Spot stealing wrong?

Zierro

Runescape's [bleep]s are showing themselves in this thread. If only we could make a complete list of them so that considerate players know who not to afford their kindness to when a training spot is taken.

I am not sure in what world you are living. It's called competition and in my world it's legal and even from economical point of view IT IS BENEFICIAL. If you are the only person that sells .. am .. let's say chairs in a small village/community ... well I will come and crush you as much as I can, tl;dr the first person to arrive does not have a monopoly over a region/product (with little exceptions). There is nothing wrong in spot stealing, it happens irl, it's legal, it's .. healthy :lol: , get over it :wall:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think this thread is the same as the crashing thread (which imo it isn't), you do not have to post saying so. You can always, and I suggest not posting and letting those who want to, to discuss the topic.

Lets also keep any flame and judgements on others minimal, the topic is not about the people, it is about the practice of stealing a spot. Keep it that way or posts may be removed.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

tl;dr

Spot stealing skilling spots is inefficient and unnecessary in 90%+ of cases.

Crashing boss spawns is efficient and necessary in 90%+ of cases.

Either way, you're being mean, but who cares. Get over it.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

If its a crowded spot either due to the world itself being unique or all the worlds being crowded then its acceptable.

If its a spot thats easily empty on a different world (even if it means hopper upto 10 times or so) or there is a spot nearby that spot that is empty then its just lame to try and crash it. Most of the time you only slow yourself and the other person down.

Some spots in the game are share-able but that generally isnt what would be labelled under spot stealing. If its share-able then go to the effort to share it. Anything with a cannon is nearly always a no no.

For the record - I got all the best stuff available. I got the talent. However I dont go around spot stealing as its just lame. I hop for ages if necessary if I know what im hopping for isnt usually completely flooded like a boss monster might be.

-

If you feel like trying to crash me all you do is force me to pause the film im watching, (which is irritating but used to it.) slow me down a little per hour, and watch me rake in more kills than you. If your particularly an idiot like putting a cannon directly next to mine then I just keep blocking your cannon with my foe giving me more damage per hour. Its just completely pointless and slows us both down but I aint being 'bullied' or whatever into hopping. Especially if I had to hop 5 times or whatever to find a empty world myself.

For the most part it has happened so many times that I dont care however I will continue to defend a spot since im there and dont see why I should be bullied. The worse is when im watching a film and feel like I need to pause it but thats just irritating more than anything. Like wasps when having a picknick. I hate wasps.

For the most part it has happened so many times that I dont care however I will continue to defend a spot since im there and dont see why I should be bullied. The worse is when im watching a film and feel like I need to pause it but thats just irritating more than anything. Like wasps when having a picknick. I hate wasps.

Agreed. Has happened to me a few times while training ranged at mummies where I had to pause whatever I was multitasking with just to fend of a crasher.

Mummies aren't even crowded most of the time, but the crashers hopped after a while because they cared about wasting chins/runes on bad exp while I didn't.

All the old skilling spots which were in demand all the time has cooled off. For example, the coal mines next to the fishing spot in barb ville, or the coal under falador. No one hardly goes there at all these days, so it's not like you need to steal.

Staurolite.png

Stealing implies at least one of the parties has some type of ownership, which they don't.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Ownership is not needed to have something stolen off you. This one definitely comes down to morals as there is no real reason to steal a spot that isn't high in demand.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Ownership is not needed to have something stolen off you. This one definitely comes down to morals as there is no real reason to steal a spot that isn't high in demand.

Legally, it is.

This one definitely comes down to morals as there is no real reason to steal a spot that isn't high in demand.

Is opinion. I don't see how anyone can claim that morally there is something wrong, without giving me the basis for what this "moral" is based upon. If its just what you think, then I couldn't care less. Most people's opinion is irrlevant to me.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Legally, it is.

I think that depends on whether stealing requires outright ownership of said item or simple possession of it. I think stealing means ownership and possession means you've taken it.

Legally, it is.

I think that depends on whether stealing requires outright ownership of said item or simple possession of it. I think stealing means ownership and possession means you've taken it.

It depends on what you mean "possession". How you use that term changes things.

Stonewall337.png

Legally, it is.

It depends on what you mean "possession". How you use that term changes things.

Possesion means possession. If you steal someone's wallet out of their pocket, they possess, but they don't own it. I think you can possess a spot, but you cannot own it. Instead of spot stealers we should call them 'claim jumpers?"

Not really. If I am on the swings, I'm not possessing them, I'm using them. There is a difference.

Stonewall337.png

Far too many players act as though they're in a single-player game where everything exists solely for their benefit

Just one more thing.

Since its a multiplayer game, as you know, one should accept the fact that colliding with others is unevitable.

I don't think acting as if it's a single player game is the problem. It's reacting to people as if it was that's the issue.

You're right.

I've played countless RPG's through the years, yet RS is the only game where I've experienced players throwing temper tantrums about somebody arriving at the same training area as them, and going so far as to rant about it on various boards, lol.

I don't see the problem.

No one owns a spot so no one can steal it.

Whoever was there first already had their turn using the spot, so he should leave so that the person that comes later gets his turn using the spot.

For me, if the person appears to be efficient and has decent stats (for example, at a slayer task or mining site) then I would hop. If the person is low-levelled or afking (wasting time) then I would take their spot

Sometimes I hop when people find me to be 'low-levelled' and take my spot

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

Ownership is not needed to have something stolen off you.

How do you figure?

Yeah, if it's not yours, how can they steal it in the first place? o.O

I'll be the first to say....ok, well, other people are bound to have said this...anyhoo....

My view is that no one should crash or steal peoples spots for most activities, because frankly most things you do, a few hops and you find an empty worlds. It's nice when people do this, but sometimes they don't, and it isn't technically wrong to do. Morally/ethically you could argue it's wrong to steal someones spot, despite that argument fading in the case of GW or rune rocks, but it remains in the game and is something we have to deal with. Unless Jagex starts instancing a lot :P

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Instead of spot stealers we should call them 'claim jumpers?"

"Crashers" is the correct term for that.

Also, as stated a few posts above, there is nothing unusual about spot stealing. This is a Massive Multiplayer Online game, obviously there are going to be people trying to beat the crap out of you.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

this thread is so much like the crashing thread and lol @ anyone in denial of that

the same repeated opinions and claims will just circle around and around.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top