Giant Earthquake hits Japan

pennywise

That basically just destroyed whatever little faith in humanity I had left...

I hope you just mean it destroyed your faith in the US. There's still hope elsewhere.

Really I find this pretty interesting... Pearl Harbor, a military action, warrants a disaster killing thousands of innocent citizens who had no relation to WWII at all? Was directly nuking their citizens not enough? I remember watching a video about the guy who dropped one of the bombs, and he made sure to get the point across that he didn't feel any sort of human empathy whatsoever ("I just pressed the button and took a bite out of my sandwich, and went on my day."). It's quite literally the "Don't care unless it's me," mentality, a sickly widespread disease I see throughout my country time and time again.

That link's absolutely disgusting.

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for fun, here's something I got off another forum regarding 2012 (it's not classified at all, so no whistle-blowing please)

The Mayan Calendar has count periods, just like we have years, centuries and millenia.

In Mayan Long Count calendar, the count periods are:

1 day = 1 Kin

20 Kin = 1 Winal

28 Winal = 1 Tun

20 Tun = 1 Katun

20 Katun = 1 Baktun

It's almost a base-20 system, with the exception of Winal to Tun conversion. This compromise was probably made to fit closer to the solar cycles because it makes 1 Tun 360 days instead of 400 days. So a Tun is similar to a year in Georgian calendar, which makes a Katun the base-20 equivalent of a decade and 1 Baktun the base-20 equivalent of a century.

Right now, we are in the 13th Baktun. On Dec 21, 2012, it will be the first Kin of the 14th Baktun. The Mayan calendar ends here presumably because it is a physical calendar that has to end somewhere and the Mayans are not around to publish a new edition.

I mean there is literally nothing in the calendar or Mayan history itself that claims that the world will end at the 14th Baktun. Going by their preference for base-20, it would in fact make more sense to end the world at the 20th Baktun (the base-20 equivalent of a millennium) to complete a "cycle".

[...]

It's really simple. The world will not end after the Mayan calendars run out. This is the equivalent of a future civilisation discovering that our Outlook calendars only count up to September 30, 4500 due to the limitations of computer memory allocation, and then attributing this to our prescient ability to predict that the world will end in 4500 AD. If the Mayans were still around, they would simply get around to making a new calendar when that time comes. There is nothing in their date counting system that prevents them from counting further.

Is there any further news regarding the volcano?

My papers today had a picture of a dead man, curled up in fetal position on a staircase. I feel really, really bad for Japan.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

[hide]

[hide]

Going a little off topic here just because it bugs me. The 2012 thing is such a myth and the joke is wearing real thing. The Mayan calendar was cyclical, in that it ran in set cycles. Much like we replace our calendars every 12 months, and will replace ours on Jan 1st next year, their ended in 2012 and if their civilisation had survived, would have replaced theirs next year, whichever day it ends on. If the world was to end, their calendar would actually say it as it often did with many disasters which they based many things on.

@Lenin, that's a real interesting question. Probably depends how much damage and how the population was removed.

don't act like you know a lot about something when you dont :shame:

i watched a lame youtube video and got obsessed for like a week a few years back lol.

mayan calenders the popular way of presenting it.

what the calander is based on (i think) is the cycles of our earth and other planets alignment in the universe. 2012 is the date when the planets and sun line up with the black hole in the centre of the universe (i think), its definately when all of our planets and sun are aligned. in fact its the first time in 26000 years. its also around the time that this cataclysmic solar storm is predicted, as well as being around the time our poles are due to shift. its very possible that some crazy thing is going to happen that we have no clue about because it hasn't happened in recorded history.

there are a load of other things ill try and remember, like famous prophets (which i dont really believe)..

i dont think the world gunnaa blow up, i definately dont think we're gunna be wiped out. im not really sure if anythings going to happen, but it easily could.

but yeah dont just brush it off as a myth when you don't know what the calender is based on. its just as annoying as people who state 2012 as fact.

Sorry, but please don't act as if you know what you are talking about when you have watched a little youtube video or looked at some internet sources. When I have done a year long module on Mayans and Classic Central Mexican civilisations with lectures specifically on the calendar, number systems and their relations to mythologies for my degree, I actually do know what I'm talking about. The Mayans did not predict the world would end in 2012, FACT. Things may happen in 2012, just as any other year interesting things happen.

but yeah, don't act as if you know what you're talking about.

[/hide]

i know i dont know what im talking about, thats why i keep saying i think, i also know that the mayans didnt predict the end of the world. never said i thought they did. as i said the calenders just a popular way of presenting it. it is true that all our planets are going to be aligned for the first time in 26000 years. FACT.

lol i never said you don't know the specifics of the mayan calender(actually i did) i didnt mean it like that tho. did they teach you about the alignment of planets and eliptical spheres and all that crap im not gunna pretend to understand, because thats what really matters. and you obviously dont know very much about it other than mayan calenders., to just wipe off as a myth based purely on the fact that the mayan calender doesnt predict it.

also i swear theres been a massive problem with deciphering anything to do with the mayans. im not 100% sure but i remember reading it somewhere.

and reading internet sources can be just as good as reading a book. knowledge is knowledge in whatever format :thumbsup:

What on earth are you trying to say then? And could you please capitalise your sentences, it's a pain to read. Can't we leave the 2012 stuff until next year?

Have you guys heard about those people who are blocking off nuclear power plants in Germany that need work to have their lives extended, because they say that the Japanese plants are 'proof' that nuclear power is too risky and uncontrollable? I have a special place in my heart for the Greens. It's next to chavs and Sarah Palin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-12724981

[/hide]

dpm't really even care what i was trying to say tbf.

no capitalizings too hard, almost always type with one hand so ;p

but yeah do you know what gets me about the greens (i was green for a while, went to a few protests and grenpeace meetings lol) they're just totally unrealistic. i agree that coal and oil are bad sources to rely on, but without nuclear power the alternatives are pretty scarce at the moment. i mean if your gunna be that radical noones going to support you..

plus i swear there arnt even any earthquakes in europe.

oh yeah and is anyone else confused about the figures, i keep reading '3000 dead' and then '1000' comfirmed dead. on the same website i saw '10000 missing in fishing village' and then 1000 comfirmed missing. im getting confused as to how bad this is.

It is a tragedy what has happened in Japan it really is my heart goes out to them all.

has anyone seen on RSOF how many topics opened asking for BXPW to be extended because the people in Japan would miss out!

Really shows the intelligence of people on RSOF, if i was in Japan atm, or if i had family in Japan i really wouldnt give 2 cabbages about my B0nuzXpees!

Prayers are with them!

[hide=Stats & Goals]

teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

[/hide]

Feel Free To Add Me In Game I Love Talking To Anyone| Void Knight Justicar

99s In Order of Achievement: Fletching, Strength, Cooking]

Apparently the japanese gvt is being quite vague with death tolls. We'll probably have to wait for another week to get a good idea - but it's a minimum of 10k now from what I've heard.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

ALSO FYI, there is a link on the google page that will allow you to make a donation i know for a fact i will be how many other tif.ers will be?

link just in case Japan Crisis

there is also a person finder on the same page for those who need help in locating a loved one.

[hide=Stats & Goals]

teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

[/hide]

Feel Free To Add Me In Game I Love Talking To Anyone| Void Knight Justicar

99s In Order of Achievement: Fletching, Strength, Cooking]

I already donated a thousand bucks in poker winnings to their cause...that and my cousin is going over there to help out. Truly sad considering how easy it'd be to transfer over to solar power, rather than this 'nuclear chernobyl' one.

div>

@Crustygoblinfoot

I hope you just mean it destroyed your faith in the US. There's still hope elsewhere.

How so? Hypothetically speaking, if those natural disasters occurred in America surely there would be some Japanese people rejoicing because of what we did to them in World War 2 (not that it wasn't warranted). Your actions relate to that of a racist black man that was treated poorly by a group of white men, so he decided to be racist. You are losing faith in America because you saw give or take 40 people rejoicing in what horrible natural disasters that have occurred and now you want to lose faith in America. You are putting yourself on the same level as those people and I think that makes you a hypocrite.

@Will_H

What on earth are you trying to say then? And could you please capitalise your sentences, it's a pain to read.

How does a word simply not being in the uppercase position make it a pain to read? If you'll notice only 1/17 words of my words in that sentence were capitalized and you probably didn't have a problem reading it. Psychologically, you're just looking looking for problems for yourself, especially taking into consideration that there is only an average of 3 capitalized words per sentence when speaking in a normal conversation. By the by, you spelled the word capitalize wrong which makes it a real pain to read.

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

I already donated a thousand bucks in poker winnings to their cause...that and my cousin is going over there to help out. Truly sad considering how easy it'd be to transfer over to solar power, rather than this 'nuclear chernobyl' one.

As a serious alternative, it's not feasible with solar power. Especially not in Japan where it's so crowded.

Nicely done by you by the way.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

As a serious alternative, it's not feasible with solar power. Especially not in Japan where it's so crowded.

Nicely done by you by the way.

i always thought nuclear energy was the alternative lol!

good things come out of natural disasters though, im sure that when rebuiilding a lot more consideration will be taken :thumbsup:

Well, this situation clearly shows some of the drawbacks of so called "green" energy.

apparently nuclear isn't green energy :P

plus thats a whole different topic! maybe someone should start one, basically id say all the drawbacks of green energy are nothing compared to current systems. mainly the fact that one day we won't be able to fuel them so we might as well start finding better ways now :mrgreen: (same with oil)

It's a tragedy no matter what way you look at it.

The before and after picutres of the affected areas were pretty astounding. I was reading in the paper about a town with a population of 17,000 which has around 10,000 people missing/confirmed dead. Awful.

This is interesting to think about. Assume an area is completely wiped out population wise but some or most of the architecture is still standing. What do they do? Do they bulldoze it all and try to repopulate it or do they just say "[bleep] it" and leave it as is?

Yeah, thats quite a good point. In this case I believe most of the buildings are destroyed so I'd probably bulldoze it and start again, once the rescue teams and whatnot have picked through it for the survivors/bodies but I don't know what the Japanese Government plan to do with it.

Was reading again today about a 60 year old man who got onto his roof when the wave hit, which then carried him 9 miles out to sea before the navy got to him and rescued him which is pretty surreal. And there was a picture of a passenger ferry which had been swept away then deposited on the roof of a two story building. The mind boggles when you see pictures like that. Puts the power of the earth into real perspective.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Maybe the silver lining in this (if you can even call it that) whole mess is that cities/towns are going to be rebuilt according to modern standards. Buildings that are energy efficient and the like. Not that Japan wasn't modern before this but this could be an opportunity for city planners to get some good things done.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It takes a natural disaster like this for us to wake up and realise that we're not worth [cabbage] against this. We think we're so high and mighty, the height of intelligence and sophistication, but all it takes is mother nature and some water to cause so much chaos and death.

I remember reading that the Japanese Government weren't taking foreign donations at first, I suppose as a matter of pride. I also read some quite lovely things about how Japanese celebrities were going out, themselves, and rescuing victims. One person tweeted this singer that they were stuck somewhere and barely seconds later the singer tweeted them back telling them to stay where they were, keep warm, and that he was coming over himself to save him.

Artists have been using their road crews and buses to help transport people, not to mention a lot of them donate millions of Yen, as well as their time. It's rather amazing. Makes me wonder if our own celebrities would go and do something like that. The thought of 'Jordan' going out to do something like that just makes me laugh.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

it is true that all our planets are going to be aligned for the first time in 26000 years. FACT.

No it's not true. That's just as much bs as all this planet Nibiru etc. stuff. Someone on youtube saying it's a fact doesn't make it one.

Q: Could a phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?

A: There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades, Earth will not cross the galactic plane in 2012, and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible. Each December the Earth and sun align with the approximate center of the Milky Way Galaxy but that is an annual event of no consequence.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

On-topic: I hope the problems in those nuclear power plants don't escalate too much. Focus should be on trying to rescue tsunami survivors now while they might still be alive. A large scale nuclear accident (though unlikely) would not help the rescue operations at all.

it is true that all our planets are going to be aligned for the first time in 26000 years. FACT.

No it's not true. That's just as much bs as all this planet Nibiru etc. stuff. Someone on youtube saying it's a fact doesn't make it one.

Q: Could a phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?

A: There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades, Earth will not cross the galactic plane in 2012, and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible. Each December the Earth and sun align with the approximate center of the Milky Way Galaxy but that is an annual event of no consequence.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

On-topic: I hope the problems in those nuclear power plants don't escalate too much. Focus should be on trying to rescue tsunami survivors now while they might still be alive. A large scale nuclear accident (though unlikely) would not help the rescue operations at all.

They still need to keep the nuclear plant from having a complete failure though. If it does fail catastrophically, we'll have another Chernobyl, and that's not something we want as it'll have consequences that are more far-reaching than we planned...

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

It takes a natural disaster like this for us to wake up and realise that we're not worth [cabbage] against this. We think we're so high and mighty, the height of intelligence and sophistication, but all it takes is mother nature and some water to cause so much chaos and death.

I remember reading that the Japanese Government weren't taking foreign donations at first, I suppose as a matter of pride. I also read some quite lovely things about how Japanese celebrities were going out, themselves, and rescuing victims. One person tweeted this singer that they were stuck somewhere and barely seconds later the singer tweeted them back telling them to stay where they were, keep warm, and that he was coming over himself to save him.

Artists have been using their road crews and buses to help transport people, not to mention a lot of them donate millions of Yen, as well as their time. It's rather amazing. Makes me wonder if our own celebrities would go and do something like that. The thought of 'Jordan' going out to do something like that just makes me laugh.

Very true. And the fact that theres been no looting speaks volumes as well. I can't imagine the same happening if a similar event happened in the UK or the USA (look what happened after hurricane Katriona).

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Very true. And the fact that theres been no looting speaks volumes as well. I can't imagine the same happening if a similar event happened in the UK or the USA (look what happened after hurricane Katriona).

To be fair, looting would almost be suicidal as places that could be looted are flooded to where it's completely unsafe. Then again, considering that Japan is probably one of the safest places to live... (By safe, it has a rather low crime rate if I recall correctly).

But yes, it's surprising. To be fair about Katrina though they had sniper teams called in to shoot anyone who was looting.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

@Crustygoblinfoot

How so? Hypothetically speaking, if those natural disasters occurred in America surely there would be some Japanese people rejoicing because of what we did to them in World War 2 (not that it wasn't warranted).

Which would be just as inhumane.

Your actions relate to that of a racist black man that was treated poorly by a group of white men, so he decided to be racist. You are losing faith in America because you saw give or take 40 people rejoicing in what horrible natural disasters that have occurred and now you want to lose faith in America.

Yep, those forty [wagon] are the only thing wrong I see with America. :thumbup:

You are putting yourself on the same level as those people and I think that makes you a hypocrite.

Oh, what's this? A derogatory remark? Now you are putting yourself on the same level as me. How does it feel to be a bad person?

How so? Hypothetically speaking, if those natural disasters occurred in America surely there would be some Japanese people rejoicing because of what we did to them in World War 2 (not that it wasn't warranted).

Which would be just as inhumane.

Did you not see the words in parenthesis? Here, I'll make them bold because you obviously have poor vision. You should go get your eyes checked out.

Yep, those forty [wagon] are the only thing wrong I see with America. :thumbup:

Hmmm...then maybe you should be more specific, especially since you said that you were losing faith in America directed at this topic. You never mentioned anything else.

Oh, what's this? A derogatory remark? Now you are putting yourself on the same level as me. How does it feel to be a bad person?

I merely was stating a fact based on what you just said.

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

Can we please not get sidetracked? This is a thread about the effects of the earthquake and tsunami and volcano and nuclear situation and... yeah... all that, on Japan. We're not really discussing America :P

There's a thread for that :thumbsup:

Apparently there's likely to be another earthquake in the next few days, 70% probvability of a 7.something magnitude I heard :ohnoes:

It's impossible to predict mother nature.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang