firemaking's curse

turothking

Id rather they just remove the skill altogether and transfer your fm xp to whatever the next released skill is.

I second this, but only after they also remove Runecraft and combine Attack and Strength into melee.

You know, do the things that should be done that a lot of players will hate them for. [spiritually] repeat Dec 07.

Glad I didn't do too much FM in the past few days... Not that I even needed that many levels lol.

2dgucz6.png

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Jagex releases quests with low requirements, they rant. Then when Jagex finally gives in and makes a quest with a decent requirement, shit hits the fan and they reduce it to a level which takes a day to get.

Sometimes people need to skill to access content, why can't people accept that and just leave it?

hzyi3.gif

Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature!

I'm glad they lowered the quest requirements but added material where only higher skill levels can benefit. This has been a cool technique Jagex has employed with One Piercing Note (prayer books), Thieve's Guild (expanding), Rag and Bone Man, and others.

Yes, just like elite tasks there can be elite level quests. However, I think at that point such quests would be necessary for trimmed quest capes. Even then, it's reasonable to base elite levels on a percentage of players at that time that have the levels. 5% to 10% sounds like a good thing to aim at.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

My main issue with the level requirement was

why are you making a special minigame for people that are only going to train for 9 more levels that they don't need

(this is largely why I'm against aimless complaints like "why isn't this high leveled content" when it's sort of pointless if you make it for people who don't even need this kind of training...one of the many problems of livid farm)

high level content needs to be special in that it's actually something that can be considered valuable in its own right, without breaking everything that makes the game challenging, or being so ridiculous that nobody who gets it will actually care (like a cape that requires so many castle wars games which don't contribute anything to the player experience)

and that's really hard to pin down for more than a few situations

however, my annoyance with the change was mostly because they did it so late in the process rather than take that into REAL consideration or even discuss the idea

they give the impression that they don't think a lot of these decisions through, which I can't tell is true or not, but it's just bad for them

Also, not everyone has the slayer to handle the jadinko lair.

You don't need slayer levels (or ANY levels) to enter the lair, and the creatures aren't aggressive, so as long as you don't accidentally hit a mutant with your axe, you're good to go.

You are all assuming that there is only a grindy way of training firemaking. There's more than one way to get xp without click click clicking logs for days.

People can light the torches in mort myre swamps, light beacons around runescape and the wilderness or by using the blast furnace. Not everyone is obsessed with efficiency iand there are bound to be at least some people that will enjoy lighting beacons in order to level up their firemaking to be able to do the quest.

Players are also free to use up any lamps, books, jot, penguin points, dragonkin lamsp and troll invasion exp on firemaking too.

I welcome the level 90 requirement even if it is in a less "important" skill.

1. Have you actually TRIED to get bark from those hollow trees? It's easy to fail at getting any after hacking away for a minute or so. With 90+ woodcutting. Also, hundreds of aggressive vampires and leeches, which may not be that dangerous to high levels, but are still a constant drain, if not just plain annoying.

2. Beacons take forever to burn out and are largely impractical for training due to the time it takes to load each beacon and bank, moreso because the wilderness increases the chances that a random jerk will kill you on a run, meaning that you're not going to risk anything higher than maple, which is barely worth more than it would take to burn the logs manually.

3. The oven fills up after about a minute or so....spent shoveling at a rate of FIVE exp per scoop.

Let me guess, you're going to bring up dorgeshuun light orbs next. Go ahead. Say it's viable. Let me TEAR INTO THAT.

additional edit: while you're doing dg and your wc level is high, this tends to cause many, many high tier trees to spawn, so that solves the problem of having to find one

8f14270694.jpg

I find it rather annoying that they decide to

Mahogany and teak logs now have a "Craft" option

right after they announce the 90lv fm quest requirement!

[img=rageguy.jpg]

Removing the single left click firemaking option, just to slow us down while we are working for the quest requirements; well done Jagex, the master troll.

ikr, just read it myself on the forum :/

its really stupic in my opinion, but oh well, jadinko lair is still quicker xp i suppose (than teaks anyways)

btw u do realise they also made the quest req lvl 74 right? (also pretty dumb but thats my opinion)

Turothking.png

why are you making a special minigame for people that are only going to train for 9 more levels that they don't need

A lot of people want to max so its hardly "un-needed."

Plus sure it may be only 9 more levels, but those 9 levels account for over half the xp to 99.

When looking at training methods in terms of usefulness due to levels left to max I find it ridiculously misleading to consider levels because of the xp curve, especially in the top end where 6.5m-ish marks level 92 and 13m-ish marks 99 so in the last 7 levels you have half the entire xp to gain.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

A lot of people want to max so its hardly "un-needed."

Plus sure it may be only 9 more levels, but those 9 levels account for over half the xp to 99.

When looking at training methods in terms of usefulness due to levels left to max I find it ridiculously misleading to consider levels because of the xp curve, especially in the top end where 6.5m-ish marks level 92 and 13m-ish marks 99 so in the last 7 levels you have half the entire xp to gain.

someone give this guy a cookie :D

ya i also find it stupid to go by lvls instead of xp. i mean i have about 460 lvls till im maxed total, but that is over 200-300m xp lol (and i only have 100m now)

also even if i am 99 fm i still might do the fm minigame just because sometimes it is fun to do something else than skilling or cb, even thought i enjoy both ;)

Turothking.png

How clear is the change? I can see people not realizing the requirement has been nerfed, training to 90 Firemaking, then finding out after the quest comes out that they didn't need to...

Anyway, I don't do quests, but I'm going for 99 Firemaking at the moment, so thanks for telling me about curly roots. :)

Eh? Wut?

Where does it say that? Dang, wasted my pengy points :angry:

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

How clear is the change? I can see people not realizing the requirement has been nerfed, training to 90 Firemaking, then finding out after the quest comes out that they didn't need to...

Anyway, I don't do quests, but I'm going for 99 Firemaking at the moment, so thanks for telling me about curly roots. :)

Eh? Wut?

Where does it say that? Dang, wasted my pengy points :angry:

mod mark says it in a new post in the "futue update" forum at the official forum ;)

Turothking.png

What pisses me off is the fact that Jagex have once again bowed to the wingers & whiners on the RSOF. When Behind the Scenes was released I was a mere Level 84 Firemaking & I made the decision to train for the next 2 days to get to 90 so I could do Quest upon release.

Did I enjoy it - NO.

Did it generate me any GP - NO.

Do I consider it a waste of my time - YES.

Sometimes it is actually nice to have a goal to work towards, would I have trained firemaking if this Quest didn't have the 90 requirement, I can honestly say No I wouldn't.

Jagex - All I ask is you stop giving in to people far too easily. In real life you do actually have to work to achieve things!!!

the_lad_1.png

What pisses me off is the fact that Jagex have once again bowed to the wingers & whiners on the RSOF. When Behind the Scenes was released I was a mere Level 84 Firemaking & I made the decision to train for the next 2 days to get to 90 so I could do Quest upon release.

Did I enjoy it - NO.

Did it generate me any GP - NO.

Do I consider it a waste of my time - YES.

Sometimes it is actually nice to have a goal to work towards, would I have trained firemaking if this Quest didn't have the 90 requirement, I can honestly say No I wouldn't.

Jagex - All I ask is you stop giving in to people far too easily. In real life you do actually have to work to achieve things!!!

I can't say that this is a healthy approach to a game, though... :uhh:

I was level 86 when the quest was announced. I said to myself "This is great motivation for me to get a few more Firemaking levels." I just got 90 last night as it were. :thumbsup:

Inb4youtellmethatyoudontneed90firemakinganymore

It's an MMORPG. That's par the course.

It just makes no sense to lower the reqs and saying it's because they want more people to "experience this great story". Does that mean they don't intend to make the quest cape as difficult to get as a most higher-end capes, like they said? Does that mean all high level quests will have crappy stories because they want 'more people to experience it'?

Hopefully I'm not the only person that sounds absolutely absurd to.

Meh, at the end of the day, I'll still be able to do the quest. I just hope this isn't going to keep happening.

hzvjpwS.gif

It just makes no sense to lower the reqs and saying it's because they want more people to "experience this great story". Does that mean they don't intend to make the quest cape as difficult to get as a most higher-end capes, like they said? Does that mean all high level quests will have crappy stories because they want 'more people to experience it'?

WGS and RotM say hi.

It's an MMORPG. That's par the course.

Hopefully I'm not the only person that sounds absolutely absurd to.

Meh, at the end of the day, I'll still be able to do the quest. I just hope this isn't going to keep happening.

I think they want to up the cape requirements; but in this case there were two factors in play:

1) Firemaking has been promised a big overhaul for a time, but to date it is still a largely useless skill; aside from those seeking maxing out. Asking players to train such a skill to a high level obviously has flaws, so they probably decide to divert going too high until after fm has been made more useful.

2) The jump between prior fm reqs and this was rather massive. While skill reqs do generally increase, they don;t really do MASSIVE leaps, each skill tends to have a few sub-40 reqs then slowly the level needed for it rises as more quests come.

The combination of such a big req jump on a useless skill does provide a compelling reason to not quite do it; in this case I'd imagine a third factor came into play as well: Hype.

Jagex hyped this quest as runefest, wasn't there even a workshop where attendees helped design a character that appears in the quest?

Plus the whole name/personality making contests AND the poll to pick the final one.

All in all the mass of hype probably swept up a lot of lower level players and thus spun out a fair bit of resentment when suddenly they get locked out by a rather high requirement.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

while the requirements per level do scale up dramatically near the end, the BENEFITS per level almost zero out at that point

which is to say, sure they need the most exp to level, but they have the least actual motivation to do it besides maxing, which while emotionally satisfying and a step closer to the max cape, is an arbitrary goalpost set by capes that doesn't actually represent any additional gain in power for most skills

meanwhile, everybody below 90 may have some sort of thing they need to be able to do, like access fiyr shades (which, up until a certain time, only dropped up to rune armor anyway) or increase their chances of getting a good drop from chewed bones, but they're not gonna get a lick of help until curly roots

it's either make the skill more interesting, or make it less tedious, not make it more tedious to make it less tedious to train after you've gotten to the point where you don't need to train for the main benefits

8f14270694.jpg

it's either make the skill more interesting, or make it less tedious, not make it more tedious to make it less tedious to train after you've gotten to the point where you don't need to train for the main benefits

So then don't make any high level quests until basically every aspect in runescape is retooled to remove the grind, ignoring the fact that this is an MMORPG and grinding is part of the game.

It's a lovely ideal but it's seriously impractical. In the meantime we'll deprive ourselves--we, not Jagex, because we complain as a majority--of further incentives to explore boring content, or to reobtain a quest cape. A cape, by the way, which does nothing for the average player except for being pretty at the moment yet has the ability to actually be difficult to obtain if people weren't so gun-shy.

I don't know, I just really don't agree with your viewpoints.

hzvjpwS.gif

They should start with boosting rewards from existing fm-related stuff. I always liked burning pyres and stuff like that, but wouldn't do it because the rewards were so poor.

2480+ total

if the high level content is just more experience, nothing is being added here

perhaps you would like to reread that

I'm aware of what I wrote. And I don't agree with high level content not adding or changing anything.

hzvjpwS.gif

well it is a quest aimed at high level firemakers, so of course the level req will be high (duh?) and as i have said earlier getting 90 can be achieved in a couple of days if you put ur mind to it.

also, of course the level req's for quest wil get higher and higher, because the skills just get easier to train as jagex release new ways to train them.

I get the intent but its pretty stupid to ask players to invest THAT many hours on a skill pointless before and after the quest.

What skill would you have them train to lvl 90 then? Would have to be something relatively easy and fast to train imo.

Ring_World no the average player would not train with maples, not if they are 83 fm.

or haven't you heard of curly roots in jadinko lair? its free and 200-300k xp/h

I started out training with 75 fm. I made it to 79 fm before I saw the announcement. And I've been the owner of a questcape for years.

it seems stupid to me that so many people are complaining bacause of the firemaking lvl req in the upcoming quest. its supposed to be a hig lvl fm quest right? :P

and besides you can easily get to lvl 90 fm.

i spent 3 days at the jadinko lair and got from 92-99, wich was over 6m xp, so the 4-5m xp from the latest higher fm req for a quest (lvl 71) is easily achievable

Anyone find it annoying when people say they can get X skill level in Y number of days? Seriously, do these guys think we know how long they spend playing every day to put their dismissive statement into context?

sorry about that. i spent a good amount of time every day doing firemaking, but i am not quite sure how much. maybe 8-ish hours i think

16 hours is a lot more then the average person can spend on RS in 3 days. Hence why I think measuring what you do in RS in terms of days is stupid.

Id rather they just remove the skill altogether and transfer your fm xp to whatever the next released skill is.

I second this, but only after they also remove Runecraft and combine Attack and Strength into melee.

You know, do the things that should be done that a lot of players will hate them for. [spiritually] repeat Dec 07.

Glad I didn't do too much FM in the past few days... Not that I even needed that many levels lol.

I'd honestly support this.

Overall, I was kind of looking forward to seeing the QP more elite, and 90 was an obtainable goal for me. I'm not sad to see it gone because I've got better things I could do as well :P

Ultimately, one of the major flaws in RS is probably like half the skills are useless or useless outside of unlocking ways to train the skill faster.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.