The Back Room

stevepole

Thats basically what he said...People claim to like Pokemon, and thus are 90's children, even if they were not born within the timeframe.

It will die out as we get further into the teens and early 20s of the 21st century, replaced by millenium children(unlikely) or something else...People who like Avatar or something silly like that.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Heh. Just kind of weird sometimes. Humans are all silly little buggers.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

So what you are saying, if I get you right, Mather...Is that you are a lesser geek at Crossroads because you spent a large amount of time playing it, without being very good at playing it, and thus introducing a system that required you to not rely on the vagueries that are inherant in geekness, and thus made it entirely impossible for you to play?

Or, in summary, you weren't very good at the game, and so you had to give up when a new system was introduced, because you feared you would be even worse at the game, and that is why the system is to blame.

Also your defination of a geek/nerd is uttery ludicrious.

"I am a nerd in these things, and a geek in everything else"

Translated as:

"I have a large knowledge and spend large portions of my time on these things, and I spend a large portion of my time doing everything else."

Should really compile a list of the self-contradictory statements you make...I could sell them as a book "Matherisms: Oxymorons in Sentence Form."

Nah, all that I spend time on, I know well.

I don't think we really need to bring up the many times this has been proved wrong.

Thing is I did not spend large amounts of time thinking about Crossroads, nor did I even give it my full attention when I played it, hence I did not "geek" over it.

I do however quite often find myself thinking about Homestuck, Runescape, physics, etc., and I often devote my full attention to those fields, hence I "geek" over them. However my considerable knowledge in the fields grants me the title of nerd rather than geek.

As for that last statement, knowledge and it's application are two vastly different things, separating a nerd from a natural, with a no-lifer and pro as intermediary.

Here's a list of terms by traits:

Casual - None.

Geek - Dedication [knowledge].

Wiz - Knowledge [skill and knowledge].

Nerd - Dedication and knowledge [skill].

Pro - Knowledge and skill [dedication].

No-lifer - Dedication(x2) and skill.

Natural - Skill [knowledge].

Traits in brackets aren't part of the term, but aren't ruled out either.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I am reminded of Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone, "it means what I choose it to mean"

For clarity:

[hide]

Mather: Lesser Geeks don't like DnD.

Archi: You aren't a Geek and it wasn't DnD.

Mather: I am a Geek/Nerd.

Archi: So your a Geek/Nerd.

Mather: Actually I am not a Geek/Nerd, except when I am.

Archi: So, basically, I can't win because your defination is whatever you want it to be, and not within the confines of the agreed norms of the English Language. Ergo, continuing to argue is an exercise in futility.

[/hide]

For reference purposes:

[hide]

Geek

Noun, Slang

1. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)

2. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.

3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

Nerd

Noun, Slang

1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.

2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd

http://dictionary.reference.com

[/hide]

Facts...Such wonderful tools.

Just like that, the argument peters out.

And so peace was restored to the Tavern.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Ooooowww.....Archi.....that hurt. And I am too a geek/nerd. I excell in Photoshop. I write fanfiction. I rp, just not here on the forums anymore. I actually like learning. I jump on pretty much any trip to a museum/aquarium/place of learning thr is not a school when offered.

I'll be honest, there are alot of things that make me a nerd that I dont mention on here.

And please, if you're going to attempt to insult me don't even bother.

And no, I'm not depressed actually. Just too busy working my butt off so I can graduate next year.

I doubt he was insulting you at all, really. Just pointing out the flaws in Mathers logic.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Just like that, the argument peters out.

And so peace was restored to the Tavern.

Meh, I'm just not going to continue arguing with someone who blatantly ignores every other word and then responds to the other half.

Me: "I'm a nerd."

Him: "So you were a Crossroads geek."

Seriously, "I didn't "geek" Crossroads, I "geek" other stuff."

Him: "You're not a geek/nerd? Make up your mind."

Seriously, and he accuses me of ignoring stuff... <_<

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Mather, Nerd is essentially an exclusively negative usage of geek (intelligent, no friends) or just an anorak/trainspotter type of person. A nerd partakes in nerdy things like D&D, trainspotting or trading cards.

A geek is an extremely blanket term for a person who is intelligent, it can mean a nerd, it can mean somebody who is interested in something 'odd', it can simply refer to how somebody dresses 'geeky' and I'm sure that other people would love to fit their meanings in.

Essentially, the argument is going like this.

Mather: "Sorry I'm not super-scientist enough to play your game."

Archi: "Super scientist? You just need to be a biologist!"

Mather: "Pfft, Biologist? Anybody who is a biologist is a super-scientist."

Archi: "No, you are an astronomer! we both study a branch of science, and are thus scientists: it's just that you do not understand this branch of science."

Mather: "Nope."

qTLQRuS.png

You guys are being foolish. Seriously. Stop now, this is getting out of hand again. In other news, yay research papers, not really, I hate their guts.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

ARCHI

STOP MAKING LIMERICKS

MATHER

STOP BEING MATHER

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Pffftaahahaa. Naw. I'm good but thanks.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Come play da Haven and Hearth with me guise. I make new village. It cool.

Rich n famus........$$$$

I assume it's going to cause us to spawn in a killzone of some sort?

Sure, why not.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

IC2 is.. Minecraft on steroids?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

From what I've heard of it, pretty much.

It makes me kinda disappointed that the music I seem to enjoy most on youtube always ends up being somehow related to My Little Pony (save for choice professional musicians). They're stealing the rest of the online world's creativity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Jfctt1b8o&feature=context-vrec

RIP Dawngate ;-;

One of the few companies that doesn't seem to go 'OH MY GOD, CONGRESS!!!!!!! THOSE PENNILESS STUDENTS ARE STEALING OUR CREATIVE PROPERTY!'

Of course being that I have zero interest in MLP...or the Internet at large... so I may be reading too much into it.

On the other hand, America has fought wars with less trusted intell :rolleyes:

On an unrelated note, not sleeping before an exam, instead reading(for the first time) one of the three core texts(having not read the other two), which you surreptitiously obtained from the Library some weeks before but didn't look at much beyond the first 50 pages, interspersed with with watching dramas, cooking pasta and planning how to convince Mather to run a IC server (Given I don't have the capacity and Paul is on holiday...And it might be a good way to sooth hostilities)...Actually helps you a lot. :thumbup:

For one thing you don't build up huge amounts of anxiety in the hour before the exam, or during the exam when you see that NONE of the things you thought would be asked, were asked. Another thing is that your carefully laid plan to revise seven specific topics and hope they come up (six out of ten questions), doesn't backfire terribly. Additionally, while everyone else is reading their quadtuple made notes, trying to force out xy and z to accomodate more xy and z, you are sitting there calmly running through four hundred pages of text (Which you cleverly printed in size 6 font, four pages per page, and thus the tiny letters needed every scrap of brainpower to read, let alone understand) in your mind, all the data therewithin fresh and ready to be used.

Finally, when the exam is over your brain doesn't worry too much about the answers you missed, or what you didn't put in...everything you knew you put in, and, in any event, your brain is too tired, and carrying too much raw data, to care. :thumbsup:

And pretty much Earth...Has electricity, nuclear power, laser rifles and power armour...Pretty fun.

Yes, and I still cant play it and my mother nearly threw the computer at me when she discovered the Dwarf Fortress game. So no more of that.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Tch, I'm getting my gear cleaned of viruses back over the summer, so I can't complain. S'been good for me.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Given that the IP to said server would be the same as the IP to my website, I don't think I can be the server without getting into trouble with the mods.

I am however a mod on a Minecraft server that is currently under secondary development, so I might be able to convince them to add the mod when they get multiworld up and running.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Mmmm, or you could PM people who were interested...Or use hamachi.

But thanks anyways.

The downside to the aforementioned sleep cycle is, 24 hours later(22.5 Technically) you feel really knackered, even though you have slept more than you were awake.