Drinking/Drugs

Guest Rob

Saw a tobacconist selling spice today, might pick up some next time I'm in.

I personally believe the idea that we have one life to live, so why must we judge people on their decisions and them doing what they wish to do with their lives.

Its understandable if said drinker/drug user has effected you in an immediate way, but besides that, why should you care?

When talking about addictive drugs, how can we not step in a try to prevent it? It's called solidarity. Mankind has to care for itself and it's existence, else there would be complete chaos. Addictive drugs for users who want to quit (there are tons out there who wish to stop but can't because of addiction) can ruin their lives. That's why I care about people around me using such addictive drugs, because I don't want them to get addicted and have their life turn to [cabbage] (I'm not assuming everyone's life turns to [cabbage] when they get addicted, but many do).

Of course, this doesn't really apply to non-addictive drugs (though it can if the person uses it so often that their health becomes an issue).

The way I see it, there are plenty of reasons for us to care, even if the drug doesn't directly affect you.

If a person wants to break free of an addiction then not aiding them is nothing short of a crime against humanity. However, should someone wish to use drugs whilst knowing the negatives (including addictions) then I see no reason to prevent them, or to demonise that person.

EDIT: Wow venomai, you've really done your homework.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having some knowledge about stimulants, that statistic is not very surprising - cocaine is a punishing substance, the comedown is just terrible. I'd expect most people who use it (NOT crack cocaine) would use it very occasionally just because the crash is not worth it.

Again, it's often addictive tendencies rather than the substance itself that leads to abuse.

If a person wants to break free of an addiction then not aiding them is nothing short of a crime against humanity. However, should someone wish to use drugs whilst knowing the negatives (including addictions) then I see no reason to prevent them, or to demonise that person.

You see no reason to prevent them, yet you know all the negatives of the drug yourself. That itself should at least spark some sort of sympathy for the person and in turn lead to a preventive course of action, whatever it may be. In a lot of situations, nothing you do will prevent the person from using the drug. That doesn't mean you can't at least show your sympathy and concern for this person. You're telling me that if a friend of yours wished to do heroine, knowing he could get addicted, you wouldn't simply suggest against it or remind him that it could be a huge mistake (I can understand not getting extremely involved in it)? That seems a bit absurd.

Of course, there's hardly anything we can do for those we don't know personally, but, once again, almost all of us would rather someone not destroy their life with a drug addiction.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

You really think if a friend took up heroin it wouldn't affect your friendship?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Is the only logical explanation that you don't care about your friendships then?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Is the only logical explanation that you don't care about your friendships then?

No, but if a person seriously started using heroin I would dissolve the friendship, only to be renewed if they get clean. I would not want to be associated with someone doing something like that, partially because of the stigma and partially because they're slowly killing themselves.

Although I would say I don't place much store in friendships because I've learned that people generally aren't trustworthy.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Yeah, you don't need anyone at all. What about a family member?

No, but if a person seriously started using heroin I would dissolve the friendship, only to be renewed if they get clean. I would not want to be associated with someone doing something like that, partially because of the stigma and partially because they're slowly killing themselves.

Although I would say I don't place much store in friendships because I've learned that people generally aren't trustworthy.

Sounds like ya need a big ol' friendship hug. :3

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

What if your brother/sister if you have one, or your mother, or your dad, took up smack?

You see no reason to prevent them, yet you know all the negatives of the drug yourself. That itself should at least spark some sort of sympathy for the person and in turn lead to a preventive course of action, whatever it may be. In a lot of situations, nothing you do will prevent the person from using the drug. That doesn't mean you can't at least show your sympathy and concern for this person. You're telling me that if a friend of yours wished to do heroine, knowing he could get addicted, you wouldn't simply suggest against it or remind him that it could be a huge mistake (I can understand not getting extremely involved in it)? That seems a bit absurd.

Of course, there's hardly anything we can do for those we don't know personally, but, once again, almost all of us would rather someone not destroy their life with a drug addiction.

I have friends I would advise to not consume certain drugs, but the friends I have who either occasionally or regularly do harder drugs and both know the effects and don't have either a disposition towards addictions or certain mental health conditions I'm not going to tell them that they shouldn't.

What if your brother/sister if you have one, or your mother, or your dad, took up smack?

My sisters? As they're both minors I would ask them to wait until they turn 18 before they decide whether they wish to do it. As for my parents, they're adults and free to make their own decisions. If my family had a history of addicts or mental conditions I'd advise them against it and keep a close eye on them, but as I said, they're adults and should be making their own decisions.

I can't believe you guys. No one in their right mind starts doing heroin; unless it's at a party, they're probably at a low point and not thinking straight. When you have the chance to help someone who's about to make a big mistake that's probably going to cost them a lot more than they think, you take it. And most of all, you don't disassociate yourself from them because it's going to taint your image. That's just making the problem worse.

>mfw my image will be tainted

whatever-dude-whatever.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1311575356&Signature=8fN9brmzRUzyUC0VAH9L70uawsI%3D

You were just talking about stigmas...

I can't believe you guys. No one in their right mind starts doing heroin; unless it's at a party, they're probably at a low point and not thinking straight. When you have the chance to help someone who's about to make a big mistake that's probably going to cost them a lot more than they think, you take it. And most of all, you don't disassociate yourself from them because it's going to taint your image. That's just making the problem worse.

It's not up to us to tell people what they can and cannot do.

I don't think most friends would let their friend try something that could easily ruin their life when they're at a point when they're not thinking straight. At least make them wait until they're thinking normally before they take that risk.

I don't think most friends would let their friend try something that could easily ruin their life when they're at a point when they're not thinking straight. At least make them wait until they're thinking normally before they take that risk.

Does nobody read my posts unless they're replying to it? I've already stated I'd try to convince someone who wasn't right in the head to not try it.

Because society never does that, right?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

But it is up to us (us meaning those who are close to said people) to tell them what they should and should not do (strictly speaking about drug abuse), given that we are thinking about their best interests and not being selfish. We may not act on it (which I totally get, no one wants to be told what to do), but we should at least voice our concerns. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't. From your posts, I think you might.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |