Minecraft General

demby123

Since the Horse Update on Monday, Minecraft's been running real slow. Only running around 8-15 FPS when it was much more beforehand. I gather from Google that it's due to the new launcher having problems with integrated graphics. I have Intel HD Graphics 4000, 6GB RAM and an i5 core. Not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination, but it's enough. Far more intense games run fine on this laptop.

So I'm really just hoping for a fix, because I honestly don't believe there's a small number of people suffering this problem, given how many people own laptops rather than desktops.

Since the Horse Update on Monday, Minecraft's been running real slow. Only running around 8-15 FPS when it was much more beforehand. I gather from Google that it's due to the new launcher having problems with integrated graphics. I have Intel HD Graphics 4000, 6GB RAM and an i5 core. Not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination, but it's enough. Far more intense games run fine on this laptop.

So I'm really just hoping for a fix, because I honestly don't believe there's a small number of people suffering this problem, given how many people own laptops rather than desktops.

Minecraft has always been poorly coded. I have problems running minecraft at a stable FPS while I can run way more resource heavy games perfectly fine.

SES103rh.jpg

Oh, very nice!

For those who were interested in my Minecraft slowness issues, it was fixed by turning OpenGL on. Wikipedia says something about GPUs, which I guess makes sense. Don't even know what I'm talking about but... whatever, it works. :)

The 1.6 update made it so your client asks the server to sprint, the server okays it, and tells you you can before you can actually sprint.

So, if you've got bad internet or live nowhere near the server you play on, sprinting just got EVEN MORE FRUSTRATING than it already is.

They're apparently looking into how to fix it. Dinnerbone says (or implies) that it wasn't intended but...C'mon, how could you make that happen and not really realize that'd be a problem >_>'

hzvjpwS.gif

I have to confess, the sprint glitch has pissed even more people off than the low FPS problems. If you're standing at the side of a cliff or retreating from an aimbot skeleton, don't bother.

Also.... ZOMBIES [bleep]ING EVERYWHERE!!!

I personally haven't experienced much in the way of low FPS, but I know one of the servers I play on that's updated to 1.6 has been having a lot of difficulty with lag that it didn't have prior to updating. The server owner's real upset about it and submitted a ticket with Mojang's little support site, but who knows what that will produce.

Personally I like the changes with Zombies. I don't like a spider's chance to spawn with attributes and Skeletons are still too accurate. Admittedly the accuracy of skeletons would not be such an issue if they finally addressed knockback & draw distance. A weak shot should not produce the same amount of knockback as a strong shot, etc. Sure you can strafe with relative ease at 8m or greater, but if you're going in for the kill you need to be close.

One change though that's been a real pain to adapt to has been the "natural healing consumes hunger/saturation." I go through soooooooooooooooo much food now on Hard. I like it in a way, it makes food useful and potions a more appealing choice...but I still catch myself heading into danger with lacking provisions.

hzvjpwS.gif

You definitely can't just punch mobs to death now. Hunger falls too quickly, which is a good thing. It's definitely catered towards players who've got well-established worlds with food farms up and running, so it rewards players in that sense. If only potions were stackable, though... I can imagine on a multiplayer server, the demand for food just went up a whole notch. There'll be people who complain this is meant to be a sandbox-type game, so why the difficulty gradient, but there's still Peaceful difficulty or Creative Mode.

Spelunking on a brand new world with a stone sword, some torches, a stack of logs and a few bits of raw chicken wasn't much fun when I had zombies coming from just about everywhere, though. Cows aren't nearly common enough, or drop leather enough to make leather armour that early in the game, and even if they did you'd be saving it for the enchanting room anyway. Iron, of course, is why I would be spelunking in the first place; the egg has to come before the chicken. I can see how the Zombie change is useful for exploring paths you might have missed, though, and generally makes the game a lot more challenging... they just need to correct the Zombies-not-actually-breaking-doors glitch.

Not actually encountered a spider with attributes yet, so can't comment on that.

The low FPS problem seem to be caused by the new launcher apparently not wanting to choose integrated graphics cards (mine's HD 4000, which I know is a very ordinary GPU) when loading the game, so if you've got a separate graphics card you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know why Advanced OpenGL works, or even what it is, or why that affects servers, but I've gone from 8 FPS to 50 FPS now. Computer science ain't my thing and that really showed when I worked on the Crew, so... I ain't got a clue. :P

It's strange that this is the 'Horse Update' and not one of us has even mentioned it yet.

Eh, personally, the only thing I really care about are mules (or whatever the ones that have chests on them) and even that's limited because leading them through caves and mineshafts is like a trial for Sainthood. I care more about wool carpets than I do horses, which is...kinda bad haha.

I too want stackable potions. It'd be nice if they could only be stacked even in reduced quantities, say 2-8. They have a similar problem like bows do though in that the knockback on them is ridiculous. It'd be completely unbalancing if you could just lob stacks of 64 harming potions at your opponent. Or they could just make regular potions stackable except for splash potions. I dunno. I haven't really considered it.

hzvjpwS.gif

Dinnerbone was also thinking about changing stone tools to be made from smooth stone only, not cobble. They are really beefing up the early game.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

That's nearly crippling. Why would they do that? :wall:

Well it would force you to use charcoal early on rather than hunting for coal. Charcoal was meant to be the "step in between" for new players to established players, if I recall correctly.

I realize I'm probably on my own here in saying I welcome any sensible increase in difficulty. So long as it's not things like "hey guys let's make skeletons rapid-firing, walking machine guns to make the game more difficult hurr" I'm probably going to be okay with it.

hzvjpwS.gif

Maybe it's just me then, but whenever I play hardcore I tend to have enough problems getting established without having to use what little charcoal I have on stone as well as food and torches... And that's assuming I don't have to dig out my own shelter on top of everything else.

I know it's supposed to be difficult, but it's very easy to just not have enough time to do everything in the first day without adding another layer to it.

[hide=lolz]88ui.png[/hide]

I count fifteen there, and another two or three popped up before sunrise. Another house in the Village was also under attack at the same time.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention; this isn't a zombie siege. The village has too few houses and even fewer villagers. This is happening every night as a result of natural spawning.

That's nearly crippling. Why would they do that? :wall:

Well it would force you to use charcoal early on rather than hunting for coal. Charcoal was meant to be the "step in between" for new players to established players, if I recall correctly.

I realize I'm probably on my own here in saying I welcome any sensible increase in difficulty. So long as it's not things like "hey guys let's make skeletons rapid-firing, walking machine guns to make the game more difficult hurr" I'm probably going to be okay with it.

that change would result in more tangible difficulty increase than the smooth stone thing would, tho. it would just make the early game into even more of an uninteresting slurry of busywork

e- also the zombie change is [bleep]ing obnoxious, goddamn

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Really first they buffed creepers, then they buffed skeletons, and then they buffed zombies. They're slowly making the game harder. I just wish instead of making it harder to start, they made the end game harder. Once you have full diamond armor, enchanted or not, nothing really poses a threat to you anymore.

Really first they buffed creepers, then they buffed skeletons, and then they buffed zombies. They're slowly making the game harder. I just wish instead of making it harder to start, they made the end game harder. Once you have full diamond armor, enchanted or not, nothing really poses a threat to you anymore.

Don't forget that spiders can now have random potion effects, like invisibility.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Even though I can't say I am super into this game anymore, if the zombie hordes are finally here, I might have a reason to build that tiered fortress I've been thinking about. Won't need to build a zombie farm.

If you wanted a harder end game and don't mind a mod, the Twilight Forest has some bosses that are a fair bit stronger than anything in vanilla, and the world itself is in general substantially more hostile. I don't think it comes with any uber armour or anything, but still has some stuff that would make it worth exploring to an otherwise vanilla game if I recall correctly (I think it's the mod with the divining rod for mining).

Agreed. And I hate cat AI. Yeah I get why he made it like that (FOR TE LOLZ TANKS NOTCH D:!@#!@#@!) but really, it's annoying.

In fact, anything that has to follow you in that game and not be a liability is a god damn joke. It's actually why I hated the "theme" of 1.6 (horses). We didn't need another stupid follower while foundation for those things was just plain broken.

hzvjpwS.gif

I don't mind cat AI, I think it's just funny. I can just push it off the chest or put stairs or something above the chest, but meh.

I like horses because they allow me to move around much faster early on (at first I thought they were a rare spawn, so I took all the ones I could find and gathered them at the same place, then I wandered a bit further and realized they're actually really common.)