The Profanity Filter

Blyaunte

Yeah, that's the problem.

Who's to define what "offensive" is? Some people think the F-word or [kitty] are offensive. How will Jagex differentiate between "bad words" and "offensive words"?

If the curses and slurs are aimed at you, it's offensive. Otherwise, who the hell cares?

"Go to hell!" is offensive.

"Oh hell no" isn't.

Funny -- I never considered "go to hell" to be offensive ... :unsure:

nyuseg.png

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by your behavior I see on these forums, you probably attract negative comments towards your person. You have this aura emanating from you that screams "I think I am better than all the people in the world, if you say anything I disagree with, you are wrong no matter what."

Not to mention you've done your fair share of assumptions on this thread, thus showing you yourself are incapable of overseeing someone's race or gender. That's discrimination in itself. Here, let me save you the time of typing this response out to me. Yes, I'm white, yes, I'm male, and yes, I'm young, 19 anyways. The difference is, I don't need to point out that yes, you're black, yes, you're female, and yes, you're older than I am, because frankly, I don't give a f***.

In shorty, drop the haughtiness, get that stick out of your ass, and maybe you won't receive as much negativity from kids on an online game who will troll anybody for any reason. By the way, did I mention..... they are KIDS.

You are my hero.

Back to the point, nothing has changed. You can continue to play with your filter on, not hearing anything anybody says, or still hearing the racist/derogatory comments you heard before. Report what you used to report. What used to be offensive is still offensive. However, if you cut your filter OFF, anything that WOULD have been starred out is not a reason for a report. I'm FAIRLY certain that's what was implied with the update.

Impressionable minds are going to run into bad language/racism/whatever. It's part of life. It's also a PARENT's job to make sure their kids aren't exposed to it. Jagex can't be held responsible for a parent's shortcomings. Don't want your kid being exposed to reality, don't let them play Runescape. It's as simple as that.

EDIT

gay looking white guy

...you are digging yourself into a hole.

:mellow: Hasn't the world been like this for awhile now? You're just experiencing this in an MMORPG? Why not just turn your chat off all-together, and if you let your children play this game then I assume they're over the age of 13 and know what the world is like and what racism and sexism is.

Low_C.png

Yeah, that's the problem.

Who's to define what "offensive" is? Some people think the F-word or [kitty] are offensive. How will Jagex differentiate between "bad words" and "offensive words"?

If the curses and slurs are aimed at you, it's offensive. Otherwise, who the hell cares?

"Go to hell!" is offensive.

"Oh hell no" isn't.

Funny -- I never considered "go to hell" to be offensive ... :unsure:

Yeah, that's another problem. What is or is not "offensive" is highly subjective.

It's better to just remove the ability to report someone for "offensive" language and just advise players to make use of the ignore list (and expand how many people can be on the ignore list at any one time) and to toggle the filter on if it gets too serious for them to cope with.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

With the profanity filter turned off, you will see exactly what other players type in their chat, warts and all. Note that, as you have made a concious choice to turn off your profanity filter, you should not report other players simply for using the odd bit of bad language. You can and should still report other players who are being discriminatory, bullying, threatening, lewd, salacious, soliciting, etc, regardless of whether or not they are using bad language! It may be worth familiarising yourself with our rules on innapropriate language and behaviour, but, basically, so long as you are responsible and respectful to other players, you have nothing to worry about.

source

Thank you Bladewing -- that clarifies things a lot.

:thumbup:

nyuseg.png

Judging by your behavior I see on these forums, you probably attract negative comments towards your person. You have this aura emanating from you that screams "I think I am better than all the people in the world, if you say anything I disagree with, you are wrong no matter what."

Not to mention you've done your fair share of assumptions on this thread, thus showing you yourself are incapable of overseeing someone's race or gender. That's discrimination in itself. Here, let me save you the time of typing this response out to me. Yes, I'm white, yes, I'm male, and yes, I'm young, 19 anyways. The difference is, I don't need to point out that yes, you're black, yes, you're female, and yes, you're older than I am, because frankly, I don't give a f***.

In shorty, drop the haughtiness, get that stick out of your ass, and maybe you won't receive as much negativity from kids on an online game who will troll anybody for any reason. By the way, did I mention..... they are KIDS.

Obvious troll is obvious ...

nyuseg.png

Your ignorance clouds your sense of reason. You bring it upon yourself. Others have agreed with me. You're fighting a losing argument. Let the thread die, you look like a fool.

"Impressionable minds are going to run into bad language/racism/whatever. It's part of life. It's also a PARENT's job to make sure their kids aren't exposed to it. Jagex can't be held responsible for a parent's shortcomings. Don't want your kid being exposed to reality, don't let them play Runescape. It's as simple as that."

Actually it should be every adult RS players' responsibility to provide the best gaming experience possible. In my mind, that experience would not include profanity.

Obviously kids will be exposed to that kind of stuff. Parents cannot stop it. Parents can, and should, try to reduce the amount of "negative" influences. The profanity filter helped do that.

Let's see..."Don't want your kid being exposed to reality, don't let them play Runescape." So if I don't want them exposed to reality, I shouldn't let them go the mall? The mall is "reality" right? I probably shouldn't let them go to school either (Hey! You kids might like that.) because school is reality.

Since we are talking about "reality" & school, could kids in school curse like sailors and get away with it? Probably not. Yes. I know. RS is not reality.....thankfully.

Lord_Porus.png

How did the situation change now that there is an option to turn off the filter? Saying offensive things is still against the rules.

If this is true then why is there a language filter in the first place now.

Because of the children?

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

I fail to see how this is even a topic to be honest. You don't like swearing? Turn the filter on. You don't like racism and sexism? You add those players to your ignore list, report them, and move on.(Also, avoiding being a hypocrite would help wonderfully with that part!) It is a game, plain and simple. It is no different than real life situations. There are people in the world who are racist and sexist, and no matter what you do they will stay that way. If you get upset about that, there's validity to your complaints and numerous legal ways to deal with that. This is a game. If you handle situations with immature kids on a computer game the same way you do with people in real life, then it's no wonder that you attract unwanted attention. Just ignore those people and everything's better! Hard to understand I know.

And also, since when did general discussion become personal life story telling time?

please reply to the fact that ive actually been punched twice and mugged by a gang of arabs cos im white.

My kids have been mugged by "Arabs" too ... :unsure:

also to the fact that you can jus change your character.

Yeah -- I tried that for a time -- but I came off as a gay looking white guy who sounds black ... <_<

or that ive never had any racist remarks an my characters been black for tiiiiiiiimme.

Then you're one of the very few ...

oh right you use skype or something, i dunno yeah fair enough then..

yeah to be fair i dont think i got mugged because im white lol.. but still man, you cant just say that because im white male and single i have no worries or problems. like i said youve got no problems compared to some people in the world (liek peeps dying of hunger), an i know plenty of white people with worries, fat people, skinny people, ginger people, ugly people all get majorly ripped on at school. the thing is most rs players are like year 7 - 9 age (like 11-14) and when ur that age u rip the piss out of everyone u can! they dont understand that its actually really hurtful or whatever. but u shud never be offended by an anonymous internet person. like i said there probally massive losers irl. i know i was when i was playing a lot at 13. if anyone ever takes the piss out of me i jus take solice in that, tho tbf since i started playing again im becoming a bit of loser aswell lool.

also hav u ever tried just saying like 'so'?

i mean i cant really imagine what kids are saying but im sure there not having a vengeful, full on hatefilled racist screwed up rant like a nazi might. im guessing they just shout harsh words they hear n laugh. they dont have anything to back up why they hate coloured people, which they hopefuly dont. id like to think theyd get stumped. anyway id jsu report them and get on with it, it only takes a min to report.

i gotta ask tho.. why are u playing rs if your like 30? and like i mean dont take it badly but isnt the time u spend on rs like time u dont spend with your kids?

anyways imo report people shouting racist stuff, dont report people who swear a bit but report people who swear offensivly and persistantly.

maybe jagex should post something about this on the frontpage..

Your ignorance clouds your sense of reason. You bring it upon yourself. Others have agreed with me. You're fighting a losing argument. Let the thread die, you look like a fool.

"People agree with me, therefore I must be right!" :rolleyes:

You don't play with me in-game -- you've no idea who I am or how I play in game. A message forum and on-line play are entirely two separate things.

You read only what you want to read and comprehend even less than that. If you've nothing to add to the discussion then there is nothing here for you to see. Stop being a haughty horse's backside and either contribute something valid or get off the thread.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people who are going to hurl racist and sexist insults in the game. You'd prefer to simply close your eyes and pretend it's not happening. That's not a solution that's ignoring the elephant in the room.

You're not part of the solution you're not offering a solution you're only compounding the problem with your ignorance.

nyuseg.png

"Let me guess - You're a white Male"

"Gay looking"

--

Don't [bleep] about people collectivizing all blacks and then turn around and collectivize other people yourself.

Out of context comments are out of context. Thanks for playing! :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

You don't play with me in-game -- you've no idea who I am or how I play in game. A message forum and on-line play are entirely two separate things.

You read only what you want to read and comprehend even less than that. If you've nothing to add to the discussion then there is nothing here for you to see. Stop being a haughty horse's backside and either contribute something valid or get off the thread.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people who are going to hurl racist and sexist insults in the game. You'd prefer to simply close your eyes and pretend it's not happening. That's not a solution that's ignoring the elephant in the room.

You're not part of the solution you're not offering a solution you're only compounding the problem with your ignorance.

The solution is obvious. Ignore them and report them, that's all that you can do. I don't know you, so I don't know if you know anything about the subject, but there is no way that JaGex can implement a racist and sexist filter, it's impossible. Certain racist words like the n word obviously, but if you get offended by comments like "Go make me a sammich" or "Get back in the kitchen" then you're out of luck if you expect anything from JaGex. It is simply implausible for something like that to happen. Just do your best by reporting them and ignoring them, that's all that you can do.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people who are going to hurl racist and sexist insults in the game. You'd prefer to simply close your eyes and pretend it's not happening. That's not a solution – that's ignoring the elephant in the room.

You're not part of the solution – you're not offering a solution – you're only compounding the problem with your ignorance.

"I hate being generalized, but I will happily generalize those who criticize my argument that has more holes in it than swiss cheese!" rolleyes.gif

I don't need to play with you in game to know exactly that type of person you are. You're a choleric, and you think you command authority and demand respect wherever you roam. If you act completely different in game than you do on a forum, you may suffer from MPD, or stupidity. Probably the latter. You've made a pointless thread and it's life has been extended far beyond it's usefulness (none), so for that I applaud you. I have contributed something, it just happens to be something you disagree with. See my original statement, please.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people like you who would prefer to simply close their eyes and cover their ears and pretend that your one stand against the evils of the world is going to make any real change at all. It's not happening. There is no solution. There will always be racism, there will always be sexism, there will always be discrimination. Why? Because there will always be people different from each other.

It's those who can acknowledge this simple to grasp concept that can move on with their lives without losing too much sleep because a Teenager called them something mean.

You are the problem.

So if I don't want them exposed to reality, I shouldn't let them go the mall? The mall is "reality" right? I probably shouldn't let them go to school either (Hey! You kids might like that.) because school is reality.

Since we are talking about "reality" & school, could kids in school curse like sailors and get away with it? Probably not. Yes. I know. RS is not reality.....thankfully.

I'm almost certain you missed my point. There's no profanity filter at a mall, nor is there one in public schools. Sure, teachers will punish you if you curse, but most middle/high schoolers know how to curse without a teacher hearing it. Been there, done that.

Actually it should be every adult RS players' responsibility to provide the best gaming experience possible. In my mind, that experience would not include profanity.

If I'm sitting with a group of my peers in public, profanity will most likely be involved by SOMEONE. How often will an adult care if a kid accidentally heard them say something vulgar to another adult? Rarely.

It's no different if I'm in a group of my peers in a video game. I'm going to communicate like I do in real life. If someone hears it and gets offended, it's their fault for not using the filter. The default for the filter is ON. If you cut it off, there's a high chance you know what you're getting yourself into.

The fact is, and remains, that there are people who are going to hurl racist and sexist insults in the game.

Your point? There are racists and sexists in the real world, but you don't cry to the government for not putting them in front of a firing squad for having opinions, do you? I'm not saying it's right, but everybody is entitled to an opinion. There is no elephant in this room, just oversensitive people who get gratification from whining.

Out of context comments are out of context. Thanks for playing! :rolleyes:

"Gay looking" implies that "gay" is derogatory. Context or no, hate is hate. Read what you type, for the love of my sanity...

I am SO terribly sorry for the length of this post, but ignorant people get me worked up.

"I hate being generalized, but I will happily generalize those who criticize my argument that has more holes than swiss cheese!" rolleyes.gif

I don't need to play with you in game to know exactly that type of person you are. You're a choleric, and you think you command authority and demand respect wherever you roam. If you act completely different in game than you do on a forum, you may suffer from MPD, or stupidity. Probably the latter. You've made a pointless thread and it's life has been extended far beyond it's usefulness (none), so for that I applaud you. I have contributed something, it just happens to be something you disagree with. See my original statement, please.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people like you who would prefer to simply close their eyes and cover their ears and pretend that your one stand against the evils of the world is going to make any real change at all. It's not happening. There is no solution. There will always be racism, there will always be sexism, there will always be discrimination. Why? Because there will always be people different from each other.

It's those who can acknowledge this simple to grasp concept that can move on with their lives without losing too much sleep because a Teenager called them something mean.

You are the problem.

So -- tell me -- when are you going to get your head out of your ass and realize that the problem *I* am talking about isn't about *me*, but rather the examples being set for other (impressionable) players who turn the filters on/off and see people making derogatory racist and sexist remarks?

Realization sets in -- in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

"Gay looking" implies that "gay" is derogatory. Context or no, hate is hate. Read what you type, for the love of my sanity...

LOL! Sorry! My bad! "Gay looking" is a man who dresses well ...

OMG!

:lol:

nyuseg.png

"I hate being generalized, but I will happily generalize those who criticize my argument that has more holes than swiss cheese!" rolleyes.gif

You are the problem.

So -- tell me -- when are you going to get your head out of your ass and realize that the problem *I* am talking about isn't about *me*, but rather the examples being set for other (impressionable) players who turn the filters on/off and see people making derogatory racist and sexist remarks?

Realization sets in -- in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... :rolleyes:

On the contrary, it is about you, because any sensible, no, not even -- any intelligent person would make the obvious choice and ignore the person, report them, and move on. Last I checked, the only thing that has changed is the ability to visually see the obscenities now. Yet, before today, I heard not a peep from you. And, to also mention, no one else seems to be whining to such a degree that you are.

I would say "Realization sets in -- in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... rolleyes.gif", but sweetheart, you're obviously too self-absorbed and caught up in your own little world to care about reality.

OP is just looking for attention and an outlet for whining. No further explanation needed.

In short, drop the haughtiness, get that stick out of your ass, and maybe you won't receive as much negativity from kids on an online game who will troll anybody for any reason. By the way, did I mention..... they are KIDS.

Think this pretty much sums it up. LOL

The runescape I play must be *vastly* different to the runescape you play because - I don't see the sexism and racism people claim that jumps out at every corner.

I pk and hang out in the more "vile" parts of the game too.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln