Minecraft General

demby123

Spawned 3 worlds, first two sucked (one was on a big island, two trees, no coal at all, and second was completely snow in every direction, no trees at all). Third one was tolerable >.> plenty of trees nearby, so I started up like I normally would, but then decided to switch back to peaceful once I got string for hookshot/grappling hook since I was more interested in building right now anyway. Ended up wandering away from my spawn (not a clue where I am atm either), but I found a big field with a forest on one side that I could easily use to build on. Got my string, made my tools, and headed into a nearby cave and dug down from the bottom of that.

Down in the lava layer, at least. I've gotten some redstone, lots of iron, and one vein of gold so far. No diamonds in sight, but I'll find some eventually. I'll head back up once I get a few chests full of cobblestone for building purposes, and 14 obsidian for a portal (ocd means I want the full frame, not with the corners cut out >.>). I'll start construction on a new castle then.

Downloaded MCEdit to just copy my old castle over, but I realized that it had a few issues with it that I really wanted to change anyway, and had no room with the current design. So, building from the beginning, no hacked in materials this time either.

I'm gonna need a crapton of iron, though... minecart tracks from here to my spawn (wherever it is), plus 8 bars for every ControllerBloc I make... gonna take a bit, I think. I might be able to make an actual opening/closing drawbridge and portcullis using clock generator redstone circuits, but it'd be hard to pull off... worth experimenting, though. Hell, if someone can make a freaking windmill out of these, I should be able to make an opening/closing drawbridge and portcullis >_>

Oh, and I reinstalled the very first texture pack I ever tried, the Painterly pack. I missed this >.> although I edited the shovels to flip back to their original angle since digging with the head of the shovel pointed down looked weird to me. Also had to (slowly) retexture the woodchipper mod's items to match the style of Painterly tools. Not bothering with retexturing Hermes' Boots, though. That's too much effort >.>

Oh, and I'm always interested in seeing other peoples' work, Skull. Always nice to see how other people build things, plus it usually gives me ideas of things to build too :P

EDIT: Forgot to mention one little issue I had with a combined mod - Tree Drops and Tree Decay. Be wary of installing both on an already made world with lots of trees that you cut the trunks out of but left the leaves floating there. They'll all start dropping stuff at once, and it lags like hell >_> I can get bearable framerates on this comp at tiny view distance, but because of the leaf blocks, sticks, saplings, and apples falling all over the place in one area, I was getting about one frame movement every couple seconds >.< I'll admit, it was funny to see the ground completely coated with stuff, though.

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

My mouse just decided it didn't want to work anymore so it's going to take a little while lol. I'm no amazing builder by any stretch of the imagination, but I've got a few projects in my head right now that I'm probably going to start tomorrow after I harvest some more cobble and maybe get some more planks.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

A person's best critic is themself :P I always think my projects are fairly half assed sometimes, and don't really look that good, but people seem to like them for whatever reason.

And yeah, I've had mouse issues in the past, usually involving the left mouse button refusing to register clicks (or registering two clicks instead of the actual one). Mine were just worn out and dirty, though.

... So much lava down in here >.> I keep turning most of it into obsidian, but I keep finding more, lol. Still getting mostly iron, though. Which is good, I need every scrap I can get. After I get out of here, I'll probably start a strip mine somewhere nearby to get as much cobblestone as possible.

Currently have... 96 coal, 38 iron, 174 redstone dust, and 5 gold ore. Not too shabby, and there's still more cave down here left to explore.

My grappling hook retexture's been bothering me for a while. It really blends in on my inventory screen, can't see the claw at all, really. Gonna try either darkening the color or adding a dark border around it. Darkening the color would probs work better, I think.

*reopens GIMP*

Link_Olaran.png

Gah, tried to install some of risugami's mods and my MC got Black Screen. <_<

I get issues with all of risugami's mods, which really annoys me. Can't wait for an API so mods don't affect the core files and can all coexist.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Spawned 3 worlds, first two sucked (one was on a big island, two trees, no coal at all, and second was completely snow in every direction, no trees at all). Third one was tolerable >.> plenty of trees nearby, so I started up like I normally would, but then decided to switch back to peaceful once I got string for hookshot/grappling hook since I was more interested in building right now anyway. Ended up wandering away from my spawn (not a clue where I am atm either), but I found a big field with a forest on one side that I could easily use to build on. Got my string, made my tools, and headed into a nearby cave and dug down from the bottom of that.

Get a compass, and go back to your spawn point before building anything.

16185_s.gif

Mhmm. I have easily 200 redstone dust already, plus probably a stack and a half of iron. Easily be able to make it back - not like I wandered far before finding this flat area, but it's still nice to know the exact direction from my build site to spawn before I do something stupid and die >.> even with Hermes' Boots stopping me from dying from fall damage (only long drops, though), I could still probably die from something, knowing how my luck tends to run sometimes :P

This cave system just keeps getting bigger and bigger, though... wondering if I should open Minutor and see just how big it is. Heh, I should wait till I'm done exploring it, though.

Link_Olaran.png

Got my mouse to work, I just had to reselect it under the control panel, I thought it was probably not the actual mouse that was broken since it just suddenly stopped working instead of slowly dying. Anyways I went pretty overboard with pictures, sorry about that. I'll put them in hide tags so I don't kill anyone with slower connection, myself included lol. They're broken up by location then building.

[spoiler=Main Base][spoiler=First building + Add On]mainbase.png

On the left side is the original building then the part on the right connected by bridge was the next thing I made.

oresnstuff.png

The only thing really worth showing in the entire building (100% legit, albeit on peaceful most of the time).

[spoiler=Useless Tower + Start of Minecart Tracks]Tower.png

[spoiler=Farming Stuff]treefarmoutside.png

Tree farm with a reed farm on top.

treefarminside.png

wheat.png

Damn mobs keep getting in because I'm to lazy to clear out a tree than the hop in from.

[spoiler=Church]

Easily my favorite looking building. I think it worked out pretty well for being totally BSed.

churchoutside.png

churchfront.png

churchback.png

[spoiler=Library]p><p>My least favorite building.  Nothing worked out at all, I

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/Skull_Emblem/library.png' alt='library.png'>

libraryf1.png

libraryf2.png

[spoiler=The Halfway Dock]

Most recent building

midpointdock.png

midpointdockf1.png

midpointdocktp.png

[spoiler=Auxiliary Base (The Manor and Related Parts)][spoiler=The Manor]manorfar.png

manorout.png

manorsun.png

manorfire.png

manorbalc.png

[spoiler=The Manor Ground Entrance]gfentrance.png

manormines.png

[spoiler=Other stuff at the Auxiliary Base]shttreefarm.png

storeroom.png

[spoiler=The Pool (The Only Part of an Abandoned Base that Doesn't Suck)]

This took so [bleep]ing long to get rid of the whole current. I kind of like it though, I might go back and fix it up in the near future.

poolout.png

poolin.png

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I like it, honestly. I'd never had thought to put in a church, but it's designed very nicely - the roof and altar really make it look like proper church, lol. I like the ceiling lights, as well.

I admit, the library does feel a little small, but it does look good. Guessing the red mossy cobblestone/netherstone/whatever was used for the roof? Interesting application, I wouldn't have thought to do that either :P

The halfway dock interests me. Is it just floating in the middle of the body of water? Guess that'd stop the issue of animals smashing all the boats, lol >.> it looks good, though. Smart idea with the signs on the roof as well, I never know what direction I'm heading in unless I flick the view distance up to far and look up.

Hm, the manor looks interesting. Is this the same building you accidentally burnt down a week ago? >.> Just remembered when I looked at the fireplace, lol. Glad to see how well it turned out. The staircase leading up to it is fancy enough to begin with :P that balcony just makes it even better, tbh. Same with the window facing the sunrise, I enjoyed looking at that shot.

Interesting idea with the pool - and I know just how irritating it is to fill large holes in with water, my moat took hours >.>

Honestly, you did a great job - the only thing I would personally have done different is the placement of the portal - but even then, you also said you play on peaceful a lot, so you don't have to worry about the (tiny) chance of a ghast spawning :P still, the noise it makes might get annoying if you have anything else near it.

I note that there's two blocks of cobblestone down near the edge of the water, to the right of the chicken, in the first pic. Is there something there, or is that just filling in the gap there? Probably a secondary exit from the building or something :P

The sole recommendation I have (and it's a small one, at that) is I'd put in more windows - I personally love natural light now (probably because of X's skylight). Other than that, I like what you've built.

Oh, and remember I have dialup internet, so I know how it feels to have to wait for stuff to load >.< worth the loading wait, though.

Link_Olaran.png

It looks like Doku's RPG pack to me, Tim. Gimme a sec, I'll find the link to it. Should be on the Minecraft forums.

EDIT: Got it: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25676

I'm fairly sure it's a texture pack that's larger than 16x16 though, so you'll need MCPatcher in order to get water and lava to animate. If it's 16x16, there's no issue.

I'll dig up the link to MCPatcher if it's needed. Shouldn't be that tough to find anyway.

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

watermelon_banner_wide.png

Lets support this idea for Minecraft. Square Watermelons ftw :thumbup:

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

Got my mouse to work, I just had to reselect it under the control panel, I thought it was probably not the actual mouse that was broken since it just suddenly stopped working instead of slowly dying. Anyways I went pretty overboard with pictures, sorry about that. I'll put them in hide tags so I don't kill anyone with slower connection, myself included lol. They're broken up by location then building.

<pics>

I am jealous. :oops: Awesome work there man.

And Napalm, I love the look of your fortress. For one reason or another, making a walled "city" never crossed my mind. Planning to expand my current little rock house into a mighty fortress.

I'll post up pics of my mountain fortress tomorrow. Currently stuck in some cave and too tired to finish it through today.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Gah, tried to install some of risugami's mods and my MC got Black Screen. <_<

Do you get a black screen just after the loading screen?

It might be the same problem I have.

Yeah, and I've deleted every file too. <_<

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

I'd support that :P we already have square pumpkins, why not expand and have watermelons as well?

I'd love to have more farming (and therefore healing) options. I enjoy the farming aspect to begin with, I don't really need healing options, though >.>

Link_Olaran.png

I am facing a problem, anytime I use the downloaded version of Minecraft I can use it for a while, but sometimes in randomly crashes. Actually, almost always in about 10 minutes or so. I can use the browser version fine. I have deleted the Jar, reinstalled, downloaded a new exe but they don't work. It has happened to me ever since I got Minecraft, but I need to use the client in order to use mods. Any suggestions?

vizardsig-1.png

I'm gonna quickly look on the Minecraft forum and see if there's any suggestions, but the simplest thing I can think of off hand before that is maybe your version of java is out of date? I'll look and see what else might be causing it on the forums.

EDIT: Found only one thing that could apply to your problem so far. A topic here (http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=89431 - no responses yet, but he did try something and it worked temporarily), says he has random crashes every 5-20 minutes after starting up Minecraft. Someone recommended he switch his view distance to normal, and it worked for a while. It's not working again now, but perhaps his issue now is different. Worth trying it, I suppose - try switching your view distance down to normal if possible? I know I wouldn't be able to, my pc can only handle tiny distance lol.

I have a few more topics open to look through, I'll edit again if I find more. Another possible cause for crashes that I noted in one topic was outdated/crappy graphics card, but I have zero clue how one updates the drivers or anything >.<

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

Onto the fifth page now. Still haven't found much. I know the more recent updates seem to have increased the occurrence of crashes a bit - at least, I've read that somewhere on the forum - but I've never gotten a crash yet that wasn't related to mods being installed badly.

I hope reinstalling java works. Doesn't really seem to be much anything else here that matches your problem (yet, anyway).

Link_Olaran.png

Didn't do much sadly. I guess I could stick with the browser, I remember for my first week of Minecraft I used the client, even with the crashes. Will keep attempting. It also does it without the mods, actually even more for some reason.

vizardsig-1.png

Still taking one last look using Google's advanced search (since the Minecraft forum search function is broken for me) to see if there's anything. I really hope something helps. It really sucks when stuff like this happens.

EDIT: I have zero clue if this will even remotely help at all, but I found another topic that someone said to (assuming Minecraft actually says it crashed and gives a big error report) send said error report to the support email (I think it says the email in the error report screen somewhere, not sure). Maybe, if Notch or whoever reads the emails gets it, it might be fixed in the next update. Who knows. Not much I know, but it's still something, I guess :/

Still looking, though.

EDIT 2: Old topic, but this seems like the exact thing that you're dealing with right now: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47074

States that Minecraft (at least then) had a memory leak issue. It's entirely possible it still does (since I personally have noticed my memory usage slowly climbs over time), and that's probably why it might be crashing. Someone posted recommending setting your view distance down lower than it already is, and it appears to have solved the issue for some people on the thread, so maybe it'll help here too.

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

I made some tools, went to my spawn and planned on building a base on a hill. I almost fell into this.

[hide]

spawnf.png

[/hide]

I hear a bunch of skeletons, 2 of them peeked out and tried shooting at me. I think there is a spawner down there.

vizardsig-1.png

Well, it's not perfectly square and not 16x16, so it isn't a map chunk error >.>

I've seen this exact type of hole inside of caves, so I guess it's one possible map gen feature. They don't usually appear on the surface, though I've seen a couple. I'm fairly sure the guy that did the Mine the Gap series on Rock, Paper, Shotgun fell into this exact same kind of hole (maybe a slightly narrower one) in the series somewhere, lol.

I personally would be covering it over with something. I'm the type of person that likes to walk in all directions and not always face where I'm going, so falling into holes is pretty common for me >.<

Also, just noticed your version number. I'm fairly sure that matches up with the version that people would've have installed in that topic I just listed, so the memory leak issue is a very likely cause for the crashing now, I'd say.

EDIT: Completely random, but... I am such a nerd >.> playing Minecraft, and listening to the Lttp and OoT soundtracks I have downloaded. Hehe.

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

I personally found that 1.2.2 actually uses a bit more memory, but who knows, maybe it'll work better for you. Oh, and if you reverted to an old version to fix the leaves, I can probably relocate a mod I dl'ed to do the same thing, if you wanted it. Should still be in my history.

Oh, and one of the things I found out while I was searching for crash fixes was something for lag - limit framerate. Turned it on to see what happens, and I think it's actually working better o.o I'm quite surprised (and pleased).

Link_Olaran.png