The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Well, if all combat stats where raised to 100 (including Prayer) but not including Summoning as that's a multi-skill (combat and non-combat) your Combat Level would be 139.75 I believe.

But as they're changing the combat formulation, I doubt what I said will happen.

Plus jmods confirmed in a few videos and forum posts they are NOT adding new skills and they are NOT raising the existing combat skills beyond 99.

Any change to combat level is 180% related to formula alterations.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Combat levels

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Combat level is still based on your stat levels, but the calculation itself has been changed. We have not announced the new formula for combat levels yet.

296-297-213-63761736

EDIT: Yup. :D

they never "announced" the old ones, people just worked them out...

I'm fairly sure they did announced the combat level formula somewhere in the fansite admin only type areas of their service/forums, crewbies have referenced such things.

Certainly they never gave out many of the formulas we use, but the combat level one they have.

If I remember correctly, the old combat formula was indirectly 'announced' back then. It was in a dwarven wallpaper on the gallery section of the website.

EDIT: Yes they have

[hide=Wallpaper]RuneScape_Combat_Triangle_Wallpaper.jpg[/hide]

It's on the top right corner.

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/g=runescape/wallpaper---combat-triangle

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Range+mage will have the same weight as attack/str/def? So 4 levels=1 combat level so higher than 138 max combat.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Oh, it's just like Activision and Infinity Ward to me.

Good to know that people at Jagex are actually against decisions made by their investors. :)

Hmm, the not mentioned mod, wouldn't that be Mod Mark?

Just because he's head content developer doesn't necessarily mean he's in the combat team. :)

We know he's in the combat team, several videos from MCM and his blog indicate he has a large role in the combat rework.

Mod Chihiro was talking alongside with him in the MCM video. And I think "Chihiro" would be harder to remember than "Mark". :P

OT: Anyone notice the bar above the hotkeys? A level progress bar, could it be?

It also looks like the hotbar will function like the SoF button, dragable around your screen, and the lock button is the lock it in place. Or I could be wrong and the lock button could be locking the commands/actions in place incase you accidentally remove them.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I assumed that it was a health bar.

I assumed that or perhaps summoning special bar or something to do with what spec restore etc are being repurposed too.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I assumed that it was a health bar.

I assumed that or perhaps summoning special bar or something to do with what spec restore etc are being repurposed too.

Ya, it probably is the spec bar.

I've already stated I believe that bar is the cooldown bar. Jagex has a tendency to undershoot the uses of their UI. I fully expect to see rick click options such as "Check cooldown" for the hotkey's.

EDIT: Then again maybe we'll get messages in the game window stating "you can't use that ability for XX seconds" and that is our special bar... After all specials are being drastically changed.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Hahaha... they are probably gonna be increasing the cap to 120 on combat skills,

yeah they said they "wouldn't do it/have no plans to." But has that been stopping them lately? After the first BXP weekend they said they had no plans for another...

then there's the Squeal, Jcoins, the new discontinued item... just sayin'

SKKOL.pngskkol.png

sKKOL.pngskkol.png

Hahaha... they are probably gonna be increasing the cap to 120 on combat skills,

yeah they said they "wouldn't do it/have no plans to." But has that been stopping them lately? After the first BXP weekend they said they had no plans for another...

The only problem with that is that it would require you 10x the amount of exp required for 99.

The only problem with that is that it would require you 10x the amount of exp required for 99.

So? Only disadvantage I see (which would/could be major) is pissing people off who are happy at being lvl 99. They would have a lot more room to make bosses/gear/endgame things. ETC ETC ETC.

Give capes at 99 too, as well as 120 like DG.

But I think its more likely that range/mage will give extra combat levels like str/att/def already do.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

What would be more interesting would be splitting defense into melee range and mage portions, this would allow for some interesting pures, and buff the combat level a fair amount.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

But I think its more likely that range/mage will give extra combat levels like str/att/def already do.

Well -- if they are equalizing the combat triangle, then it'd make perfect sense for mage and range to have the same value effect on combat level as the melee stats, right? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

Any word on if you can visually see when the abilities become usable again? A color change timer like the HP and Energy has near the mini-map seems best. In addition, they can do this in potion and food slots, however the color change represents when you get the most from that slot such as lower health means more of the food shows normal while stats decreasing means more of the potion looks normal.

Does this make sense to everyone else or am I explaining it badly?

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Okay, it's already been confirmed that the combat formula is going to be changed. Now can we STOP MAKING NEW THREADS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

If the cap is changing, it seems rather safe to assume they're adjusting the weight of Mage and Range on combat levels. Our system has always favored melee and combat levels have reflected that. If they can achieve a more balanced triangle from this update like they want, then it's only fair for Magic and Range to factor in.

As it stands someone with level 1 range/mage can be level 138. Doesn't seem right to me.

cliffside1ra5.png

If they're still going to have the Combat Level formula and base it only on skills then it'll still be broken. Anyway a couple of things I hope change, but probably won't:

* Each armor slot will have a cool down timer activated in combat. Take off armor and you have to wait a certain time before wearing a new type. So hand and feet would be 3 seconds, head and legs would be 6 seconds while chest requires a 9 second cool down.

* Combat level is based both on skills and equipment in your inventory

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy

If they're still going to have the Combat Level formula and base it only on skills then it'll still be broken. Anyway a couple of things I hope change, but probably won't:

* Each armor slot will have a cool down timer activated in combat. Take off armor and you have to wait a certain time before wearing a new type. So hand and feet would be 3 seconds, head and legs would be 6 seconds while chest requires a 9 second cool down.

Can you explain what this would accomplish? As it stands, you're effectivily punishing someone for changing gear to meet/evade your opponents weaknesses/strengths, and I thought that is something they want to encourage. I honestly don't see what's bad about changing your gear.

Can you explain what this would accomplish? As it stands, you're effectivily punishing someone for changing gear to meet/evade your opponents weaknesses/strengths, and I thought that is something they want to encourage. I honestly don't see what's bad about changing your gear.

Gear changing quickly can result in someone not able to see full potential of your character. I like the idea of combat level reflecting not just skills but also items.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

So say if I had 70 attack/strength and 99 range, my combat level would be lower if I was using melee gear than range?

I'd rather have a static combat level, changing gear isn't hard and it shouldn't be hard, and having a balanced account should be encouraged. So in my example the player could gain a few attack/strength levels and not level combat.

I'd personally like to see someone getting melee based with 160 or 170 att+str with 99 magic/range (it is 150 now). I'd personally prefer 160.

That's the point. I'm not claiming Runescape is like real life, however in real life it takes time to remove and put on armor. If you're an archer and the knight closes in with you, you might have time to switch weapons, but you're not putting on full plate. Instead of 5 to 10 minutes it'd take in real life, a simple 9 second cooldown will discourage such activity in fast paced gameplay. As far as gameplay is concerned, I think this further helps the combat triangle by discouraging on the fly hybriding. It even makes combat a bit simpler as you and your opponent won't change up the situation by switching armor.

Anyway, I doubt Jagex will ever do this, but I do think it'd be a beneficial change overall.

nukemarine.png