• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Inside computer]2mq70pw.jpg

[spoiler=Desk]3g4yc.jpg

Antec Sonata 3 500

ATI 4670 512mb, slightly oc'ed

Intel [email protected]

Corsair VX 550 (good warranty period+future proofing)

Foxconn crap mobo

Akasa 965 cpu cooler

Hitaci 250gb 7200rpm 8mb cache

2 fans, one Antec and one Fractal design, both 120mm

Dealtaco keyboard (i spill coffee randomly so i never buy any expensive keyboards)

Saitek gm3200 mouse

Logitech X530 speakers

Dell (17") and Packard Bell (19") screens

3gb DDR2 ram

I would want to buy some new hardware, but i lack the cash.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought an ATI 5770 HD card, which is a welcome upgrade from an Nvidia 9400GT+. The 5770 is powering my primary middle monitor and the 9400GT's powering the outer two monitors. I've also come across/rediscovered a useful program called SoftTH (http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/) which takes some DirectX 9 or below games, and setups involving two PCIe cards, and lets you use all three monitors as if it were one really wide monitor. The primary graphics card then powers everything. Combine that with a 5770, and TF2 at max settings is still very fast.

If you want to try this for TF2, this is a quick guide. I also used this to push most of the HUD back to the middle monitor.

New cards in case (btw, the fans are actually spinning, but the shutter on this camera is really fast):

2gwszkg.jpg

TF2 screenshot:

2e1wz00.jpg

What you actually see:

2vjstvq.jpg

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Got a new laptop recently:

nqeo81.png

Dell Studio 1749

17.3" 1600x900 Screen

Intel Core i5-520m @ 2.4Ghz (2 cores, 4 threads)

4GB DDR3 RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 1GB

500GB 7200rpm HDD

Wireless, webcam, DVD, etc, etc

Windows 7 64-bit (will probably stick Debian/Ubuntu on here when my exams are over)

Performance wise, it runs TF2 on highest at 60fps, and Bad Company 2 on Medium at about 30fps. It's adequately powerful for games, and the screen is a nice size without being excessively bulky. I got it mainly because I didn't want to get a desktop but I wanted something that was reasonably powerful. The PC behind is my old desktop.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

• 3 weeks later...

pictureab.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Screen cracked just came back fixed. Dell inspiron 17 worst computer i've ever bought. Something I have learnt from This laptop is never buy dell

kWMd.gifI0SK.gifSC6s.gifYI0G.gif

If you click on them they hatch or grow up faster and look awesomer!!!

87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot. If you're one of the 42% of statistics that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig. In addition, 126.324% of the previous statement does not make sense.

CPU: Core 2 Extreme Q6850 @ 3.00GHz

Memory: 4x 2GB Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D (8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS Striker II Formula

PSU: Topower 1200W

Case: Blackbird 002

Monitors: 4x HP w2207

Graphics: 2x 8800 Ultra

Headset: AX360

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM (Boot Drives), Seagate 7,500 RPM (Stroage)

Optical Drives: 2x Toshiba TS-T632 DVD±RW (Slim)

Keyboard: Logitech G19

Mouse: Logitech G5

Current OS: GNU/Linux (Slackware 13 x64)

dTPrE.jpg

EeICR.jpg

hkrIN.jpg

ymW5O.jpg

Main PC specs:

Ram: 4gb ddr2 800Mhz

Graphics: Nvidia 9800 GTX+

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.0 Ghz

MB - Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2

[hide=pics]

General Area:

osbd5x.jpg

View of computer from chair:

2mobc51.jpg

Inside of computer (large image) :

(This was dusted out two days ago)

25teuqr.jpg

[/hide]

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Multi-monitors for the win. I'm really happy that you guys have seen the light about how much better it is to have more than one small screen than one big one.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Multi-monitors for the win. I'm really happy that you guys have seen the light about how much better it is to have more than one small screen than one big one.

It is extremely useful for programming, video editing, and gaming. This summer, I will be set for quads hopefully. I am planning on getting another9800, the EVGA P55 SLiboard, an 1156 i7, and 4GB of ddr3 1600mhz ram. I will probably need to get a bigger case. I do not plan on using SLI except for when attending LAN parties.I might try watercooling on my current setup with a cheap kit, My current setup sounds like a jet blowing out of the back of the case with my fans at max. I still manage to keep my CPU around 45c under load and my 9800 at 58c under load. I was looking into the Antec 1200 case, but it rose in price again. I may get the COOLER MASTER HAF. I will have to look at future expandability before I decide for sure.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[spoiler=text]

It is extremely useful for programming, video editing, and gaming. This summer, I will be set for quads hopefully. I am planning on getting another9800, the EVGA P55 SLiboard, an 1156 i7, and 4GB of ddr3 1600mhz ram. I will probably need to get a bigger case. I do not plan on using SLI except for when attending LAN parties.I might try watercooling on my current setup with a cheap kit, My current setup sounds like a jet blowing out of the back of the case with my fans at max. I still manage to keep my CPU around 45c under load and my 9800 at 58c under load. I was looking into the Antec 1200 case, but it rose in price again. I may get the COOLER MASTER HAF. I will have to look at future expandability before I decide for sure.

No use of hasseling around with watercooling if you buy a cheap kit. Better to spend 50$ on a good fan instead. You need to spend quite a bit of money on watercooling for it to be useful.

[spoiler=text]

No use of hasseling around with watercooling if you buy a cheap kit. Better to spend 50$ on a good fan instead. You need to spend quite a bit of money on watercooling for it to be useful.

I just want to get a watercooling system I can get my feet wet with(no pun intended). If all goes well I will look into a more higher quality system on my new build. Air cooling is only so good. You have to consider ambient temperature and the heat that your components put off.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[spoiler=text]

I just want to get a watercooling system I can get my feet wet with(no pun intended). If all goes well I will look into a more higher quality system on my new build. Air cooling is only so good. You have to consider ambient temperature and the heat that your components put off.

Air cooling is sufficient for most tech guys(girls), just check whatever forum and most that have builds for even i.e. 1.5k don't even have watercooling. The noise level is the only thing that i'd see as an upside to a cheap H2O kit. I don't know what you consider a cheap watercooling kit, but take a random 100 water-kit and test a 50 heatsink(+fan..) and the values are very similar, the air cooling might even edge away in some cases. I stand by my comment that a quality watercooling kit is justifiable.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose a silent computer is very desirable. As I understand it, it's still necessary to remove the hot air from the radiator if you use water cooling, so you're back to a fan or two again. Still, if they're good fans, it's still pretty acceptable.

Ah, I don't know. My rig's totalled up eight fans now and it get really loud sometimes.

Late EDIT: Out of curiosity, how does a 4 monitor 2x2 system compare with 3 monitors in a row? Isn't it a bit awkward looking up as well as slightly left and right?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• 1 month later...

CPU: Core 2 Extreme Q6850 @ 3.00GHz

Memory: 4x 2GB Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D (8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS Striker II Formula

PSU: Topower 1200W

Case: Blackbird 002

Monitors: 4x HP w2207

Graphics: 2x 8800 Ultra

Headset: AX360

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM (Boot Drives), Seagate 7,500 RPM (Stroage)

Optical Drives: 2x Toshiba TS-T632 DVD±RW (Slim)

Keyboard: Logitech G19

Mouse: Logitech G5

Current OS: GNU/Linux (Slackware 13 x64)

And you need a 1200W PSU Why lol? I could understand MAYBE if you were going quad SLI or something...but you could easily get away with an 800-1000W...

I suppose a silent computer is very desirable. As I understand it, it's still necessary to remove the hot air from the radiator if you use water cooling, so you're back to a fan or two again. Still, if they're good fans, it's still pretty acceptable.

Ah, I don't know. My rig's totalled up eight fans now and it get really loud sometimes.

Late EDIT: Out of curiosity, how does a 4 monitor 2x2 system compare with 3 monitors in a row? Isn't it a bit awkward looking up as well as slightly left and right?

Well in my CoolerMaster HAF 922 I have three case fans and it's usually pretty quiet. A 140mm, and 2 X 200mm. Bigger fans are quieter so it doesn't get too loud but still pushes lots of air. :)

More OT: Might as well post my computer I guess.

[hide]

Inside

35aku1t.jpg

Front

ejiucz.jpg

Disk Bench

2ahw6eq.png

Geekbench

4jwe39.png

Unigine

qnk0w3.png

[/hide]

My Rig Specs:

Processor - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Hard Drive - Two 320GB Western Digitial Black Caviar Enterprise Storage RAID0 & Two 1TB Western Digital Green Caviar RAID1

Video Card - PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Monitor - 23 Inch Widescreen (ASUS) 1920X1080 Res

Keyboard - Logitech G110

Mouse - Logitech MX518

Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Computer Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP

Power Supply - Thermaltake Toughpower 775W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

Big_Stingman.png

And you need a 1200W PSU Why lol? I could understand MAYBE if you were going quad SLI or something...but you could easily get away with an 800-1000W...

Maybe. FYI, Using SLI isn't going to require anymore power than just running the cards normal. It doesn't hurt to have a little bigger PSU. however, it does hurt to have a smaller PSU. Also, what's the point you're trying to make? Did you think I was just going to jump up and by a smaller PSU for you?

Maybe. FYI, Using SLI isn't going to require anymore power than just running the cards normal. It doesn't hurt to have a little bigger PSU. however, it does hurt to have a smaller PSU. Also, what's the point you're trying to make? Did you think I was just going to jump up and by a smaller PSU for you?

I know that running SLI does not require anymore power then using four cards without SLI...although I'm not sure why you would not want to use SLI. The whole point of having that many cards would be to use them all at once. And a 1200w PSU is not a little bigger lol, that is almost 2 times as much you need. I did not expect you to "jump up and by a smaller PSU for [me]." I was just making a point that there is no need for such a high PSU for the current hardware you were running.

There is no need to be snappy or take offense. Just for future reference. :smile:

Big_Stingman.png

I know that running SLI does not require anymore power then using four cards without SLI...although I'm not sure why you would not want to use SLI. The whole point of having that many cards would be to use them all at once. And a 1200w PSU is not a little bigger lol, that is almost 2 times as much you need. I did not expect you to "jump up and by a smaller PSU for [me]." I was just making a point that there is no need for such a high PSU for the current hardware you were running.

There is no need to be snappy or take offense. Just for future reference. :smile:

I'm not running SLI because I'm running multi monitors. I still don't understand you're point at all. You made a big deal over over the size of my PSU in your OP. If you really want to know I'm running roughly 1050W to 1100W of the power supply. If you still have an issue about this PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the Cooler Master 932 case. I moved all of my components to there. I have a few pics of it below.

I added a red cold cathode, fan controller, two LED fans (2 more on the way), and it looks pretty sweet. I plan on ordering another three cold cathodes and running two on each fan controller knob. I will have 4 LED fans (push 90CFM of air at max) and 4 cold cathodes (2 at top and 2 at bottom_ when everything is complete.

It lowered my CPU temp by around 11degrees Celsius, my ambient case temperature by 12 degrees, and my graphics card by 14 degrees. I didn't bother with much cable management since this is a temporary motherboard. Here is the Motherboard, processor, and memory I will be getting on my next purchase.

EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G

I am debating buying two more 9800's or two 470's . I plan on running triple/quad mons anyways.

[hide=pics]

These were taken in sisters room. That is not my blanket in the back.

s5000068.jpg

s5000078.jpg

s5000071.jpg

[/hide]

sigcp.png

65,280 to 99 fletching on 3-14-09

40,405 to 99 woodcutting on 10-17-2009

• 1 month later...

If you are running multi-monitors, how does the mouse move between them. Im curious, It's something I may try. Also, can you run 2 monitors while still having 2 cards in SLI?

My computer is a 2001 Dell Dimension 8200, nothing pretty to see inside. Unless you like spiderwebs or ribbon cables. Not sure which one bothers me more.