the price of chins...

Mh1456

If he values his time high enough to chin 99 range (which isn't really that high of an income rate), why would he waste his time getting the chins himself? That clearly defeats the purpose.

If enough players farmed them en mass, the price would come back down. So in a longer run, he could make a heavy profit by farming chins now, selling them at their bloated price, and then when the price comes back down, buy them for the reduced cost. He won't gather nearly as many as he'll end up buying, and rather than the whole process costing him, he'll still turn a profit.

Runescape is all around capitalism, and now that our cheap labor (bots) is gone, prices are going to rise as the goods saturating the market slowly make their way out. You can either complain, or you can try to be part of the solution.

Exactly where I was coming from, I can feel the GP just calling me! :pray:

Personally, I hate how being inefficient is being encouraged now. But whatever, I'll keep it clam and avoid a ban.

Take it easy there tiger, breathe.

I play the game in a manner that I personally find fun. Im in no huge rush to max out or complete this game as I enjoy the progression just as much as being able to say 'omg guys, i have 99 farmz!'. I would rather take a little longer and in the end, Ill get to the same place eventually.

If I am seeking a thrill then I go do a quest or some slayer...otherwise my preference is totally chilling out and having fun, for me progression comes naturally as part of the way I play :thumbup:

35cq0q9.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he values his time high enough to chin 99 range (which isn't really that high of an income rate), why would he waste his time getting the chins himself? That clearly defeats the purpose.

If enough players farmed them en mass, the price would come back down. So in a longer run, he could make a heavy profit by farming chins now, selling them at their bloated price, and then when the price comes back down, buy them for the reduced cost. He won't gather nearly as many as he'll end up buying, and rather than the whole process costing him, he'll still turn a profit.

Runescape is all around capitalism, and now that our cheap labor (bots) is gone, prices are going to rise as the goods saturating the market slowly make their way out. You can either complain, or you can try to be part of the solution.

That "heavy profit" isn't high enough to justify doing it. When it can compete with glacors and similar, you will have a point. Let the people who don't care about being completely inefficient hunt for chins, make cballs, etc. You alone aren't going to cause enough of an impact in the market, so let others who think hunting them is fun or falsely think they are efficient to do hunt them.

I don't get why you are convinced he will turn a profit by wasting his time with a subpar way of getting chins. Time has value so even though he will be "profiting," it won't be worth the extra time.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

That "heavy profit" isn't high enough to justify doing it. When it can compete with glacors and similar, you will have a point. Let the people who don't care about being completely inefficient hunt for chins, make cballs, etc. You alone aren't going to cause enough of an impact in the market, so let others who think hunting them is fun or falsely think they are efficient to do hunt them.

I don't get why you are convinced he will turn a profit by wasting his time with a subpar way of getting chins. Time has value so even though he will be "profiting," it won't be worth the extra time.

It's a simple case of if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Runescape has an economy based on supply and demand, and rather than come up with an actual solution, the OP just wants Jagex to regulate the market price down to a point he considers fair. Do you honestly think Chin sellers won't just trade outside of the Grand Exchange if Jagex were to implement such an update?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I've cleaned up the last little bit of this thread as it's gone way off topic. Neither side is going to budge so let's just drop it and discuss the economics side of red chins, not whether it's worth hunting them or not; that's something for the help and advice forum.

I've cleaned up the last little bit of this thread as it's gone way off topic. Neither side is going to budge so let's just drop it and discuss the economics side of red chins, not whether it's worth hunting them or not; that's something for the help and advice forum.

Supply-side economics says these two discussions are inseparably linked.

I bought all the usables I needed when I heard about the bot nuke. It's your fault for not preparing.

So how much money/h is it to hunt red chins now? Dat 99 hunt isn't getting a lot of use these days, might give it a try.

2480+ total

Supply-side economics says these two discussions are inseparably linked.

Yeah your right, what I should have said is to stop arguing over whether you should play efficient or not. It was veering towards the fun vs. efficient argument again which is discussed to death elsewhere.

Well, times change. Prices are worth what people will pay for them. Out of curiosity, is it possible for chins to reach a price where they aren't profitable enough to hunt (compared to other alternatives) and yet still be too expensive to buy?

I also wonder, from an efficiency standpoint, could hunting chins be worth it to combine hunt exp with saving on chins?

...At any rate. RS is an MMO with a capitalist economy. Asking Jagex to nerf prices is either asking to return to the times where certain items were unbuyable on the GE because no one would sell them at the price the GE said they were worth, or to completely get rid of the GE and Free Trade altogether and move towards a more "single player" economic system, with NPCs buying and selling unlimited items at a fixed rate.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Items are worth what they are worth. The only way Jagex can make a fixed price on an item is a shop that sells an infinite (or at least a greater supply of the item then players buying them) amount of that item at a fixed rate. Basically, shards, certain construction items, and skilling tools such as hammers, crafting molds, fishing gear are the only items that meet this description.

You missed out on the time it takes to buy said items from said shops. Look at tinderboxes for instance.

Or vials/feathers/runes - although these are limited in stock.

Anyway, the price of Red chins are pretty insane right now. I wonder if the cash made hunting them would make then a better choice than Jadinkos .

93959819.png

Leaaf.png

Well, times change. Prices are worth what people will pay for them. Out of curiosity, is it possible for chins to reach a price where they aren't profitable enough to hunt (compared to other alternatives) and yet still be too expensive to buy?

That's not a fine demarcation. You're always going to have some small % of people who want to use chins for fun, regardless of the efficiency. And then you could have chins being efficient range xp for only a super small percentage of people, so that you could say they're practically without a use. So if you set a hard number, like "is it possible that for 99% of people chins aren't profitable to hunt, and for those same 99% of people chins would be too expensive to buy," yes that's very possible. For 100%, you'd have to have at the very least chins be strictly dominated by another ranged training method, and also they'd have to be not that profitable to hunt. Of course, the strict domination would lead to the second condition. (Where strict domination means that that from x-99 ranged, there's always a method that's both cheaper and faster than red chins, where x is whatever you need to use red chins)

"I also wonder, from an efficiency standpoint, could hunting chins be worth it to combine hunt exp with saving on chins?"

Of course, the standard efficiency formula would apply here for anyone seeking hunter xp. (set up equations for ( hunter xp + money)vs time, then plug in money = income rate * time, to obtain solutions in terms of income rate, to show which ranges of incomes should use which training methods)

Ya know, this is a “lose-lose" kind of debate from the get-go. OP wants Jagex to “fix” prices on a product in order that he can train faster for cheaper. It’s going to immediately start an argument.

Suggesting that OP “Do It Yourself” is pointless. If he was inspired to D.I.Y., then he would have done so in the first place, and not bothered wasting time with his ridiculous original rant.

Suggesting that he’s more interested in efficient game-play is likewise pointless – if all he wanted to do was train efficiently, he wouldn’t be [bleep]ing about the cost.

As such, anyone offering him advice – for any reason whatsoever -- is, for the most part, wasting their time.

Of course, this is why this thread is in “rants” and not in “Help & Advice”.

:facepalm:

nyuseg.png

me too.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Ya know, this is a lose-lose" kind of debate from the get-go. OP wants Jagex to fix prices on a product in order that he can train faster for cheaper. Its going to immediately start an argument.

Suggesting that OP Do It Yourself is pointless. If he was inspired to D.I.Y., then he would have done so in the first place, and not bothered wasting time with his ridiculous original rant.

Suggesting that hes more interested in efficient game-play is likewise pointless if all he wanted to do was train efficiently, he wouldnt be [bleep]ing about the cost.

As such, anyone offering him advice for any reason whatsoever -- is, for the most part, wasting their time.

Of course, this is why this thread is in rants and not in Help & Advice.

:facepalm:

This comment is incorrect for two reasons. First, it commits the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses; in this case a false dilemma is presented. Everyone responding to the OP is free to take positions that do not fall into either the DIY camp or the efficiency camp. Second, it ignores the practical fact that actual advice offered to the actual OP was in fact found useful. When one's theoretical argument offers one a conclusion contrafactual to the actual observed data, it is time to reexamine one's assumptions.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a simple case of if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Runescape has an economy based on supply and demand, and rather than come up with an actual solution, the OP just wants Jagex to regulate the market price down to a point he considers fair. Do you honestly think Chin sellers won't just trade outside of the Grand Exchange if Jagex were to implement such an update?

In reality "supply and demand" economics because the average person isn't hitted directly by it. - There's lot of sellers & buyers inbetween before the customer gets an item - and those normalize the prices preventing big fluctuations..

RS has since the GE gained a terrible economy, without inbetween sellers there's no smooth price flow & only short selling is encouraged. This is terrible & I've taken a stance to not do anything with it.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Why do people think its bad skillers can profit?

You would like it if you were the hunter. Judging by your stats you seem that you focus a lot of your time on combat. Maybe try skilling. Its nice boss killing, dicing and item flipping aren't the only ways to make a decent profit anymore. Also for the insane exp per hour of chin I think its okay to come at a costly price.

Personally, I hate how being inefficient is being encouraged now. But whatever, I'll keep it clam and avoid a ban.

By your logic Hedge, we should demand that Jagex removes 85% of the game and introduce teleport to Smoke Well in Pollniiveach so people can insta teleport and go camp for effigies... just because some retarded kid with tons of spare time and money to buy money from goldselling sites, doesn't mean we should follow his example and become efficient to the extreme...... I play this game for enjoyment, and by enjoyment I mean quest, slowly grinding stats etc....

default,Adellund.gif

Why do people think its bad skillers can profit?

You would like it if you were the hunter. Judging by your stats you seem that you focus a lot of your time on combat. Maybe try skilling. Its nice boss killing, dicing and item flipping aren't the only ways to make a decent profit anymore. Also for the insane exp per hour of chin I think its okay to come at a costly price.

By your logic Hedge, we should demand that Jagex removes 85% of the game and introduce teleport to Smoke Well in Pollniiveach so people can insta teleport and go camp for effigies... just because some retarded kid with tons of spare time and money to buy money from goldselling sites, doesn't mean we should follow his example and become efficient to the extreme...... I play this game for enjoyment, and by enjoyment I mean quest, slowly grinding stats etc....

Actually, you didn't follow his logic at all.

I've never seen anyone encourage inefficiency. I've seen many people say to do it however you enjoy, which is different. I've also seen people say the efficiency freaks are ridiculous. And they are, kind of.

But yeah, nobody encourages inefficiency. Nobody says "hurf durf go play FOG instead of bursting lobs or skeletons, it's better", they say "if you want to have fun instead of grind and get there faster, do FOG".

PM me for fitocracy invite

I've never seen anyone encourage inefficiency. I've seen many people say to do it however you enjoy, which is different. I've also seen people say the efficiency freaks are ridiculous. And they are, kind of.

But yeah, nobody encourages inefficiency. Nobody says "hurf durf go play FOG instead of bursting lobs or skeletons, it's better", they say "if you want to have fun instead of grind and get there faster, do FOG".

0/10

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER