Extreme potions: cheaper than normal ones?

Kirbyallstar

don't like that it lowers my hitpoints on tasks like irons/steels (which i do in bandos/veracs and heal w/ flash soulsplit), it is possible for them to kill you when you start at 490

and torstols keep getting more pricy so when my stash (which is already 1/3 gone) from getting 99 herb is gone, they will be expensive to replace

extremes seem to be pretty stable in price

--

btw i still use overload at bosses of course

Another reason your calculations are meaningless is that they don't mimic real situations- the people that use potions usually pot every 5-8 minutes, not every time they go down to level-x.

If you apply that "potting every 5-8 minutes" to normal range potions then you are doing exactly what I stated already. Every minute equals 1 boosted level. So say if you pot every let's say 7 minutes, you pot after your stats have dropped 7 levels, which makes your range 105/99. This is exactly what I've been saying the whole time, so I don't know where you keep going with this.

And if you want me to apply this to extremes, I'm just saying that potting every 17 minutes will make extremes cheaper than if you pot every 5-8 minutes. This can also be seen in my original post. L

It might just be me, but I do not see people using extreme range for general training purpose. They broke their bank getting extremes, so they mostly use extremes solely for bossing to make that money back. They think that since training herblore is so expensive, extremes must be equally expensive and would choose normal potions to train with.

What's the alternative? Let them sit in the bank??? Several thousands of extreme pots sitting in the bank because they were expensive to make?

You have it all wrong. Once they are made they have no internal value anymore. I use extreme pots for everything. Since they are worth exactly nothing. They are the cheapest level boosts there are for me, since I can't sell them and I have a supply that will last me a lifetime no matter what I do.

You should see me use recover specials. You might think it bothers me to drink them every 30 seconds. How much money is that down the drain? Absolutely nothing. I already made them. Can't sell them. Can just as well use them.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

It might just be me, but I do not see people using extreme range for general training purpose. They broke their bank getting extremes, so they mostly use extremes solely for bossing to make that money back. They think that since training herblore is so expensive, extremes must be equally expensive and would choose normal potions to train with.

What's the alternative? Let them sit in the bank??? Several thousands of extreme pots sitting in the bank because they were expensive to make?

You have it all wrong. Once they are made they have no internal value anymore. I use extreme pots for everything. Since they are worth exactly nothing. They are the cheapest level boosts there are for me, since I can't sell them and I have a supply that will last me a lifetime no matter what I do.

You should see me use recover specials. You might think it bothers me to drink them every 30 seconds. How much money is that down the drain? Absolutely nothing. I already made them. Can't sell them. Can just as well use them.

Ya, I was mistaken. My b, coach.

Technically youve just lost all the money before hand, instead of after the drinking :)

O.O

Another reason your calculations are meaningless is that they don't mimic real situations- the people that use potions usually pot every 5-8 minutes, not every time they go down to level-x.

If you apply that "potting every 5-8 minutes" to normal range potions then you are doing exactly what I stated already. Every minute equals 1 boosted level. So say if you pot every let's say 7 minutes, you pot after your stats have dropped 7 levels, which makes your range 105/99. This is exactly what I've been saying the whole time, so I don't know where you keep going with this.

And if you want me to apply this to extremes, I'm just saying that potting every 17 minutes will make extremes cheaper than if you pot every 5-8 minutes. This can also be seen in my original post. L

Kirby, what he means is, whether it is extremes or supers, most people repot after, say, 5 minutes. There, the picture isn't quite so clear: does the higher boost of extremes more than make up for the extra cost of repotting every 5 minutes compared to repotting every 5 minutes with supers? That'd be interesting to figure out.

Myself, I repot less often with extremes, but I usually wait for x-level as that's harder to mess up (for melee, I wait until I'm down to 110).

Capt_Davy.png AbandonnedHeroKeyer25.png

Kirby, what he means is, whether it is extremes or supers, most people repot after, say, 5 minutes. There, the picture isn't quite so clear: does the higher boost of extremes more than make up for the extra cost of repotting every 5 minutes compared to repotting every 5 minutes with supers? That'd be interesting to figure out.

Myself, I repot less often with extremes, but I usually wait for x-level as that's harder to mess up (for melee, I wait until I'm down to 110).

Ah, but let's say you challenge that dynamic and alter your use of extremes accordingly. If you would repot every so-and-so minutes at 105/99 with regulars, you could instead repot at 105/99 every such-and-such minutes with extremes and there you go, it's potentially cheaper for an even better boost.

The problem is, in reality, potting every ~5-10 levels with extremes is EFFICIENT, meaning that if you were to wait longer, you'd actually be losing money. You'd be losing tons of money with normal potions anyway, but that's another story. It all comes down to the one dimensional world the author sees runescape as- he creates a test that has no relevance to reality, he then ignores the most important points about using potions(added efficiency) and comes up with a result he likes, but as i already said, in this test he devised, it'd actually be CHEAPEST to not use potions at all.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Take into consideration the cost of getting the Herb level to make the pots, then we can talk about it.

That's the thing- right now, i could easily prove that using no potions at all is much cheaper, but as he hasn't taken into account how to get 92 herblore or how potting effects your combat efficiency, he can't argue that i'm wrong. But yea, if you didn't already know it(and you obviously should have), everyone who has the herblore level uses extremes for training- that's the only reason they got those high herblore levels. Another reason your calculations are meaningless is that they don't mimic real situations- the people that use potions usually pot every 5-8 minutes, not every time they go down to level-x.

Golvellius- efficiency is vital for those who want to play this game successfully but don't have an enormous amount of free time lying around. Sure, it's possible to nolife your way to anything, but as efficiency proves, that if you do the things in the right way, you will be saving alot of time. I can't stress it enough, you can't buy time. So while you may have 10 hours to play every day, i'll achieve exactly the same things in 7.

Or you could just play the game for fun and enjoy your time playing, its a game not a job. Its not a contest of how fast you can get 99s or 200mil xp its a game that you should be playing for fun....

Take into consideration the cost of getting the Herb level to make the pots, then we can talk about it.

That's the thing- right now, i could easily prove that using no potions at all is much cheaper, but as he hasn't taken into account how to get 92 herblore or how potting effects your combat efficiency, he can't argue that i'm wrong. But yea, if you didn't already know it(and you obviously should have), everyone who has the herblore level uses extremes for training- that's the only reason they got those high herblore levels. Another reason your calculations are meaningless is that they don't mimic real situations- the people that use potions usually pot every 5-8 minutes, not every time they go down to level-x.

Golvellius- efficiency is vital for those who want to play this game successfully but don't have an enormous amount of free time lying around. Sure, it's possible to nolife your way to anything, but as efficiency proves, that if you do the things in the right way, you will be saving alot of time. I can't stress it enough, you can't buy time. So while you may have 10 hours to play every day, i'll achieve exactly the same things in 7.

Or you could just play the game for fun and enjoy your time playing, its a game not a job. Its not a contest of how fast you can get 99s or 200mil xp its a game that you should be playing for fun....

Some people find the most enjoyable way to play the game is by maximizing their efficiency.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Well, obviously efficiency and fun never go together... or common sense and intelligence, for those who think so.

The problem is, in reality, potting every ~5-10 levels with extremes is EFFICIENT, meaning that if you were to wait longer, you'd actually be losing money. You'd be losing tons of money with normal potions anyway, but that's another story. It all comes down to the one dimensional world the author sees runescape as- he creates a test that has no relevance to reality, he then ignores the most important points about using potions(added efficiency) and comes up with a result he likes, but as i already said, in this test he devised, it'd actually be CHEAPEST to not use potions at all.

But it does still prove that the extreme version is unquestionably better than the regular version. (Faster AND cheaper.)

But it does still prove that the extreme version is unquestionably better than the regular version. (Faster AND cheaper.)

Which would be relevant if that fact was actually in question. However, if someone asks you if 92 is a bigger number than 45, do you really need to do the calculation to be sure? But in any case, it still doesn't solve the problem that by his calculations, using no potions at all would be the best option.

Ah, but let's say you challenge that dynamic and alter your use of extremes accordingly. If you would repot every so-and-so minutes at 105/99 with regulars, you could instead repot at 105/99 every such-and-such minutes with extremes and there you go, it's potentially cheaper for an even better boost.

That's completely true, but I feel that (ideally) I'd like to be at a sufficiently noticeably high boost, which happens to be around 110 for me (with melee). However, if I used supers, I'd just be repotting too often, so with supers, I tend to settle for a lower level before repotting. With extremes though, i boost high enough that it lasts for quite a while before dropping down to 110, so i have no problem with drinking away a dose of extremes every time my melee stats drop down to 110.

You're right, that's not the most cost-effective use of extremes vs supers, but at least I can finally get the boost I want with extremes, and have it last sufficiently long enough that i don't feel like I'm overpaying for my boost. For me, that satisfaction is worth it. (Well worth it with more extremes than I know what to do with banked)

Capt_Davy.png AbandonnedHeroKeyer25.png

TBH, i didn't mean for this to be an efficiency thread lol. I just wanted to point out that extremes can be cheaper than normals purely based on the GE values of buying and making them.

I factored the melee x pots as gp/xp to make, making them for herb xp. Technically, they are free to use then.

Kirby, that is 100% the wrong way to think about it, as well. One simply can not only take into consideration a single factor and try to make a point about something. To not factor in xp, opportunity cost, and real life usage you will be nowhere accurate.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

True, but calculating the efficiency of potion drinking is difficult to map out. It depends on what you are killing, how fast you can kill them, and how often you re-pot. If you truly wanted efficiency, you would pot every minute like at frost dragons. I mean, keeping your stats boosted to the max will result in more kills per hour right? Surely the price of the bones pays off the cost of the pots right? That's why I didn't want to speak about efficiency. There are too many factors to keep track of.

True, but calculating the efficiency of potion drinking is difficult to map out. It depends on what you are killing, how fast you can kill them, and how often you re-pot. If you truly wanted efficiency, you would pot every minute like at frost dragons. I mean, keeping your stats boosted to the max will result in more kills per hour right? Surely the price of the bones pays off the cost of the pots right? That's why I didn't want to speak about efficiency. There are too many factors to keep track of.

In that scenario, overloads would be better.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.