Ghosts

Dizzle229

Hoping to create a discussion worthy thread in order to give OT a little kick.

What are your views on the existence or investigation of "ghosts"? I think we had something like this years ago, but I can't remember exactly when. I say "ghosts" and not paranormal, because IMO the title of paranormal doesn't really work. If something exists, then it just seems to follow that is has SOME scientific explanation, regardless of whether or not we've figured it out.

Personally: I'm not going to lie, I really, REALLY want to believe there's something to it, but it would be a little dishonest with myself to say that I believe there is. I think evidence is sufficient to warrant a lot of looking into it, but absolutely nothing can be assumed, because if there is any truth to it, none of the evidence collected really guarantees anything.

Gained interest in making this thread after recently getting into Ghost Adventures, and while I like the show, I've been a little annoyed at the way they present their EVP evidence. Some of them are actually pretty good, but sometimes the interpretations and subtitles they give them are a MASSIVE stretch.

In the meantime, this is somewhat amusing. (Guy had the site rigged.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RTX8Y-uRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGFeAsQbMAo&feature=related

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Wasn't it you who posted a thread last year or 2 years ago about exploring a house to look for paranormal activities?

Yes, but it was more of a blog type of thing rather than asking people what they think. Even before the end of that thread, interest within our group turned more to exploring abandoned areas rather than the idea of paranormal investigations (we had a couple of things happen, but nothing that we didn't find a more likely explanation for.) We continue to do the exploring, but the actual ghost hunting is an idea that has only recently resurfaced. The thread ended because I didn't think there'd be as much interest in a "look at the abandoned place" thread.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I believe there is absolutely no evidence for the existence of ghosts

Disagree.

and any 'research' on the subject is pseudoscience.

Agree.

Something I absolutely hate: "Psychic Mediums". Rather, I hate that people are willing to give them money. They way I think an investigation should be run is with cameras, recorders, and things you can later play back and try to replicate. A "psychic" is someone you hand a small fortune to so they can walk in with you and say "Yep, definitely haunted", and walk out with your cash.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I used to watch Most Haunted as a kid and I believed that but now I've gotten older I've wised up a little. I still somewhat believe, however. My family have had a few small, weird things happen which could have been ghost, could have been nothing. I've done Ouija boards before as a child, again, could have been nothing. I don't think we have enough evidence but I like to think that with enough scientific advancement and research we could get closer to finding an answer.

Also I love ghosts & the paranormal, horror movies scare the bajesus out of me but I still love them :P One of my favourite horror films, Grave Encounters, is about a group of TV paranormal investigators :P

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well well well. I'm a believer, due to something that happened to me, when I was around 10. Not completely ghosts the way many think of them, ethereal characters and all that. They're more like lost memories, roaming about in the instant their owner died. Most of them are only capable of affecting our mind, some even more.

Anyway, my story.

When I was around 10, we moved to a nearby house, only two previous owners, very nice neighborhood. There wasn't really anything in the beginning, but after a few months I started getting nightmares, or whatever they were. Every night I woke up, sweaty, screaming and crying, every single night for around 1½ years. I have no memory of the dream, not the slightest idea what it was about, forgot it all very soon after I woke up and rushed through the house to my mothers bedroom.

After 1½ years it stopped, and I never really thought about it again.

Many years later, when I was 17, my mother told me something. She reminded me of the above experience. Ofcourse I could remember it had happened, "but what did it really matter now?" I thought. She then proceded to tell me, that the day they stopped, she had invited one of her friends over. A shaman, from somewhere in the far east, now living here in denmark now. The shaman and my mother had cleansed the house, and while the rest of us were in school and work. Her husband, my sister nor I knew anything about it. The shaman had told my mother, that the original owners of the house, had lost their son in a car crash, and my room was what used to be his.

I believe what I experienced, was the last moment of that boys life, still buzzing around as a vague energy, waiting to me released and erased.

There's many more details to the story, but can't be bothered to write that much right now.

Ramble On!

benneburg3aq.png

I aint afraid of no ghost!

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I've never had much of an interest in ghosts, nor have I ever experienced anything that would make me believe in their existence.

Likewise.

I enjoy ghost movies :mrgreen: but as for the real thing? I'm inclined to say they don't exist. My parents have told me stories of their experiences (voices, bad time with a ouija board, etc), and my girlfriend tells me she believes in them, but there is no such belief in my head. Once we pop our clogs that's the end of us as far as I'm concerned.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I am not as easily frightened by the supernatural compared to when I was younger (in fact, I am more fascinated), but I do personally believe in them. The only real dabbling I did in them was reading books and watching classic horror shows/movies. As for actual "haunted" sites, I know a few in my area, but won't go near them since most of the the places are houses that aren't safe to enter. It's not really the ghosts that intrigue me, but the weird occurrences in addition to other bits.

For horror genres, I love them since they still actually can scare me and that the areas have a good lore and backstory that makes them stand out as well as the odd phenomena of changes that occur when a "haunting" occurs, appealing to my liking of history and technology.

As for experiences, I only can go on a random odd light that can be explained.

EDIT: I should also mention my interest in the paranormal can be related to the fact my state is practically littered with infamous stories and "haunted"/abandoned places with very dark backstories, such as breweries and hospitals that had their own documentaries or episodes on TV shows.

I believe there is absolutely no evidence for the existence of ghosts

Disagree.

and any 'research' on the subject is pseudoscience.

Agree.

I'd think that if there was any evidence of such, it'd get filtered out because of all of the pseudoscience and hoaxes. Kind of like 'the boy who cried wolf', but with scientists. "What makes this guy claiming to have evidence of ghosts/etc any different than the other x number of people who made the same claim and weren't able to back it up with science?" Most likely nothing, but you never know.

Of course, I'm just saying that because I'm vaguely interested in the topic.

As for potential experiences... Every night I go to sleep hearing the kinds of sounds that people would attribute to ghosts - Strange popping from inside the walls/above the ceiling and the like. Explainable? Most likely, I'm in an old house. The strange breathing sound, on the other hand... :ohnoes:

There are no ghosts, there is an explanation for everything.

Have you ever listened to EVP's you've recorded yourself and hear clear-speaking voices? I have. Give me the explanation for a little girl's voice on the digital recorder when there is no one in the house under 20, and no other female in the home besides myself.

I don't believe every case is a case of ghosts or any sort of paranormal activity. But I don't blindly deny their existence...or even the chance of it. Reason should be promoted--always look first for an explanation. But sometimes there just aren't any. And yes, while we might later find the scientific reasoning for them, it's kind of hard to imagine science explaining away things like EVPs.

hzvjpwS.gif

Give me the explanation for a little girl's voice on the digital recorder when there is no one in the house under 20, and no other female in the home besides myself.

I don't believe every case is a case of ghosts or any sort of paranormal activity. But I don't blindly deny their existence...or even the chance of it. Reason should be promoted--always look first for an explanation. But sometimes there just aren't any. And yes, while we might later find the scientific reasoning for them, it's kind of hard to imagine science explaining away things like EVPs.

This, it's EVP's, video/thermal and stuff that are the most convincing IMO.

As for that EVP you mentioned... post? :thumbsup:

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

My belief system works as follows:

1) Can it be proven conclusively either way? No, in this case.

2) What's your gut insinct telling you? There's no reason to believe they exist, or at least I've had no experience which could be reasonably explained by "ghosts".

I don't believe in the supernatural, metaphysical, or the paranormal. There has never been conclusive evidence of it, despite thousands of years of the existence of the hypothesis.

One could reasonably conclude that if it's as prevalent as it is claimed to be, that there would be something confirming its existence by now. There's no reason why that could not be the case, so it's pretty safe to say that they don't exist. Do ghosts matter to us, if they did exist?

One could reasonably conclude that if it's as prevalent as it is claimed to be, that there would be something confirming its existence by now. There's no reason why that could not be the case, so it's pretty safe to say that they don't exist.

Aka I never looked into anything I'm talking about or have convinced myself and therefore everything is false and it doesn't exist.

I can reasonably conclude you haven't a shred of experience on the matter and I can confirm you're full of it.

hzvjpwS.gif

There's nothing to look into, because there's nothing there. If we go by reality by reality's terms, there has been zero evidence of anything that proves the supernatural/metaphysical/paranormal.

You're also in no authority to belittle others. It's a laughable attempt at discrediting argument though.

EDIT - I like how you choose metaphors that lack any relevance.

Assume and Kimberly, I realise your opinions differ on the matter, but let's keep the discussion civil.

My opinion is that I've never seen convincing, scientific evidence that ghosts are anything but the result of the occasional mistakes of the manipulable human mind. There's no need to believe in paranormal ghosts either, they don't answer any important phenomenon that can't be explained otherwise.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I have stories from my mother, who moved around a lot as a child, and as an example she's talked about the house they had where the stove would always be on when they got home.

From my own experiences, an observation I have had is that ever since we moved the Dog kennel to the back yard, where it has line of site to the 'graveyard' where we have buried all our previous dogs, sometimes the dogs will bark at that spot when there doesn't seem to be anything there. Maybe its just the wildlife that is being barked at and I can't see it or hear it, or maybe they bark at nothing in every direction and I just don't notice, but there seems to be an inordinate amount of barking at that one spot to me when there doesn't seem to be anything to bark at.

Other than that, I thought I saw something on a local road across the lake on an evening boat ride once when I was little. I suspect it was my mind playing tricks on me, especially since what I thought I saw was a steam engine, and there have never been train tracks in that area as far as I know. It still makes me uneasy if I look across the water that way at night though.

I have had very unexplainable experiences which I believe were supernatural. My brother has caught very strange sounds during the night, so loud on his digital recorder that you'd think we would've heard them. But nope. Also, I've audibly (as in, no digital recorder) heard noises that have no explanation.

Obviously though, it's all in my head. Two people can have shared visual hallucinations, hear their names called, and so much more. We're liars or schizophrenics. /s

ozXHe7P.png

On the topic of stories we know, I have one that doesn't count as evidence, but still kind of creepy.

I had a cousin who, when he was alone in the house with his mother, would often play in the backyard with her. She says that until he was about 6 he would sometimes wave at the "man in the window", who she never saw.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png