The Back Room

stevepole

I was thinking of posting something along the lines Nex did...

'Its amazing that only a few weeks after I return home for Easter, you return to the Tavern.'

'Its amazing that only a few seconds after I had sat down to look at the Backroom, you posted that you were returning.'

'Its amazing that only minutes after I added 32 gigabytes of memory to computer using my memory stick...' ect

But yeah, it is reasonably idiotic to attack Mather when he hasn't done anything wrong...just very overt and self-aggrandising.

I guess both myself and Nex were annoyed the '8 more GB of RAM' set against Iey actually getting a working computer, Earth not having a computer and the majority of people just using 4 or less GB of RAM...

Kinda like saying 'Hey, what a concidence, you made yourself a sandwich and I used a hydraulic ram to force a baked ham down my gullet.'

Also :thumbup:

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I do have a computer, it's just a cmputer that should have been retired long ago and is about as useful to me as a heap of scrap metal with an internet connection in the majority of the things I need it for. Example. I want to download Camstudio, find my headset, download an emulator and a game, and start doing something fun. This computer blocks all of that entirely seeing as it doesn't even accept the headset I tried to use.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

too bad you didn't doctor the name to be his.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

No, to A Local Guy.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Would still be ever so slightly creepy.

Either because I turned around and there was 'A Local Guy' on a poster.

Or because I spent several minutes/hours doctoring a photo to make it appear like that...

Not sure which is creeper.

And yes...But not because of the poster :mrgreen:

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Dear Iey,

I was recently posted on the Prototype game thread (Mather's game) and I felt that it was very important to note that an Inexperienced Moderator, with Inexperienced Players, often don't know how to work together for a fun gaming experience. Indeed even I, an Experienced Moderator (Modesty, AWAY) often find that Experienced players sometimes don't know what I expect from them, and thus aren't sure how to behave.

As such it might be a good idea to sweep away the vague, ill-defined and, effectively, worthless, rules stated here:

http://forum.tip.it/topic/281101-falador-tavern-rules-guidelines/

And replace them with a new Codex of Roleplaying (Or something), which would provide a clear set of 'rules' which the players should follow while playing, in addition to the OBVIOUS AND IMPLICIT Forum Rules.

The Codex should clearly indicate that the rules are Opt-Out rules (Ie they apply unless the Mod says they don't), so there isn't so much confusion as to 'Does it mean the Mod has the final word in this matter?'

I believe I wrote up a list some months ago, though it wasn't used because it was too comprehensive (And, as predicted...though arguably by me, which somewhat invalidates the results :rolleyes:... caused a great deal of confusion and ended up destroying a game that had done reasonably well up to that point.)

It may be an idea to resurrect that list in some form and revamp the Tavern... It has been a year and a bit since we last Revamped the Tavern, and since we had one new person join in that time I think we can agree it failed abysmally. (Again, as predicted) Indeed the original set of rules recieved over double the number of views (Though it has been active for double the amount of time...but half that time has been on the back pages of the Tavern) and attracted well over double the number of users.

So yeah. I think, now that we have a full time Fally Mod, and we have people looking to join (apparently)...and importantly we have managed to 'shed' (Not to sound hurtful) a number of the old members which leaves room for new people to enter. Moreover the legacy of Falador Library is more or less dead, and the old community, which had, more or less, held the Tavern in a stranglehold (Myself among them) has largely disbanded.

I think it is time that we reinvented the Tavern, decluttered it (seriously, the first page has threads from 8 months ago...) and generally relaunched it. Perhaps we could see if there are new communities of Roleplayers developing, either in Off-Topic or elsewhere, and invite them here to take up the mantle.

Maybe this time, instead of taking advice from the Admin...and leaving the decisions to them ... we give power of arbitration to the new group (That or Mask and Nightwhisper, maybe Wyvern as well*) and give them them their chance to shine.

*Kind of intermediary, since he joined as we were switching over...I guess it is up to them, as individuals, to take up the mantle we offer them...Us stepping back and all that...

PS. Reform Act of 1832 and feeling very British.

We need to save a transcription of the Space, and maybe Dungeoneering threads somewhere. Put the text on Dropbox or something. So many memories. <3:

We could probably ask the admins or techies if there's some way to do that.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

@ archi: Response is in PM form. :)

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Great idea, Archi. Though I don't see why you couldn't just go the full mile and say that every game us a DnD unless otherwise stated. [/sarcasm]

No. It is not the cause of action that is necessary, what is necessary is only for the players to remember that the GM has final say in all matters of their own games, and that they should take every no as a no, rather than a "not quite convinced yet".

As the last recurring poster here among those were part of the Tavern before it became the Tavern, I feel fairly certain that it would be safe to say the reason so many have left is because there has been to much change. That there has been so much effort put into accommodating the addition of new members that there's almost nothing left of what the Tavern actually was.

Tell me, at what point did the sub-forum created for the Hegemony become one where you have to enjoy DnD to be able to play every other game?

What happened to that rowdy old Tavern where people might brawl in good nature, but had a great time while doing so, that made it become this hellhole where half the people are constantly at others' throats, going for broke like it's serious business?

What would be the reasonable thing to do would to leave the Tavern alone and hope it recovers to its former drunken glory, and rather make a new Falador Library for those that feel strict guidelines are a necessity.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

No. It is not the cause of action that is necessary, what is necessary is only for the players to remember that the GM has final say in all matters of their own games, and that they should take every no as a no, rather than a "not quite convinced yet".

While I agree with you Mather that being the GM DOES give you the final say; It really doesn't hurt to listen to your players as well and get a feel for what they want out of the game too. This will not only help them, but you as well as your game will become successful, possibly grab the attention of those who were just "on the line" of whether or not to play it when they get good feed back from other players, etc... But yes, if something is game breaking, or just against the basic structure of your game, then by all means, a flat out "no" should be listened to. BUT, if players are asking politely or requesting you add something into the game, it would do well to at least listen, and even have debates on whether it would work or not. (What was going on your Prototype thread is an example of how NOT to debate over game mechanics as it drove away players) In the end, doing this will create an enjoyable experience for both the players and the GM.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

So yeah. I think, now that we have a full time Fally Mod

and apparently I'm chopped liver.

But yeah, sorry about my recent lack of presence in the Tavern. I try to read most stuff, but I don't get many chances to play because of life and such getting in the way.

a70c7.png

So yeah. I think, now that we have a full time Fally Mod

and apparently I'm chopped liver.

But yeah, sorry about my recent lack of presence in the Tavern. I try to read most stuff, but I don't get many chances to play because of life and such getting in the way.

We still love you Stork, no worries.

Have some cool music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1boM5HD83c0&feature=relmfu

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Oh gods. It's the liberals and conservatives of the tavern brwaling it out isn't it. Isn't it???

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Ah, the tavern is in disarray and the old government is showing cracks...

All power to the Soviets!

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Exactly, this is what I mean.

When I was playing your game you didn't make a clear that it was 'What Mod says goes' if you had written that then I wouldn't have argued half as much. I was under the impression that you wanted us to be able to argue with you, since that is the view you commonly express in games.

The Codex (as suggested below*) is almost a checklist for a GM/person to go through when they start the game and go 'Nah, I don't agree there, I will do something else'

We just need to lay out what the players, what the GM and what anyone else (Can't think of anyone else, but just in case) are expected to do.

I entirely agree that we shouldn't do a 'All games follow DnD rules, trololololo.'

Retreieved from:

http://forum.tip.it/topic/277977-recruitment-drive/page__view__findpost__p__4602260

*Extended Edition (If you have any questions about the rules, this is the place to look):

[hide]

1. Games are run by the Moderator or Mod or the Game Moderator or the Game Master or the Dungeon Master or the Author, or the Thread Creator. So if you see someone being refered to as any of these terms you can be fairly certain that is the person to PM with any questions you may have about the thread/game.

1.2 If you are ever unsure who the Moderator is then post in the thread asking. If you forget please look back over the thread.

2. Threads may or may not have their own rules laid out in the opening post.

2.1 If they do have their own rules they will be outlined in the Opening Post as fully as the Moderator can, but games are often a work in progress, so if you are not sure, ask!

2.2 If they do have rules outlined then the opening post will probably refer to a well known game type, such as Hegemony or Dungeoneering. These 'Types' are based on Tavern Tradition and may look daunting for new players who don't have a lot of experience with the Tavern, but are based on commonsense concepts which are easy to pick up as you go along. The two main types are outlined at the end of this introduction.

3. In roleplaying debates can sometimes get very heated, just remember, its only a game, no one's feelings need to be hurt. If you see someone being picked on, and you think it should stop, please PM the person who is posting the mean comments and ask them to stop, this will usually solve the problem. If they are rude or refuse to stop, please report them, including as much information as you can, by clicking on this button, next to the offensive post:

Q9SQ0.png

3.1 If you are ever unsure whether or not to post, ask yourself these questions:

Does it Improve on the Silence?

Is what you saying True?

If it isn't True, is it at least Kind?

4. Do not advertise your own game on other people's threads. It can be very hurtful to see people leave your game to play someone else's, and very disruptive to the game.

5. If you think a game could be improved in some manner, PM the Moderator with your suggestions, if the Moderator agrees with your suggestions then he or she will post, asking if the players would be ok with this change. It is important not to become over defensive about your ideas, a big argument in the middle of a thread can really disrupt gameplay, something nobody wants.

5.1 Occassional 'Discussion' threads are started specifically to discuss an individual game. These should only be started by the Moderator as it can be very hurtful to the Moderator if someone else tries to redesign the game while they are trying to run it.

5.2 It is important to understand that the Moderator has the final word here. If you are playing a game and disagree with the Moderator very strongly, so much so you think it may cause problems later, then simply post 'I am sorry [Moderator's Name], I disagree with how you are running this thread and I wish to withdraw from the game.' Losing a player is often saddens a Moderator a great deal, but it is important for both the Moderator and the Player to know where the other stands on the issue.

6. If you withdraw from a game then your forfit the right to rejoin that game later and MUST ask the Moderator. The Moderator has no obligation to allow you back into the game.

6.1 The Moderator is under no obligation to allow any player to take part in a game that they are running.

7. It is the Responsibility of ALL Posters to obey the Rules set out by the Tip It Forum. If they forgo this responsibility then posts may be edited or removed and their accounts warned or banned from the whole Forum.

7.1 It is the Moderator's Responsibility to run the game in a manner that is coherant and user friendly. If they forgo this responsibility then players may choose not play the game any longer.

7.2 It is the Player's Responsibility to play the game is a manner that is coherant and sensitive to the Moderator. If they forgo this responsibility then the Moderator may choose to give the player penalties or may even decide to give up the game altogether.

8. These Rules and Guidelines represent a Voluntary Agreement. There is no reward on penalty for following or not following these rules(With the exception of rule 7.). Failure to follow these rules will simply upset the people who agree with them

[/hide]

What happened to that rowdy old Tavern where people might brawl in good nature, but had a great time while doing so, that made it become this hellhole where half the people are constantly at others' throats, going for broke like it's serious business?

I entirely agree. We need to recapture that spirit, but to do that we need new people. Like you say, you are the last recurring poster from that era, you can't carry on the brawl on your own so we need new people. We need to recreate the Tavern, and that requires us, and the new people, to take back the Tavern, to throw out the year old 'settlement' and return to the lawless (but still following the Tip It Forum Rules) wilds that made up the first year of the Tavern.

As I said to Iey in the PM, I am not saying 'I have a plan to lead us back to greatness' I am saying 'We need to do something, so we should disregard, congenially if possible, the current rules and suggest new rules. We should not try to remember the old glory days, feverantly hoping Dusty will spontanously post some ingenious military plan to invade the Yeman, but should bring in new blood and create new glory days. We need to reopen discussion and work towards improving the Tavern.'

We have sat, too long, on the laurals of the early days. We have defended against efforts to 'civilise' us, but we have grown fat on the prosperity of old, and now we bicker and argue amongst ourselves over trivial things.

In the words of old:

'

You enter the dank smelling tavern and it takes your eyes a moment to adjust to the murky light that seems to come from a single candle on the end of the bar. On the wall you notice a set of rules, encased in an ornate cabinet, but with such a thick layer of dust as to remember them useless. Next to that a vistors book, on the front is stapled a child's drawing of a tavern, and Falador Tavern is embossed on the cover...But the R seems to be round the wrong way and the writing itself looks like some half hearted joke. Can this truely be the Falador Tavern, the Tavern you left two years ago for real adventures?

You look around some more, and slowly, as your eyes adjust, you note that all but two tables have been put away. Indeed, when you look at the floor, you see the floor is littered with half drawn maps and minatures, discarded almost without thought. Above your head the blu-tack holding the HEGEMONY banner, once proudly displayed for all to see, falls away and you see the thick, sewn banner has been replaced with a long sheet of paper.

You venture forwards, hoping against hope that something will present itself, and lo it does, you see the familar figures of Archi and Mather, but rather than talking in jest, or in friendly debate, you see them, their faces turn down in grimace, their hand on their daggers, ready to murder each other if only given half a chance. You look around with a worried look, surely they are acting? But you see no audience, indeed you note the desolation of the place.

When you look at the tables you see they hold two games. One is covered with graphs, a bit of blood and reems of paper. Below that there is a model spaceship and a vast expanse of blank paper, the signs of much exploration to be done...But you see the words 'QUIT' emblazoned in red ink over two of the positions, as though the game was abandoned before it even started.

The other table is covered with scraps of paper, maps and other roleplaying detritus. Indeed this game looks like the games of old...But here you note that it is not the huge number of players of old, but just a few.

The sense of desperatation is almost enough to overwhelm you, to send you running from this nightmare, but instead of that you calmly place your bag upon the bar, the Barman herself, one Ieyfura, slowly coming to, as through woken from a long slumber, and the other, known as Jehosaphat, pokes his head around the door, drawn by that magical force whenever someone touches the bar. You look him up and down, he is wearing rubber pants and in his hand a fishrod and you half laugh out 'Gon' Fishin'?' You shake your head as he laughs back, and then you set your mind to the task at hand. You cross the street, buy a hammer and some nails, and once armed you challange Archi and Mather, Iey and Jehosaphat to help you restore the Tavern to its former glory.

'

Archi takes a deep breath and slowly lowers his gaze. Beneath is breath he mutters 'What have we become? Are we animals, locked in this place without escape only to protect others? I shall help you Newcomer.'

In the words of old:

'

You enter the dank smelling tavern and it takes your eyes a moment to adjust to the murky light that seems to come from a single candle on the end of the bar. On the wall you notice a set of rules, encased in an ornate cabinet, but with such a thick layer of dust as to remember them useless. Next to that a vistors book, on the front is stapled a child's drawing of a tavern, and Falador Tavern is embossed on the cover...But the R seems to be round the wrong way and the writing itself looks like some half hearted joke. Can this truely be the Falador Tavern, the Tavern you left two years ago for real adventures?

You look around some more, and slowly, as your eyes adjust, you note that all but two tables have been put away. Indeed, when you look at the floor, you see the floor is littered with half drawn maps and minatures, discarded almost without thought. Above your head the blu-tack holding the HEGEMONY banner, once proudly displayed for all to see, falls away and you see the thick, sewn banner has been replaced with a long sheet of paper.

You venture forwards, hoping against hope that something will present itself, and lo it does, you see the familar figures of Archi and Mather, but rather than talking in jest, or in friendly debate, you see them, their faces turn down in grimace, their hand on their daggers, ready to murder each other if only given half a chance. You look around with a worried look, surely they are acting? But you see no audience, indeed you note the desolation of the place.

When you look at the tables you see they hold two games. One is covered with graphs, a bit of blood and reems of paper. Below that there is a model spaceship and a vast expanse of blank paper, the signs of much exploration to be done...But you see the words 'QUIT' emblazoned in red ink over two of the positions, as though the game was abandoned before it even started.

The other table is covered with scraps of paper, maps and other roleplaying detritus. Indeed this game looks like the games of old...But here you note that it is not the huge number of players of old, but just a few.

The sense of desperatation is almost enough to overwhelm you, to send you running from this nightmare, but instead of that you calmly place your bag upon the bar, the Barman herself, one Ieyfura, slowly coming to, as through woken from a long slumber, and the other, known as Jehosaphat, pokes his head around the door, drawn by that magical force whenever someone touches the bar. You look him up and down, he is wearing rubber pants and in his hand a fishrod and you half laugh out 'Gon' Fishin'?' You shake your head as he laughs back, and then you set your mind to the task at hand. You cross the street, buy a hammer and some nails, and once armed you challange Archi and Mather, Iey and Jehosaphat to help you restore the Tavern to its former glory.

Archi takes a deep breath and slowly lowers his gaze. Beneath is breath he mutters 'What have we become? Are we animals, locked in this place without escape only to protect others? I shall help you Newcomer.'

'

I remember reading this my first time visiting the Tavern before I made an account here on Tip.it O_o (Nex was trying to convince me to join at the time) Where did that quote go? I could have sworn it was stickied back then. :(

EDIT: Or maybe my mind was just fuzzy. I found the introduction quote back on the last page of the Tavern. Tis different than this one. My bad. Still though, it was an awesome introduction.

Edited by Ieyfura

Lqt9R.png

Hey everyone!!!

I need everyone's help! I'd appreciate if everyone could PM me a pastry/cookie/cake recipe that is unique to them in some way (I don't need to know why it's unique to you, but if you want to state why it's fine.) I need these recipes for a project and I'd appreciate if I manage to get recipes from different countries too. PLEASE HELP ME!

Please and thankyou if you do help me.

I remember reading this my first time visiting the Tavern before I made an account here on Tip.it O_o (Nex was trying to convince me to join at the time) Where did that quote go? I could have sworn it was stickied back then.

EDIT: Or maybe my mind was just fuzzy. I found the introduction quote back on the last page of the Tavern. Tis different than this one. My bad. Still though, it was an awesome introduction.

Twas written in that style :grin: Glad to know people appreciated the old intro though.

I think Archi's right. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to give the rules a once-over, so sadly I can't comment much other than that yes, the old intro was epic, and something new (New rules and new people specifically) would be nice.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I have so many ideas, some potentially good and some probably bad, I should really try to do something with them...

In the end, it comes down to determination and adaptive repetition. Maybe I can get those down, with some practice. ;)

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I believe I just assigned a scientifically accurate value to the omnibus iteration of God - c.

So you're calling God C? What an incredible breakthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf2sjxi5LRg

Or is it?

RIP Dawngate ;-;