The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Inb4 all players will receive one hotbar line upon release. For those who want more hotbar lines, you will be able to unlock them through hotbar tickets in the Squeal of Fortune.

Watatroll...

I am doubtful.

I'm not trolling in the slightest and wouldn't be surprised if they somehow incorporated microtransactions into the hotbar.

I think you are, not that i'm calling you out for beig a 'bad' troll, but everyone trolls jagex. It's pretty much a community ritual done at any point of an update. Whether its a teaser, playing the update for the first time, playing it after its been patched/nerfed/revamped there is always someone trolling jagex. It goes hand in hand with jagex's inability to meet players expectations with a reasonable track record. Lately also there's been these SoF-based trollings and it's kind of annoying to see them and I'm thinking that's why I choose to respond.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

In Jagex's new page describing the upcoming combat update, Combat HQ, they released several pages of explanations of new effects and systems. On the Buffs and Weaknesses page there is an image of a new combat UI with key player information.

56891397.png

Judging from the numbers above each player, I believe it is fairly safe to assume that this is the combat level.

Discuss.

patr1ckotg1.png

As I said earlier, they might just be rebalancing combat level calculation without adding any skills or increasing caps.

But something new would be cool, it's a possibility I suppose :)

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Possible, but what would they be testing with a combat level over the maximum currently? I am leaning more towards they planted that there as a hint, something that they have done before with various updates. They could as well just be fixing the glitched calculation of combat level where the instance of 96 prayer+99 summoning get you level 138; however if that's the approach they take to fixing it, that is just lazy as I don't see any limitations to just re-scaling the whole level calculation.

patr1ckotg1.png

It could just be for testing purposes.

It's quite the coincidence that it would be 1 level higher than the max combat currently though, would it not? Maybe JaGex did that purposely to cause a speculation within the community and they're just playing a sick joke :ohnoes:

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

I really would hate the cape tobe 139, it just doesn't look right. :wall:

140 would be a nice cap. Mainly because even numbers tend to look better. :lol:

Or is it just me...

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

With the increasing emphasis on boosted life points Jagex seems to be taking, it is also possible that we could see an increase in constitution level.

I really would hate the cape tobe 139, it just doesn't look right.

140 would be a nice cap. Mainly because even numbers tend to look better.

Or is it just me...

Nope, it irk's me too. 9 is just an odd number in my opinion.

patr1ckotg1.png

With the increasing emphasis on boosted life points Jagex seems to be taking, it is also possible that we could see an increase in constitution level.

I really would hate the cape tobe 139, it just doesn't look right.

140 would be a nice cap. Mainly because even numbers tend to look better.

Or is it just me...

Nope, it irk's me too. 9 is just an odd number in my opinion.

9 is, in fact, an odd number :P

I still think it was done for testing purposes, but that doesn't necessarily rule out the other suggestions.

Well, we know that Punch-bag has like 10000+ lifepoints from one of the videos they posted. I'm no expert on combat levels but couldn't 1000 constitution, 1 attack, 1 strength, etc. make combat level 139?

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Fire_God.png

Well, we know that Punch-bag has like 10000+ lifepoints from one of the videos they posted. I'm no expert on combat levels but couldn't 1000 constitution, 1 attack, 1 strength, etc. make combat level 139?

I haven't looked at the combat level calculation in detail, but I believe regardless of other stats, combat level increases by 1 for every increase of 4 constitution levels.

patr1ckotg1.png

Not sure if I'm pulling this out of the air or not, but I think I heard on a youtube video/read somewhere that combat levels would be changed reflecting on the gear that a player wears at the time of combat? Can't remember where I heard it though :(

dczlnn.pngUSPPEP8.pngdczlnn.png

An increase to Constitution is possible... very, very possible....

I try not to care that 9 looks weird as a cap, since skills are capped at level 99. >.<

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

They mentioned something about redoing the combat formula. 99 mage/def = 99 range/def = 99 melees/def. I think. Also doing things like being able to view combat potential - active prayers, potions, etc. I believe they mentioned they want to get rid of pures - that is, balance the combat formulas so people can't take advantage of it to make pures.

I doubt it'll be 139, but I'm sure they'll re-balance the combat formula, and as a result have a different level cap.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

It's not a testing thing as some suggested.

If you watch the most recent BTS video they mention combat level displays and say 'hmm it kind looks like an 8, you'll hear more about that soon' (paraphrasing) so pretty darn obvious it's a real combat level to do with the currently unannounced new formula (they confirmed on forums there is a new one, so kinda inevitable that max would change).

And as Sir Squab mentioned there has been some vague mentions of making mage, range and melee combat levels match (opposed to range and mage capping out a few levels lower) which again would mean it has changed the formula enough to give a new max.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Not sure if I'm pulling this out of the air or not, but I think I heard on a youtube video/read somewhere that combat levels would be changed reflecting on the gear that a player wears at the time of combat? Can't remember where I heard it though :(

I've heard that too (I think it was a rumour I heard though, not a video), I've also heard there will be no such thing as "combat levels" outside of combat-zones (meaning they won't appear, it'll just be the persons username).

I have no idea.

Personally, I'd like them to completely revamp it, I mean, it's totally unfair really the way you can "over power" at certain combat levels.

Maybe they'll do-away with attack/defence/strength levels (they only work when not wearing weapons/armours) and your overall level will be determined in what weapon/armour you have, which means you technically could be level 3 (1 att, def, str) but have the best gear, giving you a "visible" higher combat level, I think that'd be quite interesting.

Or, armour reflects your defence level, the higher it is, the better the armour becomes, same with attack, hopefully this would stop people having low-defence and low-attack.

Definitely not for testing purposes as the jmods hinted and joked about it.

I'm guessing it's just something to do with the new combat level formula, i can't see any new combat skill that would give only 1 level. (Although with overloads now usable in the wildy, that may effect cb level?)

CNqWHdA.jpg

Inb4 all players will receive one hotbar line upon release. For those who want more hotbar lines, you will be able to unlock them through hotbar tickets in the Squeal of Fortune.

Watatroll...

I am doubtful.

I'm not trolling in the slightest and wouldn't be surprised if they somehow incorporated microtransactions into the hotbar.

I think you are, not that i'm calling you out for beig a 'bad' troll, but everyone trolls jagex. It's pretty much a community ritual done at any point of an update. Whether its a teaser, playing the update for the first time, playing it after its been patched/nerfed/revamped there is always someone trolling jagex. It goes hand in hand with jagex's inability to meet players expectations with a reasonable track record. Lately also there's been these SoF-based trollings and it's kind of annoying to see them and I'm thinking that's why I choose to respond.

1. They already tried adding combat junk to the SoF. Developers said no.

[hide=Picture]rathe.png[/hide]

2. You see the little number on the right side. Would be so easy for them to just add microtransactions to further unlock more.

[hide=Picture]action-bar-001.jpg[/hide]

3. I was originally going to say they would just straight up sell the hotbar tabs, but Jagex never sell ingame benefits. They sell people a chance at ingame benefits.

I honestly believe they would pull a stunt as low as to sell hotbar tabs. The marketing team might have been told off on combat abilities, but I wouldn't put it past them to find a different way of sneaking themselves into the 'Biggest update ever'. Why wouldn't they take advantage of an opportunity like that. Loads will be trying out the combat rework, both beta and when it goes live.

Combat levels

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Combat level is still based on your stat levels, but the calculation itself has been changed. We have not announced the new formula for combat levels yet.

296-297-213-63761736

EDIT: Yup. :D

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Combat levels

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Combat level is still based on your stat levels, but the calculation itself has been changed. We have not announced the new formula for combat levels yet.

296-297-213-63761736

they never "announced" the old ones, people just worked them out...

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

*Sigh* Here we go again... They already said that they are changing the combat level formula to reflect more of the characters' DPS, but no skills are being added/changed

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Combat levels

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

296-297-213-63761736

they never "announced" the old ones, people just worked them out...

I'm fairly sure they did announced the combat level formula somewhere in the fansite admin only type areas of their service/forums, crewbies have referenced such things.

Certainly they never gave out many of the formulas we use, but the combat level one they have.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Well, if all combat stats where raised to 100 (including Prayer) but not including Summoning as that's a multi-skill (combat and non-combat) your Combat Level would be 139.75 I believe.

But as they're changing the combat formulation, I doubt what I said will happen.