4chan DDoS's some anti-piracy sites.

Howlin0001

DDoS'ing Facebook would be a brilliant move if they want publicity. There's no such thing as bad publicity, and what I see it doing is getting the attention of some of the mindless facebookers who want to be a part of something big.

If the government should be afraid of its people, all 4chan has to do is convince the people to support piracy.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mindless facebookers who want to be a part of something big.

LIKE ME :D

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

One country should not have that much power over the internet.

About the DDoS attacks; I would be more concerned about whom will they (4Chan) target next; after they lose interest in their target, will they attempt to settle personal vendettas (real or imagined)? We may end up with a number of renegade groups each with their own cause essentially unstoppable.

Personal vendettas get met with posts of "Not your personal army."

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Those sons of [bleep]es. MY FACEBOOK I WILL AVENGE YOU

s406wz.jpg

I blame myself for mentioning this theoretical attack in this topic. This is my call to arms. Someone hand me a dangerous kitten.

My Facebook has worked all afternoon. It must have been your internet connection.

nah, there was a good couple hours where it didn't work for anyone. I've seen groups for it. Search "i survived the facebook crash of 23/9/10"

you might be in a different time zone, but from about 1:30pm to around 5:30pm in my time it was down

Now that I think of it, I may not have gotten on until after 5:30. That's a pretty significant chunk of time, but wouldn't it make more sense to attack in the evening, when the concentration of users is highest?

Now that I think of it, I may not have gotten on until after 5:30. That's a pretty significant chunk of time, but wouldn't it make more sense to attack in the evening, when the concentration of users is highest?

www.facebook.com

WORLDwideweb

just cause it was a strange time in our zone doesn't mean there weren't millions of people singing in at that moment. I have about 100/450 friends online at any given time, so I really dont think timing had to do with it.

It wasn't actually 4chan that knocked Facebook over, was it? o.O

I dont think so. Anon doesn't have a motive to attack Facebook so why would they? Mine has been slow since I started college so im used to it anyways.

On topic, im shocked. I havnt seen "The Chans" this organized since the Boxxy debacle. Im actually excited, maybe its worth lurking in once again.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

Facebook was down due to technical reasons and not because of 4chan

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/23/facebook-downtime/

Facebooks had a rough day. In fact, its had its worst day performance-wise in over four years, with 2.5 hours of downtime that resulted in countless complaints from users. Perhaps more important, it also had a bevy API problems, and its Like buttons which are embedded on over 350,000 sites across the web were apparently busted too. When Facebook goes down, its a big deal.

This evening Facebook Director of Software Engineering Robert Johnson has written a post-mortem of the outage, explaining what caused the site to fail.

According to Johnsons post, the problem stemmed from an automated system Facebook had built to check for invalid configuration values in its cache. Unfortunately, that automated check backfired to the point that Facebook had to turn off the site entirely to recover. Heres a portion of the explanation:

Today we made a change to the persistent copy of a configuration value that was interpreted as invalid. This meant that every single client saw the invalid value and attempted to fix it. Because the fix involves making a query to a cluster of databases, that cluster was quickly overwhelmed by hundreds of thousands of queries a second.

To make matters worse, every time a client got an error attempting to query one of the databases it interpreted it as an invalid value, and deleted the corresponding cache key. This meant that even after the original problem had been fixed, the stream of queries continued. As long as the databases failed to service some of the requests, they were causing even more requests to themselves. We had entered a feedback loop that didnt allow the databases to recover.

The way to stop the feedback cycle was quite painful we had to stop all traffic to this database cluster, which meant turning off the site. Once the databases had recovered and the root cause had been fixed, we slowly allowed more people back onto the site.

Facebook has generally had a good track record in terms of keeping its homepage alive, but Ive heard repeated complaints about the integrity of its API. And given Facebooks goal of becoming the social fabric of the web which entails maintaining a presence on countless third party sites its imperative that it keeps its various widgets and authentication buttons working properly.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Facebook was down due to technical reasons and not because of 4chan

http://techcrunch.co...ebook-downtime/

Facebook's had a rough day. In fact, it's had its worst day performance-wise in over four years, with 2.5 hours of downtime that resulted in countless complaints from users. Perhaps more important, it also had a bevy API problems, and its Like buttons which are embedded on over 350,000 sites across the web were apparently busted too. When Facebook goes down, it's a big deal.

This evening Facebook Director of Software Engineering Robert Johnson has written a post-mortem of the outage, explaining what caused the site to fail.

According to Johnson's post, the problem stemmed from an automated system Facebook had built to check for invalid configuration values in its cache. Unfortunately, that automated check backfired to the point that Facebook had to turn off the site entirely to recover. Here's a portion of the explanation:

Today we made a change to the persistent copy of a configuration value that was interpreted as invalid. This meant that every single client saw the invalid value and attempted to fix it. Because the fix involves making a query to a cluster of databases, that cluster was quickly overwhelmed by hundreds of thousands of queries a second.

To make matters worse, every time a client got an error attempting to query one of the databases it interpreted it as an invalid value, and deleted the corresponding cache key. This meant that even after the original problem had been fixed, the stream of queries continued. As long as the databases failed to service some of the requests, they were causing even more requests to themselves. We had entered a feedback loop that didn't allow the databases to recover.

The way to stop the feedback cycle was quite painful we had to stop all traffic to this database cluster, which meant turning off the site. Once the databases had recovered and the root cause had been fixed, we slowly allowed more people back onto the site.

Facebook has generally had a good track record in terms of keeping its homepage alive, but I've heard repeated complaints about the integrity of its API. And given Facebook's goal of becoming the social fabric of the web which entails maintaining a presence on countless third party sites it's imperative that it keeps its various widgets and authentication buttons working properly.

^^ that's why it'd be a big target. Big deal to the interwebz.

sidenote:

What exactly happened to Boxxy? i know shes under witness protection now, but...what did the chans do to that poor girl?

What exactly happened to Boxxy? i know shes under witness protection now, but...what did the chans do to that poor girl?

What?! I didn't even know she was in the WPP. Where do you guys get your interweb news?!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It seems when 4Chan DDoSed ACS:Law and when their site came back up all the ACS:Laws backup files were available for anyone to download.

Information can be found here and then here

And who said 4Chan never did anything good? :P

howlin1eeveesig.png

Heh, what were the civil wars? You referring to the one in the 1860s or something on the internet?

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

The /b/ civil wars are also known as the "Boxxy period". Basicly half of /b/ loved boxxy and the other half absolutely hated. This created two movements inside of /b/: One that focused solely on attacking Boxxy's image, spreading fake accounts throughout the webs. The other faction instead defended boxxy by erasing the efforts of the other chans.

/b/ was a huge mess at the time, and that took a long time to end, but during that period either faction was very well organized, almost resembling an army. All it was needed to start a war wasa single post at times.

Now it's the same, but instead of being against each other they are targeting other websites. Some deserve it tbh.

Yeah, it's scary, they're organized, and they're pissed. They're generally a quiet giant of sorts, don't wake them up and motivate them.

You DON'T want to get in their way.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Looks like they just took down 8000 sites yerterday...

Following on from other DDoS attacks in recent days, yesterday another wave took down the website of AFACT, the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft. This latest assault, carried out in the name of Operation Payback, also had some very serious unintended side-effects. According to AFACT host Negregistry, other sites it hosts were affected too. AFACT said those sites, some belonging to the government, numbered nearly 8,000.

During the last couple of weeks weve reported almost daily on the effects and aftershocks of Operation Payback. This action, largely consisting of coordinated DDoS attacks against those chasing down online piracy or seeking to profit from it, has taken in a number of significant targets.

Although the attacks against the MPAA and RIAA websites generated the most headlines thus far due to their profile in the United States, the attack with the most consequences was that against the UKs ACS:Law, the notorious law firm that with its partners seeks to turn alleged infringements of copyright into a cash business. That business is now in shreds after ACS:Law bungled an attempt to bring its site back online and published its own email database to the public.

Last night, as first reported by Slyck.com, Operation Payback took aim at a new target, AFACT the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft. Although it took a little while for the site to go down, the attack eventually achieved its aims but now it seems that it also generated some serious unintended side-effects.

According to an announcement by AFACTs host, Netregistry, A DDoS attack began to take place at approximately 8:30AM AEST, with a group of hackers attacking the firewall by flooding it with connections attempting to take down all servers.

Although referring to those charging their Low Orbit Ion Cannons as hackers is something of a stretch, and even though the attacks were eventually dealt with by Netregistry, according to Neil Gane from AFACT nearly 8,000 other websites were also taken down in the attack.

A lot of these sites are small Australian businesses and Government web sites, Gane told ITnews. They have been affected by this senseless act.

Currently Operation Payback is showing few signs that it is running out of steam. One has to wonder though. Although some will argue that there is a strong need for civil disobedience to draw attention to a cause where perhaps few are listening, things can easily take a different turn.

Although we have no cast iron evidence other than his comments, its believed that ACS:Laws Andrew Crossley called in the police last week after he was harassed at home. He has since used the word criminal to describe the actions against his website and few will disagree that taking down 8,000 websites, even temporarily and/or accidentally, is a serious affair. When some of those sites belong to a government, questions start to get asked.

Will Operation Payback continue as promised or will it stop of its own accord? Will it be stopped by force? Is it even possible to stop it by force, any more than its possible to stop people sharing files? Time will tell but one thing is certain. If Operation Payback was designed to generate attention, it has done that, in a very, very big way.

Granted it was an accident, but still I don't think it'll go unnoticed for much longer.

Jesus Christ, can't you just admit that you're wrong? :rolleyes:

Cause I'm not wrong.

The /b/ civil wars are also known as the "Boxxy period". Basicly half of /b/ loved boxxy and the other half absolutely hated. This created two movements inside of /b/: One that focused solely on attacking Boxxy's image, spreading fake accounts throughout the webs. The other faction instead defended boxxy by erasing the efforts of the other chans.

/b/ was a huge mess at the time, and that took a long time to end, but during that period either faction was very well organized, almost resembling an army. All it was needed to start a war wasa single post at times.

Now it's the same, but instead of being against each other they are targeting other websites. Some deserve it tbh.

It was hardly a civil war. It was a few people following the boxxy meme and a few people who were annoyed by it. It took up a fair amount of threads, but I wouldn't call it a civil war at all.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

• 3 weeks later...