Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 30th January 2011

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Read these rules before posting in this thread

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
"Economic Ignorance" seems to lack a strong conclusion, from my quick scan through of the article. Hmm..

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:The Ancient
Not to be harsh, but the main point of Economic Ignorance is to say that changes to the economy are happening. Isn't that really obvious anyway?
Posted Image
Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Andregiant
[ Display Name History ]

Andregiant

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:AndreGiant
"Economic Ignorance"

I liked the article, reminds me of me :)
I'm a pretty high level, and have no idea, or care, on how the 'rs economy' works.
I buy at full, and sell at less, at GE.

One thing is sure, Free trade will change some items price.

(I know some friends who just can't wait till Feb 1 :) )

"Tip.it Times"

I read the Tip.it times for the enjoyment of reading. I'm not looking for answers, or tips, or anything.
What some people find obvious, "been said before", irrelevant, etc, I find entertaining.

I look forward to every sunday, for the new issue. Keep 'em coming, I'll keep on reading.........
Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

Omnitec
[ Display Name History ]

Omnitec

Lord of the Dance

• Website Crew
  • 2,538 posts
  • RSN:Omni
On the first article;

This has been accomplished by running events, being in their clan chats a lot and spending more time talking to their players in a more general way. But, what are they doing for us?

Haven't you just answered that? :P Anyway, when you talk about slack I don't really see it, and I don't understand how they can slack due to community things, as this year is the Year of Clan updates anyway :P. Nor do I really get how the notes system is a way of Jagex talking to the community past the example of a referendum about an update, I think you should have used that as an example instead to make it relevant to the now. :) . I agree with their support on the social networking sites, however I'd like to see more of them turning out to events like they used to, it seems unfortunately Jagex are catering for their own community and not reaching out to Fansites as much, as RSOF Events teams now get huge support with their leaders becoming moderators on the forum quite often.

On the second article, I think the meat and purpose of the article were in the last 2 paragraphs, which is unfortunate since I think this could've been the dominating the content, but I agree entirely. I know not a lot about the economy, and 2 days or so before the free trade I will sell my raw rocktails even though I know they'd be a much higher price after free trade and Wilderness. If I knew more though, I'd be tempted to get into economy manipulation, predicting prices in the future, which I wouldn't enjoy :ohnoes:

dczlnn.pngUSPPEP8.pngdczlnn.png

cultjunky
[ Display Name History ]

cultjunky

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • RSN:Cultjunky
Economic Ignorance really struck a chord with me, if someone could eplain the purpose of junk trading I'd appreciate it lol.

I consider myself to be an average player, I've always played RS as a way of relaxing and passing time. If I level, I level, if not, well maybe in my next session. As such, when it comes to using GE, I buy in the middle and sell in the middle. I don't see the way I trade will change very much come the 1st. I also think that will be true for a lot of players too.
Posted Image

Grimy_Bunyip
[ Display Name History ]

Grimy_Bunyip

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • RSN:Grimy Bunyip
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers
the thing is, intro economics are mandatory for graduation many universities now. As a freshman seminar-type course.
Most, if not all all US state funded universities require intro level economics courses or the equivalent.
In my university, ALL majors are required to learn some economics, not just business majors.
Even arts, humanities, sciences. It's all mandatory.

A few universities don't require them. Like Harvard for example.
But that's usually because higher level universities tend to give more freedom of electives than say, a state funded university.
But these universities can usually get by with assuming that you're smart enough to not need such a thing.

And the majority of students go to college nowadays.
Granted a lot of RS players haven't gone to college yet. And I understand that.
Plenty don't even live in america, and I'm speaking from a 100% US perspective.

But my expectation is, that given the opportunity, most people should be able to learn some intro level economics.
(because none of the economics principles employed on TIF are beyond intro level)
and given the number of efficiency prods on the TIF forums
the opportunities are abound.

So when I see economic ignorance, I really only draw 2 conclusions:
a) You're too lazy to learn it
b) You're too stupid to complete an intro level requirement for graduation at most American state universities.
Posted Image

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,489 posts

Economic Ignorance really struck a chord with me, if someone could eplain the purpose of junk trading I'd appreciate it lol.

I consider myself to be an average player, I've always played RS as a way of relaxing and passing time. If I level, I level, if not, well maybe in my next session. As such, when it comes to using GE, I buy in the middle and sell in the middle. I don't see the way I trade will change very much come the 1st. I also think that will be true for a lot of players too.

Junk is an item that is worth over its value, such as if Jagex made lobsters 10k each and said deal with it, there would be no way people could ever sell them with a price restriction, and no way people would ever buy them, effectively making lobster junk.

So how does someone "junk trade"? Lets say Jagex did the opposite, made another item - say dragon claws way undervalued and said deal with it. So Jagex values claws at 2mil but players agree that they are worth 30mil and no one would sell for less, how do you get claws and get rid of lobsters? If you are buying claws, the person would put up claws which would make the trade imbalance 2mil in favor of them, and then 28mil worth of lobsters, and then you would put up 30mil and you got your claws.

However it gets better, lets say those claws had a 1mil per 24 hour lend rate. So you put up your claws to lend for 24 hours and 1mil worth of lobsters, the trader puts up 1mil cash. Thus you effectively got real money for the junk. See junk is a theoretical value, and you could never find a natural buyer for the price it is valued at, and junk trading/lending are ways to get real money for the otherwise untradable junk.

cultjunky
[ Display Name History ]

cultjunky

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 88 posts

the thing is, intro economics are mandatory for graduation many universities now. As a freshman seminar-type course.
Most, if not all all US state funded universities require intro level economics courses or the equivalent.
In my university, ALL majors are required to learn some economics, not just business majors.

But that's usually because higher level universities tend to give more freedom of electives than say, a state funded university.
But these universities can usually get by with assuming that you're smart enough to not need such a thing.

But my expectation is, that given the opportunity, most people should be able to learn some intro level economics.
(because none of the economics principles employed on TIF are beyond intro level)

b) You're too stupid to complete an intro level requirement for graduation at most American state universities.

It would appear that the USA policy of 'teaching' economics is a failure, what with Lehmans causing a world wide economic crises.

Suggesting that someone is stupid or lazy because they are not fully conversant with the intricacies of a games' economics is, frankly, arrogant. When I see arrogance, I really only draw one conclusion, but I'm far too polite to type it on an open forum.
Posted Image

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze

It would appear that the USA policy of 'teaching' economics is a failure, what with Lehmans causing a world wide economic crises.

that's finance, not economics

cultjunky
[ Display Name History ]

cultjunky

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 88 posts
Thanks Ring World, your explanation of junk trading certainly made sense.
Posted Image

Aiel
[ Display Name History ]

Aiel

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,104 posts
  • RSN:Aielman
  • Clan:Collam Daan

Intro level economics is required for graduation at my HIGH SCHOOL :rolleyes:
Its not like basic economics are that hard to understand anyway...

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,489 posts

Intro level economics is required for graduation at my HIGH SCHOOL :rolleyes:
Its not like basic economics are that hard to understand anyway...

Economics was a high school requirement for me as well.

cultjunky
[ Display Name History ]

cultjunky

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 88 posts

that's finance, not economics

I understood it as an economic failure due to the irresponsible financing of risky loans. However, I intended my comment to mean that the teaching of economics is perhaps missing an element of responsible economic procedures. It could be said that as bots are employed in many trading houses, the neccesity for an individual to be 'au fait' economic mechanisms is negligible, where as an idividuals need to be aware of the consequences of various economic mechanisms and policies is potentially of greater significance. As this line of debate is taking the thread away from the intended purpose of the thread, I can't be fluffed to expand any further.
Posted Image

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab
Yeah, um, basic economics aren't hard to grasp. Part of High School here as well. However, predicting the economy, especially in the short term, is very difficult.

The thing that REALLY gets me about this whole wilde/free trade thing though... Free trade really won't change the economy that much. The items it will effect (affect?) is junk, rares, Nex/Corp only drops.

Have to say, one thing that I think the author was right about, a lot people will still continue trading through the GE.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze
the reason for the financial meltdown was because the us government was directly forcing these financial institutions to give out loans to people they knew could not repay.

which anyone who has taken any econ or finance classes could tell you is a bad idea.

america needs to teach its congressmen some econ and finance imo.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,489 posts

Yeah, um, basic economics aren't hard to grasp. Part of High School here as well. However, predicting the economy, especially in the short term, is very difficult.

The thing that REALLY gets me about this whole wilde/free trade thing though... Free trade really won't change the economy that much. The items it will effect (affect?) is junk, rares, Nex/Corp only drops.

Have to say, one thing that I think the author was right about, a lot people will still continue trading through the GE.

This is true, and people might stop trading over the GE when buying mass quantities of items, thanks to the good ol' GE limits Jagex decided to keep <_<

And why did they decide to keep them? To stop price manipulation... hah! At least it wasnt a stamp copy of to stop rwting, again.

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts

This is true, and people might stop trading over the GE when buying mass quantities of items, thanks to the good ol' GE limits Jagex decided to keep <_<

And why did they decide to keep them? To stop price manipulation... hah! At least it wasnt a stamp copy of to stop rwting, again.

No... it's to stop monopolies.

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT
Please... no more articles about the Runescape economy. It's becoming a really tiresome subject.
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel
I'm glad it struck a chord with some people. I know those who can understand the Runescape economy wouldn't really appreciate it as much but everyone has their own perspective, right? :)

Like I said, I get some of the basic ideas but the finer points just leave me. I've never done any sort of economics. In the UK, it's not any sort of required subject at GCSE level. The closest thing would be business studies that some people took, but not that many. At least when I was finishing Secondary School. So all my economic understanding comes from what I've picked up on the internet. I'm a Computer Science student, economics don't appeal to me, but shouldn't they in Runescape? I should take the time to delve more into Runescape economics but I often feel that I don't have the sort of money pile for it to matter (generally around 2m) and, of course, what we say we should do and what we ACTUALLY do are often two very different things ;)

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users