The Future Runescape Economy

Isthatok

Note: This thread is solely about the Runescape Economy as a result of the mentioned event.

Jagex has made it pretty clear that they're going to "restore" the Wilderness and Free Trade. With that in mind...

What will the economy look like a year from now? What items will be affected, and in what way? Are we going to see a widespread drop in prices, or will things increase/stay the same? What will happen to the GE and to merchants?

Usually I try to wrap my head around things like these but this update is just too huge for me to get a good answer for myself. So what do you think? Let's gather some opinions and perspectives.

jOi7G.png

~PM me and I'll do my best to make you a signature!~

Yes, I'm finding it difficult to figure out how merchanting clans will affect the economy as well. On one hand, they can't force people to buy their items off the GE but that would just mean the buying price becomes lower... (And the other way around)

And then with that, we get into the debate over whether or not the GE limits will be lifted, and/or just be "recommended' prices.

jOi7G.png

One GP will have a real world value. This will tie the game back to real life, and external pressures elsewhere in the world can affect the game's economy.

Also expect no change in inflation - items will no longer be created and coins will no longer be created (only destroyed) through PVP.

I wonder if they'll remove current PVP/BH worlds, if corrupt dragon items will be destroyed...

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

They seem like they're not expecting their required vote count. So I wouldn't say that this is a definite.

I have no idea what will happen, though, I'm usually terrible at predictions.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I don't think much will happen.. Of course there will be the initial panic selling and buying, some supply and demand issues (which automatically is fixed quickly) and perhaps a small raise in pk'ing items.

I'm thinking the biggest change will be that items with a street-value (cracker, phats, divine, half full wine jug, pumpkin, easter egg, disk) will raise a ton to get closer to their real value.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

All I need to know is that junk trading and manipulation clans will be gone. Scammers didn't really affect me because I'm not stupid/absent minded enough to fall for their cheap tricks. Those two however affected everyone. X is being merched? Too bad, you can't buy X until they dump it. X has "street"? Too bad, because the likelihood that anyone even has enough junk to cover it is low, and you probably would have to offer other items with "street" or "risings".

Items like divines obviously won't have prices in the 1b+ range. They only had a "street" of over 1b because, surprise, junk actually has some value. It was useful for lending out big ticket items for 600k/12-24h. Of course when free trade comes again junk will be useless because you can lend for whatever you want without balancing the trade.

I'm a bit disappointed that Jagex didn't put free trade and wild in two separate polls. I'm not sure I like wild coming back to all worlds, though knowing that I would still vote yes for the sake of free trade. I hope they bring back free trade soon instead of waiting to release it with wild, because as they said bringing back the wild will entail moving a lot of content out of the wilderness, like the quests, minigames etc.

Prices of d bones will go up a lot since bots kill drags in chaos tunnels :shame:

So you're saying that the more bots there are there will be a higher supply of d bones. Therefore the price goes up?

Prices of d bones will go up a lot since bots kill drags in chaos tunnels :shame:

So you're saying that the more bots there are there will be a higher supply of d bones. Therefore the price goes up?

no?

Seems like it to me.. :unsure:

no?

ct = wild. wild = pkers. bots + pkers = ??? :rolleyes:

no?

ct =|= wild. wild = pkers. bots + pkers = ???

no?

last I checked you need to run through a nice stretch of wild to get there :thumbdown:

no?

last I checked you need to run through a nice stretch of wild to get there :thumbdown:

Bring food. The bots did fine in old wild. Let's stop spamming.

This has HUGE implications for merchants on all levels. I'm going to think this through and probably make a thread just on this topic - but just off the top of my head, the rares market is going to go absolutely haywire once the trading caps are gone.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

This has HUGE implications for merchants on all levels. I'm going to think this through and probably make a thread just on this topic - but just off the top of my head, the rares market is going to go absolutely haywire once the trading caps are gone.

Yea, since my source of income comes from merchanting (don't worry, not merch clans; I'm a solo flipper) I hope it won't affect the GE TOO much... It would be interesting if you could still put in offers for lower/higher than the min/max prices, or if they'll take out those limits completely and leave it with just a market price.

jOi7G.png

So I'm guessing to some extent prices will drop somewhat close to what they were back in 2007?

I think so

I doubt it tbh because pre GE Santas were 20m, but nowadays almost everyone who seriously plays RS has 20m+.

My Predictions Santa/Masks 100-200m

Phats 500m-1b

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

So I'm guessing to some extent prices will drop somewhat close to what they were back in 2007?

I think so

I doubt it tbh because pre GE Santas were 20m, but nowadays almost everyone who seriously plays RS has 20m+.

My Predictions Santa/Masks 100-200m

Phats 500m-1b

Would it even effect santa and mask prices, seeing as they don't really have any street as it is.