Guest Rob

it's a cartoon guys. just friggin' enjoy it.

Personally I'm impressed at how such a totally different direction they've taken the universe while still holding my interest. I love me a good revolution/ambiguous justice trope.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

It's rather hard to just treat something with a rather well-written story with various characters that people to relate to as a "cartoon", especially one with a direction of diving into the darker territory like Korra. There is something about talking about the lifestyles and mechanics of a series such as this one that enhances (saying it in neutral context) the viewing experience. Yeah, I think that is what most would consider our idea of enjoying it. As for the Azula V. Amon, Amon. We haven't seen Amon have a break-down on-screen but he has shown to out-do Azula in psychological warfare, manipulation, and knows well enough not to take a wrong misstep. Sometimes, I keep forgetting Amon is technically a non-bender half the time.

Can't wait for Episode 5, but it would be nice if the trailers didn't spoil things. <_<

Not when the master martial artists are being specifically trained to sap the master benders' power and the master benders are only being trained to knock each other off of a ledge.

Yep, that's a weak story.

Went from saving the world to fighting nutjob extremists. Kind of a huge jump in significance. Maybe it's just me.

So it's a "weak story" because the immediate destruction of the world isn't at hand? Wow lol - If that's the measure you put to stories, you can't really like a lot of them. Not everything always has to be about the fate of the world, you know. Often those stories without those elements are actually better, because they don't rely on all that fortune-telling and frequent deux-ex-machine kind of events. Besides, if the equalists are successful, it will still be a huge shock for the entire society, possibly more drastic than being conquered by the firenation.

As for the chi-bending vs. normal bending - Ty lee was superior in most of the fights in TLA, and she was just one, against benders that were FAR more skilled than Korra.

Honestly, I'm willing to argue but your BS about Ty Lee being superior to benders is just way too much. First of all, Ty Lee was as successful as she was because she surprised everyone for being a really young girl. She was also one of the first chi-blockers ever and benders have no idea what she could do. She was still obviously weak compared to Zuko, Azula, Toph and Aang. All of which could negate her speed with AOE bending.

But chi-blockers in this show aren't a surprise. You'd think that after the first couple fights that Korra wouldn't be such an idiot and figure out their weakness. But that's the premise of the show. The new avatar is an idiot with average bending skills.

And yes, it's a weak story despite your attempt to take it out of context. Your exaggerations about the impact of Amon vs the Firelord is also funny. But whatever, that's too subjective to argue over. This'll probably my last post until after I watch the next episode anyway. Arguing with blind fanboys is fun but tiring ;)

Honestly, I'm willing to argue but your BS about Ty Lee being superior to benders is just way too much. First of all, Ty Lee was as successful as she was because she surprised everyone for being a really young girl. She was also one of the first chi-blockers ever and benders have no idea what she could do. She was still obviously weak compared to Zuko, Azula, Toph and Aang. All of which could negate her speed with AOE bending.

But chi-blockers in this show aren't a surprise. You'd think that after the first couple fights that Korra wouldn't be such an idiot and figure out their weakness. But that's the premise of the show. The new avatar is an idiot with average bending skills.

And yes, it's a weak story despite your attempt to take it out of context. Your exaggerations about the impact of Amon vs the Firelord is also funny. But whatever, that's too subjective to argue over. This'll probably my last post until after I watch the next episode anyway. Arguing with blind fanboys is fun but tiring ;)

So anyone not agreeing with you is a blind fanboy? Yeah right :rolleyes:

Sure, the first time(s) Ty lee had the advantage of surprise. But after that, she didn't, and she still fared fairly well. While she would probably lose to benders of the like of those you named, it would be far from an easy fight. And those were top-notch benders. Korra isn't. She hasn't grown into her role yet. You can call her "idiot with average bending skills" - while it's hyperbole and excludes that she is rather just inexperienced still has some truth. Yes, Korra's bending isn't good. Yes, she could have used better strategies. But you know, considering the world is currently quite stable, it would make for a very boring story if Korra could just breeze through all her enemies because there is no one serious to face her.

As for the weak story: Care to explain why it is weak in your eyes? The only real argument I've noticed is that it's not about the fate of the world unlike TLA, and you said I was taking you out of context on that.

As for the exaggeration: What exactly would happen if Ozai won? He would've conquered the rest of the world (which wasn't that much left). He would have put benders into prison to work for him. He would generally be your typical oppressor. But apart from that? A lot of people already were under his thumb. Sure it wasn't great for them, but in terms of the actual consequences, they were not *that* big - the general life and society was still intact. If all benders lose their power, society will change drastically. There would be no more power stations, a lot of the inventions people got used to would be worthless. A lot of people would try to revolt, try to gain power. There would be most likely no functioning government.

Everything in this world adheres to the fact that you have benders. Removing bending would cause utter chaos.

Edit: Just as an example, imagine if we suddenly had no more electric power. Everything that relied on electricity is now useless. Do you realize what would happen? Within weeks, if not days, governments would unable to do something against the chaos. The world of Avatar is similarly dependant on bending (Though not just as extremely as we are on electricity)

Guest Rob

Has there ever been an evil Avatar? Is it even "possible" for the Avatar to be evil?

I don't think it it, as an Avatar is someone who must keep balance in the world.

But that's the premise of the show. The new avatar is an idiot with average bending skills.

Come on. I don't think many people would want to see 2 seasons of Korra standing on an Earth tower shooting fish in a barrel. Is there a plot hole? Sure. Now find me one fantasy show without any sort-of plot hole or obvious second-options for characters to avoid trouble. The arguments you're using are similar to something like, "Plankton could have just hired someone to buy a Krabby Patty for him, therefore Spongebob Squarepants is the worst show ever".

Come on. I don't think many people would want to see 2 seasons of Korra standing on an Earth tower shooting fish in a barrel. Is there a plot hole? Sure. Now find me one fantasy show without any sort-of plot hole or obvious second-options for characters to avoid trouble. The arguments you're using are similar to something like, "Plankton could have just hired someone to buy a Krabby Patty for him, therefore Spongebob Squarepants is the worst show ever".

This plus her being an "idiot with average bending skills" is the premise of the show as well. Nobody would watch a show where the hero(ine) was perfect in every way and had no challenges to overcome, and they did manage to explain/justify her personality/behaviors better than most series.

The pacing for LOK is all over the place. We just had an important confrontation with Amon and suddenly all Avatar training and Spec Op missions stop for a tournament and romance? Also, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU KORRA?! Asami is supposed to be the [bleep] not you!

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

The pacing for LOK is all over the place. We just had an important confrontation with Amon and suddenly all Avatar training and Spec Op missions stop for a tournament and romance? Also, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU KORRA?! Asami is supposed to be the [bleep] not you!

I'm happy to have this sort of "filler" episode. TLA had a fair share of them as well, and I think they were quite valuable in advancing the characters, something that LOK so far was missing a bit, imo.

The 'filler' episodes are what made TLA so awesome imo.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

The episode wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. The pro-bending scenes definitely made up for the dull teenage romance drama. I'm glad to see that it seems like they've gotten over it in one episode, now they can go back to the interesting conflicts.

Also glad to see Bolin being rad and stuff.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Personally I'm impressed at how such a totally different direction they've taken the universe while still holding my interest. I love me a good revolution/ambiguous justice trope.

I know right. Wasn't sure what to think the first few minutes in, but they did a surprisingly good job. :mrgreen:

The pro-bending scenes definitely made up for the dull teenage romance drama. I'm glad to see that it seems like they've gotten over it in one episode, now they can go back to the interesting conflicts.

The burping was hilarious. :D

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Guest Rob

Loading episode 5 right now! My internet is painfully slow for me right now :/

Edit:[hide] Episode 5 was really cool and funny. The burping scene made me laugh pretty hard (especially when it showed the other horrified couple). Also, the pro-bending fights were really cool to watch, albeit predictable.

Does Bolin remind anyone else of Sokka?[/hide]

Has there ever been an evil Avatar? Is it even "possible" for the Avatar to be evil?

The avatar brings balance to the forc--err universe.

"evil" is a relative term.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

So the new episode was basically the Wolfbats blatantly cheating and (almost) getting away with it, a massive terrorist attack on the bending arena and the typical nightmare fuel of de-bending electrocution and everyone being taken hostage. I actually cheered inside my head when Amon de-bended the Wolfbats, but Jesus...

Anyone else think it was a coincidence that the match that ended the Wolfbats' career and losing of their bending was their fourth match, especially given that this show has loads of Asian culture themes still?

So the new episode was basically the Wolfbats blatantly cheating and (almost) getting away with it, a massive terrorist attack on the bending arena and the typical nightmare fuel of de-bending electrocution and everyone being taken hostage. I actually cheered inside my head when Amon de-bended the Wolfbats, but Jesus...

Anyone else think it was a coincidence that the match that ended the Wolfbats' career and losing of their bending was their fourth match, especially given that this show has loads of Asian culture themes still?

[hide]I'm not really familiar with Asian culture - does the number 4 have a certain association(Such as the 8 meaning luck in china) or what?

Also, quite the interesting episode. Rather predictable but definitely fun to watch. I thought it was especially interesting to see those flashbacks again. I wonder where they come from. Could it be that this is Aang, trying to "communicate" with Korra to try to help her? It's already been hinted at that the incident 42 years ago was in some ways similar to this one.

Also, Amon seems comfortable with getting out in the open, compared to how he told Korra why he wouldn't kidnap her in episode 4. He has made it an event for the whole public and proven that he can take over an arena with police at every corner. Surely that would be enough for the city to ask for some outside help?[/hide]

[hide]I'm not really familiar with Asian culture - does the number 4 have a certain association(Such as the 8 meaning luck in china) or what?

Also, quite the interesting episode. Rather predictable but definitely fun to watch. I thought it was especially interesting to see those flashbacks again. I wonder where they come from. Could it be that this is Aang, trying to "communicate" with Korra to try to help her? It's already been hinted at that the incident 42 years ago was in some ways similar to this one.

Also, Amon seems comfortable with getting out in the open, compared to how he told Korra why he wouldn't kidnap her in episode 4. He has made it an event for the whole public and proven that he can take over an arena with police at every corner. Surely that would be enough for the city to ask for some outside help?[/hide]

In most Asian cultures, four is seen as unlucky because of translations make it related to the word for "death", so it's the eastern equivalent of the number thirteen.