Double Post

Dragonkng198

So yeah :P Basically, every time I post on a profile wall, I somehow post twice from one click o_O It's definitely not caused by double clicking, or something silly like that, it just randomly does it in that situation. I have no other problems, but this has happened every post for a few weeks now (I'm too lazy to have sorted it out beforehand)

I didn't know where to put this, and I've probably put it in the wrong place due to that, but... better here than not at all :P Help meeee! <3:

[hide=Stats]Dragonkng198.png          Pumpking.png[/hide]

61669e5031.png

71fb431906.png

39c60fedc1.jpg

Lol, I was ready to delete this thread because I thought it was a double post. :P

Moving this to Tech and Support as this is strictly forums related.

------

That does seem like a really weird problem.. can everyone else see that you are double posting?

Edit: Yep, it appears that you and Ren have this problem.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

Well, if you are using IE 9 I am fairly sure the issue is an out of date Javascript Library the current IPB installation (as of the last time I asked) uses because it doesn't work properly in IE 9. If that is the case just enable compatibility mode and it should work properly. If you aren't using IE 9 then I have no clue.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Dragonkng198, I suggest you get a different browser. Heck, I would suggest FireFox, but I've been hearing about and seeing bad things regarding it since version 10, including keyboard lockups regarding RuneScape. If you wish to give it a try anyway, get version 9 or earlier from Mozilla's archives. It should enable you to not have double-posting issues here. :o

Just for the note of it, I'm still stuck back at FF 3.5.x-series due to some extensions that can't be upgraded. I've got some features right now that I would really hate to do without. I even had to shut off blocklisting because Mozilla started unnecessarily disabling my perfectly good extensions that I downloaded from Mozilla's Add-Ons site! (No, I don't have any malicious extensions!) Horrible, eh? It's like Mozilla is trying to force me to upgrade, and give up my feature set, by undermining/destroying my layout! :(

~D. V. "In need of a better browser myself..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Actually, Firefox's best version was version 4. After that it just went crashier and crashier. And I am experiencing it as well, but Firefox Nightly is pretty good.

Actually, Firefox's best version was version 4. After that it just went crashier and crashier. And I am experiencing it as well, but Firefox Nightly is pretty good.

Strange, I don't think I've seen a crash since around then.

Of course it probably helps that I haven't had Flash and friends.

Most of the issues have to do with Flash and the graphics drivers, as I've found out. Getting the latest beta drivers for my graphics card solved most of the issues I had with firefox crashing, but it still happens from time to time with Flash.

damn myitlab program for classes requires ie9 or else i'd uninstall it from my computers and try to forget the damn thing ever existed /endrant.

Worse, if you're running winbloze (my idea of an insult to Micro$oft about Windows) on your computers, you can't dump your current release of IE, because it's too deeply tied into the system. Literally, last I checked, you would wreck your systems trying to do that. :(

~D. V. "Micro$oft makes some software impossible to back-level..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

damn myitlab program for classes requires ie9 or else i'd uninstall it from my computers and try to forget the damn thing ever existed /endrant.

Worse, if you're running winbloze (my idea of an insult to Micro$oft about Windows) on your computers, you can't dump your current release of IE, because it's too deeply tied into the system. Literally, last I checked, you would wreck your systems trying to do that. :(

~D. V. "Micro$oft makes some software impossible to back-level..." Devnull

Aren't you using Windows?

Yeah, Windows XP Pro SP2, but I avoided the system(and interface)-crapping updates. Still on IE6 here, but not using it except on clean sites and only where needed. It gets to sit in dead silence, you might say. Viva La Well-Tweaked FF 3.5.x-series, plus twenty-some extensions! :thumbsup:

~D. V. "Old stuff, sometimes far better than the new." Devnull

(p.s.: Did you know SP3 perma-breaks classics like MechWarrior 3?)

Never the case for browsers. I know you're aware of the risk, but please don't advocate the usage of outdated software, especially considering the environment we're currently in.

Other than that please let's get back on topic. :)

hzvjpwS.gif

What browser are you using? (unless I missed it). But with compatibility view in IE8/IE9 it should work like it should.

Yeah, Windows XP Pro SP2, but I avoided the system(and interface)-crapping updates. Still on IE6 here, but not using it except on clean sites and only where needed. It gets to sit in dead silence, you might say. Viva La Well-Tweaked FF 3.5.x-series, plus twenty-some extensions! :thumbsup:

(p.s.: Did you know SP3 perma-breaks classics like MechWarrior 3?)

IE6 support has been dropped by website developpers, it's one of the worst choices of browsers when it comes to security and also the slowest browser around. IE9, while ugly, is still the most secure IE browser.

Okay, that's it, Kimberly and Sbrideau... Here comes the point-loaded rant-of-the-day, fully on-topic to this thread, compressed as a single text brick because it would be too hard to break it into separate segments and my thoughts are way too cross-connected! :angry:

---Begin Point-Loaded Rant---

You know what ticks me off about more recent browsers, and why I consider them to be less secure in some situations compared to older browsers? All the feature bloat that causes them to be even more vulnerable to attacks and slower on older systems. (Not everybody has the money to upgrade their hardware, damnit!) Worse, developers don't take the time to at least bug-fix the holes before they add more junk/stuff/etc. ... So, you've got these supposedly nice things like WebGL coming out, and they're full of vulnerable code in them, and slow people's hardware down too! Not a way for a developer to build a good browser, especially when they keep ripping things out of the default interface, and/or causing rampant incompatibilities! Hey, not everyone is going to know to go digging for what they need for the interface, and most people are not willing to spend time to learn! (And that's for any browser lately, not just FireFox that I'm talking about!) This even ticks me off more, because it means that even though I'm aware of having to go digging, I still have to spend too much time on it! Just to name another big problem, FireFox 10 is unable to do anything else properly while you're running RuneScape, all due to some bad coding somewhere between Jagex/Oracle/Mozilla! Do you really think that's secure? NO! That's asking for some hacker to design something that can infect your machine! Pardon me being a damn doomsayer, but I'm already sure that people exploiting browsers for malicious purposes have likely already thought of this long before I have, and it looks like I'm the only one of us here aware enough to stick it down on the table now! :wall:

Geez... and then you're wondering why I find earlier browsers like FireFox 3.5.x-series (or even better, FF 2.0.0.x-series) easier to keep much more cleanly and securely, compared to the far more recent releases? Heck, you notice I said I leave IE6 dormant, and for good reason. Love the interface provided to Windows Explorer, and I know it's gone the moment IE gets upgraded. Plus, people want to say IE can be secured? I know better, and that it can't be, ever. And no way am I falling for Micro$oft's "Rip the floor out from under the user" approach to things. Already get enough of that from Jagex without a say in the matter. :notalk:

---End Point-Loaded Rant---

Before I buzz off for a bit, I'm going to note and remind that everything I've stated here is due to personal experience. Each and every upgrade has always resulted in me getting basically burned, except for when I used to use FF 2.0.0.x-series and Java 6 (pre-u10)... Those, in my opinion, were maybe the only good, light-weight, insanely superfast releases out of all the Mozilla FireFox browsers and Java Runtimes that have ever been released. Heck, the Flash 10-series plugin here was fine until the browser was upgraded to FF 3.5.x-series, and upgrading as far as I would have to on it now isn't an option due to system requirements. Just too dang high anymore, and I'm sick of getting burned... I'm also sick of seeing other less-knowledgeable users getting burned, so that's why I hunt for the best compatibility and security mix for them, such that they maybe need one small item at most to plug the last hole. (At least I know the average user will spend enough time for that!) -.-

~Mr. D. V. "...gone through one bad experience too many..." Devnull

(p.s.: I don't usually get torqued off like this, I know. It's just when you've been using PCs for 15+ years, some things finally reach a limit, and seeing less-knowledgeable people getting burned by upgrade overkill happens to be the pet peeve that triggers mine.)

There is a reason that Microsoft is trying to get people off IE6.. surprisingly it's because IE6 is terrible in terms of security, what with it being released, oh, 11 years ago with the last update being just under 4 years ago. This is just an example. A majority of the time updates are not just aesthetic, there are behind-the-scenes updates fixing security, for example. Yes, firefox's new release cycle is stupid, or at least poorly executed, but that's not really the point. I'm also not sure where you're getting this feature bloating thing from, Chrome isn't exactly complicated.

Oh, and your argument contains a whole load of assertions, I'll do my best to ignore them.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I completely agree with Guy here, and I'm not saying the latest versions are the better, especially with Firefox (where I agree the programmers are pretty bad, but at least versions like version 4 are much faster than 3.5.x and safer), but staying in outdated versions is a security issue on any computer. If your computer is too old to handle more recent versions of stuff, then it is time to upgrade, and computers are pretty cheap these days.

Also, from experience (as you say) I know that upgrading IE doesn't change the look of Windows Explorer.

I'm not going to say more about this, pretty much answers the essential part of your rant.

You know what ticks me off about more recent browsers, and why I consider them to be less secure in some situations compared to older browsers? All the feature bloat that causes them to be even more vulnerable to attacks and slower on older systems. (Not everybody has the money to upgrade their hardware, damnit!)

One word:

Chrome.

One of the fastest browsers in existence, and not to mention arguably the most secure as well.

However, I have no problem with the latest version of Firefox either, and it's in fact my browser of choice, simply because of all the extensions I use on it.

Also I don't know if you're stating the UI upgrades from Windows XP -> Windows 7 were a bad thing, or just IE6 -> 7/8/9? Again, this is subjective, but Windows 7 is arguably the best OS that Microsoft has ever produced.

@DVD: Funny you seem to care so much about browser security, yet you're advocating the use of one of the most compromised browsers ever made.

http://www.trotec-blog.com/en/trotec/microsoft-confirms-ie6-security-risk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#Vulnerabilities

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Apparently, I'm going to end up with Forum Burnout again after 5 days IRL downtime... Here's the text wall...

There is a reason that Microsoft is trying to get people off IE6.. surprisingly it's because IE6 is terrible in terms of security, what with it being released, oh, 11 years ago with the last update being just under 4 years ago. This is just an example. A majority of the time updates are not just aesthetic, there are behind-the-scenes updates fixing security, for example. Yes, firefox's new release cycle is stupid, or at least poorly executed, but that's not really the point. I'm also not sure where you're getting this feature bloating thing from, Chrome isn't exactly complicated.

Oh, and your argument contains a whole load of assertions, I'll do my best to ignore them.

I completely agree with Guy here, and I'm not saying the latest versions are the better, especially with Firefox (where I agree the programmers are pretty bad, but at least versions like version 4 are much faster than 3.5.x and safer), but staying in outdated versions is a security issue on any computer. If your computer is too old to handle more recent versions of stuff, then it is time to upgrade, and computers are pretty cheap these days.

Also, from experience (as you say) I know that upgrading IE doesn't change the look of Windows Explorer.

I'm not going to say more about this, pretty much answers the essential part of your rant.

You know what ticks me off about more recent browsers, and why I consider them to be less secure in some situations compared to older browsers? All the feature bloat that causes them to be even more vulnerable to attacks and slower on older systems. (Not everybody has the money to upgrade their hardware, damnit!)

One word:

Chrome.

One of the fastest browsers in existence, and not to mention arguably the most secure as well.

However, I have no problem with the latest version of Firefox either, and it's in fact my browser of choice, simply because of all the extensions I use on it.

Also I don't know if you're stating the UI upgrades from Windows XP -> Windows 7 were a bad thing, or just IE6 -> 7/8/9? Again, this is subjective, but Windows 7 is arguably the best OS that Microsoft has ever produced.

@DVD: Funny you seem to care so much about browser security, yet you're advocating the use of one of the most compromised browsers ever made.

http://www.trotec-blog.com/en/trotec/microsoft-confirms-ie6-security-risk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#Vulnerabilities

Okay, for those of you going nuts at me about IE6... Had any of you noticed that loading .Net Framework 3.5+ on Windows XP tries to load some things that try to take a swing at the Windows XP Interface? That happened to load bits of IE7+ features, such as Windows Cardspace, and we almost ended up with things getting severely changed. (A bit mad from that one, but that's how I know IE7+ stuff messes with XP-type things, and I'm surprised anyone is seeing different from me there.) Also, as I said before, I don't use it except on clean sites where I need to pull it up. Last time that happened? Oh, about 3 years ago, and haven't bothered it since. And no, I don't advocate usage of it, but I don't recommend upgrading unless you want to see possible interface bleed. Again, sick of the Micro$oft Burn on this, and the last to be said in regard to IE-related stuff here.

As for MageUK's confusion about Windows versions, I'm not targeting Windows 7. Don't blow a fuse, please!

As for Chrome-related discussion, have any of you checked Google's Privacy Policy lately? Well, guess what... If you're using Chrome, kiss your privacy goodbye. Google is planing to data-mine the hell out of you, and anyone else that even touches their site/services. The only good thing there ever was about that blasted Chrome browser anyway was its' ability to sandbox and separate everything into its' own sub-process bricks, so nothing could bleed over. Sadly, that's not enough reason to trip over to another browser, especially when privacy becomes at-threat. In fact, if you include privacy concerns, it can drive vulnerability counts through the roof where you might not have thought it possible. I don't even use FireFox's search bar, and rely on keyword triggers because of this. Oh, and that reminds me, the interface on Chrome is junk. They treat the user like all they need is a simple button set and know nothing, and that's simply not true. Users should be able to have everything they want in front of them, and I haven't found one instance yet from Google that even allows that. Not everyone wants a simplistic interface, and quite a lot of people love bells and whistles all in an array in their view! Also, Google has gone and made me mad in other ways I won't discuss here due to how off-track things would get. So, end of Chrome-related discussion for now, too. (I'm even starting to think I need to go find a new search engine, but there's no one out there lately that I could begin to feel safe with, huh?)

Finally, the browser I'm using 3.5.x-series of, Firefox. Literally, I'm stuck on this front, as any upgrade will cause loss of at least one extension for me. That's honestly intolerable, and the developers at Mozilla should be valuing their user community more than they are. I've seen extension developers quit because Mozilla made the atmosphere at AMO intolerable for them. Worse, going FF4+ will result in loss of wanted interface design, such as separated stop/reload/go buttons! Yes, there are situations I've been in where I need to trigger a sudden change of direction without wasting time to stop the previous action! Honestly, upgrade your browser and be forced to waste time to change direction? NO, you don't do that to users, and there's zero browsers I can switch to recent versions of in order to break away from this problem, because they're all assuming they can make you waste time on that. (And yes, I do use the address bar rather heavily, in case you're wondering.) Oh, and if anyone can show me a way to avoid losing extensions with a "maxVersion" of "3.5.*", I'll gladly push up at least to FireFox's 3.6.x-series latest version! Which, BTW, when did Mozilla think it was such a great idea to go silently knocking extensions out from under me and other users? They've been doing it since I went past 2.0.0.x-series, damnit. It's yet one more reason to be angry, as it forced me to disable blocklisting to protect my FireFox configuration properly, even from Mozilla themselves.

As I buzz off for the last time from this thread with a bad case of burnout, and won't be checking for replies, I'll leave some last notes... I guess these sites, the browser makers, etc. have all driven me to the point of paranoia. But when you end up experiencing situations where you keep getting burned, what's bound to happen? Some people don't take well to having the floor ripped from under them, and I'm one amongst the lot of them. I can understand change, and can even accept it for that matter, but never when it's intentionally done in a wrongful manner. Very simply, NO browser maker has the right morally/ethically to go around breaking other people's things because they want them to upgrade, and they should be made to make sure their userbase's stuff can always work, even if they have to provide engine patches. Heck, at least the WinAmp Devs were smart enough to do that, so why can't everyone else be?

~D. V. "And I'm skipping the emotes due to this case of burnout, too..." Devnull

(p.s.: Chock anything I've possibly missed in this reply to being due to my level of burnout... Bye.)

Not going to argue because he thinks he's computer literate but anyway, outdated = lack of security, at this point. ie6 isn't even supported by developpers anymore.

Thanks for respecting the request to get back on topic. *cough*

Anyone else who wants to discuss the issue of browser versions may do so in another topic. Posts past this point will simply be removed and appropriate action taken.

Thanks for your cooperation. :rolleyes:

hzvjpwS.gif