The Profanity Filter

Blyaunte

Something I don't think I have seen mentioned:

A lot of the "discussion" has been centered around "turn your filter on & you won't have to see the remarks". Obviously this is correct. But what about all the young, impressionable kids who will have their filters turned off and will see the offensive remarks? It is just not the recipients of the offensive remarks who would be effected.

Lord_Porus.png

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the "discussion" has been centered around "turn your filter on & you won't have to see the remarks". Obviously this is correct. But what about all the young, impressionable kids who will have their filters turned off and will see the offensive remarks? It is just not the recipients of the offensive remarks who would be effected.

Jagex could have it so those that are required to have quick-chat (is it under 13 year olds?) can't turn the filter off. Over 13s will have heard it all before anyway, it's their parents responsibility to monitor what they do on the internet so I don't think it's Jagex problem.

I guess the full blown racism you are describing would come from a learned experience.

So, if people "learn" racism (as well as possibly inherit some aspects of it), then why would anyone allow such acts to go unchallenged when it is within their power to affect change?

Do you honestly think that people should be allowed to make such degrading remarks about other people in front of impressionable minds and, therefore, continue the pattern of behaviour?

@blyaunte: I swear, you remind me of amitoz. The question you're asking is nature or nurture, and the answer is never one or the other, but rather a mix of both.

I agree but then, how does one "counter" racism? Do we sit idly by and just allow it to happen because "it's just a game"?

i think other people do everything because of seeing other people doing it.

Then if we allow people to continue making racist remarks unchallenged, do you not by your silence condone their racism?

Blyaunte if I was you I would leave the filter to do its job and report any player that offends you. If you wanted to go further you could set public chat to friends as well as private. The measures are there, and have always been there, to help you.

That is the problem though. The filter is, technically, there to protect *my* sensibilities but what about the sensibilities of other impressionable people?

nyuseg.png

*ding ding ding*

nyuseg.png

If people are using offensive language REPORT them. That's what you can do about it. If children as saying such language on here then that's the parents responsibility and if the parents are worried then they should monitor what their children are doing. Games are not there to babysit children, same with any other form of entertainment.

I guess the full blown racism you are describing would come from a learned experience.

So, if people "learn" racism (as well as possibly inherit some aspects of it), then why would anyone allow such acts to go unchallenged when it is within their power to affect change?

Do you honestly think that people should be allowed to make such degrading remarks about other people in front of impressionable minds and, therefore, continue the pattern of behaviour?

@blyaunte: I swear, you remind me of amitoz. The question you're asking is nature or nurture, and the answer is never one or the other, but rather a mix of both.

I agree but then, how does one "counter" racism? Do we sit idly by and just allow it to happen because "it's just a game"?

i think other people do everything because of seeing other people doing it.

Then if we allow people to continue making racist remarks unchallenged, do you not by your silence condone their racism?

Blyaunte if I was you I would leave the filter to do its job and report any player that offends you. If you wanted to go further you could set public chat to friends as well as private. The measures are there, and have always been there, to help you.

That is the problem though. The filter is, technically, there to protect *my* sensibilities but what about the sensibilities of other impressionable people?

yeah i thought that for a while, i remember going on a carnival video on youtube and it was full of [bleep]ed up comments!! so i replied to everyone and got flame or no response and figured, hell man its the internet. if someone is racist in real life then ill [bleep]ing start on them, have done, will do.

but rs is a land of nerds an social outcasts, dooo not care what goes on. even if all of rs became horribly racist it wouldnt impact on real life.

please reply to the fact that ive actually been punched twice and mugged by a gang of arabs cos im white.

becuse u made a horrible generalisation in assuming ive never got [cabbage] cos im white.

also to the fact that you can jus change your character.

or that ive never had any racist remarks an my characters been black for tiiiiiiiimme.

If people are using offensive language REPORT them. That's what you can do about it. If children as saying such language on here then that's the parents responsibility and if the parents are worried then they should monitor what their children are doing. Games are not there to babysit children, same with any other form of entertainment.

This is, of course, not a cue to be disrespectful of or towards your fellow players, as all RuneScape rules still apply. If you find swearing offensive, please do leave the profanity filter on. Equally, please do not try to circumvent the filter. Also, even turned off, we will still be filtering out URLs (though we have plans to add a whitelist of 'safe' sites), and any chat that contains your password will still be completely blocked.

So how exactly does Jagex define "disrespectful?"

Also what's to stop people turning their filters off and reporting anyone who swears?

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

This is, of course, not a cue to be disrespectful of or towards your fellow players, as all RuneScape rules still apply. If you find swearing offensive, please do leave the profanity filter on. Equally, please do not try to circumvent the filter. Also, even turned off, we will still be filtering out URLs (though we have plans to add a whitelist of 'safe' sites), and any chat that contains your password will still be completely blocked.

Also what's to stop people turning their filters off and reporting anyone who swears?

Nothing, just like nothing that could be done if people reported people for doing it before the update. If someone is making racist or seriously offensive comments then report them, just as you would have done before this update.

inb4 people get banned for swearing, but not in an offensive way.

That said, I totally agree that this is a great update, and have been wanting it for years.

I'm just concerned that people are going to turn their filter off, and then start reporting everyone they see using a word that would normally get blocked. Knowing Jagex... there will be a lack of communication to the team that looks are reports, and people will start getting muted all over for no real reason.

Filter is automatically on. They'll have to manually disable it. As to that, it's up to the parents' discretion to decide for their child. Not you, not me, not anyone else. Unless Jagex wants to redirect things back on an elementary school level of security.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Nothing, just like nothing that could be done if people reported people for doing it before the update. If someone is making racist or seriously offensive comments then report them, just as you would have done before this update.

Before the update if you just said "[racist term]" it would show up in chat as "******". You couldn't get reported since there was no way to prove that you said a racial slur.

Now you can say "[racist term]" and it shows up as "[racist term]", thus you get reported.

SWAG

Before the update if you just said "[racist term]" it would show up in chat as "******".

Now you can say "[racist term]" and it shows up as "[racist term]", thus you get reported.

surely not if there your mate..

its like if you say [bleep]ing hell that was mad and someone reported you then you wouldn't be banned :)

blyaunte - please reply to me this is doing my head in, i hate haivng a one way argument/ conversation wateva..

x

Moreover, what about terms like "[racist term]" or when people use "[racist term]" in a non-racist way? On the Internet many people call each other that in order to mean "bro", regardless of skin color.

Also, also, what about obscure slurs? Hmm?

Babuska

Nignog

Harborbomber

How will Jagex know all of these slurs?

SWAG

With the profanity filter turned off, you will see exactly what other players type in their chat, warts and all. Note that, as you have made a concious choice to turn off your profanity filter, you should not report other players simply for using the odd bit of bad language. You can and should still report other players who are being discriminatory, bullying, threatening, lewd, salacious, soliciting, etc, regardless of whether or not they are using bad language! It may be worth familiarising yourself with our rules on innapropriate language and behaviour, but, basically, so long as you are responsible and respectful to other players, you have nothing to worry about.

source

Yeah, that's the problem.

Who's to define what "offensive" is? Some people think the F-word or [kitty] are offensive. How will Jagex differentiate between "bad words" and "offensive words"?

SWAG

Yeah, that's the problem.

Who's to define what "offensive" is? Some people think the F-word or [kitty] are offensive. How will Jagex differentiate between "bad words" and "offensive words"?

If the curses and slurs are aimed at you, it's offensive. Otherwise, who the hell cares?

"Go to hell!" is offensive.

"Oh hell no" isn't.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Judging by your behavior I see on these forums, you probably attract negative comments towards your person. You have this aura emanating from you that screams "I think I am better than all the people in the world, if you say anything I disagree with, you are wrong no matter what."

Not to mention you've done your fair share of assumptions on this thread, thus showing you yourself are incapable of overseeing someone's race or gender. That's discrimination in itself. Here, let me save you the time of typing this response out to me. Yes, I'm white, yes, I'm male, and yes, I'm young, 19 anyways. The difference is, I don't need to point out that yes, you're black, yes, you're female, and yes, you're older than I am, because frankly, I don't give a f***.

In short, drop the haughtiness, get that stick out of your ass, and maybe you won't receive as much negativity from kids on an online game who will troll anybody for any reason. By the way, did I mention..... they are KIDS.

Judging by your behavior I see on these forums, you probably attract negative comments towards your person. You have this aura emanating from you that screams "I think I am better than all the people in the world, if you say anything I disagree with, you are wrong no matter what."

Not to mention you've done your fair share of assumptions on this thread, thus showing you yourself are incapable of overseeing someone's race or gender. That's discrimination in itself. Here, let me save you the time of typing this response out to me. Yes, I'm white, yes, I'm male, and yes, I'm young, 19 anyways. The difference is, I don't need to point out that yes, you're black, yes, you're female, and yes, you're older than I am, because frankly, I don't give a f***.

In shorty, drop the haughtiness, get that stick out of your ass, and maybe you won't receive as much negativity from kids on an online game who will troll anybody for any reason. By the way, did I mention..... they are KIDS.

INNIT!

ive been a black female character and noone has out of the blue assumed that im a girl or black irl, and never had any flame.

she must be jumping at the chance to say personal things becasue i cant see how it would come up otherwise./

please reply to the fact that ive actually been punched twice and mugged by a gang of arabs cos im white.

My kids have been mugged by "Arabs" too ... :unsure:

also to the fact that you can jus change your character.

Yeah -- I tried that for a time -- but I came off as a gay looking white guy who sounds black ... <_<

or that ive never had any racist remarks an my characters been black for tiiiiiiiimme.

Then you're one of the very few ...

nyuseg.png