Anonymous Vows Destruction of Facebook

Lenticular_J

You know, forcing stuff on people "for their own good" is actually EXACTLY how totalitarian and authoritarian governments work. This only works if, you know, the people in charge of "doing things for your own good" actually, um, know better then you. The only place this situations exists is in parent-child relations. (Young kids.)

In any rate, considering all the things facebook gets used for... I've heard bad things about their security settings. But like anything online, you just need to have the mentality that whatever goes on the internet might be seen by anyone. If you're thinking of putting something on facebook that could land you in serious [cabbage] in you parents/boss/the government found it, you should assume that they will and not post it.

Well, at least something on a site like facebook that's all ABOUT sharing information. What I mean is, don't stop say, RS membership because you think their database will be hacked and your credit card stolen. But don't post things on facebook that you want kept private.

Or, what I really love, people doing something illegal and posting it on youtube. But I'm getting offtopic.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause

Huge contradiction right off the bat there. Again, i'll point out the huge irony of an anonymous group wanting freedom of information.

I hope their aim is to get even more bad press, and amass an incredibly huge public disgust and hate at themselves, as this is the best they can hope for. In reality, I doubt they can make a dent. Just by googling, I have learnt facebook boasts 175 million logins per day. With a userbase that large, and servers that handle it, I doubt they have any chance taking it down. Anon may be able to cripple government sites which probably have servers designed to take a few thousand users at a time, Facebook is another game altogether and it's servers by now must be so robust.

Anon, and 4chan which seems to harbor Anon, should fear a backlash if they manage to make any impact, as the Facebook userbase will no doubt retaliate, and in much much larger numbers.

If they do do this, I doubt they will try a standard DDoS attack as you are correct - one would need truly awesome firepower to take down facebook. Infiltrating facebook's servers and breaking things is far more likely (AKA real hacking) - and difficult.

/b/ is lame. Their trollfaces, "raids" and all the other hullabaloo are only reflections of the actual people behind the anonymity.

Summertime /b/ is just awful, full of summer[bleep]s who think the pinnacle of trolling is posting something wrong then shouting 'LULZ I TROLLZ U' when they get called out. During the rest of the year there is genuinely some good stuff if you sift through all the crap.

What good comes from /b/? I'm genuinely serious here, because you gotta go through a TON OF [cabbage] before, as people claim, you find gems.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

What good comes from /b/? I'm genuinely serious here, because you gotta go through a TON OF [cabbage] before, as people claim, you find gems.

Alternative Art threads and Desktop Backgrounds. Other than that, nothing of any value. lol

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

/b/ is lame. Their trollfaces, "raids" and all the other hullabaloo are only reflections of the actual people behind the anonymity.

Summertime /b/ is just awful, full of summer[bleep]s who think the pinnacle of trolling is posting something wrong then shouting 'LULZ I TROLLZ U' when they get called out. During the rest of the year there is genuinely some good stuff if you sift through all the crap.

Yeah I forgot it's summertime ¬_¬ Wasn't that terrible war on tumblr done by summer users?

Anyway, it'd be cool if it does happen but it's not gonna :rolleyes:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Alternative Art threads and Desktop Backgrounds. Other than that, nothing of any value. lol

Desktop backgrounds = /wg/

I'd say the artwork board for alt art but I'm not sure if it's even an alive board.

Desktop backgrounds = /wg/

I'd say the artwork board for alt art but I'm not sure if it's even an alive board.

/i/? That's for OC only.

16185_s.gif

Meh I call trolling... Fifth of November lol

Remember remember the fifth of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason why gunpowder, treason

Should ever be forgot...

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the power of Anonymous. One highly skilled hacker with access to a large botnet could slow down facebook. Hundreds or thousands of people, some with botnets, could take it down. If it happens, the only limiting factor is how long people are willing to spend hitting it. If it's a serious operation, facebook will go down, no question.

If it isn't, then nobody cares.

Good stuff on /b/: Stoner threads (the comics are hilarious), greentext storytime (also hilarious/interesting), epic threads like the crane thread or the bread pun thread, lifehacks threads (there is often seriously useful stuff on there), troll threads (sometimes funny), jailbait threads, good YLYL threads, and probably more.

PM me for fitocracy invite

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the power of Anonymous. One highly skilled hacker with access to a large botnet could slow down facebook. Hundreds or thousands of people, some with botnets, could take it down. If it happens, the only limiting factor is how long people are willing to spend hitting it. If it's a serious operation, facebook will go down, no question.

Facebook is used to handling (rough estimate) probably 10 million simultaneous users. If you wanted to be at all sure of being able to bring it down you'd need to add (or simulate) probably another 20-30 million. That's enormous.

I don't think that many people even browse /b/. Not to mention that almost all of them probably use FB so they have a reason not to bring it down.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Facebook is used to handling (rough estimate) probably 10 million simultaneous users. If you wanted to be at all sure of being able to bring it down you'd need to add (or simulate) probably another 20-30 million. That's enormous.

I don't think that many people even browse /b/. Not to mention that almost all of them probably use FB so they have a reason not to bring it down.

Not true. I'm not going to go into specifics, but when you DDOS, each user is slowing down the server much, much more than an average user.

I don't think that many people even browse /b/.

The 30+ million posts in the last 7 months would like to disagree with you.

Well, let's take that 30,000,000, and space it over seven months.

7 months = ~210 days

210 days = 5040 hours

30,000,000 posts / 5040 hours = ~6000 posts an hour. That's around 2 every second. Of course, this figure is useless since we have no idea how many people actually post. In any case, I doubt they could come up with the numbers to really crash Facebook.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

You can only post once every 30 seconds, so 60 posts happen between each of yours, probably more since most people don't use 4chan X (tells you when you can post again).

I CBA to do the math, but rest assured that there are massive numbers of people on /b/.

Edit: Checked the stats, in terms of traffic, 4chan is in the top 1000 sites in the US. Based on stats from other boards, over 75% of posts are on /b/.

Massive numbers of edgy 13-year-olds.

They won't do [cabbage] to Facebook, they're just ruining the Internet for the rest of us. I honestly don't care at all if Facebook sells my data to the government. The government knows what bands and movies I like now, cool.

They won't do [cabbage] to Facebook, they're just ruining the Internet for the rest of us. I honestly don't care at all if Facebook sells my data to the government. The government knows what bands and movies I like now, cool.

Yes, 13 year olds who tend to have computer skills far beyond that of the average adult.

Yes, 13 year olds who tend to have computer skills far beyond that of the average adult.

13 year olds, 99% of which have never touched a line of code in their entire lives. They're no hackers, they're just some punk script kiddies who want attention.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Is this just going to be another LOIC attack ? How incredibly passe. But yeah, FaceBook is like, probably, just another branch of the CIA. (All jokes aside, the amount of data mining possible were FaceBook to actually sell their user's information is just mindblowing.)

It probably happens.

Sure, I bet these 13 year olds are SO MUCH BETTER than the hundreds of white hats that have networking/computer engineering degrees and years of experience... Because, you know, they have um, backtrack and DDOS right? Facebook (and only facebook because only facebook would be concerned in protecting the website from imminent destruction) has no possible way of defending against these teenagers.

wl7w9j.png

Sure, I bet these 13 year olds are SO MUCH BETTER than the hundreds of white hats that have networking/computer engineering degrees and years of experience... Because, you know, they have um, backtrack and DDOS right? Facebook (and only facebook because only facebook would be concerned in protecting the website from imminent destruction) has no possible way of defending against these teenagers.

Having computer skills beyond the average adult is the norm for the average youth (and completely irrelevant, too, since people working for technical support are not average adults). And I can guarantee you over half of them don't know how to use either a proxy or how to DDOS a site. You should see /b/ for what it is, not for what it claims to be.

16185_s.gif