Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Wilderness

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Vio
[ Display Name History ]

Vio

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
2002 - 2010
Posted Image

Just look at it.

7 years ago, there was virtually nothing in the wilderness. Now we have a huge, useless volcano taking up half of it. It's crowded with minigames like FoG, SC and CWA. You have quests there like Summer's End.

Point being, there are far too many landmarks. Even for new players, after 2 or 3 trips into the wild, you get to know where things are and can find yourself.

Back in RSC and the old days, it was different. You could go in, and get lost. That's what I liked about it - the adventure.

The Wilderness isn't wilderness anymore. It's another Runescape city. Discuss.

Darth_Magul
[ Display Name History ]

Darth_Magul

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 19 posts
  • RSN:Darth Magul
  • Clan:The Silent Guardians
There's also the fact that it's much smaller. Jagex removed a bunch of areas they deemed "pointless".

I miss the poison spiders and the two black knights.

Posted Image

Toad
[ Display Name History ]

Toad

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,886 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Poison spiders used to be 100k ranged xp per hour with cannon, bring them back!
Posted Image

Ezz
[ Display Name History ]

Ezz

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 899 posts
  • RSN:Ez
Yes I agree, those were the days. IMO they should make the wilderness larger now and make all the landmarks more "spread out". And remove the volcano haha. Oh and I don't see a reason to why clan wars takes such large space, the majority of the clan wars arenas take place off the face of the main world anyways. They should simply just have the starting area and put the lava arena in whatever place all the other arenas are in. Kind of lazy by Jagex I think :razz:
[Insert birds flying in a circle here]
Yes, that sig was annoying.

Dax
[ Display Name History ]

Dax

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,014 posts
Get rid of the Clan Wars arena, dump it with the others, and then I think the Wilderness would be better place.

#KERR2016/17/18/19.

#rpgformod

xxshady
[ Display Name History ]

xxshady

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xxshady
You miss the days where there was nothing interesting in the wilderness and the design of it was essentially copy-paste dirt for miles?

I knew the RS Community valued nostalgia more than any other community on the planet, but this is REALLY bad.

I've been playing since '03 and I dont miss that useless, scam-infested barren wasteland at all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Neos_Matrix
[ Display Name History ]

Neos_Matrix

X-TET

• Members
  • 845 posts
  • RSN:ElricEdward
  • RSN2:Tet Null 355
  • Clan:Ex-TET Member

Get rid of the Clan Wars arena, dump it with the others, and then I think the Wilderness would be better place.

I agree, even though there are like 5 different Clan Wars maps, you only see one in the wilderness.

Why? Dunno, but its a real eyesore. Take the Clan Wars thingy out, and then it'll look better. *look towards the Wilderness Volcano* Oh noes...

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

Star_Fox
[ Display Name History ]

Star_Fox

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,971 posts
Shouldn't the clan wars/bounty hunter arena all be put in another location outside the world map? (kind of like dungeons)
And I agree with you. The wilderness looks like another big city.

Evil_Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Evil_Sabre

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  • Location:A city built on rock and roll is not structurally sound.
  • RSN:Evil Sabre

You miss the days where there was nothing interesting in the wilderness and the design of it was essentially copy-paste dirt for miles?

I knew the RS Community valued nostalgia more than any other community on the planet, but this is REALLY bad.

I've been playing since '03 and I dont miss that useless, scam-infested barren wasteland at all.

I enjoyed the copy-paste dirt.

It was exciting the first few times I explored there, not knowing where the hell I was, constantly on the lookout for blood-thirsty pkers. Now there are banks, mini games, familiar places everywhere. Danger is the last thing people think of when they're in the wilderness now.
Posted Image

My_Eggs
[ Display Name History ]

My_Eggs

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,514 posts

I think it's more of the fact that the wilderness is kind of cluttered now. Not that it should be empty, just larger and more spread out, that way there's still room for us to get lost again.
99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Star_Fox
[ Display Name History ]

Star_Fox

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,971 posts
Why is everyone complaining about getting lost in the wilderness is a good thing? Yeah, its the WILDERNESS but
there's essentially no point in trying to compliment this matter because it brings frustration to the majority of us
and we're gaining absolutely nothing for being lost in an online game. If its for the sake of challenge, the only thing
we should worry about is the loss of PKING there. Now what do we have? Reverents with the intellect of a 3 year old
who can never pose any significant threat to even the weakest rs player. *sigh* If I wanted the "wilderness" feeling back,
the only thing I would definitely want is pking.

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)
I definitely agree that the wilderness seems much less . . . threatening . . . these days. There's landmarks everywhere so you're never lost, there's nothing really scary (lol rev dragons, yeah right), and there's no paranoia. I used to hate the wilderness because I was always worried about being PK'd. When I saw a white dot, I'd immediately run away and hide.

Good times.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

I definitely agree that the wilderness seems much less . . . threatening . . . these days. There's landmarks everywhere so you're never lost, there's nothing really scary (lol rev dragons, yeah right), and there's no paranoia. I used to hate the wilderness because I was always worried about being PK'd. When I saw a white dot, I'd immediately run away and hide.

Good times.

Love nostalgia. Always raises the question - WAS it actually better/more fun/more whatever back then, or is it just nostalgia speaking? Like, remember good things, forget bad things, and people remembering things a lot more fondly once it's a memory, and not an active experience.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Year
[ Display Name History ]

Year

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
After StellarDawn, RuneScape will be dead.
Enjoy Jagex updating RuneScape while you still can. ;)

J35u5_M4
[ Display Name History ]

J35u5_M4

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • RSN:J35u5 M4
  • Clan:True Maxed
Now that you mention it, it's not even dangerous anymore, just bring armor and there we go, no more revenants :/. They should remove that stuff and move it somewhere else, make it like it used to be, a place where you were afraid to go to and that you could get lost at :3

Posted Image

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,477 posts
Wilderness has been dead since the volcano and mini games were added. While even prior to that it doesnt match the rsc wildy, it still was amazing back then. The trade updates really took something from rs....

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)

Good times.

Love nostalgia. Always raises the question - WAS it actually better/more fun/more whatever back then, or is it just nostalgia speaking? Like, remember good things, forget bad things, and people remembering things a lot more fondly once it's a memory, and not an active experience.

Did it look better? No. Was there more to do? No. Was it more dangerous? Hell yes. Was it more paranoia-inducing? Hell yes. I miss the danger and the sense of foreboding. I'm not a nostalgic person, really.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

AnneFrank
[ Display Name History ]

AnneFrank

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 697 posts
  • RSN:AnneFrank
  • RSN2:Hold_Drink
  • Clan:True 0wnage
I miss the grave yard
back in f2p that was the best place for training X_

Wilderness is like the a city, never though of like that. :/

Evil_Sabre
[ Display Name History ]

Evil_Sabre

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  • Location:A city built on rock and roll is not structurally sound.
  • RSN:Evil Sabre

After StellarDawn, RuneScape will be dead.
Enjoy Jagex updating RuneScape while you still can. ;)

Looks like God just joined the TIF community, welcome.
Posted Image

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,419 posts
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:The Farming Guild

Good times.

No, it's definitely the latter.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users