Guest Rob

korra is kind of a crappy bender compared to aang and she looks older than aang in the first show. and that's when aang only knew one element to bend.

Aang was 10 in TLA. Korra is 17. Aang was a master of airbending at age 10, forced onto that path from an early age with the weight of the world on his shoulders to stop the fierce war breaking out across the land. Korra had everything on a plate for her thanks to the road of peace paved by previous generations as well as seclusion from most of the world. The world was more "aware" of their Avatar this time around and didn't want to lose her for another 100 years.

I don't see why having different pressures for different main characters is a "bad" or "lame thing" unless people were crying out for a cookie-cutter copy of TLA.

toph's earth armor (and korra knows how to earthbend...) would basically make the equalists worthless in a battle.

Who is to say she won't use that yet? Or anything else? 4th episode in--be patient.

hzvjpwS.gif

korra is kind of a crappy bender compared to aang and she looks older than aang in the first show. and that's when aang only knew one element to bend.

Aang was 10 in TLA. Korra is 17. Aang was a master of airbending at age 10, forced onto that path from an early age with the weight of the world on his shoulders to stop the fierce war breaking out across the land. Korra had everything on a plate for her thanks to the road of peace paved by previous generations as well as seclusion from most of the world. The world was more "aware" of their Avatar this time around and didn't want to lose her for another 100 years.

I don't see why having different pressures for different main characters is a "bad" or "lame thing" unless people were crying out for a cookie-cutter copy of TLA.

toph's earth armor (and korra knows how to earthbend...) would basically make the equalists worthless in a battle.

Who is to say she won't use that yet? Or anything else? 4th episode in--be patient.

Wasn't Aang 12 (112 really) in TLA? As for "earth armor", that is metal. The problem with armor is that it would be impractical for moving around and attacking the chi-blockers (which is already difficult as it is), but it's uncertain why metal armor unless to band as an on-hand weapon.

As for saying the Equalists are worthless in battle, I have to disagree. From what I've seen, most benders in the series are far from familiar from the fighting styles used by the Equalist fighters, which incorporates rather amazing agility and reflexes. Saying they are useless in battle. Even if they can't chi-block metalbenders wearing the armor (assuming they can't touch them), we already know of someone in the ranks who uses static batons.

Toph used earth armor waaay before she learned metal bending.

And you missed my point. I said if Korra used earth armor (which basically protects ALL her nerves), she has no problem with chi-blockers.

And Korra is a master of fire, water and earth. All of which she's showed to be mediocre in. And don't give me that pressure BS. There was pressure on Aang, but there wasn't a war yet. He never fought in a real battle until after he was unfrozen. Even remember the first episode, he was incredibly childish. More than Korra who only wants to fight.

Plus she was taught by Katara who knew what the avatar will have to deal with.

It's understandable that the show makers just don't want Korra kicking ass, but neutering her like this to fit their story sucks.

Don't be upset because I'm criticizing the show. Jesus.

^ lol you come off as someone who enjoys chiding someone when they respond unreasonably to legitimate criticisms because you like the feeling of superiority it gives you.

unfortunately you appear a bit overzealous about this because no where did i get the impression that kimberly was upset by your posts.

i think she is telling you to be patient as a helpful suggestion, because that is how she prefers to deal with the uncomfortable exclamations of - why doesn't korra make earth armour! plot hole!

while you seem to deal with it by attempting to ruin everyone else's conception of the show in the same way it ruined your own. this is what is referred to in the behavioral psychology literature as displaced aggression .

Toph used earth armor waaay before she learned metal bending.

And you missed my point. I said if Korra used earth armor (which basically protects ALL her nerves), she has no problem with chi-blockers.

And Korra is a master of fire, water and earth. All of which she's showed to be mediocre in. And don't give me that pressure BS. There was pressure on Aang, but there wasn't a war yet. He never fought in a real battle until after he was unfrozen. Even remember the first episode, he was incredibly childish. More than Korra who only wants to fight.

Plus she was taught by Katara who knew what the avatar will have to deal with.

It's understandable that the show makers just don't want Korra kicking ass, but neutering her like this to fit their story sucks.

Don't be upset because I'm criticizing the show. Jesus.

HAHA YEAH AND WHY DIDN'T HARRY POTTER JUST SHOOT VOLDEMORT AMIRITE GUYS? GUYS? I THINK I SEE A PLOT HOLE OVER HERE GUYS.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

^ lol you come off as someone who enjoys chiding someone when they respond unreasonably to legitimate criticisms because you like the feeling of superiority it gives you.

unfortunately you appear a bit overzealous about this because no where did i get the impression that kimberly was upset by your posts.

i think she is telling you to be patient as a helpful suggestion, because that is how she prefers to deal with the uncomfortable exclamations of - why doesn't korra make earth armour! plot hole!

while you seem to deal with it by attempting to ruin everyone else's conception of the show in the same way it ruined your own. this is what is referred to in the behavioral psychology literature as displaced aggression .

Seriously? There's a lot of hypocrisy going on with this post.

JeoZ7.gif

and it's not JUST earth armor either. Here's a funny pic I found showing what Korra should be able to do (I didn't make it, just another person with some logic)

RSqlS.jpg

HAHA YEAH AND WHY DIDN'T HARRY POTTER JUST SHOOT VOLDEMORT AMIRITE GUYS? GUYS? I THINK I SEE A PLOT HOLE OVER HERE GUYS.

I use caps because I can't make an argument and I don't like this show getting criticized.

I use caps because I can't make an argument and I don't like this show getting criticized.

Neither can I so I will use this MSPaint drawing check and mate good sir.

Other than that, I don't really see what you're trying to get at with the picture or with you're whole neutering spiel. She's faced Equalists like four-five times? First time she didn't know what they were capable of, second time she knocks out the Equalists' second-in-command, third time it's a group of trainees not expecting, last time she was surrounded and still sent a bunch of them flying with earth and firebending. Please enlighten me how those wacky pictures would have helped her out in those situations. And the earth armour thing is pretty dumb, sorry.

Also the fact that you believe the new series storyline is worse than TLA means yeah you should probably find something else to watch.

I'm okay with people criticising shows I like if the criticisms are valid. It just sounds like you don't like the show. :v

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Except that I already wrote my argument before posting that "MSPaint drawing"

Sorry if I'm hurting your feelings by criticizing the show. But calling my criticism "dumb" is just as ignorant as using capital letters.

As an avatar, a master of three elements, she should be capable of handling those guys easier. Martial artists manhandling the avatar is a terrible way to start the show. And again, I'll keep watching the show because I can, I do live in a free country unlike you. You don't have to read my posts though, if they hurt.

Except that I already wrote my argument before posting that "MSPaint drawing"

Sorry if I'm hurting your feelings by criticizing the show. But calling my criticism "dumb" is just as ignorant as using capital letters.

As an avatar, a master of three elements, she should be capable of handling those guys easier. Martial artists manhandling the avatar is a terrible way to start the show. And again, I'll keep watching the show because I can, I do live in a free country unlike you. You don't have to read my posts though, if they hurt.

Why? Aang was still getting outfought by Ty Lee and he had mastered four (4) elements. They're setting up a credible antagonist with legitimate grievances to tell a story, which is why they have people trained specifically to combat benders beating a very young Avatar who has no experience in fighting beyond sparring and pro-bending some of the time generally when they have an advantage in either surprise or numbers.

And I suppose your comparison to Aang would be apt if they were the same person but they're quite obviously not so ?

I'm sorry you're not criticising the show and I'm not getting angry and I don't live in North Korea or wherever. You're 0 for 3 on weird assumptions so far. But I have been coerced into an intellectual slapfight over the internet which rarely happens so well done I guess

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Aang didn't get outfought by Ty Lee after he mastered 4 elements. He went soft on her maybe because he never really wanted to hurt her. Even with the FIrelord, he still didn't want to drill him when he could. He just took away his power and locked him up.

The best bit of your post:

And I suppose your comparison to Aang would be apt if they were the same person but they're quite obviously not so ?

Korra is Aang reincarnate. Maybe they're not the same person, but even Aang showed the personalities of the previous avatars which is how they found out he was the avatar.

Big fan you are, lol.

Aang didn't get outfought by Ty Lee after he mastered 4 elements. He went soft on her maybe because he never really wanted to hurt her. Even with the FIrelord, he still didn't want to drill him when he could. He just took away his power and locked him up.

The best bit of your post:

Korra is Aang reincarnate. Maybe they're not the same person, but even Aang showed the personalities of the previous avatars which is how they found out he was the avatar.

Big fan you are, lol.

Well then going by your logic Korra is just going soft on all the Equalists. Problem solved. But since your logic isn't correct (Kyoshi was about as far from Aang's personality as Korra's is from Aang), we're back to square one, aren't we? They knew Aang was the Avatar because he picked relics the previous Avatars possessed.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

The one thing that all avatars showed is that they are prodigies in bending their natural element. Roku with fire, Kyoshi with earth, Aang with air. But Korra is mediocre with water. I'd even go as far as saying that Katara had more impressive techniques when she was 3 years younger.

Korra's bending was neutered for the sake of making her character fit with the story so far, only an absolute idiot would refuse to accept that. I'm sure she'll get better when she meets new enemies. I mean how could they stretch this out to more than one season if they don't. But so far, the show has been disappointing.

Personally, I don't think Aang was a very good fighter. I mean, he almost lost damn near every fight he was in. He mostly won because of Avatar hax, help from friends, or his enemies not being prepared to fight an airbender.

With Korra and the Equalists, they're being specifically trained to fight master benders and block their chi. Even if Korra is the Avatar she's at a huge disadvantage when she has to fight more than one. They have to fight earthbenders so the solution isn't as easy as "use rock armor" and waterbending will probably get her killed with the static baton fighters. Of course, she can't use airbending yet so her only option is firebending.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

hmm it does really appear that you like scolding other people for getting upset at your legitimate criticisms.

to me your criticisms are dumb because they seem to be made with the intent of stirring up trouble, not because they are unreasonable (i haven't thought about it so wouldn't know).

Creating fictional worlds is difficult. they tend to have plotholes. even books that are planned out for years - where the author can include and explain as much as he wants - have plot holes. This is nothing new. To think korra fans would be ignorant of such a thing seems rather naive.

Korra is mediocre at bending likely because she's impatient and doesn't understand the spiritual side of it.

Korra is mediocre at bending likely because she's impatient and doesn't understand the spiritual side of it.

Which was pretty much directly stated in the first episode :razz:

Will be interesting to see her character development. She's 'had everything handed to her', and that seems to have made her arrogant. That arrogance/impatience is keeping her from pretty much everything she needs to learn. Evident in the way that her strategy is "Hit it hard. If that doesn't work, hit it harder"... Which probably also keeps her from using any of the tricks Faux posted :razz:

hmm it does really appear that you like scolding other people for getting upset at your legitimate criticisms.

to me your criticisms are dumb because they seem to be made with the intent of stirring up trouble, not because they are unreasonable (i haven't thought about it so wouldn't know).

Creating fictional worlds is difficult. they tend to have plotholes. even books that are planned out for years - where the author can include and explain as much as he wants - have plot holes. This is nothing new. To think korra fans would be ignorant of such a thing seems rather naive.

It's not just a plothole. It's about having a weak story in general. Martial artists beating up master benders is a weak story.

Things like this makes me miss the old TIF when it was normal to have differing opinions. Now it's "stirring up trouble". Just weird.

It's not just a plothole. It's about having a weak story in general. Martial artists beating up master benders is a weak story.

Things like this makes me miss the old TIF when it was normal to have differing opinions. Now it's "stirring up trouble". Just weird.

Not when the master martial artists are being specifically trained to sap the master benders' power and the master benders are only being trained to knock each other off of a ledge.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Not when the master martial artists are being specifically trained to sap the master benders' power and the master benders are only being trained to knock each other off of a ledge.

Yep, that's a weak story.

Went from saving the world to fighting nutjob extremists. Kind of a huge jump in significance. Maybe it's just me.

Yep, that's a weak story.

I don't understand how it's a weak story. Benders (of Republic City) have become weak. They're all either sports junkies or street thugs. Non-benders are actively training in defeating these benders, therefore they're actually able to win fights against benders.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Then it's probably better for them to lose their bending then considering they're just thugs. It's not like Amon are trying to kill all non-benders. He's just removing their powers. TLA had episode arcs that were more interesting than this.

Then it's probably better for them to lose their bending then considering they're just thugs. It's not like Amon are trying to kill all non-benders. He's just removing their powers. TLA had episode arcs that were more interesting than this.

But he's removing the powers of innocents as well. For most benders bending is their entire life. What's a pro bender or metalbending police officer going to do when he can't bend anymore? It's likely they didn't go to any post-secondary schooling (Is secondary schooling even required for benders?) and that they didn't take up a trade. You can't just take away the one thing that somebody has been doing for their entire life and has their entire future based on it.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

That would take way too much assumption for me to answer. I'm only basing my opinion on what they've shown so far. Taking away bending = meh story. Amon's army is a huge step down from the Fire Nation.

And just watch this montage (only one I could find without cheesy music) for example. Can you imagine non-avatar benders like Toph or Azula getting beat by non-benders? That's one of the fault of the series. They made bending so impressive in the original and then attempted to turn it into something as weak as they've shown in LOK. Just disappointing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ko7VusR04