The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Inb4 all players will receive one hotbar line upon release. For those who want more hotbar lines, you will be able to unlock them through hotbar tickets in the Squeal of Fortune.

Watatroll...

I am doubtful.

I'm not trolling in the slightest and wouldn't be surprised if they somehow incorporated microtransactions into the hotbar.

I think you are, not that i'm calling you out for beig a 'bad' troll, but everyone trolls jagex. It's pretty much a community ritual done at any point of an update. Whether its a teaser, playing the update for the first time, playing it after its been patched/nerfed/revamped there is always someone trolling jagex. It goes hand in hand with jagex's inability to meet players expectations with a reasonable track record. Lately also there's been these SoF-based trollings and it's kind of annoying to see them and I'm thinking that's why I choose to respond.

n Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.

EG not a troll.

I just dislike ppl misusing words.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

If they're still going to have the Combat Level formula and base it only on skills then it'll still be broken. Anyway a couple of things I hope change, but probably won't:

* Each armor slot will have a cool down timer activated in combat. Take off armor and you have to wait a certain time before wearing a new type. So hand and feet would be 3 seconds, head and legs would be 6 seconds while chest requires a 9 second cool down.

Can you explain what this would accomplish? As it stands, you're effectivily punishing someone for changing gear to meet/evade your opponents weaknesses/strengths, and I thought that is something they want to encourage. I honestly don't see what's bad about changing your gear.

That's the point. I'm not claiming Runescape is like real life, however in real life it takes time to remove and put on armor. If you're an archer and the knight closes in with you, you might have time to switch weapons, but you're not putting on full plate. Instead of 5 to 10 minutes it'd take in real life, a simple 9 second cooldown will discourage such activity in fast paced gameplay. As far as gameplay is concerned, I think this further helps the combat triangle by discouraging on the fly hybriding. It even makes combat a bit simpler as you and your opponent won't change up the situation by switching armor.

Anyway, I doubt Jagex will ever do this, but I do think it'd be a beneficial change overall.

Nor do dragons and magic exist in real life. Void argument.

But, why should changing armour be discouraged? Only argument I can imagine is that it's beneficial if you are really bad at pking. Don't nerf it for those that are good, but deal with it or get better yourself.

Think it's a stupid thread, no offense. Too much stuff we won't know until beta is out is involved, on top of the fact that none of it can be accurate due to testing stats etc. The 139 character is wielding a friggin' Dragon defender as a weapon..

553VriC.png?1

Inb4 all players will receive one hotbar line upon release. For those who want more hotbar lines, you will be able to unlock them through hotbar tickets in the Squeal of Fortune.

Watatroll...

I am doubtful.

I'm not trolling in the slightest and wouldn't be surprised if they somehow incorporated microtransactions into the hotbar.

I think you are, not that i'm calling you out for beig a 'bad' troll, but everyone trolls jagex. It's pretty much a community ritual done at any point of an update. Whether its a teaser, playing the update for the first time, playing it after its been patched/nerfed/revamped there is always someone trolling jagex. It goes hand in hand with jagex's inability to meet players expectations with a reasonable track record. Lately also there's been these SoF-based trollings and it's kind of annoying to see them and I'm thinking that's why I choose to respond.

n Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.

EG not a troll.

I just dislike ppl misusing words.

A troll was originally someone who acted out on the internet in order to get attention.

Anyway, C14 (Nash) is going to be happy if you can click a button on the hotbar to eat food and stuff:

http://forum.tip.it/topic/303622-beast-of-burdens-overloads-and-new-hot-keys/

updatehotkeys.png

But, why should changing armour be discouraged?

It would reward good preparation and having a balance of stats or friends to cover your weakness instead of being a one man army. As it is now the triangle is a big rock paper scissors game, with every playing being rock paper and scissors at the same time, it's only a matter of how fast you can change your open hand into a fist. I don't think that's how Jagex intended it to be considering they want to make combat less about flying through menus as fast as possible.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Hahaha... they are probably gonna be increasing the cap to 120 on combat skills,

yeah they said they "wouldn't do it/have no plans to." But has that been stopping them lately? After the first BXP weekend they said they had no plans for another...

then there's the Squeal, Jcoins, the new discontinued item... just sayin'

I don't think that would ever happen, I think if any of them were to be raised, it would only be Constitution.

Hahaha... they are probably gonna be increasing the cap to 120 on combat skills,

yeah they said they "wouldn't do it/have no plans to." But has that been stopping them lately? After the first BXP weekend they said they had no plans for another...

There's a difference between them saying they're not going to do it and they have no plans to. No plans to means it's not something they're working on. Wouldn't do means they have something against that idea. I can guarantee you that they were thinking about doing a 2nd BXP before the first one even finished. But, they needed to see how well that one fared first. The Squeal, well that... happened. Not sure what these J coins you're talking about are, or these discontinued items. But, um, holiday events have been around for years and have items you can only get at that event. I have nothing against Jagex introducing more things like these. I'd rather see people pay for the SoF for limited time items then for exp.

The only problem with that is that it would require you 10x the amount of exp required for 99.

So? Only disadvantage I see (which would/could be major) is pissing people off who are happy at being lvl 99. They would have a lot more room to make bosses/gear/endgame things. ETC ETC ETC.

Give capes at 99 too, as well as 120 like DG.

But I think its more likely that range/mage will give extra combat levels like str/att/def already do.

Better significantly increase the exp you earn in melee skills then. Honestly, considering equipment caps out at like lvl 80 tho, they still have a bunch of room. Consider 120 combat skills after there's lvl 90 and lvl 99 armours and weapons.

But, why should changing armour be discouraged? Only argument I can imagine is that it's beneficial if you are really bad at pking. Don't nerf it for those that are good, but deal with it or get better yourself.

Did you read his post? He was saying that armour changing goes against the spirit of the game because rapidly switching to a different class of armour somewhat defeats the point of the combat triangle. Also, hopefully people will have better things to do when pk'ing then switch armour back and forth anyways.

This obviously means that hybrid and tribrid gear would need to be made as well. I'm relatively sure Jagex has stated they will be making a lot of new weapons/armour with this update in order to fill tier gaps - so if those gaps are filled, why not hybrid/tribrid gear?

Think it's a stupid thread, no offense. Too much stuff we won't know until beta is out is involved, on top of the fact that none of it can be accurate due to testing stats etc. The 139 character is wielding a friggin' Dragon defender as a weapon..

I agree with this. So why am I posting and responding to so much >_<

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

If they're still going to have the Combat Level formula and base it only on skills then it'll still be broken. Anyway a couple of things I hope change, but probably won't:

* Each armor slot will have a cool down timer activated in combat. Take off armor and you have to wait a certain time before wearing a new type. So hand and feet would be 3 seconds, head and legs would be 6 seconds while chest requires a 9 second cool down.

Can you explain what this would accomplish? As it stands, you're effectivily punishing someone for changing gear to meet/evade your opponents weaknesses/strengths, and I thought that is something they want to encourage. I honestly don't see what's bad about changing your gear.

That's the point. I'm not claiming Runescape is like real life, however in real life it takes time to remove and put on armor. If you're an archer and the knight closes in with you, you might have time to switch weapons, but you're not putting on full plate. Instead of 5 to 10 minutes it'd take in real life, a simple 9 second cooldown will discourage such activity in fast paced gameplay. As far as gameplay is concerned, I think this further helps the combat triangle by discouraging on the fly hybriding. It even makes combat a bit simpler as you and your opponent won't change up the situation by switching armor.

Anyway, I doubt Jagex will ever do this, but I do think it'd be a beneficial change overall.

No, it's not a void argument as I acknowledged there's not a 1 to 1 correlation of the real world to runescape. Regardless of that, there's merit in a game that likes to base many aspects of itself off fantasy and real life to call upon those aspects not being met in the game.

In the end, it's about gameplay. If you think that rapidly able to switch armor and combat stances enhances gameplay, then that's fair. It's also fair to think that offering cooldown times to switching up weapons and armor enhances gameplay. No matter which path is taken, there will be people that excel at it. Also, an ad hominem makes for a poor example to defend your point.

If it helps, prayer and magic kind of have this set-up already. You must decide prior to any combat what magic and prayer book you're going to use. You don't get the option to switch in the middle of combat for the most part. Has this hindered or enhanced gameplay? To me, I think it improves it as even if you're a magician, you have to weigh the pros and cons for the book you choose. Now, offering cooldown to armor and weapon switching is not as extreme as requiring you to go to an NPC. It'd still be enough to impact gameplay, and in a positive manner for the most part.

YMMV

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I view what den said as slightly inflammatory and extraneous towards the conversation of the combat overhaul. Its just as bad as all those kids and the quest boss pillar meme. On that same note most players act out against jagex because they don't meet player expectations at a regular pace. Either content caters to pvmers, pvpers, low levels, high levels... There is always someone upset and althought I understand the importance of everyone having a say so it can get annoying to see that everyone feels entitled to open their mouth instead of biting the bullet or often and running with it. This stands as one of the biggest reason people very much dislike even going to the rsof for.

Another thing why on earth would a player see extra hotbars as a reward anyway? Surely they might feel their characters more decked out for efficiency, but act like you couldn't wipe your bar and set it up for your slayer grindfest, wipe it again and set it up for your pvm event all in a span of what... 5 minutes. After what we longstanding players have endured I am fairly certain a majority of them would have only expected one hotbar with much less usability than we will see in the future to come.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Did anyone else read the bit about overloads being allowed in the wildy in the rsof post (from pmod), is there conformation of this anywhere?

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Did anyone else read the bit about overloads being allowed in the wildy in the rsof post (from pmod), is there conformation of this anywhere?

If its the one sticky from the forum mod I am fairly certain it must be true since a mod decided to sticky it.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't think that would ever happen, I think if any of them were to be raised, it would only be Constitution.

Also big difference between saying no plans to do something then an update does it a few years later and the fact they have said in videos and answers specifically about THIS update they are not raising combat stats beyond 99.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Also big difference between saying no plans to do something then an update does it a few years later and the fact they have said in videos and answers specifically about THIS update they are not raising combat stats beyond 99.

The only major instance where they went against their word (Excluding statements that were made a few years ago, because you honestly can't count that) would be the Wilderness without an Anti-PJ timer. Apart from that, can't think of anything.

And yeah, they specifically said they will *not* raise the skills in this update. There is absolutely no reason for them to lie about this, it would be incredibly stupid.

In the end, it's about gameplay. If you think that rapidly able to switch armor and combat stances enhances gameplay, then that's fair. It's also fair to think that offering cooldown times to switching up weapons and armor enhances gameplay. No matter which path is taken, there will be people that excel at it. Also, an ad hominem makes for a poor example to defend your point.

If it helps, prayer and magic kind of have this set-up already. You must decide prior to any combat what magic and prayer book you're going to use. You don't get the option to switch in the middle of combat for the most part. Has this hindered or enhanced gameplay? To me, I think it improves it as even if you're a magician, you have to weigh the pros and cons for the book you choose. Now, offering cooldown to armor and weapon switching is not as extreme as requiring you to go to an NPC. It'd still be enough to impact gameplay, and in a positive manner for the most part.

It's true it's just a matter of gameplay. But let's consider that in the current fast-paced turn-based strategy that RS is, the only ways to make apm worthwhile are switches (prayer, equipment, spells, attack styles) and movement (which requires only a click every now and then). Personally I like being an army. Without gear switches, I would not like bosses like tormented demons. Simply because duoing them is really annoying. Your claim that it'd be 'in a positive manner for the most part' is baseless.

Imo you shouldn't consider the current .6 s ticks as lasting .6 secs. Like D&D rounds which are played in 10+ minutes, even though they last 6 secs nominally, but of course the other way around. When you go on a DKS trip, it's not 5-10 mins banking to go slay 400 kings in a couple of hours. It's a long trip through the caves, ending in a day-long stalk through the deep lair where you kill each king. A dks trip would take weeks in a story (with years in between them, to give the kings time to respawn (from regular dags)). Similarly, nobody kills 60 tds in an hour. Each stage of the fight takes minutes if not hours, each spawn is a long, fiery process taking days. Going into the Guthixian Temple in a story means days of no sleep to kill one or two demons, after which you slowly crawl back to the light above, showing a trophy torn from the demons body (aka dragon armour/claws).

Also, prayer does not have this setup, because there's one better prayer book (curses, especially with the combat overhaul introducing Anguish and Torment but also now).

Magic kind of has the choice, but only for mages. Without switches, everyone in the wilderness except SoA/Ancient mages would have vengeance. Big choice there.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Moedred gathered most of the info in his sticky from Mod Rathe's forum posts.

There's a difference between them saying they're not going to do it and they have no plans to. No plans to means it's not something they're working on. Wouldn't do means they have something against that idea. I can guarantee you that they were thinking about doing a 2nd BXP before the first one even finished. But, they needed to see how well that one fared first. The Squeal, well that... happened. Not sure what these J coins you're talking about are, or these discontinued items. But, um, holiday events have been around for years and have items you can only get at that event. I have nothing against Jagex introducing more things like these. I'd rather see people pay for the SoF for limited time items then for exp.

The thing is they SAID on the forums AND in clan chats after the first BXP took place that they had no plans on doing another, and a lot of people believed them, until that BTS came up that said they were doing another, and that wasn't years afterwards either.

Jcoins are what you buy spins with, microtransactions, Real money giving you an advantage over others, something they said they would NEVER do. Though to be fair is in direct relation to the squeal, so I guess technically Squeal and Jcoins count as 1 example.

I've been on RS since RSC, I know about holiday items, I guess I should have specified, the Fish mask, a new TRADEABLE discontinued item, something they said they would never do again after Santa hats, because of people selling for crazy profits and it not being in the spirit of why they were dropped, they tried untradeable stuff

(Bunny Ears and Scythe) I don't know why but after that they stopped holiday items altogether until the Yo-yo was released, which was over a year after.

(i think)

Honestly none of that stuff even bothers me, I've never taken RS too seriously, my stats reflect that, haha. I just think its funny when people say something will never happen because a J-mod said so, when that doesn't really mean anything anymore.

SKKOL.pngskkol.png

sKKOL.pngskkol.png

No, it's not a void argument as I acknowledged there's not a 1 to 1 correlation of the real world to runescape. Regardless of that, there's merit in a game that likes to base many aspects of itself off fantasy and real life to call upon those aspects not being met in the game.

YMMV

you're already punished for bringing more switches with less inventory spaces, why should you need to be punished again? Adding a cooldown would punish people who are willing to actually play the game, rather then just read the best setup then sit back and watch. More APM is something that RS desperately needs in endgame combat, not something that should be nerfed.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

The thing is they SAID on the forums AND in clan chats after the first BXP took place that they had no plans on doing another, and a lot of people believed them, until that BTS came up that said they were doing another, and that wasn't years afterwards either.

Jcoins are what you buy spins with, microtransactions, Real money giving you an advantage over others, something they said they would NEVER do. Though to be fair is in direct relation to the squeal, so I guess technically Squeal and Jcoins count as 1 example.

I've been on RS since RSC, I know about holiday items, I guess I should have specified, the Fish mask, a new TRADEABLE discontinued item, something they said they would never do again after Santa hats, because of people selling for crazy profits and it not being in the spirit of why they were dropped, they tried untradeable stuff

(Bunny Ears and Scythe) I don't know why but after that they stopped holiday items altogether until the Yo-yo was released, which was over a year after.

(i think)

Honestly none of that stuff even bothers me, I've never taken RS too seriously, my stats reflect that, haha. I just think its funny when people say something will never happen because a J-mod said so, when that doesn't really mean anything anymore.

And once again the thing is they said in videos and forum posts SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THIS UPDATE

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

(i think)

And once again the thing is they said in videos and forum posts SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THIS UPDATE that they are NOT changing it.

Therefore all arguments about 'they have said it before' are null and void because all previous instances were general statements that preceded the occurrence by months/years. This is information being actively and currently given specifically about the combat update.

And since this topic is about the combat change that is kind of the end of the matter, SOf etc. is going entirely off-topic.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

(i think)

And once again the thing is they said in videos and forum posts SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THIS UPDATE that they are NOT changing it.

Therefore all arguments about 'they have said it before' are null and void because all previous instances were general statements that preceded the occurrence by months/years. This is information being actively and currently given specifically about the combat update.

And since this topic is about the combat change that is kind of the end of the matter, SOf etc. is going entirely off-topic.

I don't think it's entirely off topic at all, my reading of the topic was future combat level changes, increasing the the skills to 120 would in fact, change the max combat level, The SoF and other things are just my argument as to why it's a possible thing, even though they said they wouldn't.

It's highly unlikely that it will be lumped in WITH the EoC update, but with EoC supposedly rebalancing combat entirely, there's no reason they couldn't release it VERY soon after, cause if they rebalance it with increasing the combats to 120 in mind all they have to do is change the numbers around, which I can't imagine would take that long at all.

I'm not trying to argue with anybody, but again, it's just naive to think that it's something that could never possibly happen, especially with an argument as flimsy as Jagex's word,

If they did a poll that said "Would you pay extra for higher level caps" and enough people said yes, I bet soon afterwards you'd see a new subscription option called "Super Members" for $14.99 or something, someone could make a fake news announcement on here saying they are adding something similar, and people would probably believe it, at least for a few minutes, because of Jagex recent actions, does it sound that unbelievable?

Again, I don't see anything wrong with it, If i was maxed already, I'd pay extra to go higher.

I don't think any of this is off topic either, 'cause it's all related to future combat level changes.

EDIT: AND we don't know if all of the EoC is gonna come in one update, or all throughout the year anyway, not to mention tweaks/additions. New maxes might be here sooner than anyone thinks.

SKKOL.pngskkol.png

sKKOL.pngskkol.png

(i think)

I have never heard of them saying they wouldn't be doing another BXPW and I'm willing to bet that it was due to misinterpretation of players("We have no plans atm" is just that, not "we won't be doing this")

The release of a new rare was YEARS after the release of the last one. Back then they might have said we are not going to do this anymore, but you cannot reasonably hold people to what they've said ages ago, when the situation has changed a lot. Same with what happened with F2P adverts. While I don't like it that much, the outrage because MMG said in 2009 they wouldn't be doing it is ridiculous.

And in this case, they have said that it WON'T come with this update and that there are *still* no plans for it. Yes, it might come in the future. I even think it will. But if there are no plans right now, at least not for another 6 months or so.

But, why should changing armour be discouraged?

It would reward good preparation and having a balance of stats or friends to cover your weakness instead of being a one man army. As it is now the triangle is a big rock paper scissors game, with every playing being rock paper and scissors at the same time, it's only a matter of how fast you can change your open hand into a fist. I don't think that's how Jagex intended it to be considering they want to make combat less about flying through menus as fast as possible.

They do it in WOW for balance.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

A troll was originally someone who acted out on the internet in order to get attention.

Anyway, C14 (Nash) is going to be happy if you can click a button on the hotbar to eat food and stuff:

http://forum.tip.it/topic/303622-beast-of-burdens-overloads-and-new-hot-keys/

updatehotkeys.png

action-bar-001.jpg

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/08/mmobility-runescape-dev-details-new-combat-hotbars-and-critic/

I might come back after all :o despite the SoF crap.

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.