Minecraft General

demby123

So I caved in and bought the PC version as well. This game is much harder. I don't even get a map at the spawn, so I've got to dig all the way down for redstone, and the creepers don't fall for the "trap them behind two blocks" trick... they just go round them. Plus I've never really PC gamed before so the WASD controls are all very confusing. :(

FML.

So I caved in and bought the PC version as well. This game is much harder. I don't even get a map at the spawn, so I've got to dig all the way down for redstone, and the creepers don't fall for the "trap them behind two blocks" trick... they just go round them. Plus I've never really PC gamed before so the WASD controls are all very confusing. sad.gif

FML.

j0jivd.png

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

Your WTC build didn't impress me that much, but that had more to do with thinking the real thing was a giant eyesore in the first place. Not that I could anything to that scale.

That, however, is ridiculously good.

So I caved in and bought the PC version as well. This game is much harder. I don't even get a map at the spawn, so I've got to dig all the way down for redstone, and the creepers don't fall for the "trap them behind two blocks" trick... they just go round them. Plus I've never really PC gamed before so the WASD controls are all very confusing. sad.gif

FML.

[hide]j0jivd.png

[/hide]

Is that what you were building in the diamondseekers server way back?

Anyway I've been doing a lot of Tekkit recently. Got the end-game items out of thaumcraft and completely finished all that stuff. That makes mining so easy and with the boots of the meteor I feel so slow at regular walking speed or even sprinting. I haven't built anything crazy yet, but i'm more of an explore type minecraft player than a builder.

I've been playing very little minecraft lately, and when I do it's about 5 minutes of the feed the beast mod and then logging off because I'm out of ideas on what to do. I haven't played vanilla since December, so maybe I'll go back to that for a little while. Although more likely I'll just try to plan out a build for my FTB world, since that has a lot more to offer me than vanilla.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

My wrist hurts just looking at that. I realized I never really took any photos of the underground complex I was working on. The railcraft stuff has still not materialized, but I've built most of what was ever going to be built inside the world anchor zone which currently encompasses much of the base except for parts of the wide open room. I'll install another one, or extend the old one, when I go to build the rail yard, but I need to get a lot further with mystcraft first.

Got some pics for the parts I haven't shown, in the hide tags this time.

Main operating room (1). Right side on the floor is the refueling pump for the lava tank, fed by the nether. Counterpart pumping station is bellow (2), powered by a redstone energy cell (for the liquid transposer which is quite a power hog). Connection is maintained by ender chest. Also of note by the fuel pump are two mfe's being fed by 5 geothermal generators embeded in the wall for IC power, as well as 3 energy cells. Two are fed from the power line and act as portable batteries of considerable power, and the third is installed as a buffer so that the base always has power.

On the left side of the floor is a basic sorting system, designed for ore drops after mining trips. Runs ores through puverizers and induction smelters, with relays leading into both to provide a buffer (no relay on the center pulverizer to ensure all 3 get used rather than just the center). It's quite fun to watch, and it works at a pretty good clip, though the entire system running at once uses a hefty amount of power.

Top left, the blue building, is the thaumcraft building, the interior found in (3). The odd floor colors designate positions for future objects. The red one to the right with the cane and wheat farm out front is the library and mystcraft room (4). The mystcraft portals are located under this building (5).

The last two pictures are the thermopile farm (6) and the powerplant for buildcraft (7). I rigged up each set of 4 engines to be independent to avoid using more lava than needed, and because I just like it that way. Kind of rendered the sentiment moot with the geothermal generators since they draw full time, though the magmatic engines consume much faster I think. The thermopile farm is a bit of a pain, mostly because thermopiles don't produce much power, and bluetricity travels quite poorly. Right now it just powers a couple sorting machines though (none of the bluetricity stuff uses much power, and everything has a buffer in addition to the battery boxes, so it all works out just fine).

[hide]

(1)20130314194356.png

(2)20130314194735.png

(3)20130314194938.png

(4)20130314195002.png

(5)20130314195018.png

(6)20130314195039.png

(7)20130314195208.png

[/hide]

I am never ever ever going to match the builds you guys make. You make all of my projects look like puny hovels.

Recent thing I discovered:

We all known that you can hit a creeper and then back up before it can explode. However, you can actually hit it twice if you time it right. Hit the creeper the first time while moving forward, then immediately hit it again (aka spam M1) and jump backwards as you do this. The combination of your fast backing up and the extra knockback of a second hit will prevent it from exploding.

If you're certain three shots can kill it, you can actually get three hits off before it explodes (if you start swinging the moment you're in range).

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to make those aimbots skeletons not hit me when I'm charging them.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Your WTC build didn't impress me that much, but that had more to do with thinking the real thing was a giant eyesore in the first place. Not that I could anything to that scale.

That, however, is ridiculously good.

The wtc, looking back on it, was really not all that nice, it was hge, yes, but not alot of details....

FML.

[hide]j0jivd.png

[/hide]

Is that what you were building in the diamondseekers server way back?

Anyway I've been doing a lot of Tekkit recently. Got the end-game items out of thaumcraft and completely finished all that stuff. That makes mining so easy and with the boots of the meteor I feel so slow at regular walking speed or even sprinting. I haven't built anything crazy yet, but i'm more of an explore type minecraft player than a builder.

This was built in the mFOK! server, its all legit,it took from early march, to late august to complete!

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

What you don't see in my pictures is me standing there staring at the screen for 15 minutes trying to figure out what I am doing. That build has actually been pretty good, though the pipe work for the 13 combustion engines I'm not using was a fine work of insanity.

I've always been crazy though, even before I started working with redstone. As evidence I present this picture taken inside the 3rd structure I ever built, where you can see a panic room (fortress) built out of paranoia and boredom that comes complete with a panic room of it's own, pictured on the right. This was built on the third floor of an explosion hardened (at least on the first two floors, which one is just stone, no obsidian lining as you can see) tower. My hope has always been that one day, the enemies would be so smart that they would actually be able to blast their way into the tower, storm it, and climb the ladder up here for a fight, and I would then die cowering in the panic room while creepers blew their way into the main part while looking for me. The AI has gotten closer to that as well, but alas, this fortress would still never see action in any scenario I can conceive.

Also, this 'panic room' might still be my favorite creation ever, because it is a perfect manifestation of how I started minecraft, and why I play. I was lured to the game by the concept of building a hole in the ground as shelter and lining it with traps to defend myself from zombies. And at the end of that zombie hidy hole, I want this thing to be there, and I want another one to be right behind it, in a massive, tiered, final defense, flipping the bird to the world that wants to kill me with zombies and explode me with creepers. This is the dream, that someday this, or a fortress like it, might be used.

fortknox.png

I don't care much for long builds though. The world that tower is in is largely clean, at least on that continent, but my larger underground complexes, and any work on the castle where I have mods, is all done in creative mode so it usually took a day or two to do, rather than months like that awesome castle up there.

Personally I can only build in survival mode. Creative's limitless resources tend to make me get really silly.

Aka if I have the option to build a house out of solid diamond I just can't stop myself despite it being a stupid idea.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

[/hide]

But an all diamond block house is just too bright. I know, i've been in that boat.

Anyway finished my going with the equivalent exchange mod now too, found a bug that makes it super easy AFTER I had made a massive energy collector to charge my star super fast, like 10k emc in a few seconds. Apparently if you have two alchemy bags with a black hole band inside, and you throw something out, the item gets sucked inside each bag in the inventory and gets duplicated. Granted they'd all need to have black hole bands/void rings or have two of the same color in my case. One day i'll make a huge base with everything inside it and make pictures. I wish technic was on a later version of MC though. I need beacons for my nearly godlike armor that while I wear it I can literally call lightning down to smite my enemies and I don't even take damage from the strongest mobs.

My texture packs worked yesterday (last time I checked), but I'm not sure what the update is. Vanilla has no texture pack, and FTB is a few versions of the game back I think (and tekkit uses an older version still).

I miss the equivalent exchange a bit, though I am interested to see what EE3 will look like, though what I know about it right now is pretty cool. Still, I really liked the condenser because it made a great garbage disposal. Now I'd probably end up storing a warehouse full of dirt, sand, and cobble stone (not sure if it was visible, but I actually have barrels set up in my sorting facility to deal with that stuff so it doesn't clog the chests), and then piping the rest into lava just to get rid of it. Especially since something like a fully powered quarry generates a staggering 18720 blocks an hour you have to deal with.

I'm just sad in EE3 they're removing the destruction catalyst/catalystic lens. That leaves the only way of large area mining the quarry with no alternative anymore. I havent played around in thaumcraft 3, all my stuff was done in thaumcraft 2 but I doubt they've buffed the arcane bore enough that it can compete with the quarry.

Anyway, so I went to go get some glowstone from the nether today, and my game crashed while I was transitioning there. That causes you to lose all your stuff and spawn back at the original spawn. Luckily I kept my old armor in a separate chest, and keep a second klein star charging at my base. So even though I had to recraft my entire armor set, 324,727,942 EMC, I had the means to do it. Though my pick and weapon were the elemental weapons from thaumcraft, which i'll have to remake with a little more effort. Though really why would I kill anything with anything but a lightning strike.

I also decided to have some fun and fight the ocean with my volcanite amulet.

[spoiler=Pictures]uZFoHFE.jpgzA2fA7b.pngA section i've cleared

Odd how it works out that the quarry has sort of become the gold standard. I guess that's a cue that people think it's reasonable. It does create an issue with anything else that does a similar purpose though, that anything much faster or easier like the destruction catalyst is OP, and anything slower like the arcane bore is pointless. Of course, the issue only applies to the mod packs, which further complicates things because now the mods have to be reasonable on their own and in potentially unpredictable combinations.

As I side note, I hate how everything explosive in EE eats water, rather than acting like TNT. Water screens are really useful for controlling explosions or protecting structures in a blast zone, and none of the new explosives work that way. Also, all the explosives lack the explosion sound.

Of course, it applies to any other mod that does this as well (I can't remember which mod nukes belong to, but they behave the same as the catalysts).

I should give Voltz a spin at some point. It doesn't seem to be the great for building anything, but it's great for reducing the landscape to molten slag as I understand it.

I know I'm far too late to this thread but, oh well...

Started a Survival Mode map, using an old favourite seed from the 360 version: "Aubergine". The seed is renowned in the 360 version for spawning right next to pits and caves which lead directly to iron and diamonds in the bedrock layers, meaning the whole game is more or less in your hands from the get go. The terrain doesn't generate in the same way across each version, though, so it was more a good omen than an expectation.

After the first 12 hours of gameplay I've progressed further and learned the 360 to PC version differences a lot quicker than I thought I would. There was a spider mob spawner right next to the spawn point--you could literally hear the spiders moving around underground. A small amount of digging and I've got myself a silk/XP farm. Then I discovered a ravine with a mineshaft running straight through it, grabbed a few melon seeds and some free redstone so I can make maps. I've died a good four or five times, but I've always been able to get back in time to gather my stuff because everything is so close in proximity.

Focusing on farms at the moment since it's a Survival Mode map and therefore I need to able to produce food quickly. Melons are ridiculously overpowered in this game: Drops five slices, can eat raw without poison, fully renewable, doesn't need to be replanted, can be compacted in the inventory back into a full melon block.

20130317145201.png

I just need some villagers to make the place more lively though.

Is the 360 version that easy that you take on dungeons/night without any armor? Even on easy that's a fast way to die.

Anyway I decided to start over, in a different mod pack, Roots. and I spawned in the middle of a snow biome surrounded by plains, so i've had a rough start.

Basically, yes.

I think because you're using a proper controller, it's a lot easier to manage movements. You can use a bow like you would a rifle in a console FPS meaning you can be accurate and dodge things at the same time. Also, the 360 version doesn't have the improved AI, although the TU9 update coming this month will change that. So you can trap mobs behind walls really, really easily, and of course, in the sunshine they make no attempt to stop themselves burning to death.

I've definitely found the PC version much more challenging and I don't think that's completely to do with my lack of working experience with WASD/mouse controls.

Just completed a sheep farm on a survival server I started playing on.

http://imgur.com/a/JWXQF#0

On a previous server I had a large sheep farm, and they would escape quite often, so this time I made sure if they did escape, they died. >=)

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Basically, yes.

I think because you're using a proper controller, it's a lot easier to manage movements. You can use a bow like you would a rifle in a console FPS meaning you can be accurate and dodge things at the same time. Also, the 360 version doesn't have the improved AI, although the TU9 update coming this month will change that. So you can trap mobs behind walls really, really easily, and of course, in the sunshine they make no attempt to stop themselves burning to death.

I've definitely found the PC version much more challenging and I don't think that's completely to do with my lack of working experience with WASD/mouse controls.

As far as I understand keyboard+mouse controls are a lot more precise and better for combat than a controller once you get used to them. But then I was raised on a keyboard and barely even know how to use a controller so I'm a bit biased.

In other news, I almost lost my hardcore mode map today. I was working on the outer walls of my house when a creeper popped up two blocks away from me and took out 8 1/2 hearts with his explosion. Had I not invested in iron armor I'd have lost the map.... A sign to be more cautious? The good news is that my wall survived the point-blank explosion with minimal damage, and now it's halfway complete (thickness-wise).

Also my underground tree farm actually ate a chunk of the ceiling away and wasted at least 15 torches by growing a tree that was taller than the ceiling. Since when was that even possible?

[/hide]

Just completed a sheep farm on a survival server I started playing on.

http://imgur.com/a/JWXQF#0

On a previous server I had a large sheep farm, and they would escape quite often, so this time I made sure if they did escape, they died. >=)

That is diabolical.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Someone is going to have to explain to me what I am seeing in that picture.

Anyone here every play the game in 3D mode? I find it very difficult to build in on account of of the crosshair not being rendered in 3D with the rest of the game, but I love to walk through a base, or gaze at the terrain every once in a while with it enabled. The only problem is I have homemade 3D glasses, so the color isn't quite right, so looking at certain colors I actually end up seeing a fairly strong double or triple image. Still, the 3D effect is not wasted on this game.

EDIT: Also, probably partly because I use not quite right glasses, certain colors such as orange (lava) end up being a bit washed out).

If anything I thought the PC version was a lot more easier to use than the Xbox version. Especially when you're facing a mob and need to equip a weapon that may be further down the box thingy. It's just finicky trying to do that on a controller. Although I have an order to my equip box thingies so I'm not as panicky.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I am surprised (and greatly pleased) to see that this topic is still going, and there are people other than me that are still playing it :)

I haven't been on here in a long time, mainly because I stopped visiting TIF once I "retired" from Runescape, but since I'm back and I managed to remember to come to this part of the forum, I decided to post.

I, uh... don't exactly have much to say, but yeah. Hey guys :) Hopefully I'll remember to post here more often now...

Oh, as for the controls discussion - I personally have never played the 360 version of Minecraft, so I can't really say for sure how well I'd do with a controller on it, but keyboard works just fine for me (although I remap my keys to be focused around the arrow keys, since I use those for movement).

Link_Olaran.png