The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Hmmm. So they're removing special attacks.

Depending on what they do with all of those weapons that are currently used only for specs (claws, dds, godswords, etc), there may be some massive price shifting going on.

However they do claim to be giving us more reason to use a variety of weapons so who knows.

Allow players’ combat levels to truly represent their ability – The combat level calculator is complicated and encourages players to not train certain skills in an attempt to create a false impression of their damage potential (pures).

I'm getting my stone bowl and preparing. The amount of EXP you'll be able to get from the Tears of Combat Pures mini-game could net me a few 99's.

"What do you mean I can't exploit the combat system anymore?" emot-qq.gif

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

From the RSOF (Quick find code: [qfc]296-297-72-63761232[/qfc]):

"This thread was originally posted because i tought the weapon prices were gonna crash, but Mod Rathe has revealed some interesting stuff about the combat rework in this thread.

Here's a list:

*Special attacks will be removed.

*All 4 godswords will be getting the same stats (Hilts will be cosmetic).

*Barrows/void sets won't be changed.

*The Enhanced excalibur special attack will be removed.

*Two handed weapons will have different special actions than one handed weapons.

*You "Unlock" abilities by leveling your skills.

*Not all actions are F2P

*Unlock abilities by completing Grandmaster Quests(?)

*The new abilities are not prohibited in any way in PVP, however you will have lots of abilities you can also use in PVP to help mitigate incoming damage.

*Things in the game that currently effect your special attack bar are being re-purposed to effect a new feature which we haven't announced yet.

*Full release date is unknown but planned in September (if everything goes smooth).

*At release you will automatically unlock special abilities you have the stats for.

*The currently common used "Spec weapons" will increase stat-wise."

EDIT: The guy kind of sucks at summarizing and is leaving out important info, so I'll add some quotes directly from the J mod

"As part of the combat update, every piece of armor and weaponry in the game is having its stats re-worked, so that current powerful weapons like the Godswords make up for the loss of their special attack by having bad-ass stats. "

"Also, two-handed weapons don't suck the big one in the new combat system."

"In regards to trying to bust out a dragon claws special with a maul, the new abilities have certain weapon requirements on them. For example, the dragon claws special is now known as the ability "Flurry", and cannot be performed with two-handed swords/mauls etc.

Big beefy 2h weapons get their own set of abilities to use, like the Armadyl Godsword special, which can't be performed with smaller weapons, like claws."

"Special restore pots will still be useful, they just do something different in the new system (not sure if we are revealing that particular new feature just yet...) "

"Generally speaking: set effects like barrows that go off every now and then, will continue to go off on your auto-attacks (the attacks that you do automatically when you click on an NPC). They will not trigger from the new abilities you use from the actionbar.

Auto-attacks continue going on in the background while you are using the bar to fire off the new abilities."

"For example, there is one Defence ability that causes the next ability used against you to heal you instead of harm you! Best save that one until you think the enemy is about to unleash a big attack against you as it has a recharge time."

"Ahem, but yes, the image you are talking about does feature a two-handed crossbow! These are new items we are adding to the game in the combat rework. The crossbows you have in the live game at the moment will remain one-handed weapons." "

Interesting word choice from that Jmod.

Doens't seem to professional, but that's not to say I don't like it. Seems more "real", lol

The top quote/list are from a random player who started the thread, he was just summarizing what the mod said.

The quotes below my edit are directly from the j mod.

Anyway I prefer when they can speak honestly and have a bit of fun, their 'official' statements can be infuriating.

It seems they are sending out email invites too. I just got one telling me I have gaurenteed and unlimited access because of my continued loyalty and commitment.

Uh -- I though Jagex didn't send out emails? :unsure:

Sounds to me like another "you have chosen to be a mod" scam ...

nyuseg.png

Hopefully that means my 10k spec rest pots might be used up faster than they have been. Shame about the enhanced excalibur though, that was my favorite training weapon if I was skilling and could take damage; and I'll be looking to find the best time to sell my d claws, might be a good time to get a bgs too considering the price is low.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

The EE itself will become a much stronger weapon

There will be abilities that fill the role of its special

I'm sure, just feeling a bit sad. Plus it sounds like these abilities need to be activated in combat, and I liked that the EE could be activated wherever (Unlike the SGS).

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I'd hope/assume the EE special (both forms) will be abilities unlocked via the task sets.

So it keeps the same basis just means it can be used elsewhere.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'd hope/assume the EE special (both forms) will be abilities unlocked via the task sets.

So it keeps the same basis just means it can be used elsewhere.

Now I'm speculating, but I don't think this will be the case for the EE

They did say however that they want to have unlockable abilities as quest rewards and stuff though, so I suppose the idea of unlocking them through diaries is plausible

EDIT: This thread contains all info given by j mods so far.

Shield-bows, slayer rates, tanking, etc

DOUBLE EDIT: Forgot qfc. 296-297-213-63761736

Oh you guys found my thread lol :P

Yes it is interesting, and it was hard to summerize because i didn't count on a jmod posting in the original thread.

Otherwise i would have reserved posts.

sigsj.png

Anyone have thoughts on the potential long-term effects on the economy?

If they rework mage gear to move the attack bonuses off of armour and onto weapons, Akrisae might replace Ahrim as the best barrows armour for mages, since the lower magic attack drawback won't be as much of an issue.

The removal of special attacks should affect the prices of popular spec weapons--but we don't know what sort of buffs they're getting to replace the specs, so it's hard to make a call at this time. I suspect d claws will drop, though.

It really depends on so much what the actual values are and how the system changed. More abilities is awesome. I'm hoping certain abilities that are currently quest specific will remain that way (EE, and Korasi for example)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

From the RSOF (Quick find code: [qfc]296-297-72-63761232[/qfc]):

"This thread was originally posted because i tought the weapon prices were gonna crash, but Mod Rathe has revealed some interesting stuff about the combat rework in this thread.

Here's a list:

Snip

*You "Unlock" abilities by leveling your skills.

*Not all actions are F2P

*Unlock abilities by completing Grandmaster Quests(?)

*The new abilities are not prohibited in any way in PVP, however you will have lots of abilities you can also use in PVP to help mitigate incoming damage.

*Things in the game that currently effect your special attack bar are being re-purposed to effect a new feature which we haven't announced yet.

*Full release date is unknown but planned in September (if everything goes smooth).

*At release you will automatically unlock special abilities you have the stats for.

Snip

If I'm assuming correctly (and I never do), the mod is talking about leveling non-combat skills to help unlock combat abilities. This sounds like a great thing and something that's been suggested for years (most common being the flame sword). Of course, I'm now wondering about the skills that already had direct impact on combat which are prayer, summoning, and herblore. I also like that gm quests are getting even more love.

Anyway, looks good so far. There'll be a 2 to 3 month beta if all goes well. Looking forward to it.

*Edit: Whoops. Just read the RSOF thread and the mod specifies combat skills. Oh well.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Yep. Abilities will be unlocked from levelling combat skills only (including hp).

Firemaking and agility explicitly confirmed not to do anything.

Yes it is interesting, and it was hard to summerize because i didn't count on a jmod posting in the original thread.

Lol sorry, and yeah I understand. Thanks though, it was helpful in tracking down all of the mod's comments.

Yep. Abilities will be unlocked from levelling combat skills only (including hp).

Firemaking and agility explicitly confirmed not to do anything.

Lol sorry, and yeah I understand. Thanks though, it was helpful in tracking down all of the mod's comments.

Since they're saying that the update will allow combat to grow, there's nothing stopping them from later having skills unlock specific abilities. For example, fishing, firemaking, woodcutting and agility can unlock abilities useful against water, fire, earth and air based creatures. Smith and Crafting can grant abilities to exploit weaknesses in the various armors. Depending on balance, this can be limited to PvM. Even better, these abilities could be used while skilling which could add some more fun. After all, what is a mining rock (tree, fishing spot, etc) but an slayer like NPC that you can only attack with a specific weapon and usually with 1 hitpoint and a guarenteed drop.

From the sounds of it, you'll have limited amount of abilities active on the main screen so I doubt it'll be unbalanced. Plus, it'll be similar to letting high level quests unlock abilities.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

It seems they are sending out email invites too. I just got one telling me I have gaurenteed and unlimited access because of my continued loyalty and commitment.

Just a note, that really sounds like a scam to me. If I were a phisher, that is exactly the sort of email I would be pumping out like mad. It's not often they get a chance to send a message that can't be declared a fake instantly by an educated user, so when they get something new like this, they are going to take advantage of it.

Since they're saying that the update will allow combat to grow, there's nothing stopping them from later having skills unlock specific abilities. For example, fishing, firemaking, woodcutting and agility can unlock abilities useful against water, fire, earth and air based creatures. Smith and Crafting can grant abilities to exploit weaknesses in the various armors. Depending on balance, this can be limited to PvM. Even better, these abilities could be used while skilling which could add some more fun. After all, what is a mining rock (tree, fishing spot, etc) but an slayer like NPC that you can only attack with a specific weapon and usually with 1 hitpoint and a guarenteed drop.

From the sounds of it, you'll have limited amount of abilities active on the main screen so I doubt it'll be unbalanced. Plus, it'll be similar to letting high level quests unlock abilities.

I don't think there's any way that they're suddenly going to do what is the literal equivalent of turning non combat skills into combat skills.

Remember the uproar over herblore when extremes/overloads were released?

It wouldn't be as bad if it was limited to pvm, but I still think it would end up creating situations where you'd end up needing to train non combat skills to remain competitive at bosses, or get the best slayer exp rates or whatever.

Just a note, that really sounds like a scam to me. If I were a phisher, that is exactly the sort of email I would be pumping out like mad. It's not often they get a chance to send a message that can't be declared a fake instantly by an educated user, so when they get something new like this, they are going to take advantage of it.

Actually, they are indeed sending mails to sign up IF you meet the requirements to be chosen, albeit, that doesn't take out the fact some of those might be phishers. I read that somewhere on forums where they confirmed this, and I actually got a sign up mail on the e-mail address that's related to my character (that only myself and jagex know of). They also send mails once a month regarding loyalty points and how many you've gotten and your new total (again, something only myself and jagex know), so it's safe to say they are legit. Nevertheless, I would just go to the main page and sign up from there.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif