The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

With the beta signup only a week away, wed like to take a few moments to let you know how the beta will work and how you can get involved in shaping the future of combat in RuneScape!

In recognition of the commitment of our long-term members, everyone who registers for the beta who has been a member for 12 or more consecutive months will have full, unlimited access to the beta for the entirety of its duration. In addition to this, we will be choosing another 50,000 of our most active and committed members from the remaining pool of registrants. If youre not selected to participate though dont worry, as ALL members will have temporary access every weekend from the 7th of July until the beta closes. Not a member yet? Signup now.

The registration process will be open from the 1st to the 19th of June to members only. On June 1st, we will be adding an item to all player inventories. Clicking on this item will open the Evolution of Combat website, from which you can sign up to the beta for the chance to help define one of the biggest updates in RuneScapes history!

Invites will be sent out on the 26th of June, when the beta officially launches! Successful applicants will be able to log in to the beta worlds as soon as they receive their invite.

Over the coming weeks well be updating the Evolution of Combat website with everything you need to know about the beta process, as well as revealing lots of exciting new features you can expect to see in the Evolution of Combat Update.

In the mean time, check out the second ever instalment of the Behind The Scenes on video, with an exclusive interview with Mod Mark (Lead Designer), Mod Chris L and Mod Rathe (Lead Developers for Combat)

The RuneScape Team

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree. I don't like how you have to be a member for 12 consecutive months though, because I cancelled my subscription after the SoF update and just renewed it 3 days ago lol.

this does tell us that is it going to be a long time until we actually see the update though, maybe end of july?

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Great, don't think I've been a member consecutively for one year...tend to take breaks for rl reasons -.-

Btw, do you think they meant one year generally or will they only count the last year? So 12 months back from June 1?

Great, don't think I've been a member consecutively for one year...tend to take breaks for rl reasons -.-

Btw, do you think they meant one year generally or will they only count the last year? So 12 months back from June 1?

Hey guys, you'll need to have 12 months of consecutive membership prior to the day you sign up. So, if you sign up today, you will need to have been a member since the 25th of May 2011.

Mat.

(Mod Mat K)

also says how long on ur loyalty page.

ive got 11 months :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

says my next payout (loyalty ponts) is in 4 days so hell ya ill get to BETA test :thumbsup:

whens BETA open??

De_Toke.png
max.png
Quest cape since Jan. 30th, '08

says my next payout (loyalty ponts) is in 4 days so hell ya ill get to BETA test :thumbsup:

whens BETA open??

26-th june.

whens BETA open??

26-th june.

still so long :wall:

De_Toke.png
max.png

That's a neat way to thank consecutive members. They definitely deserve some praise on this. Yes, consecutive members will tend to keep paying, but you still don't want to piss them off. This was a good move, I think.

hzvjpwS.gif

That's a neat way to thank consecutive members. They definitely deserve some praise on this. Yes, consecutive members will tend to keep paying, but you still don't want to piss them off. This was a good move, I think.

Still think it should be members who have X months on record and an active membership on the 1st.

crossed_body.png

Still think it should be members who have X months on record and an active membership on the 1st.

Wouldn't do much good to them if you were a member for X months more than 3 years ago and only just came back from a hiatus.

hzvjpwS.gif

Wouldn't do much good to them if you were a member for X months more than 3 years ago and only just came back from a hiatus.

And why is that?

crossed_body.png

Just checked my date, just says June 2011. What's the betting that it won't count as 12 months if you subscribed after June 1st.

Same here, 15th june... According to Mod Mat K, it's from the date you sign up for beta so it should count if I don't sign up before 15th?

good idea. still keep it at 12 months but it shouldnt be consecutive. that would allow a lot more people to acces the beta which means more bugs found and what not.

i dont see how restricting Beta testing to consecutive subscribers and 50k ppl is beneficial when it could easily have 200k + testing it

De_Toke.png
max.png

And why is that?

There's no promise that you'd stick around after coming back from a hiatus.

hzvjpwS.gif

There's no promise that you'd stick around after coming back from a hiatus.

A person who came back from a hiatus to experience a very new, very large update has a higher chance of resubscribing than one that is already subscribed for 12 consecutive months and was probably going to keep it that way.

And in the context of a beta, that shouldn't matter either way.

crossed_body.png

good idea. still keep it at 12 months but it shouldnt be consecutive. that would allow a lot more people to acces the beta which means more bugs found and what not.

i dont see how restricting Beta testing to consecutive subscribers and 50k ppl is beneficial when it could easily have 200k + testing it

Keep in mind the cost of running servers. In addition, current players are most likely to have a better understanding of the current state of the game.

50k interested people who have not been members for 1 year is quite a large amount.

Be surprised if anyone who wants to doesn't get access.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

A person who came back from a hiatus to experience a very new, very large update has a higher chance of resubscribing than one that is already subscribed for 12 consecutive months and was probably going to keep it that way.

I'm confused. If someone is going to be subscribed and will continue, how can one exceed the other? At the very least, they are equal. You can't go higher than a 100% chance.

Well, and it doesn't, does it? Members can play every weekend, along with 50,000 other players who are selected for continuous testing and the year+'ers.

hzvjpwS.gif

Keep in mind the cost of running servers. In addition, current players are most likely to have a better understanding of the current state of the game.

Server costs for MMOs are minimal. And the current state of the game doesn't matter when you're testing an overhaul.

I'm confused. If someone is going to be subscribed and will continue, how can one exceed the other? At the very least, they are equal. You can't go higher than a 100% chance.

If somebody is subscribed 12 months in a row, chances are they'd be subscribed even without the beta.

If somebody recently came back from a long hiatus, chances are they'll be more inclined to keep their subscription after trying the beta. Or less inclined to unsubscribe, depending on your point of view.

crossed_body.png