4chan DDoS's some anti-piracy sites.

Howlin0001

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Wide Internet War ftw. Would be interesting to see.

Once hackers start taking out nuclear power stations (Or worse, making them malfunction) I think that you would change your opinion with haste.

Firstly, nuclear power stations only use private networks, disconnected from the internet as a whole. Secondly, it's a war against governments or lobbying groups, not countries. I relish in the idea of a pure war of ideas, where nobody can be physically harmed.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I read it as taking them out so you can't power the computers.

'till I reread it and it said nuclear and malfunction. :ohnoes:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It seems the USA could soon begin to control the internet.

US Lawmakers Want to Quash Pirate Websites

Written by Ernesto on September 20, 2010

United States lawmakers have proposed new legislation today that would allow the Department of Justice to take over domain names of websites that promote copyright infringement. The proposed bill would allow for court orders against domestic as well as foreign sites, which could potentially shutter many torrent sites including The Pirate Bay.

Earlier this year the Obama administration declared war on Internet piracy and counterfeiting. Piracy is theft, clean and simple, Vice President Joe Biden said when he announced the Joint Strategic Plan to combat intellectual property theft.

A week later the U.S. Government took action against nine websites suspected of promoting copyright infringement by seizing their domains. The targets were mostly movie streaming sites, but it later became apparent the The Pirate Bay and MegaUpload had also been considered. They have escaped for now.

Taking the domains of suspected sites has proven to be a highly effective tool to shut down sites that are considered illegal, and today a group of US senators proposed legislation to make this a standard procedure.

If signed into law, the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (pdf via TL) would allow the Department of Justice to file a civil lawsuit against the domain owners. If the courts decide that a site is indeed promoting copyright infringement, the DOJ can order the domain registrar to take the domain offline.

The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act will give the Department of Justice an expedited process for cracking down on these rogue Web sites regardless of whether the Web sites owner is located inside or outside of the United States, Senator Orin Hatch said.

According to Senator Hatch the new legislation is needed because the Internet has become a tool for online thieves to sell counterfeit and pirated goods, making hundreds of millions of dollars off of stolen American intellectual property. When and if the proposed legislation will be signed into law will be decided later.

Aside from the classic pirate websites the proposed bill can be an effective tool to take the whistleblower site Wikileaks offline, the domain at least. After all, Wikileaks posted thousands of files that are owned by the United States.

If the proposal is accepted it will change the Internet and how domain names are controlled for good. Thus far, no central Government has the power to take over domains. This power belongs exclusively to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

As if he saw it coming, ICANN CEO Rod Beckstrom already warned against the legislation that was proposed by US senators today.

If governance were to become the exclusive province of nation states or captured by any other interests, we would lose the foundation of the Internets long-term potential and transformative value, Beckstrom said last week.

The other interests would be those of the movie studios and record labels in this case.

The MPAA has already applauded the introduction of the bill and offered their full cooperation. In the coming weeks, we look forward to working with Chairman Leahy and the Senate and House committees to help strengthen the bill, MPAAs Bob Pisano said.

Source

The part I'm most interested in is

The proposed bill would allow for court orders against domestic as well as foreign sites, which could potentially shutter many torrent sites including The Pirate Bay.

I guess since they can't control the world, the Internet is a good as any place to start.

Whom ever controls the Internet controls the world tbh. :P

howlin1eeveesig.png

Earlier this year the Obama administration declared war on Internet piracy and counterfeiting. Piracy is theft, clean and simple, Vice President Joe Biden said when he announced the Joint Strategic Plan to combat intellectual property theft.

It seems most people against piracy don't even fully understand what it is. That's like saying duplicating a turkey at the grocery store and walking out with it is theft. What did the store lose? They didn't lose a turkey. They didn't necessarily lose a customer either. Just because someone pirates something, that does not always mean they would have paid for it. Lots of people pirate things they would never dream about buying - they just do it solely because it's free.

Now, I'm not arguing that there's nothing wrong with it, but I hate when people make it seem like a crime on par with theft.

Earlier this year the Obama administration declared war on Internet piracy and counterfeiting. “Piracy is theft, clean and simple,” Vice President Joe Biden said when he announced the Joint Strategic Plan to combat intellectual property theft.

It seems most people against piracy don't even fully understand what it is. That's like saying duplicating a turkey at the grocery store and walking out with it is theft. What did the store lose? They didn't lose a turkey. They didn't necessarily lose a customer either. Just because someone pirates something, that does not always mean they would have paid for it. Lots of people pirate things they would never dream about buying - they just do it solely because it's free.

Now, I'm not arguing that there's nothing wrong with it, but I hate when people make it seem like a crime on par with theft.

There's no way to compare it to anything in the real world. Piracy is just piracy.

It's really only compared to theft because the pirate gets something for free out of it when normally he would have paid for it.

The problem is exactly what you said in the last two sentences. The customer would never have dreamed of buying it, but he still gets a copy of the product in question. He isn't shelling out $50 for the game or $15 for the CD, but he gets the same thing as the guy that did. He may even get a better copy because the guy that paid for it has to deal with whatever DRM is on the product to stop people from pirating it...

The people that made the product don't see any of the money for it, and that does make an impact when enough people pirate. If I'm hearing right, it's actually causing a decline in PC games because the developers can't afford to make games that only a few people will pay for.

The part I'm most interested in is

The proposed bill would allow for court orders against domestic as well as foreign sites, which could potentially shutter many torrent sites including The Pirate Bay.

I guess since they can't control the world, the Internet is a good as any place to start.

Whom ever controls the Internet controls the world tbh. :P

There they go, trying to police the world, again. Countries should have no control of other countries, but nooooo, the US just bullies other countries into doing anything.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

There they go, trying to police the world, again. Countries should have no control of other countries, but nooooo, the US just bullies other countries into doing anything.

Because clearly that's what's happening. This is definitely a bill that forces other governments to follow the US.

Because clearly that's what's happening. This is definitely a bill that forces other governments to follow the US.

It includes foreign sites. They'll try shutting them down, will be denied then threaten a trade embargo unless their demands are met.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I still stand by our Constitutional rights, to dissolve the government and replace it with a new one if it becomes too tyrannical.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

It includes foreign sites. They'll try shutting them down, will be denied then threaten a trade embargo unless their demands are met.

If I read the article right then the USA won't need permission from the countries to shut down the sites, they will just shut them down.

Jesus Christ, can't you just admit that you're wrong? :rolleyes:

Cause I'm not wrong.

How about the Netherlands?

Where? Is that a real place?

Hold on, let me get out my magnifying glass. Aha! A European country.

On the bright side, you'd make up about 2% of the population, all by yourself.

One country should not have that much power over the internet.

About the DDoS attacks; I would be more concerned about whom will they (4Chan) target next; after they lose interest in their target, will they attempt to settle personal vendettas (real or imagined)? We may end up with a number of renegade groups each with their own cause essentially unstoppable.

About the DDoS attacks; I would be more concerned about whom will they (4Chan) target next; after they lose interest in their target, will they attempt to settle personal vendettas (real or imagined)? We may end up with a number of renegade groups each with their own cause essentially unstoppable.

to be honest, probably. But it's part of the creedo to not recruit for invasions for personal vendettas. So whatever the target is is going to have to piss off more than one Anon.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Seems like they already had their next target

After all-out assaults on the web presences of the MPAA, RIAA and later the BPI, last night a new company was targeted in a new 4chan DDoS attack. Anti-piracy lawyers ACS:Law, one of the most despised and complained about law firms in Britain, had their website taken offline last night and it remains down “Account Suspended” this morning. TorrentFreak has spoken to one of the key figures in Operation Payback for the lowdown.

Sick and tired of the anti-piracy actions of large corporate entities, this weekend saw the angry hordes of 4chan coordinate DDoS attacks against the websites of both the MPAA and RIAA generating dozens of news stories and worldwide attention.

Although the international music and movie industries were targeted over the weekend, the attacks initially began on Friday against anti-piracy company AiPlex Software, who had earlier bragged about carrying out DDoS attacks against torrent sites. Ironically, their site proved very easy to take down.

Although a third assault against the UK’s BPI was unsuccessful (more on that later), last night another wave of attacks were launched. Anti-piracy lawyers ACS:Law, who send out tens of thousands of letters demanding cash-settlements from often innocent Internet subscribers, became the new target.

ACS:Law owner Andrew Crossley has already been referred three times to lawyers regulation authorities in the UK for his behavior and his company is the most complained-about law firm in their field. Widely despised for the work they do and the manner in which they carry out, it comes as no surprise that they became a target in “Operation Payback”.

The ACS:Law website was easily taken down last night and remains down today displaying “Account Suspended”.

acsdown.jpg

TorrentFreak spoke with one of the administrators of the IRC channel where Operation Payback is being coordinated to find out more about this and earlier attacks.

“[the IRC channel] is where the entire attack is coordinated – including the pastehtml page. When the time came to DDoS mpaa.org, we had the highest number of troops in our IRC channel than ever before (700 people). Despite this, mpaa.org remained online – of course, because of their DDoS protection,” he explained.

TorrentFreak was told that the choice to launch against ACS:Law last night came as the result of a vote among the operation’s admins.

“After announcing that this was our new target,” the admin explained, “the website went down instantly.”

So while the attacks are being attributed to 4chan users, is ‘Anonymous’ really to blame? We were told that they are.

“The vast majority of our users are recruited from 4chan, and all of the targets are posted on 4chan with their corresponding posters,” TorrentFreak was told. “Once an operation of this scale has been established, the central base of operation is never usually 4chan – it’s usually a chatroom, and commands from the chatroom are echoed back to 4chan.”

“The same thing applied with project Chanology and project Titstorm (where they took down the websites of the Australian government). I was there, in both, and have contacts with the organisers.”

Interestingly we were told that not everything has run smoothly in Operation Payback.

Although an assault against the UK’s BPI managed to slow their servers, it failed to take down the site. The lack of manpower to successfully carry out the assault was due to the IRC channel used to coordinate the assault being hacked, depriving the group of their central grounds for communication. This hacking wasn’t an isolated event either. So far, three of the group’s IRC servers have been hacked.

So where will this all end? The administrator told us that he simply doesn’t know.

Source

So it seems the war is indeed under way. Granted I haven't heard much about this in the news though...

Jesus Christ, can't you just admit that you're wrong? :rolleyes:

Cause I'm not wrong.

How about the Netherlands?

Where? Is that a real place?

Hold on, let me get out my magnifying glass. Aha! A European country.

On the bright side, you'd make up about 2% of the population, all by yourself.

The Netherlands are the most dense populated country.

Get your facts straight silly goose.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Wait, hold on. Is the MPAA they're targeting the Motion Pictures Association of America? The one with the ugly little oval thing as a logo?

mpaa.gif

Good damn riddance.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Seems like they already had their next target

After all-out assaults on the web presences of the MPAA, RIAA and later the BPI, last night a new company was targeted in a new 4chan DDoS attack. Anti-piracy lawyers ACS:Law, one of the most despised and complained about law firms in Britain, had their website taken offline last night and it remains down Account Suspended this morning. TorrentFreak has spoken to one of the key figures in Operation Payback for the lowdown.

Sick and tired of the anti-piracy actions of large corporate entities, this weekend saw the angry hordes of 4chan coordinate DDoS attacks against the websites of both the MPAA and RIAA generating dozens of news stories and worldwide attention.

Although the international music and movie industries were targeted over the weekend, the attacks initially began on Friday against anti-piracy company AiPlex Software, who had earlier bragged about carrying out DDoS attacks against torrent sites. Ironically, their site proved very easy to take down.

Although a third assault against the UKs BPI was unsuccessful (more on that later), last night another wave of attacks were launched. Anti-piracy lawyers ACS:Law, who send out tens of thousands of letters demanding cash-settlements from often innocent Internet subscribers, became the new target.

ACS:Law owner Andrew Crossley has already been referred three times to lawyers regulation authorities in the UK for his behavior and his company is the most complained-about law firm in their field. Widely despised for the work they do and the manner in which they carry out, it comes as no surprise that they became a target in Operation Payback.

The ACS:Law website was easily taken down last night and remains down today displaying Account Suspended.

acsdown.jpg

TorrentFreak spoke with one of the administrators of the IRC channel where Operation Payback is being coordinated to find out more about this and earlier attacks.

[the IRC channel] is where the entire attack is coordinated including the pastehtml page. When the time came to DDoS mpaa.org, we had the highest number of troops in our IRC channel than ever before (700 people). Despite this, mpaa.org remained online of course, because of their DDoS protection, he explained.

TorrentFreak was told that the choice to launch against ACS:Law last night came as the result of a vote among the operations admins.

After announcing that this was our new target, the admin explained, the website went down instantly.

So while the attacks are being attributed to 4chan users, is Anonymous really to blame? We were told that they are.

The vast majority of our users are recruited from 4chan, and all of the targets are posted on 4chan with their corresponding posters, TorrentFreak was told. Once an operation of this scale has been established, the central base of operation is never usually 4chan its usually a chatroom, and commands from the chatroom are echoed back to 4chan.

The same thing applied with project Chanology and project Titstorm (where they took down the websites of the Australian government). I was there, in both, and have contacts with the organisers.

Interestingly we were told that not everything has run smoothly in Operation Payback.

Although an assault against the UKs BPI managed to slow their servers, it failed to take down the site. The lack of manpower to successfully carry out the assault was due to the IRC channel used to coordinate the assault being hacked, depriving the group of their central grounds for communication. This hacking wasnt an isolated event either. So far, three of the groups IRC servers have been hacked.

So where will this all end? The administrator told us that he simply doesnt know.

Source

So it seems the war is indeed under way. Granted I haven't heard much about this in the news though...

This excites me greatly. I want to join in the war, but so far I haven't found anything I feel passionate enough to defend being attacked. I love torrent sites, but not enough to LOIC it's attackers [700 other people seem to have that covered anyway]. Maybe when things i care about start getting DDoS'd I'll join in. Like facebook. If that gets attacked, I will rain hell on the interweb.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

This excites me greatly. I want to join in the war, but so far I haven't found anything I feel passionate enough to defend being attacked. I love torrent sites, but not enough to LOIC it's attackers [700 other people seem to have that covered anyway]. Maybe when things i care about start getting DDoS'd I'll join in. Like facebook. If that gets attacked, I will rain hell on the interweb.

Suggest it to the admins of the DDoS campaign (not really, the world go break down without Facebook at this point)

howlin1eeveesig.png