and then jump straight to 1.2 of the released version, so maybe they will sometime around releasing these patches. The world size issue isn't that big of a deal per se. After all, only eight people can share it at maximum at any one time. Biomes are a bigger problem. It's not that rare for whole maps to be spawned without any snow areas, denying you access to the darker wood, or without deserts, denying access to cactus and hence green dies. When rivers, lakes and oceans get added, it's gonna get a whole lot more packed. The scarcity of flat land is also an issue. You go from plains to massive mountain summit in about thirty tiles.

RuneScape definitely spoiled a lot of my early builds. I built sugar, trees and wheat farms underground to yield as much efficiency as possible, until friends started wondering WTF a tree was growing underground for, and why the ponds in my sugar farm all tessellated perfectly. I wouldn't expand tunnels and caves without working out which methods had the best probability of finding something. Took me a while to just loosen up and live a little.

I still play every now and then. I liked the diamond seekers server, it was nice to get on and play with some other TIFers and stuff.

Also I started watching mindcrack a little. I started with Kurtjmac on ultra hardcore, and then started watching some others, like some of pakratt's prank videos, and some of pause.

Actually I was accused of griefing once for destroying "nenga"'s house. It was hilarious.

Also before it went down for good, since my house was near the church, I tore it down and converted it into a satanist church complete with redstone pentagram and the windows were glass in the shape of an upsidedown cross.

The part about the church made me lol so hard for some reason >.>

I'm not really playing currently, but I'm still watching Mindcrack videos whenever I get the opportunity (Zisteau's ones, anyway).

Runescape no doubt corrupted my view of video gaming in general to some degree - I'm far more efficiency oriented whenever I'm playing anything at all. That's crossed over into Minecraft extensively, although I still like building really large farms and such even if there's zero reason to do so to begin with. One such example was during my playthrough of Super Hostile: Lethamyr - I wanted slimeballs for a couple pistons so I could make...

2x piston doors (12 sticky pistons)

1x melon farm (16 sticky pistons)

1x pumpkin farm (16 sticky pistons)

That farm probably took me 5+ hours to make. By the time I was done, I had an ungodly amount of slimeballs. I could've easily stopped before I even had the entire thing dug out, but I can't just leave a project unfinished, because I know it'll never get done otherwise. By the time I finished that map, I had about a double chest full of slimeballs because I kept going back for little bits of xp here and there.

Oh, and all of my mining activities are in standard branch mine form (2 blocks between each branch, although 3 blocks would be slightly more efficient).

Although, as OCD and extensive as some of my farming and mining activities are, I can't even begin to compare to the... insanity involved in what Zisteau builds. It's just mind boggling how far he goes to build even a "temporary" house.

Can't think of anything else to say... other than I should watch more of Kurtjmac's videos. Only really seen him in one season of Ultra Hardcore (the team based one), and that's... pretty much it, I think. Far Lands or Bust interests me, but the sheer number of episodes is a bit discouraging, lol.

Oh, and Pause is hilarious. Moreso because he's Canadian like I am >.>

Link_Olaran.png

No it went down awhile ago. Not exactly sure why it went down though, it was never really explained, or I missed it.

The problem is we need to run a more tight whitelist on it, we got griefed a lot. Anyone who applied for whitelisting just got let in.

So What's everybody's minecraft skin now anyway? I know back on diamondseekers a lot of people just used the default skin, and I think I was wearing Faris from FFV, I did for awhile.

Though I changed it to Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Im running a minecraft server with a friend, we're a public server thats been running for about 6 months now, we still have the same map

also, if anyone is interested, i have an archive of screens of the Diamondseekers server :)

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

So i've been in a minecraft mood lately and been playing some, started a new world, discovered the biggest cave system i've ever seen right under where I built my house. I've been exploring it for 3 days now and there's still tons of branches I haven't been down. It includes 4 ravines, an abandoned mineshaft, and stretches to the ocean at one point, while going down to bedrock naturally. I spawned in the middle of a forest and have no idea where the ocean is relative to my house, pretty far away at least. I need to start bringing signs and marking my way back, I have gotten lost in there so many times.

Currently i'm lost in there, somewhere near layer 23, out of food, and my pick is nearly broken, so I cant just dig out, which would be a problem anyway because of the food shortage. Though I should make it out fine because the way back from where I am should be well lit and comes out directly in my house. Also killed tons of slimes while I was down there, time to make some sticky pistons so a zombie cant break down my door.

Im running a minecraft server with a friend, we're a public server thats been running for about 6 months now, we still have the same map

also, if anyone is interested, i have an archive of screens of the Diamondseekers server :)

Screenshots would be fun to have, for the sake of nostalgia lol.

I'm currently running 2 minecraft servers, one for my friends, with a map we started in the beginning of the beta days (You can clearly see where the old generator ends and the new one starts). The other one is a survival that I started recently, was thinking of posting it on the internet after putting some mods on it to prevent people stealing from other people's stuff and such.

So I found out something new the other day. When you enter the nether, if you look at the biome name under F3, it just says hell. I mean I always called it hell anyway but I didn't know it was officially hell.

Screenshots would be fun to have, for the sake of nostalgia lol.

I'm currently running 2 minecraft servers, one for my friends, with a map we started in the beginning of the beta days (You can clearly see where the old generator ends and the new one starts). The other one is a survival that I started recently, was thinking of posting it on the internet after putting some mods on it to prevent people stealing from other people's stuff and such.

When the server just began back in 1.8:

154c6xf.png

Suddenly, 12 story skyscraper!

2rm89ad.png

Giant snake/dragonhead in a mountain, i believe Ouchy_s build it

awx2qg.png

Church finished, skyscraper covered in vines

71l35e.png

Overview of the town:

2q187sp.png

Station finished:

2hz4d9l.png

Everything griefed to [bleep]:

14lrgxy.png

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

Who built the walls? Not a bad set, and they are fairly large.

I think I might put my creative world on hold, and get back to building my castle island. Also, I did make progress on the island since I last posted any pictures of it. The castle still needs a proper interior, I scraped the maze idea, though it does have a throne room. I might consider adding a second floor for part of it and building myself another one of my fortresses, because all of my structures either are fortresses, or contain fortresses. Sort of my thing.

castleage2over.png

caslteage2.png

towerage2.png

Low_C and I worked on the walls. It was Low_C's idea but I helped build it.

My big project on the server was I dug straight through the desert outside town until I hit the ocean, so we'd have a channel to the ocean. Also I mapped out the area around town, and I spent my time gathering a majority of the resources for projects. I went through about 15 diamond picks of pure cobblestone, and cut down about half of the local forest. Also I built a fishing platform and was going to build a dock but never really did it. Oh and I guess I built the new storage house. When spawn protection was enacted on the server a little after it was started, non-op couldn't access the building materials, so we had to move it.

As cool as it would be to work in a server, I don't think I could put up with the gathering of materials, not for my largest scale projects (like that island). I also consume a lot of redstone for some of my stuff, and a mine doesn't pull enough of it out. For my smaller scale projects it can be a blast, but not when I am in the many thousands of specific materials.

Right now I am building my mansion, which will fill up a nice portion of the village, and then I can slap some more huts up, and figure out how to make a farm and get that going too. After that I need to make the harbour, which will require some reworking a section of wall to accommodate a gate. Also having an idea for a water canal under the island, and add a secret harbour for the castle which currently lacks a basement. That could be neat if I have the patience to craft it. Also might have to wall up some of the caverns that are under the island, I think one of them will be in the way.