The Back Room

stevepole

Penentrating, blood-loss inducing fire arrows? With Jarate? ... Utter madness.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Penentrating, blood-loss inducing fire arrows? With Jarate? ... Utter madness.

And don't forget to headshot. Also the Bushwhacker to finish off Jarated enemies, since it gives crits in place of mini-crits.

Anyways, Soldiers should use the Righteous Bison. It may replace any secondaries such as the Buff Banner that you wish to bring, but the sheer amount of damage you can total per shot, the quick reload time and the fact that it requires no ammo vastly outweighs the importance of giving away a few seconds of mini-crits.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Ergh, gotta disagree with you a little. A soldier with the buff banner makes it a helluva lot easier for the team to shoot things, as he can give minicrits to everyone, extend the duration, and all he has to do is shoot people to get it.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Yeah, but with the Righteous Bison fully upgraded you can tank for as long as necessary. Already before being upgraded it is one of the best weapons in the game, then when you fully upgrade the reloading it reloads perhaps 10 shots per second, with full fire rate it shoots nearly as fast as the Syringe Gun, with full clip upgrade you get 12 shots and with full health upgrade you gain a helluva lot of health per kill. I just won a round using the Bison as my primary weapon, and the only slightly dificult enemy was the Steel Gauntlet Heavies, with their massive health and damage reduction to ranged weapons.

Comparably the Cow Mangler 5000 or any of the Shotguns or Rocket Launchers suck. You could only kill perhaps a tenth as many per minute with them.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I prefer the Minicrits, as it usually helps more to do so than to do without it. Besides, I don't have the Righteous Bison, which also is influencing my decision. Whatever works for different people is fine, but you simply cannot use strategies for regular Tf2 in MvM, the style of play is too different and it makes it nigh impossible to win.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Someone tell me how to play League of Legends

It is suddenly pertinent to my social life

Also maybe Magic the Gathering

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Er? If you're on Steam I can give you the gist of it, but I haven't played that in a while. I may be rusty.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Ah, interesting. It is like DOTA (if you've played that before) except more flaming.

Basically there are three main lanes that your minions walk along and fight other minions and between that, a jungle. You play a single character called a champion. There are generally a few roles, but the standard five person team is:

AP Mid - Builds ability power, which increases the damage of "abilities", of which each champion gets four. Iconically they are "mages". Usually gets middle lane solo

AD Carry - Builds attack damage, which increases the damage of the standard attack (which every champion gets). Usually squishy but is supposed to essentially win the late game. Usually bottom lane with the support

Support/Tank - Essentially heals, buffs, etc the AD carry and babysits it until it can really be a threat. Often will have crowd control to stop the opponents from attacking and such. Usually bot lane

Fighter/Solo Top/Tank - Takes the top lane and after leveling for a while, just charges into the fray first

Jungler - The person who goes through the jungle and farms for levels and gold. Though jungles will usually level a bit slower than the other players, but their role is to leap out of the jungles to "gank" opponents and make their life a nightmare

Of course there are variations on that, like many AP Mids are assassins that use both Ability power and attack damage, or some teams might end up not having a jungler and instead have two people in the top

But that is basically the gist of it. Really most people end up having one main character or type of character, but it's good to learn a secondary role incase your first is already taken. For example, I usually play Tristina (an AD mid, a Yordle with a giant gun) but if that role is taken, I would then pick a character like Anivia or Veigar, which are AP mids

Just one last note on the roles. Typically in the late game, there will be lots of teamfights (where the whole teams converge for all or nothing battles) and in the early game, people will usually fight people on the same lane. In the team fights, if you are an AD carry or AP mid, then you need to be very aware of where people are, because they will all generally try to target you given any opportunity. (Or even just wait in the bushes for your team to pass and then sacrifice themselves to take you down)

So if you're just starting, probably would be good to play against the computer for a while and use some sort of fighter character

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Well I REALLY need to play a round of Dota 2. I haven't taken advantage of that yet.. But I have coding to do. Argh.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Ah, interesting. It is like DOTA (if you've played that before) except more flaming.

Basically there are three main lanes that your minions walk along and fight other minions and between that, a jungle. You play a single character called a champion. There are generally a few roles, but the standard five person team is:

AP Mid - Builds ability power, which increases the damage of "abilities", of which each champion gets four. Iconically they are "mages". Usually gets middle lane solo

AD Carry - Builds attack damage, which increases the damage of the standard attack (which every champion gets). Usually squishy but is supposed to essentially win the late game. Usually bottom lane with the support

Support/Tank - Essentially heals, buffs, etc the AD carry and babysits it until it can really be a threat. Often will have crowd control to stop the opponents from attacking and such. Usually bot lane

Fighter/Solo Top/Tank - Takes the top lane and after leveling for a while, just charges into the fray first

Jungler - The person who goes through the jungle and farms for levels and gold. Though jungles will usually level a bit slower than the other players, but their role is to leap out of the jungles to "gank" opponents and make their life a nightmare

Of course there are variations on that, like many AP Mids are assassins that use both Ability power and attack damage, or some teams might end up not having a jungler and instead have two people in the top

But that is basically the gist of it. Really most people end up having one main character or type of character, but it's good to learn a secondary role incase your first is already taken. For example, I usually play Tristina (an AD mid, a Yordle with a giant gun) but if that role is taken, I would then pick a character like Anivia or Veigar, which are AP mids

Just one last note on the roles. Typically in the late game, there will be lots of teamfights (where the whole teams converge for all or nothing battles) and in the early game, people will usually fight people on the same lane. In the team fights, if you are an AD carry or AP mid, then you need to be very aware of where people are, because they will all generally try to target you given any opportunity. (Or even just wait in the bushes for your team to pass and then sacrifice themselves to take you down)

So if you're just starting, probably would be good to play against the computer for a while and use some sort of fighter character

What are the trap characters? Ones that look cool but are a waste? I played LoL against the AI for awhile before I quit, and I've just been told that every character I used was something like that.

I knew nothing of strategy then, but I liked vampiric builds with high attack damage. Where does that fit in? I figure I'll probably learning the roles one at a time.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Those are likely AD carries with some life steal (which basically every AD carry gets). They are probably the toughest to play as a new player (possibly tied with AP mid) because lots of it is knowing how to position yourself, since once you are vulnerable, you will basically get slaughtered.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Those are likely AD carries with some life steal (which basically every AD carry gets). They are probably the toughest to play as a new player (possibly tied with AP mid) because lots of it is knowing how to position yourself, since once you are vulnerable, you will basically get slaughtered.

Solo Top Tank, then? I'm not too comfortable in a fight unless I'm reliably more protected, or have heavier dependable damage.

EDIT: What are good Champions/Builds for that?

EDITEDIT: Also maybe one with a mustache?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Also, Mather. You're assuming that we're all of the same ability level. I am Godly when it comes to spying and pretty shit when it comes to sniping.

I'm not, I'm just saying which classes can pull their part, and which strategies are better to get kills. I'm all-around pretty good, perhaps closing in on godly when it comes to sniping (my killstreaks reach into the tens and twenties on arena surf), so I can I try every strategy for every class and tell if it's any good, and I know not to underestimate any given class or to suggest things that require too much skill. Spies are in fact one of my favorites too, as the Your Eternal Reward has an uncanny ability to take out a group of enemies from the inside without giving them a clue of what's going on, and when used in conjunction with arena surf teleports that lead to the enemy spawn, you can easily pick off a dozen or two enemies before they catch you..

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

However, what works for one person doesn't for another. I managed to awuire the Bison and found it wasn't very useful to how I play Soldier. It just messed me up a bit, so I just ignored it and went back to the Banner.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Yeah, when you use the Bison, it doesn't work as a backup, you have to use it as if it was your primary weapon. But that's also what's good about it, since when it comes to strength it's pretty much an undeflectable rocket launcher with ten times the reload speed.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Oh hey I just thought of something completely different from what you guys are talking about

Have you ever read Manwha, Mather? It's the Korean equivalent of Manga, it usually has better art, more semi-coherent storylines, and it reads left-to-right.

I'll try to find something you might like.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I was using it as my main, and I found it rather poor. Didn't like it, I prefered the minicrits or the health on hit, if I used the Concherer.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I don't read comics either, with the exception of a very few webcomics. Reading fiction really doesn't interest me anymore, perhaps as a result of the fact that I've already read perhaps ten times the amount an average person does in a lifetime.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Unless I'm wrong, the average person doesn't read that much in a lifetime.

Thus his allegations are made much more probable...

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Which measure of central tendency are you using for "average"?