Minecraft General

demby123

Old server was lost back in July, started a new one with cousin in September. Felt like posting some screens. With a few exceptions, it's all done block by block.

The WTC complex, with the unfinished Financial Center.

L2tPK5x.jpg

Aerial View

9jJp5dO.jpg

This cozy winter cabin occupies the top floors of the North Tower.

1Ao13g1.jpg

7Tnwtz9.jpg

The 100+ room hospital. Done block by block in single player, MCedited to its current location.

fOUVpVZ.jpg

Early screens of the mall, used over 70,000 sandstone blocks during initial construction.

qHORNDk.jpg

W43PTQ8.jpg

The Montauk House, a favorite place of ours in real life. Not as good as the real one, but improvements are underway.

F1T1pt5.jpg

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Day 2 in the underground complex:

I didn't get a whole more more hollowed out, though I am really enjoying the filler. Much faster than the builder, so very useful for rooms. Just clear than put in the walls. Think I might stick with the builder for my hallways though.

I have however made some serious progress with the power complex, and now have a functional EU energy supply, from 9 HV solar arrays hidden in a fake tree on the surface (which I think is reasonably convincing if you don't stare at it, and it's quite out of the way). 12 MFSU's in the power storage, and another 4 along the supply line acting as power repeaters (my home is to mitigate some of the power loss through the cables, and if that doesn't work, 48 million EU extra storage). It does take an age to charge the system up, but it should be more than ample to deal with a day night cycle.

For emergency power I have installed a nuclear reactor, with double containment. I still have to install the cables between that and the power storage room.

Was originally going to use geothermal instead of the solar arrays, but the transposers and stuff to get it from the nether and into the pipes and all that jazz just game me a headache.

For MJ power, I have what will probably end up being the nuclear counterpart set up, mostly for visual effect. Oil, water, and fuel storage, running a quadruple refinery, and a line of 13 combustion engines for high demand power generation. For primary, I am thinking a combination of redstone engines and electrical ones. Or I might also look into the new steam engines form rail craft and see if I can make sense of them, since they look like powerful yet reliable machinery.

I do love the snaking pipes though, can't wait for the tanks and pipes to be full of goodies.

I also notice looking at my plans for the first time since I started, I have totally missed the Atrium, and the power is not in the ideal place. I just did that first because having functional power supplies would be useful, and I need to know what infrastucture to build to power the base. Will need some tweaking the design now. I'll probably rejig the hall a bit so that you have to go through the atrium to hit power. Going to need blue power for that (which I have so far forgotten) since I want to build a nice big blast door. Probably use thermopiles for bluepower.

I want to be running as few pipes to the surface as possible, and be able to power the base without any surface resources. I think I'll need to add a couple more rooms. One for thermopiles, and another for an emergency lava supply. That gives me geothermal generators to supplement the reactor, and the combustion engines are capable of running on lava at reduced capacity I believe (would make more sense with the stirling engines). Maybe I'll work out a nether lava supply entirely, in which case I can cut the solar array for a geothermal farm.

This will take some thinking (which is why I make these posts actually, it's really so I can get my thoughts on paper to work through them).

You've done more than I have in two days playing a mod that I've been playing for about a month. Which version of the modpack are you using, and are you playing it survival or creative (or at least with cheat mode on in NEI)?

I'll probably make a post tomorrow about what I've been doing (which is basically spending forever trying to make solar panels) and maybe start on relocating to an actual base instead of a platform with a ton of machines on it.

Also, use magmatic engines in place of combustion engines? I've never used them myself, but I think they will do what you want, better than the combustion engines will. But that's just a guess.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

It's a survival world and I'm playing creative in it. My passions in minecraft are mostly designing underground bunkers, and playing with redstone. When I am done building at least most of the complex, the plan is to start exploring Thaumcraft in creative mode, which I haven't toyed with yet. At the end, it will be set up with underground quarries to help me farm for resources to pursue thaumcraft.

I haven't done any more minecraft yet, but I did a lot of work in my head today. And so begins my posting both here and on my blog (relevant post).

Two things happened today. I watched a spotlight on thermal expansion, and now that I know how it works, I am very interested in using it. It's well done, it works well with IC2, and it has fantastic power generation and storage systems which have rendered my entire combsution power plant to status as an emergency, explody, relic form another age. Everything is smart, scaling to both the power demand (engines), and power supply (machines). The engines jam rather than exploding (which is much easier to solve), and there is a box I can plug into the grid to either serve as a buffer like the MFSU, or as a battery so powerful that it can run a quarry at full power for 5.2 hours on it's own (600,000 MJ), because it's portable.

That's cool, but not particularly clever. What is clever, is an elegant solution to a problem with redpower computers. Each computer will operate on a local network, running through an IO expander to control some local operation. I also want a base wide network running from a central computer that can operate any local system remotely. However, if a computer is left with any of the IO expander outputs in an on state, that can only be changed by interfacing with that expander directly. Now, more than one computer can control these things (I think), which unless I want someone to be able to explode the power facitily from outside the front door, means I have to travel to that computer, defeating the whole point. Instead, since each computer will have its own expander feeding into the same bundled cable to control the same stuff, I realized that before combining the expander outputs I could run them all through XOR logic gates. These are the gates that control any switches in your house where something can be turned on and off from either switch, regardless of the others position. Any change in either input changes the output. It will take up space (which is not an issue here), but it should work almost perfectly.

It does however create a problem with any situation where the starting state of a signal is important, since I can no longer check the expander to see if something is on or off (because the output is now independent of either input individually, and can only be known if I know both). If the expander can connect to bundled cable from two faces (which I don't think it can), I can loop the outputs back to each one so they know the state of the real output. Since I am pretty sure they can't (would actually create a lot of problems if that were possible), then by only using half the available outputs, the other half can be reserved for feedback running back into the expanders to signal the output state, so that programs that need that state can check it. The programs to run on such a physical system should be pretty fun to work out too.

Just finished a HUGE project. THE projects, to be precise. Contains 520 apartments, and 104 additional rooms.

Weren't you building New York?

Being a pizza delievery driver, I get to see a large variety of homes and apartment complexes. The richer houses around here have courtyards in them and some of the apartment complexes have very nice walkways/parks. Makes me want to go back into Minecraft and build cities like I used to...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I really gotta get this.

I've been working on a huge tower recently on a friend's iPod, but I have these epic plans for a bunch of cities and even a model of Bag End to be built if I can ever figure out how to make Minecraft work on my computer. (for those of you unfamiliar with Lord of the Rings, Bag End is the home of one of the characters)

Can a really laggy internet connection prevent you from playing the demo?

Supporter of Treasure Trails and can't stand non-matching armor.

I don't know about the demo, but if you're playing the full game in single player, you only need your internet connection for long enough to log into your account and check for updates. And even then, you can just play in offline mode, which is exactly the same, minus custom skins and stat tracking, as far as I know.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Heh, a few minutes after I made that post, I went into the demo, shut off fancy graphics, and bingo, it worked.

Try to get it soon...

Supporter of Treasure Trails and can't stand non-matching armor.

Wow, MultiMC is a wonderful tool. Makes installing mods so easy...well, it was easy before, it just was a pain if you found an incompatibility. Plenty O'Biomes is just absolutely beautiful, probably the best mod ever made.

After I get some mods I think I'm set to return to Minecraft. 8-)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I usually just use a mod pack. I used to use the Technic one but I switched over to the Plus Plus Launcher because it has Plus Sigma which is like the Yogbox but it's actually supported.

If it wasn't for stuff that does it all for me I would probably never use a mod and a logical extension of that would be me never playing Minecraft again.

Plus Sigma is rad though everyone should play it. Though it has some weird bugs.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Thought I would link this here to gauge interest.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1688283-need-some-advice-and-help-have-some-large-ambitions-runescape-modserver/#entry20902104

What do people think about the runescape mod and a server based around it?

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Looks like a really neat idea 999. Minecraft with a RuneScapy feel, and it would be nice to have such a mod that is quite comprehensive. Any plans to add things like a magic and runecrafting skill, maybe making your own alters to make runes for spell casting, and a way to research better spells and wands to cast them (thinking a bit of thaumcraft right now).

Looks like a really neat idea 999. Minecraft with a RuneScapy feel, and it would be nice to have such a mod that is quite comprehensive. Any plans to add things like a magic and runecrafting skill, maybe making your own alters to make runes for spell casting, and a way to research better spells and wands to cast them (thinking a bit of thaumcraft right now).

I have been debating it, but have been leaning more towards just using different staffs for spells.

Would be difficult to balance, and very difficult to make a nice gui and enough nice different spells.

If the mod took off really well, and other people where doing a lot of the easier basic stuff like making item textures/mob models(NPCS) could focus on something like that.

As for dragons, might make one but its very hard, that minecraft dragon has about 20 different files related to it.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing hardcore superflat mode and am in the process of building a massive wooden castle that I've already spent over five hours on.

This is going to end in tears when I [bleep] up and get killed by a creeper.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

I'm playing hardcore superflat mode and am in the process of building a massive wooden castle that I've already spent over five hours on.

This is going to end in tears when I [bleep] up and get killed by a creeper.

So if it gets hit by lightning, does the rain put it out like a tree or does it burn to the ground? The latter is funnier, but I suspect the former since my own wooden village never burned to the ground despite being located on an island that get's hit with multiple lightning strikes every other day. The new world for it doesn't get the storms though, which I sort of miss.

Lightning CAN burn a structure down, but only if the rain storm ends almost immediately after the lightning sets your house ablaze.

And I currently have three underground farms (60 squares of wheat, 40 squares of carrots, and 40 squares of potatoes) as well as a 49 tree underground tree farm that uses both glass filled tunnels to the surface for natural light and an absurd amount of torches for artificial light.

I'm treating that area as a fortress within my fortress in case of some improbable lightning strike. My storage house (filled with cobble and dirt from excavating my farms) is next to that, and bother are attached to the outer wall of my home.

Meanwhile I have a central house (7x7) which has a posh chest room and attached bedroom. That's in the center of a yard which is approximately 52x52 (it has some expanded bits because I wanted to include two nearby ponds in my yard) and is bordered by an 8 block high wooden wall (only 5 blocks high when seen from the inside because there's a ditch outside of it).

Spiders can still climb into my yard, but that's because I still need to add two layers of cobble "filler" and one more layer of wood before I add an anti-spider ledge of some sort. Anyways, the occasional random spider isn't enough to kill me.

The only door into my yard is an iron one (button operated) and is bordered by a solid obsidian frame (my house was conveniently built on top of a lava lake- yeah it's a wood house but I'm fairly sure I sealed off the lava with enough dirt) because I'm incredibly paranoid.

It's a lot of fun and I've almost reached the point where I'm immune to random bullshit deaths. (The only close call was a spider jockey, who I broke my sword against. It then managed to followed me into my farm (spider had died) and I barely escaped by building an impromptu wall in my carrot patch. Since then I've always made sure to have my hunger bar constantly maxed.

• Like 1

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

[/hide]

So I decided to try the Superflat challenge (hardcore mode, hard, superflat setting) with the desert preset.

Desert means there is no natural dirt and villagers build their homes out of sandstone instead of wood. Aka the only tools you can get (until you can find a village that has saplings in its smithy) are those you get in smithies or from drops.

My first round was going swimmingly (I had a lifetime supply of carrots and three swords along with steel armor) until I discovered a pyramid, and accidentally fell into its TNT trap.

My second run through resulted in me accidentally punching a villager just as the village golem walked by, resulting in my instant death (I had found saplings, too).

Edit: Third attempt has led to me finding 2 diamonds, a steel pick, obsidian, and some armor in the first town. Looking good!

[/hide]