Bachmann pulls out of race

Crocefisso

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-16416324

I can remember there being a great deal of discussion around the time of August's straw poll on OT about the amusing Republican line-up, in particular Bachmann. My own view is that, seeing as Bachmann was never going to get anywhere near office, I would've liked her to stay the course of the primaries to continue entertaining us from the frontline of politics. On the other hand, her poor showing in the Iowa caucus has partially restored my confidence in the American electorate (though the fact that Santorum came second is a little disheartening).

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Yeah, when the Junior Senator from Illinois beat out Heavyweight Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nominee for 2008 and then went on to win the Presidency, I was a bit disheartened too. How can someone who's only accomplishment is running for office become President of the United States?

Don't worry, all will be right within a year.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I'm glad this nutjob is out of the race. There are many that say she's going to have a hard time winning her own district in the fall up here in Minnesnowta.

On a side note, I have a hard time believing that Obama is going to lose to any of the remaining candidates.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Well, seeing the candidates, I think the U.S. is [bleep]ed.

Yep. Though I have to see, I HAVE been interested in these candidates if only for their entertainment value, and for that, this is a sad day.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Compared to the others, Ron Paul actually sounds okay, but still doesn't have my vote.

Also, the way Obama has been acting the last past year, he's lost my vote. I'm not voting for anyone now.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Compared to the others, Ron Paul actually sounds okay, but still doesn't have my vote.

Also, the way Obama has been acting the last past year, he's lost my vote. I'm not voting for anyone now.

If you don't vote, you're giving the Founding Father's a big middle finger. :angry:

(and you become a terrorist)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

If you don't vote, you're giving the Founding Father's a big middle finger. :angry:

Then maybe we shouldn't be voting for candidates that give us citizens a big middle finger once in office.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Then maybe we shouldn't be voting for candidates that give us citizens a big middle finger once in office.

Then run yourself! George Washington was but a simple farmer, and he became first president of the United States of America.

America: you can be anythiiiiiing!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Then run yourself! George Washington was but a simple farmer, and he became first president of the United States of America.

America: with money, you can be anythiiiiiing!

Fix'd

Cute attempt. Not going to bait into it, though.

Although it probably makes the more ignorant masses happy.

Cute attempt. Not going to bait into it, though.

Although it probably makes the more ignorant masses happy.

I'm being entirely honest. You're not unhappy with your current situation, as an american ?

As an Australian, I'm thankful to live there and be a citizen. We've got it pretty sweet. Can't complain about much (although everyone does).

Of course I'm very upset. However, us concerned citizens are the minority in the sea of ignorant [wagon]es.

It I had my own way, I would be living somewhere outside of the United States.

Well, I've been following the presidential race somewhat closely, considering I don't live in the US. I've got a few impressions about most of the candidates, and can say I'm quite happy about Bachmann being out of the race :P I've feared the Tea party would be gaining more influence and might be putting up the presidential candidate.

Ron Paul and Mitt Romney both seem decent to me. Not exactly what I would want as a president, but okay I guess. Don't know much about Rick Santorum though.

Of course I'm very upset. However, us concerned citizens are the minority in the sea of ignorant [wagon]es.

It I had my own way, I would be living somewhere outside of the United States.

I can say the same for my situation as a Canadian citizen, especially since Harper got the majority. Then again it was pretty hard to decide who to vote for.

Good news. I was shocked by Rick Santorum's position, though. I haven't heard much about him anywhere outside of Comedy Central.

I think I'll end up voting for Mitt Romney (as he seems like the only sane Republican candidate) in the Michigan Primary, but I haven't decided for the general election yet. Obama finally developed a leadership roll and actually began fulfilling some campaign promises in 2011, so I was impressed by that. However, I think my views match closer to Romeny's with the exception of a few social issues (which I'm more apathetic about anyway). I'll wait to see how things play out later this year before making my decision, I suppose.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I was surprised to see Santorum do so well. We'll see how he fairs next week in NH.

My current support is with Ron Paul, so we'll see how he does in the coming caucuses.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I've feared the Tea party would be gaining more influence and might be putting up the presidential candidate.

This certainly worried me earlier in the year (even as a non-American who doesn't live there), but I think that the debt ceiling fiasco in August was the height of Tea Party political power. Any sane person who was previously a Tea Partier certainly won't be after seeing how the debt ceiling was manipulated for political gain. I hope end expect their five minutes of fame to be over a few years from now.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

Apparently I have dual citizenship since my mom is american, even though I was born in Canada and never once requested american citizenship.

Oh well, still don't care what happens. RON PAUL 2012

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

To everyone that hates the tea party but loves the intellectual grandfather of the tea party Ron Paul... #-o

Actually, no, I understand it. If you had to pick any GOP candidate, you choose the one that's for the decriminalization of drugs, an isolationist policy, and a hands off approach to everything not specifically mentioned in the Constitution (i.e. abortion). But when you're faced between Ron Paul, who aligns with your views only because his principles mandate complete social freedom and limited federal government, and another (generic Democrat) who completely aligns with your views (food, medicine and money for everyone, complete social freedom, super regulated "markets" because corporations are evil), well let's be honest. You'd pick the latter because you're a progressive liberal at heart and not a conservative libertarian.

The people that Ron Paul appeal to in a primary are not the same ones that would vote for him in a general election.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

^ This is very true. Ron Paul is rather more atavistic than progressive, and while this means he has some common ground with progressive liberals, at the end of the day he is not going to succeed in taking votes from Obama's lot.

But it's also important to remember the reason why people support Ron Paul and dismiss the Tea Party: the former manages to communicate his ideas in a rather rational and articulate manner, thereby attracting at least in part any sane people attracted to liberal or libertarian ideologies; the latter is a frenzied group of buffoons that, though perhaps similar in ideals, is nevertheless not closely associated with Paul (instead, Bachmann, Palin et al are more closely associated), who go around waving misspelt and/or racist signs in DC.

The point being that Paul markets similar ideals in a sane manner, and it's understandable why someone who shares at least some ideological grounding with him would be frustrated by similarly inclined idiots making a joke out of their political stance.