Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Profanity Filter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
180 replies to this topic

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Blyaunte

Posted Image

Considering that the new "Profanity" filter is going into effect today, I'd appreciate some comments from those of you here, in particular but not limited to those of you who are currently moderators, as to what course of action I should take with respect to the situations that will arise now that Jagex has removed the only filter that some players ever had.

As a woman, and in particular a woman of colour, I tend to draw certain unwanted comments aimed at me which are directed at both my gender and my race.

Prior to the invention of this new filter – certain individuals (who are now and shall remain on my ignore list) have always managed to find ways to circumvent the filter and make sexist, sexually degrading and racially oriented remarks towards me.

Yes, I realize that *that* is what the "filter" and the "ignore" button are all about. <.<

Nonetheless, this new "Profanity" filter is going to very likely open an entirely new "can of worms". If I toggle the Profanity filter off, I suspect that the filter will"star out" the likely racially derogatory and sexist remarks which could possibly be aimed at me.

If I toggle the filter on, then the sexist, sexually degrading and racist remarks will likely "show up" in the chat.

Question:

Should I even bother to report it?

nyuseg.png

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It
While profanity is allowed... racism and sexism is not. Report away, I will still continue to...

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

guitar_god_2007
[ Display Name History ]

guitar_god_2007

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 822 posts
  • RSN:Koolcookie0
I shall always leave my filter off, i would rather see what people say to me, about me or around me. I know there are words that get censored out that are not of a bad nature but can seem wrong. So i'd rather see what they were saying.

In my opinion being able to use words you hear in day to day life (for most of us) on a teenage+ based game will always seem handy. But saying that i shall still report/Ignore/printscreen for mod if anything over the top is said. Already today i have seen people having very explicit convocation at the grand exchange (i.e hearing what they would do to each other) that i would never like to see or hear again. Them i reported.

I see it like this, if it truly offends you then use the report abuse button and ignore list. If not and just slightly winds you up leave the player(s) on your ignore for up to 24 hours, and delete after. 9 times out of 10 the people who are very vocal with there language are player that never stick to one world. So chances are you would never see again.

These are just my thoughts, I know others feel strongly with there views and i'd never say they were wrong.
Posted Image
Goals: 15m Slayer xp | 85 Herblore | 75+ All Stats | Chaotic Rapier | 125k/200k Tokens

SirTommy2005
[ Display Name History ]

SirTommy2005

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 751 posts
  • RSN:AshigaruUlan
  • RSN2:Sirtommy2005
  • Clan:Hell Tonic
You already know its coming to you, whats the difference of seeing it.

Noxx
[ Display Name History ]

Noxx

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RSN:Nox
If you take anything said over the internet (and especially on a game) personally then LOL.
Really? They are probably ignorant 13 year olds. I really can't beleive anyone would take something like that to heart.

Overdoziz
[ Display Name History ]

Overdoziz

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Don't like 'bad' words? Turn the filter on.
You don't mind? Turn it off.
Report people who are offensive.

/thread

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts

If you take anything said over the internet (and especially on a game) personally then LOL.
Really? They are probably ignorant 13 year olds. I really can't beleive anyone would take something like that to heart.

Blyaunte is far from 1 3 year ol;d pfft!

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Freakyhair
[ Display Name History ]

Freakyhair

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 524 posts
are you saying your a coloured woman in real life and that you emulate this when playing runescape? why are you a man in your signature that is white.. edit (your not lol)
i didnt even know people are racist towards characters in game lol! im not black irl but my char is cos it looks cool with bandos, but ive never had any racist comments lol!
surely unless your going round saying 'ohh im a coloured woman irl' you wont get abuse, and abuse for being a woman?? wtf!!! ive been a woman char aswell and id say i was a girl to anyone who asks, (made like 30m off it rofl), n i never got abuse for being a woman lol! like i always assume that girl characters are guys irl, because thats usually the way.

i honestly cant beleive that you get sexist racist commments lol!! anyway if thats an issue change your character, its not meant to look liek you irl. the whole point of this game is role playing, be whoever looks cool.

im actually laughing so hard at the thought of racism in rs. its kind of your own fault, u must declare your coloured because never have i had a conversation were people ask what colour u are, maybe what country u come from, but im educated guessing u dont come from africa. (i mean its harsh thers racism yeah, but i dont even no why u care its just 13 years olds.. everyones racist an homophbic and ginger hating etc at that age..

i think this is a wicked update, i hate not being able to swear or say feltching ROFL!
i dont see why u shud be able to report people for what they say anyway, unless they admit to botting or rw trading, u cant report people in real life that say stuff u dont like, and u cant put them on the ignore list either.

basically, id say suck it up if this update bothers u.

it actually makes people who dont wanna see swearing, less likely to..

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Let me guess -- you're a white male, with no children ...

nyuseg.png

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts

/thread

Bad words can be used legitimately. Why should I turn on a filter which not only blocks "bad" words used in context but also regular dictionary words just because they or a part of it looks/sound like a possible swear? I stand by that the main 4 letter swear should still be blocked.

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

ReapMe
[ Display Name History ]

ReapMe

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • RSN:M-Theory11
  • RSN2:Apathetic
I've been dropping f bombs on every noob I see.
What?

Posted Image

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

are you saying your a coloured woman in real life and that you emulate this when playing runescape? why are you a man in your signature that is white..

I think someone needs glasses ... :unsure:

My previous signature was this:

Posted Image

Prior to that it was:

Posted Image

nyuseg.png

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze

/thread

Bad words can be used legitimately. Why should I turn on a filter which not only blocks "bad" words used in context but also regular dictionary words just because they or a part of it looks/sound like a possible swear? I stand by that the main 4 letter swear should still be blocked.

then leave your filter on

ain't hard, folks.

Freakyhair
[ Display Name History ]

Freakyhair

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 524 posts

lol what if i get abuse for being british eh? i dont care, surely you know people are racist. hells man, jus cos im white doesnt mean i dont get racism aswell. it happens, some people care about what colour u are, who cares. same goes for rippinmg on women, man that is AGGGE old, if you cant take that then fair..

anyway like i said, if it bothers u then either turn the filter off or change ur character.

also, surely even if u hav the filter on youll still see the insults, u just wont no excactly what theyre saying lol. but i stil dont beleive that you get that mucha buse, cos, like i said, ive been a black woman char and never had anything at all.

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

/thread

then leave your filter on

ain't hard, folks.

The question isn't whether or not to leave the filter on/off -- the question is whether or not I should report someone for saying: "[Perform a sexually degrading act on me, you female individual product of inter-racial heritage] ..."
<_<

nyuseg.png

Freakyhair
[ Display Name History ]

Freakyhair

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 524 posts

I've been dropping f bombs on every noob I see.

yeah i just edited that lol!

but can u reply to the rest of what is said please, because i am properlly confused. :)

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts
  • RSN:Dark Dude
If someone posts something offensive (not just swear words) then you can report it as you used to be able to. Nothing has changed there.

Also, for someone who doesn't like receiving abuse based on sex and race you sure do like stereotyping people, hypocritical much?

Noxx
[ Display Name History ]

Noxx

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RSN:Nox

Can't see how me having or not having children has anything to do with this, but alright. But you would be spot on. I might however add that i a South African and soon as people ask me where i am from my aswer is responded to with "OMFG you're AFRICAN?" Yeah it's annoying that people think there are only black people in Africa. But at the end of the day, you are black, i am white, and kids are [bleep]ed up. You really should not be taking things seriously. I can't understand why you would (unless you're shy of who you are).

guitar_god_2007
[ Display Name History ]

guitar_god_2007

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 822 posts
  • RSN:Koolcookie0
Freakyhair

I know this wasn't aimed at me in any way shape or form, however i did want to pull you up on a few things...
1 - You can clearly see in the signature its a black female
2 - What if she feels strongly about her color of skin and sexuality, and wanted to show it in Rs?? "be whoever looks cool" you said? how do you know she doesn't find that Cool?
3 - I'm sure you know full well that Africa is not the only place that people with different color skins are from? I'm sure you Educated enough to realize that no matter where you are in the world you will never find a country with simply one color, one race or one ethnicity.
4 - And as for examples you used in relevant's to real life, you can get arrested and charged for offensive and racist remarks. So in a sense u can report them. Just with a phone and not with a big red button.
Posted Image
Goals: 15m Slayer xp | 85 Herblore | 75+ All Stats | Chaotic Rapier | 125k/200k Tokens

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze
sexism and racism, or discrimination of any kind are not allowed

so yes you can report them

however i wouldn't waste my time if i were in your shoes

0 user(s) are reading this topic