What do you do?

Roseiah

I have recently returned to Runescape from several months break from playing and one of the first things I did was go mining. I was mining iron int eh dwarven mines and like what has always been there was competition. Someone would appear and begin mining.

Now don't worry this isn't a rant.

I was just curious as to what people do in this situation. If you are in a resource spot and someone comes along and there aren't enough resources for two people to train together, what do you do?

On the other side of the coin, if you head to a resource spot and someone else is already training there what do you do?

I personally stay in the resource spot if someone else comes. I am of the belief first come first served and I think that while it puts my training down a bit, it also annoys the other person who may eventually switch worlds. Stubborn I know but hey.

On the other hand if I see someone training then I tend to switch worlds to find an empty one.

Back to the question, What do you do in this situation?

The polite thing to do in each situation is:

A) If somebody else comes, ask them to hop, if that fails, you can either stand your ground and ruin their training or move on to greener pastures.

B) when going to an occupied resource, hop to find an empty world, if you cannot find an empty world, you will be forced to compete.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

A) If somebody else comes, ask them to hop, if that fails, you can either stand your ground and ruin their training or move on to greener pastures.

B) when going to an occupied resource, hop to find an empty world, if you cannot find an empty world, you will be forced to compete.

Nah that's not needed.

We talked about this in the crashing thread. Nobody has an inherent ownership or right to the spot just because they got there first; it's the responsibility of both parties to choose whether to compete or not. If someone else comes along and wants to fight, you either accept the challenge and try to fight, or you hop. If you go to a world and someone's there already, you either hop or you challenge them.

Sure, you can ask nicely for them to hop, but politeness-wise it's not really different from asking them nicely to give you a free 10k (or if you're the one hopping to be nice, from offering to give them a free 10k). There's no obligation, and there's no breach of etiquette if you decline.

Nah that's not needed.

We talked about this in the crashing thread. Nobody has an inherent ownership or right to the spot just because they got there first; it's the responsibility of both parties to choose whether to compete or not. If someone else comes along and wants to fight, you either accept the challenge and try to fight, or you hop. If you go to a world and someone's there already, you either hop or you challenge them.

Sure, you can ask nicely for them to hop, but politeness-wise it's not really different from asking them nicely to give you a free 10k (or if you're the one hopping to be nice, from offering to give them a free 10k). There's no obligation, and there's no breach of etiquette if you decline.

Eh, it's still the polite thing to do; if your doing something where hopping can easily find you an empty world, that's the polite thing to do. Depends on what your doing.... rune rocks, Bandos GW.... definitely crash. Vs doing some skilling where you can easily hop to find an empty world.... Can't think of any examples though. Some mining definitely....

I mean, not saying you HAVE to be polite, plus (say it's something mining related) you have 10 mining levels on the guy and a dragon pickaxe vs his rune one.... Maybe you crash him because you can.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Nah that's not needed.

Eh, it's still the polite thing to do; if your doing something where hopping can easily find you an empty world, that's the polite thing to do. Depends on what your doing.... rune rocks, Bandos GW.... definitely crash. Vs doing some skilling where you can easily hop to find an empty world.... Can't think of any examples though. Some mining definitely....

I mean, not saying you HAVE to be polite, plus (say it's something mining related) you have 10 mining levels on the guy and a dragon pickaxe vs his rune one.... Maybe you crash him because you can.

Mostly my point is that if there are any conventions of courtesy that should apply to this situation, none of them are contingent on who was there first. The one who should politely bow out, if anyone, is whoever has the lower mining level or, alternately, whoever places the highest value on having the spot to himself.

Nah that's not needed.

Mostly my point is that if there are any conventions of courtesy that should apply to this situation, none of them are contingent on who was there first. The one who should politely bow out, if anyone, is whoever has the lower mining level or, alternately, whoever places the highest value on having the spot to himself.

I disagree. oliteness has a lot to do with who was there first. I'm not saying it is the norm, what does happen or what you have to do, but to be polite, you generally respect the social norms we have in real life, which is that who was there first generally has the right to stay.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

When all is polite:

1) If you go to a spot where someone else is training, you hop;

2) Vice versa, they hop.

When they're being anal:

1) Crash, and make life as difficult as possible in the process until they learn that anonymity isn't an excuse for a loss of common courtesy.

Nah that's not needed.

I disagree. politeness has a lot to do with who was there first. I'm not saying it is the norm, what does happen or what you have to do, but to be polite, you generally respect the social norms we have in real life, which is that who was there first generally has the right to stay.

Since this is an opinionated subject, it doesn't really matter, but I agree that the more efficient person should get the spot (which he probably will by crashing)

If player A gains 50k xp/hr, but player B is semi-afking, low-leveled, or unfocused and only gains 20k xp/hr, then player A should get the spot because the minute or two spent hopping would be better spent by player B to minimize xp loss. Also, if player A has to hop to a less-populated world (meaning slower respawns) and suffers a 5% efficiency loss, then more xp will be lost than if player B had hopped. (Because the resource we are discussing is the iron rocks, no xp will be lost by player A if he is crashing properly because he will simply mine the rock before player B does. The only way that player B can upset player A is to stick to the middle rock and mine it as it respawns as player A will have to turn/run to the rock before mining it, therefore arriving too late and continually missing out on the ore. In this case, player B will have to focus harder to lower both players' xp rates, and that should be the definition of rudeness.)

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

I crash. Crash, crash, CRASH. It's a game, I don't give a flying crap about who comes first or who "steals" my spot.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Oh look, another thread about crashing. Hey guys, let's regurgitate the same [cabbage] we always do -- someone's bound to make headway someday. :rolleyes:

If it's a popular resource, crash blahblahblah if it's not, don't crash blahblahblah etc.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Oh look, another thread about crashing. Hey guys, let's regurgitate the same [cabbage] we always do -- someone's bound to make headway someday. :rolleyes:

If it's a popular resource, crash blahblahblah if it's not, don't crash blahblahblah etc.

It's not really the same thing, if anything, this is a questionaire, asking what would you do in X situation.

For this situation, it depends on which mining spot it is. If it's the Iron at the dwarven mines, there's usually not a spot open (F2p), so I'd probably compete. If I was already there, and they come to crash, I'd compete, if I got the ores, I'd never leave, if they got them, I'd hop a few times, then try to take another.

For P2p, there's usually no one there, or empty worlds are easy to find, so I'd just hop until I found one.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png