The Sleep Thread

Assume Nothing

Summer has passed, and for most of us, school or college has started. Alike most of you, I struggle to sleep on a schedule during the holidays - I sleep when I'm tired, and that generally revolves around sleeping between 3am and 6am in the morning. The impact of it's evident on my grades, and I feel we ought to have a thread discussing it.

Do you have any advice to share for a good night's rest? Does anyone have a nice story to tell? What do you dream about?

Post it here!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dream once a month, probably. It's so rare, I hate it.

Recently after I finished junior college and looking for a job, I've been sleeping like you, around 3-4AM. Then I wake up like 10,11,12 the next morning. I sleep too much, but, there isn't much to do around here.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Set a reasonable time to get up at in the morning (9:00 for me), and get up when your alarm goes off. Without fail, no excuses, period.

I've never met anyone who's tried this and it hasn't worked for them unless they have some actual disease.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I haven't gone back to school yet but it will be interesting to see if I can get onto a decent sleeping pattern... :P Right now I just go to bed when I'm tired and wake up around 12pm. But I'll have some 9am classes when school starts :( Ew.

Last night I dreamt that I was a killer whale o_O It was awesome tbh.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

My sleeping pattern is pretty erratic, mostly due to my work hours sometimes switching from working for about 8 hours one night and then another 6 the next afternoon, fun stuff like that. As for advice? Don't make any deals or anything with yourself. Get up when your alarm goes off, don't decide to sleep for a couple more minutes, etc. Sometimes when I have real trouble sleeping I'll take a pill and make sure to have somebody that I can rely upon to wake me up in case I sleep through the alarm.

Unfortunately, if I do have dreams, I don't remember any of them when I wake up.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

At this point, I go to bed around 11pm and wake up at 7-8am. Sometimes I can't get to sleep until 12am, though.

I was thinking of making a dream thread, so this'll be a great place to post my dreams. :thumbup:

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

I induced myself with a strange brand of circadian rhythm that falls somewhere between nocturnalism and insmonia last year when first semester started [beginning of Sept '10]. After about 6 months, I did manage to recognize the problem and began workingn on fixing it. It is now Sept '11 and I can happily say I fall asleep anywhere between midnight and 2am and wake up fully functional before 8:30 everyday. Just in time for classes to start up again. I'm quite proud of myself.

Perhaps I'll start a blog on how to attempt to treat sleep issues...

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Classes start at the same time every day for me so I typically go to bed between 12 and 3 and get up at around 10. And although I have a full schedule I have large gaps between classes. I love to take naps during the day because that's the only time I dream! Try sleeping exclusively on your back for short naps (like 1-2hrs). I think the sense of HAVING to get up to go to class may be what causes me to dream. It works for me... :)

2dgucz6.png

This week was the first week I had to wake up at 7:30 am every day. It was rough, but I gradually went from sleeping at 4-5 am to 1-2 am. My trick is to just go to bed at 11 pm, no matter what.

God I wish I could go back to bed right now.

hiccup.png

Get a kid.

Makes you wake up like a clockwork.

I go to bed at 11.30-0.30, wake up at 07.00, as does my 2-year old.

Granted, it's not ideal, sleeping in with a young kid is...well...nonexistent, but meh.

still getting like7 hours of sleep which is good enough. By the way, almost everbody dreams, but not everyone remembers all of their dreams. Especially after waking up, recollection of dreams start fading rapidly.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

I know why my mind doesn't have dreams.

*dreaming*

KNOCK KNOCK

Nick you awake??? Can you do me a favor?!

GOD DAMNIT

It was about my dog too, who passed away in June. This is the third time dreaming about him, though. :sad:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I wake up without any problems when i'm in the middle of the University year. That's not to say i always get a good nights sleep - far from it. I usually wake up 3-4 times which i believe severely affects the quality of my sleep. During holidays i used to sleep from about 2-3 am until close to noon. Recently i've managed to somehow get myself to wake up early (at 8 am) and just not sleep the whole day until about 11 pm. This way i seem to manage to wake up at about 8 am everyday even on holiday. The main thing for me is, if i have something interesting to do i'll wake up, otherwise i'll just lay in bed since i know the day will be a dragg.

I don't like going to bed late and waking up late as it gives me the feeling i've wasted the day, and if i try to do during the night (past 11pm) mental activities i just don't give a good performance. My brain just works better during the day, hence i deduced i need to force myself to sleep at night and not during the day.

Final1.jpg

Would've posted earlier this morning, but I had classes. Which means I don't remember my most memorable dream I had last night.

It involved two T-rexes who would fight by locking fists (like punching each other's fist, but keeping them touching). I dunno how one beat the other. Anyway, I can't remember more on that subject. But Professor Lupin from the Harry Potter series was in it for a moment, and he was chasing a house dog around (the house dog was scared [cabbage]less) and I realized that it was because Lupin was a werewolf, and for some reason I figured house dogs fear werewolves the most. I went to tell him this, but he knew already and told me to keep quiet because the T-rexes weren't allowed to find out, else something bad would happen.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Man, i do love my sleep. Too bad i don't really get enough of it.

Usually i would go to bed around 3am and wake up at 8am. I feel tired for most of the day but for some reason i just can't bring myself to sleep earlier.

@Nox;

Have you ever tried pulling a successful allnighter, so you could subsequently allow yourself to sleep when you're sufficiently tired at an appropriate? Most of the time I can't sleep because I find myself too engaged on RuneScape or Tip.it to be able to, but if I'm already too tired, that's impossible so I manage to go to bed and wake up with sufficient rest for my education. I think that's especially applicable to us, who happen to be gamers.

Having the commitment to pull an allnighter is rather difficult from personal experience - after a while you feel very drowsy, feeling almost like you would lose consciousness at any moment. Coffee and such would help, and you do have to allow an extra bit of sleep (2-3 hours more than you would normally feel is sufficient, which is 10 hours instead of 7.5 for me).

However, the difficulty doesn't discredit it nor mean that it's not worthwhile - it's a very quick way to get into the correct sleeping pattern. I'll have to admit the summer really screwed me over. Glad that's over now.

The weird world of dreaming >.>

Why do we do it anyways?

I remember talking about this in psychology class, and how no one really knows. It's one of those crazy mysteries.

But I hear that all characters in your dreams (i.e. humans) are people you've seen before in your life. It might just be a myth or something, though. But the thought of that is creepy. You have a dream and in it is a person who walked past you in the city who you just barely glanced at.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

@Nox;

Have you ever tried pulling a successful allnighter, so you could subsequently allow yourself to sleep when you're sufficiently tired at an appropriate? Most of the time I can't sleep because I find myself too engaged on RuneScape or Tip.it to be able to, but if I'm already too tired, that's impossible so I manage to go to bed and wake up with sufficient rest for my education. I think that's especially applicable to us, who happen to be gamers.

Having the commitment to pull an allnighter is rather difficult from personal experience - after a while you feel very drowsy, feeling almost like you would lose consciousness at any moment. Coffee and such would help, and you do have to allow an extra bit of sleep (2-3 hours more than you would normally feel is sufficient, which is 10 hours instead of 7.5 for me).

However, the difficulty doesn't discredit it nor mean that it's not worthwhile - it's a very quick way to get into the correct sleeping pattern. I'll have to admit the summer really screwed me over. Glad that's over now.

If i try to pull an allnighter i usually end up falling asleep around 3 or 4pm the following day. This will cause me to wake up at 7 or 8am the following morning putting me back at square 1.

I know exactly why i have trouble sleeping though. My days are filled with nothing. My body isn't physically tired and my mind does nothing during the day to tire it out either. Soon as i get back to Uni in November things will change again.