Stellar Dawn put on hold

Swiller2

Expected, they never did anything about the game ' cept talk it up

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Found a bit more direct news on the cancelation of Stellar Dawn:

Develop- Jagex freezes Stellar Dawn development (I am not copy pasting the entire article, just the first bit)

12 jobs lost as studio reorganises to focus on RuneScape and Transformers Universe MMOs

Jagex has today put on hold development of its sci-fi MMO Stellar Dawn.

With immediate effect, development will cease, so as to allow the studio to focus more energy on the up and coming Transformers Universe MMO, and on its long standing core IP RuneScape.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Great, can we have the devs you moved over back on the RS team now? You guys absconded with the Temple Knights Dev, which is how we ended up with SITW :thumbdown:

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Until Jagex actually proves to me they can release a quality game and not either give up on it (FunOrb) or scrap it before being released (MechScape, Stellar Dawn, whatever the hell it's called these days), I'm not convinced they will be releasing Transformers either. RuneScape has been their only successful game. I thought FunOrb had potential, but I guess they thought it didn't. I can't imagine what a crappy job it must be to work there right now given that they are "restructuring" so much and nobody probably knows if they will still have their job the next day...

Come on, prove to me that you can release a game. You've yet to do so.

1.png
generic_signature.png

Mechscape/Stellar Dawn is a bit of a joke really.

It was like 5 years ago it was 'Coming soon' and had web addresses.

Then it was delayed and renamed and we've had like 2 calls for beta-tester registration; the msot recent of which was in 2010, which was also when they said the game will be out by the end of the year.

You can get a pretty decent MMO released from your sodding bedroom and grow it into a massive company, but with all the staff and millions of resources you can't even get a long awaited 2nd mmo launched with delaying and cancelling it for years on end.

One you must give them however is War of Legends is still going pretty strong, the only change on that fronts seems to be they stopped spamming Runescape site with news about it as that never went down well. Certainly seems to be a smaller slower dev process on War of Legends but its still getting regular updates and news and have an active community.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Every 6 months of so I would remember about this game and check the official site for updates, but it hadn't changed in years. Not really surprised at all.

Any ETA for the Transformers game? You would think they would be building some hype for it already.

Miseryism | Completionist

I guess my Stellar Dawn hoodie will be rare now :mrgreen:

Wear it to the next Runefest you attend?

Was planning on making an account to try it out to see what Jagex had learned from Runescape, not surprised though seeing as so little had been heard.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

Any ETA for the Transformers game? You would think they would be building some hype for it already.

They have actually built quite a bit.. WAY more than Stellar Dawn anyway. They've represented the game at several gaming conventions and there have been quite a few news articles about it (not surprising since it's such a popular IP). The ETA is late 2012.

I guess my Stellar Dawn hoodie will be rare now :mrgreen:

Wear it to the next Runefest you attend?

Sure, if I remember :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I can't imagine what a crappy job it must be to work there right now given that they are "restructuring" so much and nobody probably knows if they will still have their job the next day...

Good job working on Stellar Dawn. You're fired.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Mechscape/Stellar Dawn is a bit of a joke really.

It was like 5 years ago it was 'Coming soon' and had web addresses.

Then it was delayed and renamed and we've had like 2 calls for beta-tester registration; the msot recent of which was in 2010, which was also when they said the game will be out by the end of the year.

You can get a pretty decent MMO released from your sodding bedroom and grow it into a massive company, but with all the staff and millions of resources you can't even get a long awaited 2nd mmo launched with delaying and cancelling it for years on end.

One you must give them however is War of Legends is still going pretty strong, the only change on that fronts seems to be they stopped spamming Runescape site with news about it as that never went down well. Certainly seems to be a smaller slower dev process on War of Legends but its still getting regular updates and news and have an active community.

Well really I would say that War of Legends isn't doing particularly well anymore going off of the server count for the game (There is a fixed limit to the number of players on a server, and once you sign up on a server you are on that server and you will not be removed from it) that in early 2011 they were adding a server month or 2, but as far as I can tell Jagex hasn't added a new server in 10 months now

To summarize the status of Jagex's various games (atleast all the ones I know of):

Jagex Games Studio:

Runescape - Flagship Game

8realms - Too early to tell what its overall status is

Transformers Universe - In development

Stellar Dawn v2 - on hold Indefinately

Mechscape/Stellar Dawn v1 - Canceled

FunOrb - abandoned, Dev team transfered to 8realms

Freestanding games - dropped and incorperated into Funorb and runescape

Mobile games- abandoned with Funorb

Jagex Publishing:

War of Legends - Ongoing, seems to have issues attracting new users. Major bug issues and the game is 2 versions out of date presently.

Herotopia - Cannot find actual information on the status of the game

Planetarion - Abandoned, No Dev team assigned.

So yeah, the state of most of the games they have worked on is not very good

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

I told people numerous times, they already scrapped this game for $150M loss back in 2010, and used -some- ideas for RuneScape. It's where the graphics and armor rework came from, and part of Nex battle style.

553VriC.png?1

I told people numerous times, they already scrapped this game for $150M loss back in 2010, and used -some- ideas for RuneScape. It's where the graphics and armor rework came from, and part of Nex battle style.

Citation needed.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Ok, this WOULD be perfectly fine if it wasn't for the fact that Jagex hasn't said anything about this. The last we heard from Jagex was that the game was supposed to release Q1 of 2011. That statement must've been somewhere around mid 2010, when the Stellar Dawn website was launched.

I'm literally APPALED by this, after their initial plan to release "MechScape" in 2008 (I think).

The development of this game was what led to RSHD back in 2008. The communication here on Jagex' part is absolutely ridiculously bad. After endless years in production and minimal information the least thing they could do was warn us that the initial Q1 2011 release schedule would not be met. Instead we hear, a year later, that the production has been put on hold.

Are you frikking kidding me Jagex? What kind of marketing plan is this? No information and no excuses when you leave us in the dark for years and can't make up your mind about when to release.

Stick to RuneScape or get your act together!

Good god!

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Ok, this WOULD be perfectly fine if it wasn't for the fact that Jagex hasn't said anything about this. The last we heard from Jagex was that the game was supposed to release Q1 of 2011. That statement must've been somewhere around mid 2010, when the Stellar Dawn website was launched.

I'm literally APPALED by this, after their initial plan to release "MechScape" in 2008 (I think).

The development of this game was what led to RSHD back in 2008. The communication here on Jagex' part is absolutely ridiculously bad. After endless years in production and minimal information the least thing they could do was warn us that the initial Q1 2011 release schedule would not be met. Instead we hear, a year later, that the production has been put on hold.

Are you frikking kidding me Jagex? What kind of marketing plan is this? No information and no excuses when you leave us in the dark for years and can't make up your mind about when to release.

Good god!

Erm they haven't left us entirely in the dark the Stellar Dawn website, forums and releases to specific stellar dawn fan communities have been reasonably regular, the later especially. All they did do was stop bombarding 1 product (eg Rs) with news about another product (eg Stellar Dawn) as people moaned about that.

Certainly not perfect in terms of keeping us up to speed, but certainly not enetirely in the dark.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Good god!

Erm they haven't left us entirely in the dark the Stellar Dawn website, forums and releases to specific stellar dawn fan communities have been reasonably regular, the later especially. All they did do was stop bombarding 1 product (eg Rs) with news about another product (eg Stellar Dawn) as people moaned about that.

Certainly not perfect in terms of keeping us up to speed, but certainly not enetirely in the dark.

releases to specific stellar dawn fan communities have been reasonably regular

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to there? We never received any concept art, screenshots, no information about the game, etc. Any information we did get was pure speculation on our part. A few Stellar Dawn employees did post on Stellar Dawn Central but they never gave us any actual information. Almost all of their posts were just social/casual conversations.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Yes, the only thing I can ever remember they giving us was some art for MechScape (not SD), and then a few pieces of art for SD through the official homepage. And one audio track that was supposedly going to be in MechScape (again, not SD). The fact remains that we haven't from them AT ALL for the the last 1,5 years+. For a short amount of time some years ago there was a leaked MechScape trailer on the web, but it soon got pulled down by Jagex, saying this was a video to be used only internally, and didn't nearly represent what SD/MS looked like. It basically looked like RS in space, pictures of the trailer can be found here:

These are all minuscule or unintentional pieces of information. The rest was all very vague details of what the universe would be like, with 4 playable races. They even claimed they had found a way to get rid of grinding, then later admitted that was only a goal they were working towards but didn't reach, not an actual feature of the game. And with that BS, we were left in the dark for a long time. I haven't checked StellarDawnCentral.com for a long time, but looking through the news it seems that they are rather scarce. The last was in December, where the SD Vice President was quoted in a press release from a completely different site as saying sci-fi fans have a much brighter future. Jagex haven't bothered to keep in touch with the actual fansites at all (or almost, they sent a statement when SD was put on hold).

So I have no trouble maintaining that Jagex have handled this in an extraordinarily bad way, losing all interest before driving the game to a standstill. It has failed on all accounts, and I do of course wish Jagex good luck and urge them to keep thinking fresh ideas, but DO NOT make the same mistakes twice.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg