The Back Room

stevepole

Post-apocalyptic is even worse than pre-electronic.

And the kind of character I like is the kind who can do anything, be it using magic to create a fortress, crafting a gun or tearing a guy apart with my bare hands (for the record, I did all of these in the first Dungeoneering, though the latter is a bit exaggerated as I only tore off one body part).

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Then you want to be the overpowered munchkin that ruins the game.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Sounds like an alchemist to me. It's like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Yep, Magus seems like the most open class.

You will be able to craft a castle with your mind in one more level using stone wall. All classes can craft guns but if you want to craft magical items you need to be a spellcaster class or take the master craftsman feat (not really an issue) and of course since you can imbue any weapon (I think that fists count as a weapon, they certainly do for monks) with magical powers you can just imbue them with something to make them explosive.

Before I create the character, what sort of character do you want?

Race:

Human - this is essentially the default class in pathfinder, there's nothing special about them really.

Elves - Weaker but better at magic (I don't think you'll like this)

Dwarves - Stronger and have lower wisdom.

Orcs - These are horrible. They're super strong but they're slower, not as good at magic and don't have as good reflexes.

I'd say either dwarf or human.

Do you plan to be social? Charisma determines how people react to you, you can still convince people with low charisma if your arguments are compelling enough but obviously a good looking prince is going to do better at convincing girls to get into his carriage than an orc which is ugly.

What items do you want to start with? You start with quite a hefty amount of starting gold, you need a main weapon obviously but is there anything else magical that you could think of? Some potions or rings that boost your power maybe?

Do you want to craft magical items? You can still craft general things like guns, swords and make some alchemical potions but there are a few things you can have other people do. Also, you can always just have somebody tag along that can do these things for you.

-

Alchemist would probably be fun and would be useful for all of us but I don't think Mather is going to like a character where he can't rip off peoples arms. At later levels he could always use potions to turn himself into something stronger with a healing factor.

Mather, if you'd like to go alchemist then it's possible to make permanent upgrades to yourself with potions and magic.

qTLQRuS.png

Nefer, Two questions. Do you have Minecraft, and do you play on AwesomematG's server? Because I heard a name that sounded a lot like yours..

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Nefer, Two questions. Do you have Minecraft, and do you play on AwesomematG's server? Because I heard a name that sounded a lot like yours..

I have minecraft but my minecraft name is Buildsmash. I haven't played minecraft in ages :P

qTLQRuS.png

Then you want to be the overpowered munchkin that ruins the game.

Not a munchkin, I just get a little hedonistic when it comes to enjoying games.

I like to do everything at once, something only Dungeoneering allows. I find no point in playing a "free" game where I can't even play Iron Man, flying around in a suit of stone and throwing electric grenades around like rice at a wedding (these too were done during the first Dungeoneering).

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yep, you can do that.

Construct armour on a stone golem with alchemist bombs (which you can buy if you don't want to be an alchemist) that have electricity (or fire, frost and something else) with a cloak of flying or if you're a magus you can just fly yourself. It'll cost about 70,000 gp assuming you want make it yourself.

The pathfinder system really isn't limited in anyway, you can do whatever you did in dungeoneering in pathfinder. Just give it a go.

Also, it's not like Dark Heresy. It's far simpler since it just follows the d20 system like dungeoneering did. After making a character it's pretty much dungeoneering except with pirates and the fact you sometimes need to roll a d20 yourself (which I'm sure other players would be willing to do for you if you don't like the idea of it). You haven't played the pathfinder system, it really does encompass everything, you should at least try it before complaining about it.

qTLQRuS.png

Would cost 70,000 gp in Pathfinder, was done for free on a whim using geomancy, force magic and electromancy in Dungeoneering.

Also there's creating a demigod by summoning and feeding a thundercloud, destroying an army with one blast of lightning and carving a futuristic city out of a mountain.

This kind of stuff just doesn't work in games that follow any set of rules.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

You're still playing though, right?

You could do the ironman golem thing for about six hours at a time without paying anything. If you wait till level 17 I can give you an ironman suit of your own for free. Or if you have money I can have one made earlier.

Regardless of whether you're playing a dungeoneering or a rules based games those things are an extreme that you'll be able to get at later levels (we're 8 at the moment, maybe 15). You can carve a futuristic city out of a mountain using stone shape easily. You can do considerable damage to an army with lightning spells (since they latch onto more than one person, I think it's around 16 people at this level)

There's planar binding which is similar but it's more like summoning a creature and then attempting to trap it so it doesn't escape.

qTLQRuS.png

Yeah, the thing with structured games is that they don't like you building anything that adds to the structure, and puts strong restrictions on what you can actually do in game...Its one of the reasons games like GTA and Deus Ex are/were so popular, they give you the illusion of being able to come at a problem from multiple angles. Roleplaying games do much the same thing when run well.

At anyrate, Mather, if you want to refight the battle for Dungeoneering then please post on the thread.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Would cost 70,000 gp in Pathfinder, was done for free on a whim using geomancy, force magic and electromancy in Dungeoneering.

Also there's creating a demigod by summoning and feeding a thundercloud, destroying an army with one blast of lightning and carving a futuristic city out of a mountain.

This kind of stuff just doesn't work in games that follow any set of rules.

You could wear Stoneplate or some such thing instead of using Golem Armour if so desired. That would only cost 1000, and flight spells can be made to last for quite a while, with Alchemists being able to give themselves wings.

Demigods can be created, but only if you reach a deity level of power and create a proxy. You can summon thunderclouds pretty early, or summon elementals. An average platoon of human soldiers fighting even a 2/3rds Caster of our level would stand very little chance, and yeah, depending on the spell you could probably nuke them all at once. Stone Shape could let you carve a city out of the mountains, though 'futuristic' depends on the inhabitants more than the creator.

It's usually a matter of how you think in Pathfinder.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

(Well, my vow to not respond to mather lasted... less than a day. How depressing)

So what you're saying is that you want to be a sort of demigod and shit on everyone else without fear of reprisal, thus fulfilling several fantasies, and that anything that forces you to think in a different manner is badwrongfun and thus should be called DnD, or Dungeons and Dragons as the acronym stands for. That would be like calling all video games "Final Fantasy" or all anime "Naruto" (Or some other anime, someone else should fill this in who knows more about anime) or all fiction "Lord of the Rings", or all scifi "Star wars", or all people who claim to have a specific subset of autism "Mather".

LNYvk.png

... You guys need to stop talking to Mather and trying to appeal to his foolish requests... It's not going to make it any different and is merely making himself more of a troll than he already is.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Does anyone here play Vindictus? I'm not sure if I should get into it. I may get addicted to it if it;s as good as I've heard, but I'd like a second opinion.

It's okay. I enjoyed smashing furniture over the heads of gnolls.

Play Nethack.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Naw.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Naw.

Yes.

It's the greatest, most difficult PC game of all time.

It has Werejackals, and Food Poisoning. Does Vindictus have Food Poisoning? I don't think so.

"Look at Vindictus. Now back at Nethack. Now back to Vindictus, now back to Nethack. Sadly, Vindictus isn't Nethack. But if that contaminated sink mutated you into a Bee and crushed you under your own hat, Vindictus could kill you like Nethack. Look down, back up. Where are you? You're surrounded by water moccasins, in the dungeon your dungeon could feel like. Whats in your hand, back at me. I have it, its a wand with two charges of that spell you love. Look again, the wand is now melting your face. Anything is possible when your game plays like Nethack and not Vindictus. I died falling off a horse."

Game like a man, man. Nethack.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Still. Naw.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Still. Naw.

Come on, I even got Archi to play, and he never likes anything that I like

I'll tell you the magic woooord

RIP Dawngate ;-;

(Well, my vow to not respond to mather lasted... less than a day. How depressing)

So what you're saying is that you want to be a sort of demigod and shit on everyone else without fear of reprisal, thus fulfilling several fantasies, and that anything that forces you to think in a different manner is badwrongfun and thus should be called DnD.

To be fair, from conversations with Ross, Retech, Nef, Earth, Dusty and Nex, wanting to be a demigod, smash everything that opposes you and rebuild it in your own image, is very common*.

The only real difference between Mather and the others is that Mather isn't willing to jump through hoops to get someone else to 'approve' their ideas. Some people would highlight that comparatively Mather was less sad than the people who actually do play DnD and co.

On the otherhand him classing everything as DnD is tedious.

So in conclusion, Mather's only crime is to be less reasonable than a group of unreasonable people.

*Ico, Alg, Paul and myself seem to be more of the 'Ok, what currently exists and how can I live within it' bent, though we are all pretty silent so it is less important.

Naw.

Yes.

It's the greatest, most difficult PC game of all time.

It has Werejackals, and Food Poisoning. Does Vindictus have Food Poisoning? I don't think so.

"Look at Vindictus. Now back at Nethack. Now back to Vindictus, now back to Nethack. Sadly, Vindictus isn't Nethack. But if that contaminated sink mutated you into a Bee and crushed you under your own hat, Vindictus could kill you like Nethack. Look down, back up. Where are you? You're surrounded by water moccasins, in the dungeon your dungeon could feel like. Whats in your hand, back at me. I have it, its a wand with two charges of that spell you love. Look again, the wand is now melting your face. Anything is possible when your game plays like Nethack and not Vindictus. I died falling off a horse."

Game like a man, man. Nethack.

I get that reference!

Is it the kind of difficulty where the game gives you a fair chance to win, or the kind of difficulty where everything is going to kill you on the easiest difficulty and there's nothing you can do about it?

It will mercilessly slaughter the foolish and unprepared. In twenty five years no one would have 'completed' it if not for the entire fanbase's decades of cumulative exchanged knowledge. You will not complete it in the first hundred tries, or likely the next few hundred after that.

But you probably won't want to stop, because it's good.

It might also tell you somehing that it's the Trope Namer for The Dev Team Thinks Of Everything.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Play it anyways.

Whoever completes it first gets to be new Tavern Mod :D

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Is it the kind of difficulty where the game gives you a fair chance to win, or the kind of difficulty where everything is going to kill you on the easiest difficulty and there's nothing you can do about it?

It will mercilessly slaughter the foolish and unprepared. In twenty five years no one would have 'completed' it if not for the entire fanbase's decades of cumulative exchanged knowledge. You will not complete it in the first hundred tries, or likely the next few hundred after that.

Completed it on my second attempt, without fan assistance.

The Trick was pressing k and towards the enemy, as opposed to running away. Once I got that it was pretty much a cakewalk.