Anonymous Vows Destruction of Facebook

Lenticular_J

http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-facebook-2011-8

Hacktivist group Anonymous, which has been responsible for cyber-attacks on the Pentagon, News Corp, and others, has vowed to destroy Facebook on November 5th (which should ring a bell).

Citing privacy concerns and the difficulty involved in deleting a Facebook account, Anonymous hopes to "kill Facebook," the "medium of communication [we] all so dearly adore."

This isn't the first time Anonymous has spoken out against social networks.

After Google removed Anonymous' Gmail and Google+ accounts, Anonymous pledged to create its own social network, called AnonPlus.

The full text of the announcement, made on YouTube and reported by Village Voice, is below:

Operation Facebook

DATE: November 5, 2011.

TARGET: https://facebook.com

Press:

Twitter : https://twitter.com/OP_Facebook

http://piratepad.net/YCPcpwrl09

Irc.Anonops.Li #OpFaceBook

Attention citizens of the world,

We wish to get your attention, hoping you heed the warnings as follows:

Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause and kill facebook for the sake of your own privacy.

Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world. Some of these so-called whitehat infosec firms are working for authoritarian governments, such as those of Egypt and Syria.

Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your "privacy" settings, and deleting your account is impossible, even if you "delete" your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more "private" is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family. http://www.physorg.com/news170614271.htmlhttp://itgrunts.com/2010/10/07/facebook-steals-numbers-and-data-from-your-iph....

You cannot hide from the reality in which you, the people of the internet, live in. Facebook is the opposite of the Antisec cause. You are not safe from them nor from any government. One day you will look back on this and realise what we have done here is right, you will thank the rulers of the internet, we are not harming you but saving you.

The riots are underway. It is not a battle over the future of privacy and publicity. It is a battle for choice and informed consent. It's unfolding because people are being raped, tickled, molested, and confused into doing things where they don't understand the consequences. Facebook keeps saying that it gives users choices, but that is completely false. It gives users the illusion of and hides the details away from them "for their own good" while they then make millions off of you. When a service is "free," it really means they're making money off of you and your information.

Think for a while and prepare for a day that will go down in history. November 5 2011, #opfacebook . Engaged.

This is our world now. We exist without nationality, without religious bias. We have the right to not be surveilled, not be stalked, and not be used for profit. We have the right to not live as slaves.

We are anonymous

We are legion

We do not forgive

We do not forget

Expect us

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-facebook-2011-8#ixzz1Ua8G9PON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWQTS8zqYXU

Probably gonna be a crappy day to play Farmville.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, wasn't this announced last month?

Oh and, nothing is going to happen, blah blah blah.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Wait, wasn't this announced last month?

Oh and, nothing is going to happen, blah blah blah.

I dunno, I just heard about it. Not like the combined forces of 4chan haven't done some crazy stuff before. But I'm hardly knowledgeable here, was more hoping to check out all the folks' opinions who do know.

"Hacktivist group Anonymous"

So that's what they call 14 year olds these days? Nothing major is going to happen, it's silly.

Fair enough. I know very little about computers, so had no clue about their possibilities. They're the only major group of people I know about. They brought down PayPal a while back, right? I needed it that exact day...

I guess I knew most of them were kids that just like to play with computers. I just wondered if there were enough of them to cause a problem.

Sounds like a bit of an empty threat. Especially now that they've warned Facebook too.

Yeah, I lol'd. Just looking for attention tbh, and even if they do hack FaceBook I couldn't care less.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause

Huge contradiction right off the bat there. Again, i'll point out the huge irony of an anonymous group wanting freedom of information.

I hope their aim is to get even more bad press, and amass an incredibly huge public disgust and hate at themselves, as this is the best they can hope for. In reality, I doubt they can make a dent. Just by googling, I have learnt facebook boasts 175 million logins per day. With a userbase that large, and servers that handle it, I doubt they have any chance taking it down. Anon may be able to cripple government sites which probably have servers designed to take a few thousand users at a time, Facebook is another game altogether and it's servers by now must be so robust.

Anon, and 4chan which seems to harbor Anon, should fear a backlash if they manage to make any impact, as the Facebook userbase will no doubt retaliate, and in much much larger numbers.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Honestly, I'd be amused if they did it :P I'm not a big Facebook fan/user so I don't care much either way.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

They'd better not succeed.

Facebook is the only way I can communicate with my girlfriend right now.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Seeing as I live far away from most of my old friends, I make a great deal of use of FaceBook. I'd have stuck to email if my friends chose to use it <_<

But whatever. Empty threat is empty.

Tec106.png

The fact that nobody understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

Scenario 1: This actually happens

Everyone [cabbage]s bricks and we laugh heartily. Unforeseeable consequences follow that result in huge hits to net neutrality.

I'm actually starting to think that the main goal of Anonymous is to add more restrictions to the internet, thus making them the greatest meta-trolls that ever lived.

Anyone trying to build up an army to defend facebook? Cause I'd rather join the fight against Anon in this situation. Generally i agree with them, but this is just straight propaganda to incite epic trolling. Facebook doesn't sell info to the government, Facebook is an international internet resource, where data is collected and saved and communicated. The government can look at exactly the same information anyone else can, and getting more would be violating most country's terms of privacy. Maybe some governments in some countries abuse facebook, but it's not a worldwide phenomenon. Anon is getting dumber and more trigger happy.

Facebook will thrive, even if they do manage to DDOS it for a few hours.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Good luck Anon, you'll need it.

Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Facebook did sell info to various governments behind our back. But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of places did that.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information then join the cause

Huge contradiction right off the bat there. Again, i'll point out the huge irony of an anonymous group wanting freedom of information.

I hope their aim is to get even more bad press, and amass an incredibly huge public disgust and hate at themselves, as this is the best they can hope for. In reality, I doubt they can make a dent. Just by googling, I have learnt facebook boasts 175 million logins per day. With a userbase that large, and servers that handle it, I doubt they have any chance taking it down. Anon may be able to cripple government sites which probably have servers designed to take a few thousand users at a time, Facebook is another game altogether and it's servers by now must be so robust.

Anon, and 4chan which seems to harbor Anon, should fear a backlash if they manage to make any impact, as the Facebook userbase will no doubt retaliate, and in much much larger numbers.

Agreed. Their preferred method of taking sites down involves LOIC spam for what it's worth. Good luck simulating those kinds of numbers needed to crash the site.

@TTant: Email or some messenger?

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Ugh, what gain does USA or Saudi Arabia for that matter have in buying personal information?

23 year old Anon living with his mom likes video games, ponies, and the Yankees? Seriously? They want Mr. Spy's information, and he's not on Facebook.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It's really hilarious that when things like this are announced, it's false yet when it isn't announced, it happens.

>_> And if they plot to destroy Facebook, why would the hackers warn them? That's like having a potential gunman

warning a school that he's going to shoot their campus down so they better do something about it.

Ironyyyy... :rolleyes:

If their plans come to fruition, ehh I really won't care much since I deleted my FB months ago.