The Back Room

stevepole

Is it the kind of difficulty where the game gives you a fair chance to win, or the kind of difficulty where everything is going to kill you on the easiest difficulty and there's nothing you can do about it?

It will mercilessly slaughter the foolish and unprepared. In twenty five years no one would have 'completed' it if not for the entire fanbase's decades of cumulative exchanged knowledge. You will not complete it in the first hundred tries, or likely the next few hundred after that.

Completed it on my second attempt, without fan assistance.

The Trick was pressing k and towards the enemy, as opposed to running away. Once I got that it was pretty much a cakewalk.

So how did you deal with Rodney?

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Heh. Man. I'm trying to find a trumpet score for a video game I love. I'm not sure if I can find it though. Rgh.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Actually, I found it. Search up Hailfire Peak music on Youtube or something, I'll be playing a section of that for my audition.

Edit: Better yet, use this link. It's more accurate to what I'm playing.

http://www.vgvirtuoso.net/music.php?sheet_id=25

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Does anyone here play Vindictus? I'm not sure if I should get into it. I may get addicted to it if it;s as good as I've heard, but I'd like a second opinion.

It's okay. I enjoyed smashing furniture over the heads of gnolls.

Play Nethack.

Was about to give it a try, then I saw that it's just another "yay, I can make a functioning game engine!!!" game.

I'm not gonna play anything without graphics. If Andrew Hussie can make games with decent graphics to go inside his webcomic in a matter of days, then actual game makers can add graphics to theirs.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Does anyone here play Vindictus? I'm not sure if I should get into it. I may get addicted to it if it;s as good as I've heard, but I'd like a second opinion.

It's okay. I enjoyed smashing furniture over the heads of gnolls.

Play Nethack.

Was about to give it a try, then I saw that it's just another "yay, I can make a functioning game engine!!!" game.

I'm not gonna play anything without graphics. If Andrew Hussie can make games with decent graphics to go inside his webcomic in a matter of days, then actual game makers can add graphics to theirs.

"While the graphics may seem primitive by today's standards, today's gameplay seems primitive by NetHack standards."

Christopher Wellons

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Mather, answer the questions in the quote below please.

Yep, Magus seems like the most open class.

You will be able to craft a castle with your mind in one more level using stone wall. All classes can craft guns but if you want to craft magical items you need to be a spellcaster class or take the master craftsman feat (not really an issue) and of course since you can imbue any weapon (I think that fists count as a weapon, they certainly do for monks) with magical powers you can just imbue them with something to make them explosive.

Before I create the character, what sort of character do you want?

Race:

Human - this is essentially the default class in pathfinder, there's nothing special about them really.

Elves - Weaker but better at magic (I don't think you'll like this)

Dwarves - Stronger and have lower wisdom.

Orcs - These are horrible. They're super strong but they're slower, not as good at magic and don't have as good reflexes.

I'd say either dwarf or human.

Do you plan to be social? Charisma determines how people react to you, you can still convince people with low charisma if your arguments are compelling enough but obviously a good looking prince is going to do better at convincing girls to get into his carriage than an orc which is ugly.

What items do you want to start with? You start with quite a hefty amount of starting gold, you need a main weapon obviously but is there anything else magical that you could think of? Some potions or rings that boost your power maybe?

Do you want to craft magical items? You can still craft general things like guns, swords and make some alchemical potions but there are a few things you can have other people do. Also, you can always just have somebody tag along that can do these things for you.

-

Alchemist would probably be fun and would be useful for all of us but I don't think Mather is going to like a character where he can't rip off peoples arms. At later levels he could always use potions to turn himself into something stronger with a healing factor.

Mather, if you'd like to go alchemist then it's possible to make permanent upgrades to yourself with potions and magic.

EDIT: Mather, I'm not going to be able to create you a character for this session, if you answer literally now (4:00 GMT) I may have a chance but otherwise you're going to need to wait for next session.

-

I've got to agree with Mather on this, I can't play games like that either. I also hate games like Dwarf Fortress where the whole community is like: "Oh, look how clever I am for being able to work this terrible UI" or "This game is so open, you can do practically anything" when it's really just something like a little red dot moving onto another red dot and turning into a green tilde.

qTLQRuS.png

I may try Nethack actually. But hey, it may take me a while.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I've been Sticking my nose into the Hunger Games trilogy and a book called Unwind. Unwind is really good, so I reccomend reading it.

Anyway, new game idea. I'm going to take the Hunger Games to a new level. I'll have the stuff posted soon, since today is just another icky day in New England.

I'd be super interested in anything non-IRC based and would be willing to join it immediately. Especially hegemony.

I understand that after the twentieth hegemony, people just don't want to invest the time in writing the backstories again but what about a hegemony-lite whereby things would be decided upon by a consensus unless it is agreed to bring in a moderator to settle the dispute. Otherwise the game is based on person whims rather than substantiated arguments whilst still curtailing abuse. The moderator would update the map and if requested give their opinion on arguments.

The only change I would make is to replace one year = one day with 3 months = one year but still keep the real time for research the same (seven days of research is the save as seven days of research, even with the shorter time periods) because a year really is a long time.

Also, sometimes with hegemony games you can feel strongly obliged to write a lot. It's still an option to write a lot but you shouldn't be penalised like assuming the worst tactics if little is written or technology research not being as intended. People don't naturally get attached to a game upon joining, they play, like it and put more effort into it as their own choice. If a game starts as a lite version than maybe the players will make it flourish into a better game but instantly demanding that things are written up isn't fun at all.

GDP would be good as the primary source of income but I think there should be a resources system to make more money. I was thinking of a transparent overlay of separate resources that are useful that can be revealed (slowly in pinpointed areas) with research or simply by digging/mining in that area. The resources would loosely be based off already existing deposits (E.G Saudi Arabia = Oil) but the overlay map could potentially include resources in areas that we do not yet know of. It would also give reason for war in certain places rather than 'I WANT ALL THE LAND'.

I personally don't see domestic issues being very enjoyable, it feels like you're not achieving anything. Apart from obviously not murdering all of your population they should only need to be addressed when extremely important. Some people may enjoy domestic issues and want them included but I don't. I do think that a casus belli should be sort of important. Secret research is allowed but has a percentage chance of being revealed based on how volatile it is, players may need to phrase their secret research in a way that the scientists think that they are working on it for a different purpose.

Points of interest and large cities should be included on whatever map there is. Simple colours really don't convey much. Disputed land is checked between the two colours of the country, maybe even three.

Non-standard ways of doing things (such as political annexation) are allowed if they are accepted by the players. The moderator is allowed to give false reports as given by a country regarding economy and other issues. Celestial bodies and other planets can be colonised providing you have the research. Superweapons are handled on a case-by-case basis: the player must ensure that a sufficient amount of time and money has been spent on it, that it's balanced and realistic and other factors are taken into account.

I know it's really the wrong time to be talking about attempting to start a hegemony but as long as it is fairly lite and doesn't require copious amounts of writing it would be fine. You really don't need to exert much effort to play a hegemony, I think it would be fun.

qTLQRuS.png

I'm no good with the hegemony stuff. I get all confused. I guess I might be able to understand it better if I took time to check out the hegemony stuff....

If anyone can give me a simple rundown of how hegemony works I'd be greatful for that.

I'm no good with the hegemony stuff. I get all confused. I guess I might be able to understand it better if I took time to check out the hegemony stuff....

If anyone can give me a simple rundown of how hegemony works I'd be greatful for that.

You pick a country and say what the country does. Other people pick their own countries and do the same. What your country can do by limited by your current budget and current science (so you cannot make an army that you can't afford, nor can you have any army wielding magical wands but with research you could probably have phasers after a few years.

You can allocate money towards research to gain a new technology, so say you wanted to research a cheaper form of energy to supply some sort of giant laser you could fund a percentage of your budget into it along with spending a certain number of real-life days researching it. You can also fund money into your military or other ventures.

qTLQRuS.png

Anyone got any experience with IT? I've got this weird issue here that I can only use URLs for a few seconds after renewing my IP, after which it suddenly stops working whilst IPs still work. The issue isn't in my DNS as I have my computer set to use the Google DNS both for IPv4 and IPv6 and I get the regular "took too long to respond" error.

And no, googling the problem didn't help me at all.

EDIT: IPs don't work either, it seems to be Port 80 and whatever port https uses that shut down.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Anyone got any experience with IT? I've got this weird issue here that I can only use URLs for a few seconds after renewing my IP, after which it suddenly stops working whilst IPs still work. The issue isn't in my DNS as I have my computer set to use the Google DNS both for IPv4 and IPv6 and I get the regular "took too long to respond" error.

And no, googling the problem didn't help me at all.

EDIT: IPs don't work either, it seems to be Port 80 and whatever port https uses that shut down.

You're asking in the wrong place.

http://forum.tip.it/...-and-computers/

Or an IT forum. It's pretty unlikely that anybody here is going to have a better understanding of computers than you.

qTLQRuS.png

Only time anything similar happened to me I had to talk to the ISP, apparently too many computers had opened too many connections.

Quite why opening MORE connections helped back then is beyond me.

If it doesn't go away ask them.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Don't think the ISP is to blame here, the fact that refreshing my IP grants me a few seconds where the ports are open implies that it's either something wrong with my computer, or there's some device on the local network that automatically identifies devices and DOSes or otherwise prevents the use of the ports.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Won't be on for this weekend. So count me out of the sessions.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Goddamnit! I can make a calculator to figure out the maximum lossless binary data transfer rate of a network based on only the broadband and amplitude of the noise, or the other way around, figure out the noise amplitude and broadband based only on the maximum transfer rate and noise ratio as according to Shannon's theorem in under an hour, but I'd be damned if I could ever manage to properly operate a laundry machine.

EDIT: The calculator in question.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Well one uses basic math skills (plus logs...so basic maths from 20 years ago), the other uses rudimentary dexterity and reading...so its like chalk and emulsified cow liquid protein.

Add powder (Around 1/16th of a pint glass) to the central part of the drawer, softener (Around 1 and a half shot glasses, full) to the right side of the drawer.

-Alternatively add Gel to the inside of the washing machine, in the correct container (The dispenser usually comes with the correct container, or is in a tablet...If it doesn't then simply apply 5 tablespoons of Gel to the clothes).

Set for 30 degrees C (or equivilant) or below (It will say of the box the correct temperature, but 30 is sufficent for all bar the oldest washing powders), unless you are washing linen sheets that have been used by someone else, in which case use 90 (or equivilant), though 30 can also be used.

-If required set for synthetics, regardless of what is inside.

Close the door.

Press Start.

Advanced:

If the washing machine contains less than 1/2th of a load, and your washing machine has a button saying "Half Load" or a picture of a half basket/other, then you press it before you press start.

Extremely Advanced:

If you can't be bothered to hang it up outside, or you don't want to waste as much electricity as a dryer, you can put it onto a spin cycle. This is usually achieved by setting it (on the knob) to the picture of a vortex. On some machines you may need to press the 'Spin' button. On some other machines you can set it to 'Extra Spin'.

Compared to

X=Y log2 (1+(Z/A))

Noise = 1/A = (X/Y Log2) -Z

Bandwidth = Y Log2 = X/(1+(Z/A)

It is terribly complex...

*Took 22 minutes according to Tip It. Though I might have the Log2 in the wrong place on account of never having studied it.

Lets say 10 minutes (conservative estimate) to type it into excel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_alphabet

I would assume some sort of encryption is also present, though I don't know enough about the runic alphabet to do anything else.

Also, Blog, I have lost my phone. No, wait, its next to the mouse. Lolz.