What nobody noticed about the magic update

Adam007

I basically posted this in a few lines somewhere else, but I'll explain in detail here.

Look past all of the rewards and fun (or lack of, depending on how you liked the update), and this is what jagex's plan was to reduce inflation. I find that it worked.

Basically normally when players alch, they get aroudn 768 gp from each yew long. Not anything new. But now members are using up all of their natures they would normally use to high alch at the minigame place in hopes of getting these shiny new rewards.

The thing is, compare the two. A nature can bring in 768gp to the economy, or we have the new minigame's impact. 2 gp.

Yep. A player only brings in an average of 2 gp to the game now from each alch. People generally at the game will alch the 15's and 30 gp choices. Close enough to 20gp on average per nature. We keep 10% of what we make, so we get around 2-3gp per every nature. The rest goes to 'maintaining runescape stores' or whatever, aka - big money drain.

Well there you go. Now that there's that option, the question remains of how many playeres will still continue to alch regularly compared to those that will waste their natures at the game. If there's significantly less natures used to alch yew longs, then there might be an economic impact to the whole game. Don't worry or anything, but it's still a potential impact. This has definitely been jagex's best move in reducing inflation in runescape.

That's a really good veiw on it, or Jagex made it and it just happened to be like that, but natures don't give nearly as much gp as they used it.

This increase of demand will make rune essences raise and then more people will be making them, I guess in time the natures will pay for themselves, in theory. (Making enough natures to equal the same as all those yew longs).

Sunryse.png

I don't see what the big deal is. Most of the players who're at the Arena are either looking to make money on the items or are just there because of all the hype surrounding the place. The bottom line is that alching in that room is a gigantic money loss. Most Runescape players = greedy little kids. They don't want to lose anything. My prediction is that that room is going to become very empty in a couple of weeks.

Frankly, I can also think of many better things Jagex has done to reduce inflation in the game. Want an obvious example? Barrows. Everyone wants Barrows equipment. How many players have we seen at CW with Torag hammers and Full rune, or Red dragon hide and a Greataxe? Tons of money disappearing every single day..

Edit: You're talking to a guy who's wasted over 20 million on Runes alone. I don't give a [cabbage] about losing cash on Runes as long as I can get experience fast, or if getting exp is fun in some way. But I'm still not going to spend hours of my time in the Alchemist room..it's slow exp and also boring as hell. Chances are that other rich Magic trainers feel the same way.

Uhh... I don't know about that. The only price change that has occured is the skyrocketing price of cosmics. And thats INflation. Mabye some things will deflate in price, but I doubt anytime soon.

i think it's good idea by jagex. the problem with this economy is that everythign is goind up due to alching. this causes new people start behind everyone else.

i been in that new minigame and i like it, not booring compared with regular alching. altough i still have 2k yew longs to alch sometime :)

1500+ total 89 cmb; 1600+ total and under 93 cmb.

02/04/07 reached all skills 60+ under lvl 90 cmb.

07/19/07 reached all skills 70+ at lvl 93 cmb.

Prayer is good for herbs

well he is righte but i think java did not mean that to happen. Because if you go to alching place you can get all of your spells free. If you just wait a bit and get the things you can alch for free. You also get more pg if you alch for free.

Hows that bad (i know autoing is bad,shut up) the more rune essence falls the more profitable rcing is...
with this happening more people would runecraft, in search of a larger profit. this would cause the essence to bounce back up to what they are now, lowering the profits. with lowered profits there would be less runecrafters, lowering the price of essence. it would be a neverending cycle :P

yes there is the nat\alch point but u also need to think about all the money being circulated through the purchase of ess and nats from players.... :shock:

That doesn't have to do with any gp being created. I'm talking about the possibility of a cutdown on the major intake of gp brought into rs.

well he is righte but i think java did not mean that to happen. Because if you go to alching place you can get all of your spells free. If you just wait a bit and get the things you can alch for free. You also get more pg if you alch for free.

Yeah, but that's minor. Out of the tons of alches done there, only people who can't afford natures take that route. It's ridiculously slow doing that, and a waste of time, I guess unless you're doign something else with the screen to the side and alch the whole inventory of one item when it turns green. But I doubt too many people do that. Still, that doesn't really have to do with what I'm talking about.

Hows that bad (i know autoing is bad,shut up) the more rune essence falls the more profitable rcing is...
with this happening more people would runecraft, in search of a larger profit. this would cause the essence to bounce back up to what they are now, lowering the profits. with lowered profits there would be less runecrafters, lowering the price of essence. it would be a neverending cycle :P

It doesn't matter if essence doubles to 80 gp or even more. They're still making profit runecrafting.

So anyways, if there is an effect, it won't be for awhile, and that's only if people keep using that place to alch at, which Shiva seems to think won't happen, and I'm still unsure of. I think that people are so distracted by the rewards they're actually thinking that they're getting something worthwhile out of all of the runes that they're wasting.

For this Mage Arena to have any real effect on the economy, there must be a major advantage to High Alching in the Arena as opposed to outside of it. Currently, the items from the Arena are trading at unsustainable values, which is always the case when new items are released. When the prices of these newly introduced items drop, and the hype surrounding this update is gone, do you honestly believe there will be any reason to waste the money high alching in the arena? Considering there are thousands of players High Alching at any given moment on RS2, it just doesn't seem likely that this will even put a dent on the GP entering the game.

I would hope this is not an attempt to stop inflation, as it would show that Jagex is really on the wrong track. I still support my "Land Rental" proposition with the introduction of Carpentry, and durability costs on all items in the game. It really shouldn't be that difficult to remove GP from the game through NPC's.

sig7uu.png

It really shouldn't be that difficult to remove GP from the game through NPC's.

ah, good point. the problem i think is putting in a buyable reason why theirs GP drain in the game. ALOT of people dont want barrows upkeep but alot deal with it. 330k isnt a big deal i mean YEAH thats something thats like a good days work to some but to others its not even a minutes work. SO their in lies another problem how to make a fair GP drain. yes i agreed with your land rental theory however i do not think it will be fair nor will jagex do it. i wouldnt mine seeing it happen but hey, jagex is about equality or so it seems.

theirs gp drains thru out the whole game, boat rides herb IDing, usage of the shilo furnace all this stuff HELPS but is not a big enough influence. if their is going to be anything to reduce the inflation rate it would have to major, for example changing the alch prices of bows and ranged armor and the lower lvl smithable items. if these were all cut in half im sure their be a big grind in ALOT of area, crafting fletching and not sooo much of smithing. i cannot think of a thing that would require an ingame gp drain that would be a reasonable thing to keep seeing how the mass majority of RS community protests things like that already

the problem of inflation is not nearly as rapacious as people point out, due to the influx of new players, the money that is "locked" in assets that will fall in value - here the money dissapears - and the money locked in older accounts who horde it often.

the inflation problem is not exponential, and the best way to cure it is to advertise rs2, and bring in more and more players, which may even mean the value of the gp rises

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

Moneywise Alchemy chamber is a loss.

Xp wise Alchemy chamber is a gain. Even if you don't look for the 30 item you still get a nice bonus of magic xp.

(At least, it's cool for me since my magic's not thaat high.)

And IMO standing in a bank alching is more boring than running around trying to find items. =)

DEGqA.pngQtYSR.pngHY2Ll.png

a mass ban is coming to all those autoers, i assure u that, yeah it dont matter becaues the autoers prolly drop trade their cash to their main, but still, mass bans are always nice.

Another point to this, is it will most likely increase the prices of natures and decrease the price of rares. Reasons cosmic skyrocketed so fast is because their was rumors that you could now get dragon stones from the new mini game..pfft...what a rumor.

jagex is going to come up with new things to get autoers in game. I wouldn't worry bout that...but i think jagex biggest fault was getting rid of rsc for f2p...it was autoer haven...yes, but least it was rsc and not their new product rs2.

w4M8t.png