Hiscores poll

sees_all1

Planned website updates  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Jagex should implement their planned hiscores as described?

2. 2. Do you think free players should be included in the hiscores?

3. 3. Do you think Jagex should remove inactive players from the hiscores?

Isn't it possible that F2p players won't be shown on the hiscores but you can still enter their name and see their stats?

Lets hope so or else Jagex will have just killed all calculators and tracking websites for f2p. I suppose on a slightly positive note this could be an opportunity for dedicated f2p highscore websites being created by fans?

It is now so that if you are not ranked in the highscores your stats will still be in signatures and trackers (for example my strength level), so maybe they could just save that and those trackers would be no problem and you could even create your own highscore for f2p.

Your strength level shows because Tip.it's stat signatures are designed so that if you have one unranked skill it will calculate that level based on your total level.

When Jagex removed F2P highscores they'll also be removing the corresponding lite highscores for F2P which fansites use for stat tracking/signatures so F2P won't have any access to the skill levels outside of the game.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sees_all1: If that were true, then why develop the bot busting software? You're not presenting a coherent narrative.

Change "fire r&d" to "stop free game" and it might make more sense.

No, it still contradicts the bot busting software.

The free game was a shit heap long before bots started rising in P2P. I think it pissed enough members off that Jagex had to do something or there would've only been bots left.

Jagex broke the bots in P2P, F2P was just along for the ride.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

The free game was a shit heap long before bots started rising in P2P. I think it pissed enough members off that Jagex had to do something or there would've only been bots left.

Jagex broke the bots in P2P, F2P was just along for the ride.

A. That's irrelevant to my point. (That being that the comic is about someone who's about to retire not caring about long-term projects, but bot-busting is a long term type project)

B. If you think the free game has been a shit heap for a long time, then why do you care enough about f2p high scores to make a poll about it? Normally shit heaps don't have high scores, at least not on any of the farms I've seen them at.

B. If you think the free game has been a shit heap for a long time, then why do you care enough about f2p high scores to make a poll about it? Normally shit heaps don't have high scores, at least not on any of the farms I've seen them at.

Because making a poll took 30 seconds... You mad bro?

♪♪ And I'm not done

Because making a poll took 30 seconds... You mad bro?

I would venture to observe that it is indeed you who appears filled with vitriolic choler, my angry brother-in-arms.

Inactive players shouldn't be removed if they have a certain level. People who get level 50 then quit rs, sure remove them, but anyone with a significant total level or multiple 99 stats shouldn't be removed, since even the easiest 99's still require a good amount of time dedicated to reach it.

This.

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

Meanwhile, in England...

The Sun did a poll asking if we should stop foreign workers from taking British jobs, and the public overwhelmingly supported the idea, as they do for anything pro-nationalist that appears in The Sun. So... now I guess the government would be mad not to kick these bloody foreign doctors and engineers out of the country, right? The Daily Express also did a poll asking whether people would like to pay no tax whatsoever... if the majority of people don't want to pay tax, then for the love of God they shouldn't have to, surely?

If you're having to refer to the populist bandwagon to "prove" that your argument is "right", I'll take it as a conceit that you have no confidence about winning the debate through reasoned logic.

If you're having to refer to the populist bandwagon to "prove" that your argument is "right", I'll take it as a conceit that you have no confidence about winning the debate through reasoned logic.

And which post are you referring to, or are you just trolling?

♪♪ And I'm not done

No, they should not implement their planned highscore update (because, see below)

Yes, F2P are also a part of the community, so they also have the right to be a part of the Highscores

This question was bad, OFC I want Bots to get deleted from the HS, but not non-active players.

This whole thread, and no I'm not trolling. You could've carried this debate on in the thread that already existed, but no, you wanted a poll, as if that would provide the Holy Grail you've been looking for to keep F2P hiscores open. I'm just placing in the caveat that even if you get 100% of people supporting you, you can still be wrong, and actually, the number of people who agree with you is largely an irrelevence unless Jagex decide to open a referendum on the issue (which they won't, so why bother holding one of your own when it carries no weight at all?).

This whole thread, and no I'm not trolling. You could've carried this debate on in the thread that already existed, but no, you wanted a poll, as if that would provide the Holy Grail you've been looking for to keep F2P hiscores open. I'm just placing in the caveat that even if you get 100% of people supporting you, you can still be wrong, and actually, the number of people who agree with you is largely an irrelevence unless Jagex decide to open a referendum on the issue (which they won't, so why bother holding one of your own when it carries no weight at all?).

We know that Jagex frequents fan sites, even if they do not post. Arguments are everywhere, and it doesn't provide a tidy summary of what everyone think. Sometimes the most vocal minority out-shout the majority because they care more.

Also, if Jagex does go through with this update, we can see that of the people that care about the hiscores, 90% don't want this update. Ignoring 90% of your customers has never been a healthy business decision. Oh, and the way I know the number is 90% is because of that poll.

♪♪ And I'm not done

"Not wanting" something to happen and actually doing something to stop it are two seperate things. That's what makes a poor business decision, and you know it. You haven't even touched the real question that needs asking here in order to decide if this is a poor business decision, "Would you quit as a P2P player if Jagex carried on their plans to remove F2P players from the hiscores?"

Worse still, even if you did have the balls to ask that, you wouldn't follow it up with another poll in three months time checking if people who said they'd quit actually did so.

You haven't even touched the real question that needs asking here in order to decide if this is a poor business decision, "Would you quit as a P2P player if Jagex carried on their plans to remove F2P players from the hiscores?"

Worse still, even if you did have the balls to ask that, you wouldn't follow it up with another poll in three months time checking if people who said they'd quit actually did so.

As a P2P player, I will quit if Jagex goes through with this.

♪♪ And I'm not done

"Not wanting" something to happen and actually doing something to stop it are two seperate things. That's what makes a poor business decision, and you know it. You haven't even touched the real question that needs asking here in order to decide if this is a poor business decision, "Would you quit as a P2P player if Jagex carried on their plans to remove F2P players from the hiscores?"

*sigh* Yes, people actively quitting in droves would be the strongest possible way for the playerbase to tell Jagex that we don't like what they're doing. That does not make it the only way to do so. Word of mouth advertising is what made Runescape successful, back in the day. That can go the other direction as well, and massively negative word of mouth ought to be almost as scary as people quitting in droves to Jagex. Just because someone isn't willing to quit over something doesn't mean their opinion against something should be ignored. (And after all, if they quit, why would Jagex care about what they think anyway? They aren't paying customers any more.)

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I agree that vehement opposition should suffice in any normal and natural surroundings to convince parties involved at least to rethink their decision. Jagex has proven more often than not that such opposition as we have seen with this announcement is not especially fruitful.

In another thread, Tripsis mentioned that this coming update has been in the works for a fair amount of time. Revealing the update a week prior to its release (although there was a preview in the BTS for November !) was certainly meant to project and dampen the reaction that would have ensued without such forewarning. Tactically quite an intriguing move. The whole point of the information was to give F2Ps a heads-up that they would no longer appear in the hiscores, AND YET the information only appeared in the "In other news..." section, although it was the pivotal part of the whole announcement. For this reason, I think they were well aware of the possibility of a mass quit, but prevented it in this way.

Next week, if at all, only a small portion of the member base will be willing to quit. And why would they? They have nothing to lose by continuing to be members (until they end up quitting on their own accord, at which point the lack of hiscores doesn't matter anyway). And yet, by discontinuing their membership, they lose not only their leisure activity but don't even have anything to show for the effort they put into it in the past.

We know that Jagex frequents fan sites, even if they do not post. Arguments are everywhere, and it doesn't provide a tidy summary of what everyone think. Sometimes the most vocal minority out-shout the majority because they care more.

Also, if Jagex does go through with this update, we can see that of the people that care about the hiscores, 90% don't want this update. Ignoring 90% of your customers has never been a healthy business decision. Oh, and the way I know the number is 90% is because of that poll.

The poll says 80% when I look at it.

The poll is obviously unreliable, as are all self-selected polls.

*sigh* Yes, people actively quitting in droves would be the strongest possible way for the playerbase to tell Jagex that we don't like what they're doing. That does not make it the only way to do so. Word of mouth advertising is what made Runescape successful, back in the day. That can go the other direction as well, and massively negative word of mouth ought to be almost as scary as people quitting in droves to Jagex. Just because someone isn't willing to quit over something doesn't mean their opinion against something should be ignored. (And after all, if they quit, why would Jagex care about what they think anyway? They aren't paying customers any more.)

So... in not deciding to ragequit, they're evidence that the game is worth playing, but they'll tell other people the game is not worth playing. Can anyone possibly design a finer contradiction?

As a P2P player, I will quit if Jagex goes through with this.

That's quite some distance short of claiming that a significant amount of people who voted in favour of F2P hiscores will leave with you, isn't it? You're trying to assume a bridge between "P2Pers not liking update x", and "There will be less P2Pers if update x goes through", but the reality is your questions only validate the former, and don't even mention the latter. So in conclusion, the only thing standing inbetween Jagex and the removal of F2P players from the hiscores is... your personal testimony.

I don't fancy your chances, and we all know that at some point this coming Monday to Wednesday, the inevitable will happen, because Jagex simply don't agree that this is poor business.

The poll says 80% when I look at it.

The poll is obviously unreliable, as are all self-selected polls.

It does say 80% under the category of "no", but when you remove the people that don't care, it becomes 90%.

♪♪ And I'm not done

So... in not deciding to ragequit, they're evidence that the game is worth playing, but they'll tell other people the game is not worth playing. Can anyone possibly design a finer contradiction?

They're evidence that for someone who's been playing for a while already, it's still worth playing, but they may tell others that it may not be worth starting from scratch. Not a contradiction at all.

Also, they don't need to tell others that it isn't worth playing - it doesn't have to be that explicit to cause a problem. Just talking with friends about the latest dumb thing that happened to their game would turn those friends off from playing it (or returning if they used to play and previously quit). Bad publicity is bad publicity.

It does say 80% under the category of "no", but when you remove the people that don't care, it becomes 90%.

...no, that's not how statistics work...

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

That's how cross tabulating works.

♪♪ And I'm not done

That's how cross tabulating works.

I checked, and I'm pretty sure it's not. If you were taking two questions and showing how they interact, that would be cross tabulating (or at least it might be, depending how you did it). Blatantly ignoring one of the three options on a single question is not that. (If it is, mind explaining? I'd love to learn, honestly; I hadn't heard that term before.)

Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

While I do not really care whether or not F2P are in the highscores, I think it's a pretty awful move to take something away from F2P that's been there for so many years.

This.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

who cares about f2p players. they don't pay so why should they have any voice in the matter? i pay for my members so i expect 100% access to the game. if you don't pay for the game then you shouldn't even be allowed out of tutorial island. be happy they let you further then that.