Giant Earthquake hits Japan

pennywise

I;m sorry but Nagasaki and Hiroshima were more than enough 'karma' for pearl harbour. Do you know what I hate about America, this weird national psyche about national security. America has done a million things worse than any country has done to America. But hardly any Americans seem to see it that way, I've only met around 20-30 americans in my time. But almost all of them had that opinion. Not saying I didn't like them, but in that regards I definately didn't.

how many of you americans know what you did to Laos after the vietnam war?

my thoughts are with the Japanese, it's scary how many big earthquaekes have been occuring recently.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting some of us are more interested in the people who believe the Japanese deserved this tragedy then the actual quake and potential danger these Nuclear reactors have if they fully meltdown. It's really scary to think about on both a local and global scale.

Even with a complete meltdown of the reactor core, there shouldn't be a problem. Modern nuclear reactors are built with a containment building that will stop major radiation leaks into the environment.

The reactor situation has been blown out of proportion.

I find it interesting some of us are more interested in the people who believe the Japanese deserved this tragedy then the actual quake and potential danger these Nuclear reactors have if they fully meltdown. It's really scary to think about on both a local and global scale.

Well, this is a forum, so we're more equipped to deal with dodgy opinions than dodgy nuclear reactors. Still, I've never actually seen a post from someone that this was 'payback for pearl harbour', past easily fakable images of Facebook posts, so I doubt it's as widespread as people claim it to be.

Hang on, wasn't Pearl Harbour, like, 70 years ago? How on earth can you 'forgive' someone when you don't even remember it? If these posts are actually true, this is a fine example of why you should not teach patriotism to children. dry.gif

EDIT: Also, it amuses me when they say that the dust cloud from the explosion is 'radioactive' but not to the extent that it could harm humans. I wonder if they know that pretty much everything on earth is radioactive but not to the extent that it can harm humans?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Even with a complete meltdown of the reactor core, there shouldn't be a problem. Modern nuclear reactors are built with a containment building that will stop major radiation leaks into the environment.

The reactor situation has been blown out of proportion.

I do know that reactors are some of the newest and safest but that still doesn't reinsure me that everything is going to be alright if they do in fact meltdown. I will admit most my fear for the situation came after listening to a claimed expert on one of those news shows on MSNBC, but I do not think the situation should be taken lightly.

tFtfA.jpg

It's a tragedy no matter what way you look at it.

The before and after picutres of the affected areas were pretty astounding. I was reading in the paper about a town with a population of 17,000 which has around 10,000 people missing/confirmed dead. Awful.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I thought the payback was Hiroshima...

Also I was at work, and this customer said to her husband "did you hear about that earthquake in China?" :wall: :wall:

Well, there was an earthquake in China recently (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2011-03/10/c_13770972.htm)... It's just not getting as much coverage as the Japan one. Although it's more plausible that she was mistaken.

miriam20110313173735013.jpg

The Shinmoedake volcano on Japan's Kyushu island, after lying dormant for a couple of weeks, resumes activity in a blast heard miles away. It was unclear if the eruption was linked to Friday's massive earthquake in the north.

Sunday's eruption, which was the biggest volcanic activity in Shinmoedake in 52 years, caused widespread destruction and panic. The blast could be heard for miles, and shattered windows four miles away, the BBC reported. Hundreds of people fled the area as the volcano spewed debris, including hot ash and rocks, more than 6,000 feet in the air, according to BBC reports.

http://www.latimes.c...0,2486939.story

Nature is hating Japan right now. :(

vizardsig-1.png

It's a tragedy no matter what way you look at it.

The before and after picutres of the affected areas were pretty astounding. I was reading in the paper about a town with a population of 17,000 which has around 10,000 people missing/confirmed dead. Awful.

This is interesting to think about. Assume an area is completely wiped out population wise but some or most of the architecture is still standing. What do they do? Do they bulldoze it all and try to repopulate it or do they just say "[bleep] it" and leave it as is?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

2012? :ohnoes:

That's what I thought. Seems Earthquakes, floods, and just about every natural disaster is going to end us. Starting with New Orleans, Haiti, and Japan.

2012? :ohnoes:

That's what I thought. Seems Earthquakes, floods, and just about every natural disaster is going to end us. Starting with New Orleans, Haiti, and Japan.

and Chile, China, New Zealand and I think Tunisia? In the last year. and 2 tsunamis for indonesia, they've had 8(i think) in the last, since boxing day one. Also if you've forgotten the flood in Australia, Pakistan and china again.

Going a little off topic here just because it bugs me. The 2012 thing is such a myth and the joke is wearing real thing. The Mayan calendar was cyclical, in that it ran in set cycles. Much like we replace our calendars every 12 months, and will replace ours on Jan 1st next year, their ended in 2012 and if their civilisation had survived, would have replaced theirs next year, whichever day it ends on. If the world was to end, their calendar would actually say it as it often did with many disasters which they based many things on.

@Lenin, that's a real interesting question. Probably depends how much damage and how the population was removed.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Going a little off topic here just because it bugs me. The 2012 thing is such a myth and the joke is wearing real thing. The Mayan calendar was cyclical, in that it ran in set cycles. Much like we replace our calendars every 12 months, and will replace ours on Jan 1st next year, their ended in 2012 and if their civilisation had survived, would have replaced theirs next year, whichever day it ends on. If the world was to end, their calendar would actually say it as it often did with many disasters which they based many things on.

@Lenin, that's a real interesting question. Probably depends how much damage and how the population was removed.

don't act like you know a lot about something when you dont :shame:

i watched a lame youtube video and got obsessed for like a week a few years back lol.

mayan calenders the popular way of presenting it.

what the calander is based on (i think) is the cycles of our earth and other planets alignment in the universe. 2012 is the date when the planets and sun line up with the black hole in the centre of the universe (i think), its definately when all of our planets and sun are aligned. in fact its the first time in 26000 years. its also around the time that this cataclysmic solar storm is predicted, as well as being around the time our poles are due to shift. its very possible that some crazy thing is going to happen that we have no clue about because it hasn't happened in recorded history.

there are a load of other things ill try and remember, like famous prophets (which i dont really believe)..

i dont think the world gunnaa blow up, i definately dont think we're gunna be wiped out. im not really sure if anythings going to happen, but it easily could.

but yeah dont just brush it off as a myth when you don't know what the calender is based on. its just as annoying as people who state 2012 as fact.

I find it interesting though. Trade center attacks- september 11th, japan earthquake- march 11th, and iirc the haiti disaster also happened on an 11th. As for 2012, it's highly unlikely that a much gossiped event will happen. Y2k didn't happen, neither did the much anticipated 'revolutionary runescape smithing update'. Anyways, this is highly off topic. To close, everyone should donate to help japan. They've always helped the UN during world disasters (namely haiti/9-11, donating 2.8mil and 84mil respectively).

div>

I find it interesting though. Trade center attacks- september 11th, japan earthquake- march 11th, and iirc the haiti disaster also happened on an 11th. As for 2012, it's highly unlikely that a much gossiped event will happen. Y2k didn't happen, neither did the much anticipated 'revolutionary runescape smithing update'. Anyways, this is highly off topic. To close, everyone should donate to help japan. They've always helped the UN during world disasters (namely haiti/9-11, donating 2.8mil and 84mil respectively).

lol!

this is the offtopic forums to be fair :rolleyes:

y2k was different aswell, and some stuff did happen. all of the london busses had to get new ticket machines lol!

84milllion was donated for 9/11 as opposed to 2.8m for haiti? or did u get that the wrong way round? i hope so because otherwise it just shows that 1st world lives have priority by an astonishing rate.

im suprised i havnt heard of many appeals yet?

i watched a lame youtube video and got obsessed for like a week a few years back lol.

what the calander is based on (i think) is the cycles of our earth and other planets alignment in the universe. 2012 is the date when the planets and sun line up with the black hole in the centre of the universe (i think), its definately when all of our planets and sun are aligned. in fact its the first time in 26000 years. its also around the time that this cataclysmic solar storm is predicted, as well as being around the time our poles are due to shift. its very possible that some crazy thing is going to happen that we have no clue about because it hasn't happened in recorded history.

there are a load of other things ill try and remember, like famous prophets (which i dont really believe)..

i dont think the world gunnaa blow up, i definately dont think we're gunna be wiped out. im not really sure if anythings going to happen, but it easily could.

but yeah dont just brush it off as a myth when you don't know what the calender is based on. its just as annoying as people who state 2012 as fact.

Sorry, but please don't act as if you know what you are talking about when you have watched a little youtube video or looked at some internet sources. When I have done a year long module on Mayans and Classic Central Mexican civilisations with lectures specifically on the calendar, number systems and their relations to mythologies for my degree, I actually do know what I'm talking about. The Mayans did not predict the world would end in 2012, FACT. Things may happen in 2012, just as any other year interesting things happen.

but yeah, don't act as if you know what you're talking about.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

@freakyhair: I'm not making it up. Haiti only received 49.2m total, and roughly a third of that came from the canadians and the british/swiss. Americans in total received roughly 2.8billion, with a b! Roughly half of the received cash went toward the initial middle east invasion, and since then, many 'eastern countries' (namely japan/china) have been stingey with their donations, not wanting to have the same result. Gossiped events rarely come true, mind you due to global warming/american invasions, the apocalypse could easily occur in 2112...

div>

Sorry, but please don't act as if you know what you are talking about when you have watched a little youtube video or looked at some internet sources. When I have done a year long module on Mayans and Classic Central Mexican civilisations with lectures specifically on the calendar, number systems and their relations to mythologies for my degree, I actually do know what I'm talking about. The Mayans did not predict the world would end in 2012, FACT. Things may happen in 2012, just as any other year interesting things happen.

i know i dont know what im talking about, thats why i keep saying i think, i also know that the mayans didnt predict the end of the world. never said i thought they did. as i said the calenders just a popular way of presenting it. it is true that all our planets are going to be aligned for the first time in 26000 years. FACT.

lol i never said you don't know the specifics of the mayan calender(actually i did) i didnt mean it like that tho. did they teach you about the alignment of planets and eliptical spheres and all that crap im not gunna pretend to understand, because thats what really matters. and you obviously dont know very much about it other than mayan calenders., to just wipe off as a myth based purely on the fact that the mayan calender doesnt predict it.

also i swear theres been a massive problem with deciphering anything to do with the mayans. im not 100% sure but i remember reading it somewhere.

and reading internet sources can be just as good as reading a book. knowledge is knowledge in whatever format :thumbsup:

@freakyhair: I'm not making it up. Haiti only received 49.2m total, and roughly a third of that came from the canadians and the british/swiss. Americans in total received roughly 2.8billion, with a b! Roughly half of the received cash went toward the initial middle east invasion, and since then, many 'eastern countries' (namely japan/china) have been stingey with their donations, not wanting to have the same result. Gossiped events rarely come true, mind you due to global warming/american invasions, the apocalypse could easily occur in 2112...

Dang! thats nuts. Im srry but 3000 people died on 9/11. i dont get why everyones still going on about it. hiroshima and nagasaki were much worse acts of terrorism. ive got pretty extreme views on this kinda stuff though so i probally shouldn't get into it..

its be interesting to see the ammount of aid japan gets, im going to guess quite a lot though,..

They've already received quite a lot. China is the current leader in donations, sending over roughly 30,000 people, and roughly half their army to help with evac. Canada's sent over half our army too, and americans have sent over a whopping 250 people! As for charity, china, canada, and sweden have all donated roughly 5mil (currently 28m in donations so far). Kinda scary though if you read certain news reports, apparently iran mobilized 45000 troops. Should be interesting should iran dec war, especially now with all this occurring.

div>

They've already received quite a lot. China is the current leader in donations, sending over roughly 30,000 people, and roughly half their army to help with evac. Canada's sent over half our army too, and americans have sent over a whopping 250 people! As for charity, china, canada, and sweden have all donated roughly 5mil (currently 28m in donations so far). Kinda scary though if you read certain news reports, apparently iran mobilized 45000 troops. Should be interesting should iran dec war, especially now with all this occurring.

pah we need these middle east revolutions to come through and sort out all these mad dictators. same with china and russia. and any country with a dictator. if that happened id be chill about another big war until food starts to run out. which hopefully well start high rise gm farms before then

[hide]

[/hide]

i know i dont know what im talking about, thats why i keep saying i think, i also know that the mayans didnt predict the end of the world. never said i thought they did. as i said the calenders just a popular way of presenting it. it is true that all our planets are going to be aligned for the first time in 26000 years. FACT.

lol i never said you don't know the specifics of the mayan calender(actually i did) i didnt mean it like that tho. did they teach you about the alignment of planets and eliptical spheres and all that crap im not gunna pretend to understand, because thats what really matters. and you obviously dont know very much about it other than mayan calenders., to just wipe off as a myth based purely on the fact that the mayan calender doesnt predict it.

also i swear theres been a massive problem with deciphering anything to do with the mayans. im not 100% sure but i remember reading it somewhere.

and reading internet sources can be just as good as reading a book. knowledge is knowledge in whatever format :thumbsup:

What on earth are you trying to say then? And could you please capitalise your sentences, it's a pain to read. Can't we leave the 2012 stuff until next year?

Have you guys heard about those people who are blocking off nuclear power plants in Germany that need work to have their lives extended, because they say that the Japanese plants are 'proof' that nuclear power is too risky and uncontrollable? I have a special place in my heart for the Greens. It's next to chavs and Sarah Palin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-12724981

~ W ~

sigzi.png

That basically just destroyed whatever little faith in humanity I had left...

I hope you just mean it destroyed your faith in the US. There's still hope elsewhere.

Really I find this pretty interesting... Pearl Harbor, a military action, warrants a disaster killing thousands of innocent citizens who had no relation to WWII at all? Was directly nuking their citizens not enough? I remember watching a video about the guy who dropped one of the bombs, and he made sure to get the point across that he didn't feel any sort of human empathy whatsoever ("I just pressed the button and took a bite out of my sandwich, and went on my day."). It's quite literally the "Don't care unless it's me," mentality, a sickly widespread disease I see throughout my country time and time again.